Scottish Football News Season 2009 / 2010

The World Game

Re: Scottish Football News Season 2009 / 2010

Postby johntheclaret » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:23 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:screw the bhoys......

aberdeen got a 1-0 win at home as expected

just need to keep accumulating the points

:oops: genuinely sorry MT, for some inexplicable reason I thought you were a bhoys fan. Sorry mate, it wasn't meant as a jibe.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:20 pm

johntheclaret wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:screw the bhoys......

aberdeen got a 1-0 win at home as expected

just need to keep accumulating the points

:oops: genuinely sorry MT, for some inexplicable reason I thought you were a bhoys fan. Sorry mate, it wasn't meant as a jibe.

yeah yeah, you'll keep sunshine!!!!!!!!! :evil: :twisted: :evil:

;) :lol:
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 12317 times
Been liked: 3922 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:21 am

Tuesday, 22 September 2009 - LEAGUE CUP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dundee

Malone (39)
Forsyth (55)
Griffiths (105)

3-2
(HT 1-0) Aberdeen

Paton (63, 88)

Bookings:

Klimpl (74)

Bookings:

Pawlett (63)

After Extra Time

Match Report

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hibernian

Stokes (1)

1-3
(HT 1-1) St Johnstone

Swankie (7)
Millar (76)
Morris (82)

Bookings:

McBride (76)
Stokes (90+2)

Bookings:

Grainger (37)
Anderson (48)
Morris (54)
MacKay (72)

Match Report

Kilmarnock

Kyle (87)

1-2
(HT 0-0) St Mirren

McGinn (64)
Dorman (90+3)

Bookings:

Pascali (48)

Bookings:

Barron (73)

Match Report

Motherwell

McHugh (33)
Bulvitis (og 94)
Forbes (119)

3-2
(HT 1-0) Inverness CT

Barrowman (70)
Munro (111)

Bookings:

Hateley (86)

Bookings:

Proctor (30)
Golabek (81)
Foran (90+1)

Sent off:

Proctor (72)

After Extra Time

Match Report

Ross County

0-2
(HT 0-1) Dundee Utd

Wilkie (36)
Russell (77)

Bookings:

Myrie-Williams (60)

Sent off:

Scott (83)

Match Report
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:25 am

once again a club in the lower leagues knocked out Aberdeen in a cup tie.

im still bemused as to why the club chose to let Jimmy Calderwood go, the man had the right idea for the lads. The club were sitting bottom of the league at the end of september last year and he managed to get them upto 4th spot. He always got the very best out of the players he had and we were always competitive against the Old Firm teams.

the club is now a basket case, i will still follow them, still wear the shirt, but under no illusions that the next step for the club is down into div 1
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:36 pm

Saturday, 26 September 2009

Falkirk

0-0
(HT 0-0) Kilmarnock

Bookings:

McLean (4)
Danijel Marceta (40)
Scobbie (67)
Finnigan (89)

Bookings:

Invincibile (43)
Skelton (90+2)

Match Report

Hearts

Stewart (pen 56)

Suso Santana (57)

2-1
(HT 0-0) Hamilton

Marco Paixao (62)

Bookings:

Black (51)

Bookings:

Canning (56)
McLaughlin (71)
McArthur (83)
Mason (88)

Match Report

Motherwell

Reynolds (35)

1-3
(HT 1-1) Hibernian

Nish (9)
Riordan (51)
Zemmama (55)

Bookings:

O'Brien (54)

Bookings:

Miller (61)
David Wotherspoon (76)

Match Report

Rangers

0-0
(HT 0-0) Aberdeen

Bookings:

McCulloch (49)
Naismith (57)

Bookings:

Duff (85)

Match Report

St Johnstone

Dods (og 37)
Hardie (72)

2-3
(HT 1-1) Dundee Utd

Cadamarteri (pen 34)

Webster (48)
Goodwillie (77)

Bookings:

Goodwillie (80)

Sent off:

Swanson (87)

Match Report

St Mirren

0-2
(HT 0-1) Celtic

McCourt (27)
Maloney (78)

Bookings:

Thomson (42)
Potter (55)
Innes (82)

Bookings:

Brown (53)
Killen (55)
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:05 am

Review Rangers v Aberdeen

Walter Smith admits Rangers' impotency in front of goal in recent games is a cause for concern but is hopeful they will rediscover their killer instinct with two massive games looming next week.
The Scottish champions were held to their third successive goalless draw in the Clydesdale Bank Scottish Premier League when Aberdeen left Ibrox with a point, having been held by Kilmarnock and Motherwell in their previous outings.

