Opinions on the Thierry Henry incident??

The World Game

Re: Opinions on the Thierry Henry incident??

Postby johntheclaret » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:15 am

whufc wrote:
smithy wrote:
whufc wrote:Am i right in saying that Ireland were still no certainties to go through and that if the goal hadn't been given the game was heading to penalties.

Thats right, it was heading for penalties.
Shay Given is one of the best shot stoppers going around too.

true but blokes like Henry Anelka and Viera aren't the worst penalty takers in the world.

My point was more all these people media/safooty that keep saying Ireland should be in the world cup and the result should be over turned well they were no certainties to win anyway.

One question i would like to ask the ref is what part of his body he thought Henry controlled the ball with, it was to low to be shoulder to high to be his feet and even Henry wouldn't be able to control a ball like that with his hip, how many times do you think the ref has replayed that moment in his head.

Maybe the ref was unsighted. Don't forget he has a split second and not the advantage of about eight camera angles all in slo mo

Your point about Ireland not necessarily going through is spot on
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby johntheclaret » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:23 am

Hey jackpot jim, did you see the spurs result
Spurs 9 Wigan 1
I think that scoreline was in response to your posts :lol: ;)
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby mal » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:01 am

johntheclaret wrote:Hey jackpot jim, did you see the spurs result
Spurs 9 Wigan 1
I think that scoreline was in response to your posts :lol: ;)

Boring one sided match !!!!!!!!!

Snippets from Henrigate, if they are true
Was it offside b4 the handball ? [is this true????]
FIFA is being criticised for being silent on the matter, FIFA is sponsored by ADDIDAS, ADDIDAS also sponsor The French team ...... [is this true ????]
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 923 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:22 am

jackpot jim wrote: Change the stupid rules, make the goals bigger or whatever it takes to allow more goals and so results like 8-5, 6-4, 10-8 are more typical so when a side totally flukes a goal like the Beach ball incident or cheats like Henry did, it doesn't have such an impact on the game and is less likely to influence the result.

Judging by results overnight, they took your well considered suggestions on board JJ.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Swooper16 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:26 am

I didnt see the game but i am not sure a 9-1 scoreline would be anymore exciting then a 2-1 game (unless your a tottenham supporter). I dont think goals neccessarily = entertainment. Of course a nil all draw is often a dull game but not always. I remember Arsenal Vs Man Utd in the FA cup in 99 where it finished 0-0 but one was one of the most exciting games i had seen (only to be surpassed a few days later ;) ).

And JJ if your team has 70% of possession 15 shots on goal and still cant get the win i am not sure you actually do deserve the victory.
Swooper16
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 2 times

Postby jackpot jim » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:10 pm

9 - 1 Holy Shit. :shock: Thats what i'm talking about. Geez, i might even become a soccer fan if i saw that much action in a game most weeks. Pity 10 goals in a game only happens once in 10 years. ;)
jackpot jim
Coach

Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 452 times

Postby Pag » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:17 pm

Bit harsh on Henry I think. He doesn't have to tell the ref he handballed it, the same way batsmen don't have to walk in cricket if they get a faint edge. It's up to the referees to make the calls, that's what they get paid for.

If, for example, you were a Crows supporter and they made the 2010 Grand Final and were down by a couple of points with a minute to go, and Tippett was involved in a marking contest in the goalsquare, gave a blatant shove in the back but took the mark and it was paid, are we to crucify Tippett for deciding a Grand Final, or are we to crucify the umpire's bad call?

I can't believe people are blaming Henry, if anything, blame FIFA for not using technology that is readily available to them.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 499 times

Postby devilsadvocate » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:51 am

Henry has come out overnight saying he is thinkig of quitting international football after being 'let down' by the lack of support from the French national body.

Suffer in yer jocks Henry.....live by the sword, die by the sword. You dug your own grave frogball.
devilsadvocate
Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:57 am

Pag wrote: If, for example, you were a Crows supporter and they made the 2010 Grand Final and were down by a couple of points with a minute to go, and Tippett was involved in a marking contest in the goalsquare, gave a blatant shove in the back but took the mark and it was paid, are we to crucify Tippett for deciding a Grand Final, or are we to crucify the umpire's bad call?

I think Crows supporters crucified the umpire's call this season didn't they?
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Zelezny Chucks » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:26 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:
Pag wrote: If, for example, you were a Crows supporter and they made the 2010 Grand Final and were down by a couple of points with a minute to go, and Tippett was involved in a marking contest in the goalsquare, gave a blatant shove in the back but took the mark and it was paid, are we to crucify Tippett for deciding a Grand Final, or are we to crucify the umpire's bad call?

Huge difference in this example, a push in the back can be interpreted differently by umpires, a handball has no interpretation whatsoever he either did it or he didn't.
Zelezny Chucks
League - Best 21

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 68 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby whufc » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:23 pm

Zelezny Chucks wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:

Huge difference in this example, a push in the back can be interpreted differently by umpires, a handball has no interpretation whatsoever he either did it or he didn't.

No there is a massive difference between handball and ball to hand in soccer
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5610 times
Been liked: 2538 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby CoverKing » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:24 am

For mine, Henry is being unfairly scrutinised.

Has any soccer fan seen a player score a goal after a handball incident tell the ref to take the goal back?

In the EPL the same thing happened, it was a handball on the w.e and he finished it off with a goal. He didnt say anything. its not his place to.

As for the cricket liking, if you edged one to the keeper and didnt walk, the ump gives u not out, how often is a player criticised.

