Opinions on the Thierry Henry incident??

The World Game

Re: Opinions on the Thierry Henry incident??

Postby whufc » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:59 pm

devilsadvocate wrote:
whufc wrote:Is Henry deliberatly handling the ball cheating any more than players commiting professional fouls, is it any worse than players who time waste and fake injuries throughout the last ten minutes of a game?

Nope. Professional Foul = Cheating. Rolling on the floor with an 'injury' in the last few mins of a game = cheating.

Both are instances that drive me nuts. There should be more red cards handed out for professional fouls. Far too many refs let 'last man standing' fouls go with only a yellow card. There was a shocker on Leckie the other night - yellow card. It's a disgrace.

here, here totally agree, very frustrating, i play amatuer soccer and tactics such as these are employed in every single game i think i have ever played.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5611 times
Been liked: 2540 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby mal » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:13 pm

What about Trial by Video and hand out suspensions ?
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1170 times
Been liked: 928 times

Postby Bully » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:26 am

i think all the comments on soccer/football about how its boring and no goals are scored are coming from people and or users on here that have grown up only with a sport like AFL where stupid amounts of goals are scored and they dont know any other sport. Not all games and people and football fans around the world have grown up with that. Yes maybe if AFL was a world game thats been around for centurys around the WORLD then things might be different.

I used to love AFL aswell dont get me wrong it used to be a good sport to follow, i played it in school because soccer as its called here didnt have much of a following and your friends and mates laughed at you when you played it.

I played AFL in the SAAFL, SFL leagues and it was great yes, but nothing beats the world game.
we all have our followings in different things i just personally dont like a sport where one team can kick 25 goals to the other team maybe 5. no fun in that. :roll:
Bully
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 120 times

Postby mal » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:18 pm

mal
Coach

Has liked: 1170 times
Been liked: 928 times

Postby Pag » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:11 am

CoverKing wrote:For mine, Henry is being unfairly scrutinised.

Has any soccer fan seen a player score a goal after a handball incident tell the ref to take the goal back?

In the EPL the same thing happened, it was a handball on the w.e and he finished it off with a goal. He didnt say anything. its not his place to.

As for the cricket liking, if you edged one to the keeper and didnt walk, the ump gives u not out, how often is a player criticised.

With so much money and bonuses on the line for making the world cup finals, every player looks to bend the rules slightly to gain an advantage. Im sure players committed many fouls during that game that were not penalised, and those players also didnt tell the ref to give the opposition a free kick.

Criticising Henry for mine is stupid. Its the ref's fault, the linesmans fault for not being in the correct position and also FIFAs fault, with such massive money amounts on the line, that a video replay or something is not available to the refs, especially in the penalty box.

Maybe an NFL type rule could be introduced to soccer, where coaches can get one unsuccessful challenge a match, where the ref is allowed to check video footage. Just my 2 cents worth

=D> =D>
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 499 times

Postby johntheclaret » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:13 pm

mal wrote:What about Trial by Video and hand out suspensions ?
io

They already do that Mal. the FA can, and do, use video evidence to review foul play etc and dish out retrospective red cards but they can't force a replayed game if a goal is scored by cheating, either in open play or via a penalty. They can't give a red card out if the ref only opted to give a yellow either, which is bloody crazy in my opinion.

Most reds dished out after vidoe evidence are for instances behind play where the ref hasn't seen the offence.

FIF can order a reply if a goal results in the ref misinterpreting the rules, but in Henry's case this wasn't the issue as the ref didn't misinterpret the rules, he just didn't see the offence.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Previous

Board index   Other Sports  Soccer