Rangers have now failed to find the back of the net in the league in 293 minutes of football and Smith concedes his side are nowhere near the level which saw them clinch a domestic double last term.
He said: "It's something that has been with us for the last two or three games and we have not quite reached the levels of last season in the final third of the pitch. The last three matches in the league have been 0-0 and we have had a lot of opportunities to do better in the area that counts and haven't done so. It's something we will have to look at. It's causing a bit of concern. We only hope things click into place soon."

Last season's top goalscorer Kris Boyd was dropped to the bench for the visit of the Dons and Smith explained: "The last two games were 0-0 draws so we thought we would freshen things up a little bit in that area."
Steven Davis was ruled out with flu, while a hamstring injury kept Sasa Papac out of the action.

Smith is now waiting to learn whether both will be fit for Tuesday's Champions League game against Sevilla, followed by the first Old Firm derby of the season next weekend.

Reflecting on the game, he added: "I felt we started very well and we were very bright in the first half hour and we had the best opportunities to score in that period. As the game went on, Aberdeen grew in confidence as you would expect and were dangerous at set-plays. We are disappointed overall not to get the goal but you have to give Aberdeen credit for defending well."

Aberdeen boss Mark McGhee felt the performance and result answered their critics in the wake of their League Cup exit to Irn-Bru First Division side Dundee in midweek, with Dons legend Joe Harper branding the players "bottlers."

McGhee said: "I was so disappointed, and the supporters were disappointed and angry, that we lost the Dundee game in the circumstances that we did. The supporters came here today with a big question mark over the squad and they answered their critics. There were accusations of not having the bottle, which I ridiculed immediately. They put in a disciplined and organised performance and stood up to be counted today. For the first time, we almost have something to build on."

McGhee believes Aberdeen could even have snatched victory had referee Iain Brines pointed to the penalty spot when Lee Miller went to ground under pressure from David Weir shortly before half-time. "I thought it was a stonewaller and so did his team-mates," he said. "But Lee Miller says it was 50/50 so we will take his word for it."
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby cujimmy » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:41 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:once again a club in the lower leagues knocked out Aberdeen in a cup tie.

im still bemused as to why the club chose to let Jimmy Calderwood go, the man had the right idea for the lads. The club were sitting bottom of the league at the end of september last year and he managed to get them upto 4th spot. He always got the very best out of the players he had and we were always competitive against the Old Firm teams.

the club is now a basket case, i will still follow them, still wear the shirt, but under no illusions that the next step for the club is down into div 1

I wouldnt think the Dons will be as poor as 1st Div material MT but i agree with you on Calderwood.

Sadly i think alot of Aberdeen fans are still living in the 80's (including Mr Milne), this puts unrealistic ambitions in the minds of the fans and also gives the manager an up-hill stuggle before he even starts, Jimmy Calderwood had a few lows but brought back abit of stability, now i think under McGhee they've lost that.
cujimmy
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Aldinga

Postby Bully » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:30 pm

Not long to go until the old firm starts!! go the Bhoys!!!! Will watch the first half on Setanta and then watch the Gunners plays the Blacks!
Bully
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 120 times

Postby johntheclaret » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:37 pm

Bulldog wrote:Not long to go until the old firm starts!! go the Bhoys!!!! Will watch the first half on Setanta and then watch the Gunners plays the Blacks!