With so much money and bonuses on the line for making the world cup finals, every player looks to bend the rules slightly to gain an advantage. Im sure players committed many fouls during that game that were not penalised, and those players also didnt tell the ref to give the opposition a free kick.

Criticising Henry for mine is stupid. Its the ref's fault, the linesmans fault for not being in the correct position and also FIFAs fault, with such massive money amounts on the line, that a video replay or something is not available to the refs, especially in the penalty box.

Maybe an NFL type rule could be introduced to soccer, where coaches can get one unsuccessful challenge a match, where the ref is allowed to check video footage. Just my 2 cents worth
I Want to be a Western Youth Ranger!
CoverKing
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders Park

Postby Zelezny Chucks » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:41 am

whufc wrote:
Zelezny Chucks wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:

No there is a massive difference between handball and ball to hand in soccer

And the minimum result of either would be a free kick would it not?
Zelezny Chucks
League - Best 21

Postby whufc » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:23 pm

no ball to hand is play on.

in saying that though not for one second do i think Thierry Henry's wasn't handball.
whufc
Coach

Postby Zelezny Chucks » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:21 pm

Your saying ball to hand that had a direct influence in a goal would not have been pulled up?
Zelezny Chucks
League - Best 21

Postby devilsadvocate » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:52 pm

Zelezny Chucks wrote:Your saying ball to hand that had a direct influence in a goal would not have been pulled up?

He's correct:
(from http://www.soccerhelp.com/Soccer_Tips_Dictionary_Terms_H.shtml#hand_ball)
Hand Ball Soccer * Strangely, the term "Hand Ball" is commonly used, but is not defined in the official FIFA rules. It is a "direct kick foul" if a player (other than the goalkeeper inside his own penalty area) deliberately handles the ball (meaning to deliberately touch the ball with any part of the arm from the finger tips to the top of the shoulder). If the player handles it for the purpose of preventing an opponent from gaining possession, it is a "cautionable offense" and a yellow card should be given. If a player deliberately handles the ball to deny an obvious goal scoring opportunity (e.g., to prevent a breakaway or to deliberately stop a shot), a red card should be given and the player "sent off". However, a hand ball foul should not be called if: (1) a player is instinctively trying to protect himself from injury or (2) the player did not deliberately touch the ball but the ball hit his arm & he did not move the arm toward the ball (however, if the player's arms were in an unnatural position such as above his shoulders or sticking out to the sides, then he should be called for a handball). (See "Fouls").

Example - a team mate shoots for goal, hits stiker on the arm after the striker moves his arm to cover his bollox. The ball then bobbles back to said team mate who bangs the rebound into the back of the net - result - goal.

Of course, this does not apply if the team to be disadvantaged by such a goal is Manchester United. In this case, all players on the disadvantaged team surround the ref and abuse him until the decision is overturned and the offending striker is sent off.

OR - if you play for France who are sponsored by adidas and present a far bigger drawcard for the biggest tournament in the world. In which case, the governing body instructs the referee to take any precautions necessary to ensure France progress in fear of losing sponsorhip dollars from adidas for the big event.
devilsadvocate
Coach

Postby whufc » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:21 pm

If people are still feeling sorry for Ireland and think they were so hard done by check this link out.
Its from earlier in the 2010 world cup qualifers,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jf9fx4ipF4Q

Ireland went on to win the game 2-1, did they offer the Georgians a re-match, i don't think so, you take the good with the bad.
whufc
Coach

Postby devilsadvocate » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:26 pm

whufc wrote:If people are still feeling sorry for Ireland and think they were so hard done by check this link out.

Ireland went on to win the game 2-1, did they offer the Georgians a re-match, i don't think so, you take the good with the bad.

The thing with that incident is that there no cheating involved. The paddys just took advantage of some shocking refereeing. And while the Frenchies did the same, they took advantage of some shocking refereeing AFTER the had DELIBERATELY CHEATED.

To be honest, I can't actually work out what a penalty was awarded for in that clip :?
devilsadvocate
Coach

Postby whufc » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:38 pm

devilsadvocate wrote:
whufc wrote:If people are still feeling sorry for Ireland and think they were so hard done by check this link out.

The thing with that incident is that there no cheating involved. The paddys just took advantage of some shocking refereeing. And while the Frenchies did the same, they took advantage of some shocking refereeing AFTER the had DELIBERATELY CHEATED.

To be honest, I can't actually work out what a penalty was awarded for in that clip :?

I agree with your differential between bad reffing and cheating. Henry without question deliberatly handled the ball. My main point is when Ireland got a decision there way they didn't exactly hand the ball back or miss the penalty to even it up (which i wouldn't expect them to do).

Is Henry deliberatly handling the ball cheating any more than players commiting professional fouls, is it any worse than players who time waste and fake injuries throughout the last ten minutes of a game?
whufc
Coach

Postby devilsadvocate » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:58 pm

whufc wrote:Is Henry deliberatly handling the ball cheating any more than players commiting professional fouls, is it any worse than players who time waste and fake injuries throughout the last ten minutes of a game?

Nope. Professional Foul = Cheating. Rolling on the floor with an 'injury' in the last few mins of a game = cheating.

Both are instances that drive me nuts. There should be more red cards handed out for professional fouls. Far too many refs let 'last man standing' fouls go with only a yellow card. There was a shocker on Leckie the other night - yellow card. It's a disgrace.
devilsadvocate
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Soccer