Good Soccer Forums

The World Game

Re: Good Soccer Forums

Postby Bully » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:00 am

devilsadvocate wrote:Brilliant football forum:

http://www.spurscommunity.co.uk

On the attendance issue, I'm sure the EPL could be up there if stadium capacity was similar to that in the US/Aus/Chermany.

Fulham have a tiny ground, as do Pompey, Blackburn, Wigan, Wet Spam, Spurs***, Birmingham, and even Chavski compared to the likes of the AFL and NFL.

On Spurs, there is a season ticket waiting list of 22,000. With the new ground being built, capacity will go from 36,000 to 59,000 and I'd be suprised if there is ever less than 50k at the new place for an EPL game.

yeah its strange at chelski that the russian hasnt made plans to increase the ground seen as man city have taken all the players in the world so chelski wont have anything to spend the russians money on now. Maybe a stadium upgrade?
Bully
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 120 times

Postby Wedgie » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:28 am

On the attendance issue, I'm sure the EPL could be up there if stadium capacity was similar to that in the US/Aus/Chermany.

Fulham have a tiny ground, as do Pompey, Blackburn, Wigan, Wet Spam, Spurs***, Birmingham, and even Chavski compared to the likes of the AFL and NFL.

On Spurs, there is a season ticket waiting list of 22,000. With the new ground being built, capacity will go from 36,000 to 59,000 and I'd be suprised if there is ever less than 50k at the new place for an EPL game.

Thanks for the info da, I'll check out that forum. Yeah Ive always thought that might be the issue with EPL (in regard to attendances) especially with having so many teams go up and down all the time too.

I'm sure if there was some sort of "Super League" only involving the more popular teams in large scale arenas they'd easily be up there.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2062 times
Been liked: 3919 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Il Duce » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:20 pm

Bulldog wrote:

yeah its strange at chelski that the russian hasnt made plans to increase the ground seen as man city have taken all the players in the world so chelski wont have anything to spend the russians money on now. Maybe a stadium upgrade?

Stamford Bridge cant really be expanded, the Chelsea Village hotel at the back of the shed stand (to the left on the tv) the east and west stands have been expand as much as they could be (with knocking them down and rebuilding) and the matt harding stand (to your right on the tv) back up to the road, if memory serves me correctly. Also Chelsea cant leave Stamford Bridge as whe the club was form there was a clause put in that if they ever leave Stamford Bridge they leave the name Chelsea FC behind as well.
The problem with Barcelona is that I like fish and chips but they had to turn it into calamari and patatas
Il Duce
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: CBCOC

Postby devilsadvocate » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:38 am

Il Duce wrote:
Stamford Bridge cant really be expanded, the Chelsea Village hotel at the back of the shed stand (to the left on the tv) the east and west stands have been expand as much as they could be (with knocking them down and rebuilding) and the matt harding stand (to your right on the tv) back up to the road, if memory serves me correctly. Also Chelsea cant leave Stamford Bridge as whe the club was form there was a clause put in that if they ever leave Stamford Bridge they leave the name Chelsea FC behind as well.

That's very interesting about the clause in the constitution.

Without taking the piss too much, Chelski also don't really have the need to upgrade capacity as they rarely sell out. They do against the big 4 and London rivals, but the rest of the time, it's pretty easy to get tickets direct from the club.
devilsadvocate
Coach

Has liked: 3 times

Postby RoosterMarty » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:22 pm

devilsadvocate wrote:
Il Duce wrote:

Without taking the piss too much, Chelski also don't really have the need to upgrade capacity as they rarely sell out. They do against the big 4 and London rivals, but the rest of the time, it's pretty easy to get tickets direct from the club.

This is true. Even in the Champs League they often don't sell out. I would kill to watch my team in a UCL match, heck I'd even go to Stamford Bridge to see one I reckon.
RoosterMarty
Coach

Has liked: 10 times

Postby devilsadvocate » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:41 pm

RoosterMarty wrote:This is true. Even in the Champs League they often don't sell out. I would kill to watch my team in a UCL match, heck I'd even go to Stamford Bridge to see one I reckon.

Yep, especially in the champs league. Obviously against the likes of Barca etc, and the other English clubs they'd sell out, but even Chavski v Juve in the first knockout round it was possible to get tickets. Ridiculous.
devilsadvocate
Coach

Has liked: 3 times

Postby Il Duce » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:32 pm

devilsadvocate wrote:
Il Duce wrote:

Well the whole reason Chelsea fc even are around is because in 1905 the owners of Stamford Bridge wanted a football team, at first they asked Fulham fc (as Stamford Bridge is actually in Fulham) they said no as they wanted to stay at Craven Cottage, so the owners of Stamford Bridge created Chelsea Fc and to make sure that Stamford Brdige would always have a team they put in the clause that if Chelsea Fc ever left they would have to leave the Chelsea name behind.

Also agreed Chelsea dont often sell out, it also may have something to do with they have the most exspensive tickets in the premier league (for general adminsion) and they dont have the biggest support (which is more than fine by me.)
The problem with Barcelona is that I like fish and chips but they had to turn it into calamari and patatas
Il Duce
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: CBCOC

Postby johntheclaret » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:46 pm

Wedgie wrote:
SJABC wrote:And as for the original question, despite people taking the pi55, I think this forum is great mainly due to the fantastic work of John the Claret.

Must admit I don't come in here as often as you and I have missed anyone taing the pi55 but I do agree JTC does a fantastic job. Personally Im a bit more diverse and have an interest in many leagues around the world moreso than English soccer as that I find quite boring and would love to see more stuff up on here from all around the world in the world game so I thought of being proactive and starting a couple of topics myself only to be met with some derision by yourself. I hope others will be a bit more broad minded and accepting of thoses who follow the game in different parts of the world. I think we should be welcoming of discussion about comps from all around the world.

PS Why are we saying pi55 and not piss?

PPS With my original question I was more interested in what other forums people use as obviously Ive found this one, but I do apologise for not being clearer.

It's not that I'm not diverse. I enjoy lots of different codes and have an interest in "The World Game" as a whole, but I tend to post on the English football because I live here and feel I can offer a bit of an insight into the game over here.
iIt's a bit like SANFL. you know how much I love following north, but living on the other side of the globe, I rely on others who live locally for thier insight. I guess it's horses for courses and if I was still living in Adelaide, I would be a lot more active on the SANFL boards.

PS. thanks Jabber for the compliment. I'm glad you find my ramblings of interest. I think having a pom living in England posting on the soccer section of an Australian board just gives it an added dimensiono, or at least that's what i've tried to achieve. Just like it would be great to get someone from Argentina posting on the Argentinian league.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Previous

Board index   Other Sports  Soccer