They ain't called the "blacks". Use thier correct name if you are going to quote them. It's the b4st4rds. :lol: ;)
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby Bully » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:42 pm

just coz you dont like them ;)
Bully
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:18 pm

This weekend's action

Sunday, 4 October 2009
Rangers 0-0 Celtic

Saturday, 3 October 2009
Hamilton 0-2 St Johnstone
Hibernian 1-1 Dundee Utd.
Kilmarnock 1-1 Aberdeen
Motherwell 1-0 Falkirk
St Mirren 2-1 Hearts

Round up

Hibernian moved up to second in the Clydesdale Bank Scottish Premier League ahead of the Old Firm derby between Rangers and Celtic on Sunday with a 1-1 draw against Dundee United
Defender Andy Webster earned United a point with a deflected second half equaliser to cancel out Merouane Zemmama's first half opener.
Craig Levein's side finished the match with ten men after Prince Buaben was shown a straight red card by referee Mike Tumilty following an off-the-ball incident involving Hibs striker Anthony Stokes.

Lukas Jutkiewicz scored his first goal in two and a half years to give Motherwell a 1-0 victory against Falkirk.
The on-loan Everton striker headed home Chris Humphrey's near-post corner in the 18th minute of a low-key encounter at Fir Park.
Falkirk substitute Mark Stewart missed an open goal after Scott Arfield had struck the bar as the visitors extended their run without scoring to five games.

Aberdeen stretched their unbeaten SPL run to six games after Gary McDonald's late equaliser secured a 1-1 draw against Kilmarnock at Rugby Park.
Killie striker Connor Sammon missed a great chance just after the break before Danny Invincibile gave the home side a 77th-minute lead.
However, the visitors fought back and six minutes from the end, after Killie keeper Mark Brown fumbled a Charlie Mulgrew free-kick, McDonald knocked the ball in to the empty net from close range.

St Mirren finally smashed their home hoodoo when they picked up their first SPL win at their new stadium with a 2-1 victory over Hearts.
The Buddies moved to the Greenhill Road area of Paisley back in January but had toiled in league matches until Craig Dargo's impressive winner finally ended their long wait.
The Jambos had taken the lead through Jose Goncalves in what was their first visit to the new St Mirren Park but Steven Thomson levelled for Saints before Dargo grabbed the decisive goal.

St Johnstone finally ended their wait for an SPL win with a richly-deserved 2-0 victory at Hamilton.
Steven Anderson's maiden SPL goal and a stunning first for the club from Danny Grainger hauled promoted Saints off the foot of the table and above their opponents.
A first top-flight clean sheet of the campaign will also please manager Derek McInnes as Accies failed once to seriously test Alan Main.

Madjid Bougherra dropped out of the Rangers side with flu for the Old Firm derby against Celtic at Ibrox.
The stopper's probable replacement, Lee McCulloch, also fell victim to the flu leaving Sasa Papac to move in alongside David Weir.
Ibrox manager Walter Smith made four changes in total with Kris Boyd, Andrew Little, Kenny Miller and Steven Smith coming in with Kevin Thomson dropping out with a knee injury and Jerome Rothen starting on the bench.
Celtic manager Tony Mowbray made three changes to his side as he gave a surprise debut to China captain Zheng Zhi and the first start of the season to left-back Lee Naylor.
Glenn Loovens returned to partner Stephen McManus with Gary Caldwell and Georgios Samaras starting on the bench as Danny Fox dropped out injured.

Table

Teams P GD PTS
1 Celtic 7 9 17
2 Rangers 7 7 13
3 Hibernian 7 5 13
4 Dundee Utd 7 3 12
5 Motherwell 7 2 12
6 Aberdeen 7 2 10
7 St Mirren 7 -2 8
8 Hearts 7 -3 7
9 Kilmarnock 7 -1 6
10 St Johnstone 7 -5 6
11 Hamilton 7 -10 4
12 Falkirk 7 -7 3
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:37 am

:oops: what a drongo. :oops: No wonder I couldn;t find any match reports, the bloody game hadn't even been played. Take me to a dark room I need to lie down for a while.

here's the correct result

Rangers 2 Celtic 1

And here's the round up

A first-half double by Kenny Miller was enough to give Rangers a 2-1 victory in an enthralling Old Firm derby against Celtic at Ibrox.
The former Hoops player struck twice in the first 16 minutes, but the visitors were handed a lifeline when Sasa Papac fouled Celtic's Chinese debutant Zheng Zhi inside the box and Aiden McGeady scored from the spot.
Celtic piled forward in the second half but to no avail, and their lead at the top of the Clydesdale Bank Premier League over the Light Blues is now only one point.

