Beckham Watch

The World Game

Re: Beckham Watch

Postby devilsadvocate » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:07 am

The Real Number 3 wrote:From SkySports:

Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp has admitted he would welcome the opportunity to bring David Beckham back to England.

The former England skipper is currently on loan at Serie A giants AC Milan from MLS outfit Los Angeles Galaxy.

He is desperate to remain part of Fabio Capello's plans in the build up to the 2010 World Cup and believes playing in Europe offers him the best opportunity to achieve that goal.

Beckham is set to return to America once his deal in Italy expiries in June, allowing him to turn out for the Galaxy in their domestic campaign.

He is then hoping to earn another loan deal, possibly with Milan, during the 2010 January transfer window.

However, with Carlo Ancelotti's future at Giuseppe Meazza under scrutiny, there is no guarantee the Rossoneri will want him back.

Role model
That could see him set his sights on a Premier League return, with Spurs manager Redknapp revealing the 33-year-old would be more than welcome at White Hart Lane.

"I'm a massive fan of Beckham," he said in the Sunday Mirror.

"He's a fantastic footballer and a great role model. I would take him on loan for sure.

"He's in great nick and still arguably one of the best crossers of the ball in the game.

"I think any club would take a look at him. He would be a fantastic loan signing."

Good work TRN3, forgot to post this the other day when I saw it.

I'd have loved for Becks to come to the Lane a couple of years back, but now we're well covered on the right of midfield with Aaron Lennon who's absolutely tearing the game apart at the moment and David Bentley as backup (if he pulls his finger out and starts to play well and rediscover the art of taking a free kick/corner).

So the only real role I see Becks playing at Spurs would be in a coaching capacity to Lennon in terms of improving his final ball.

Still, I'd buy a beckham strip, so perhaps for the $'s and profile it would bring would be worth it!
devilsadvocate
Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Dirko » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:36 pm

I have friends going to Milan in two weeks...Milan shirt coming up 8)
The joy of being on the hill drinking beer cannot be understated
Dirko
Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby devilsadvocate » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:01 am

SJABC wrote:I have friends going to Milan in two weeks...Milan shirt coming up 8)

As much as I hate them, that shirt is a cracker. And with Becks name on the back - even better!

If I had to get one that style, I'd go the Fulham away strip though - that is pure class. Pity about the Zamora on the back :oops:
devilsadvocate
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:15 am

SJABC wrote:
Brad wrote:Has he done much in America?

It's not what he's done individually but what he's done to the League. For example leading up to his arrival at LA Galaxy they were averaging a crowd of 20,814. His first year it went up 24,252 and then in 2008 up to 26,009. A pretty good increase.

Most sports stores sell LA Galaxy shirts because oh him.

When the Galaxy played Sydney it was a sellout, and when they played Wellington 31,853 people showed up. The BIGGEST crowd to ever watch a game in NZ. Probably sums up his drawing power.....

Huge pay day (£25m over 5 years iirc). for him and of course Posh would have done something to influence his decision. I'm pretty sure she will enjoy Milan too. Can't see her letting him come back to the UK, unless it was for a London club.

I heard somewhere that sales of Galaxy (Beckham) shirts pulled in more then $5m before he had ever kicked a ball over there.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby The Jack » Tue May 19, 2009 6:23 pm

So, what's the latest with Becks re his permanent transfer to Milan? Any news?
The Jack
Under 18s

Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 18 times
Grassroots Team: Hummocks-Watchman

Postby johntheclaret » Wed May 20, 2009 9:16 am

The Jack wrote:So, what's the latest with Becks re his permanent transfer to Milan? Any news?

Latest I heard was that Galaxy were mightily pissed off that he has been talking like he doesn't want to go back. they had slapped a £10m price tag on him and he had got to gether with Milan and bought himself out of his contract.

Bit rich imo. He was on £5m at LA Galaxy and do doubt went there for the big bucks but probably more likely because Posh wanted to ponce around the LA scene. Now shew has done that she probably fancies Milan for a spell.

Don't be suprised to see him ending up at Spurs in a couple of years to finish off his career and of course so Posh can see her time out in London. I say Spurs because Chavski and Arsenal are too professional to take him on. Maybe Southend Utd might be an option though :D
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:36 am

So the Beckster has been having a pop or two at the ungrateful Galaxy fans who dare to question his loyalty to the club that has / is paying him a cool £25m for five years of kick around. OK, bringing his wife into the conversation is a bit below the belt, and anyone of us would face off with a man who brings the wife's reputation into disrepute Whether what they are saying is true or not, it's about defending her honour, but surely, he has done nothing to re-build those battered bridges.

Anyway, here is the 3rd and final story in my Des Kelly lovefest. He says it sooooo much better than I ever could.

Oh dear, David...Fraud. Imposter. Here before you, here after you, here in spite of you.

I could have written the David Beckham protest banners myself, but then I never believed he would do a thing for American ‘soccer’.
His cheerleaders told us he was a ‘Pied Piper’ and that others would follow his ‘soccer revolution’ in the United States.
Instead, Beckham cashed a few cheques, smiled on breakfast TV and fled back to Europe as soon as he could. But the sight of the England player offering to confront American fans was embarrassing.
It’s exactly the type of yobbish posturing that fits into the image many in the States have about football.
Now he is vowing to stay, as if he has a choice. Asked if Italy could offer Beckham a safe haven before his loan in January, AC Milan vice-president Adriano Galliani said: ‘No, there are insurmountable financial obstacles’.
That translates as it costs too much. So he is stuck in a gilded cage.
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby devilsadvocate » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:42 am

The great man has still got it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIMXP3-MWGY&feature=related

What a free kick. Sign him up Daniel Levy
devilsadvocate
Coach

Postby RoosterMarty » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:44 am

Great find DA.

Looks like Galaxy have forgiven him pretty quickly.

What a champion. That freekick was absolute perfection, I loved the camera shot from behind Becks.. it is amazing the things he can do with a dead ball.
RoosterMarty
Coach

Has liked: 10 times

Postby johntheclaret » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:17 am

RoosterMarty wrote:Great find DA.

Looks like Galaxy have forgiven him pretty quickly.

What a champion. That freekick was absolute perfection, I loved the camera shot from behind Becks.. it is amazing the things he can do with a dead ball.

Not quite Marty. I watched the highlights and whilst there were a lot cheering him off, there was still a section of the crowd still booing.

Still, another goal like that one and they will all be on board the Beckham bandwaggon (Until January)
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby devilsadvocate » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:07 pm

While we're watching Becks, he's been doing some watching of his own....

Apparently Victoria will be trying out for the Lakers cheerleading team for nest season.
devilsadvocate
Coach

Previous

Board index   Other Sports  Soccer