Tony Mowbrayadmitted he was unhappy with Celtic's after they gifted Kenny Miller at least one of his goals. "We allowed them to score," Mowbray said. "There was a lot of quality in our side and yet we find ourselves having lost the game. The bottom line is, I've been critical of them over the last few weeks, hoping to get a reaction and yet the mistakes are still there."

Rangers, denied Lee McCulloch and Madjid Bougherra through flu, also lost Andrew Little - making his Old Firm debut - and Kris Boyd to injuries in the first half.
And Gers boss Walter Smith admitted he was disappointed with some of his side's play. "We could have caused Celtic more trouble," he said. "But we've ended up defending very well." Miller added: "We can play better. We were a bit edgy a bit panicky in the second half but we got the points and that's all that matters."

And the correct Table

Teams P GD PTS
1 Celtic 7 8 16
2 Rangers 7 8 15
3 Hibernian 7 5 13
4 Dundee Utd 7 3 12
5 Motherwell 7 2 12
6 Aberdeen 7 2 10
7 St Mirren 7 -2 8
8 Hearts 7 -3 7
9 Kilmarnock 7 -1 6
10 St Johnstone 7 -5 6
11 Hamilton 7 -10 4
12 Falkirk 7 -7 3
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby Bully » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:13 pm

yes watched the first half of the old firm and was very dissapointed in the 2 goals from miller in the first 16 mins :(
Bully
Coach

Postby Il Duce » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:08 am

I know he doesnt play anymore but I thought this was intresting, I am reading Neil Lennon's auto biography, the first club he was actually offred a contract with was Rangers :shock: how diffrent things could of been
The problem with Barcelona is that I like fish and chips but they had to turn it into calamari and patatas
Il Duce
League - Best 21

Grassroots Team: CBCOC

Postby johntheclaret » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:22 pm

Il Duce wrote:I know he doesnt play anymore but I thought this was intresting, I am reading Neil Lennon's auto biography, the first club he was actually offred a contract with was Rangers :shock: how diffrent things could of been

Off topic, but it is funny how clubs let future stars slip through thier fingers.

Just three from Burnley,

Steve Bruce, was an apprentice at the clarets for 3 years before being let go. He was signed up by Man U.

Lee Dixon was a junior at Burnley for 3 or 4 years but it was decided he just wouldn't make the grade. Arsenal signed him.

Michael Essien was at Burnley, but at the time the clarets had a policy of not paying apprentices more the £60 per week so we let him go. I think he ended up at Chelski ;)
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby Loose_Arab » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:10 pm

ha
Loose_Arab
Mini-League

Grassroots Team: Southern Flinders

Postby Loose_Arab » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:10 pm

haha
Loose_Arab
Mini-League

Grassroots Team: Southern Flinders

Postby johntheclaret » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:23 am

News is George Burley has been sacked as Scotland manage

Owen coyle not interested
Gordon strachan not interested
Dalgliesh and Souness not interested

Bit of a posioned challis is the scotland job. Huge expectations from a loyal fan base but a real lack of talent at his disposal particularly as both Rangers and Celtic recruit a lot more imports these days

I guess the 3 - 0 loss to Wales was the final straw
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:34 am

Also whilst I was away Bolton chairman proposed Celtic and Rangers to be admitted to the EPL

Not suprisingly it was thrown out at the EPL meeting. Personally I couldn't think of one good reason to admit them but quite a few against

Crowd trouble, the scotch hate the poms so every game would be a battle ground
What would they bring to the EPL. Most games are pretty much full houses so they wouldn't have the same effect on crowds as they do in the SPL
How could they be introduced. Would the EPL increase by two teams or 4 get relegated or none promoted from the CCC

In the same meeting Gartside the Bolton chairman has also proposed a two tier EPL where teams would me promoted and relegated from tier one and two, but there would be no relegation from tier two effectively making it a closed shop

Another ludicrous idea that would lead to the same stagnation that exists in the AFL
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:44 pm

well **** me

aberdeen 1 - 0 rangers :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Soccer