UEFA CUP 2008/9

The World Game

Re: UEFA CUP 2008/9

Postby devilsadvocate » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:03 pm

RoosterMarty wrote:First win for Bale?????? That is an amazing stat.

Have you seen the goals DA? Apparently Hudd's goal was a belter, volley from a corner?? I think I read that somewhere. I'm a fan of the bloke, he can certainly hit a ball.

I haven't seen it, but was listening on the radio. It was a free kick I believe, Bentley caugh Zagreb napping by flicking the ball sideways to the on rushing Hudd, who slammed a volley past the keeper from a reasonable distance.

I rate the Hudd too. His only problem is his pace. His passing ability is amazing and as you say, he can hit it like the best of them, and often accurately too. The European game suits him to a tee with its slower tempo and more technical style rather than the super quick end to end EPL. Having said that, he has shown glimpses in the EPL of being an excellent midfield general. He's still young, so hopefully will keep getting better and better.

The Bale stat is amazing. He did miss 3/4 of last year though. Hopefully we can continue and string a few more wins together.

I'm still chuffed with Bent too. He's a confidence player, but one of the best finishers around when he's on song. He doesn't need many chances either - he'll usually bury 2 out of 3. He doesn't hold the ball up like Berbatov or link up the play like Keano, but he finishes as well as anyone, so hopefully Modric, Bentley, Lennon and co continue creating chances.

COYS!
devilsadvocate
Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 0 time

Postby devilsadvocate » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:32 pm

Sincere apologies RM, Hudd's goal was from a corner:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=RygRj8A4X6Y

Great stuff!

Oh and for eyeofthetiger, you can see at about the 12-13 second mark of that vid, there's a bloke in the terraces in a light brown top in the centre of the picture doing the yiddo victory jig - jumping up and down pumping his fists.

Wish I was there last night now!
devilsadvocate
Coach

Postby RoosterMarty » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:03 pm

Cheers for the link. What a cracking goal, he smashed that from miles out.
RoosterMarty
Coach

Has liked: 10 times

Postby devilsadvocate » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:59 am

Matchday 3 - 27 November 2008

Schalke 0-2 Manchester City
PSG 2-2 Real Racing Club
Galatasaray 0-1 Metalist
Olympiacos 5-1 Benfica
Sampdoria 1-1 Stuttgart
Partizan 0-1 Standard
NEC 0-1 Tottenham
Dinamo Zagreb 0-1 Spartak Moskva
Portsmouth 2-2 Milan
Braga 2-1 Wolfsburg
Žilina 0-0 Slavia
Hamburg 0-1 Ajax
Club Brugge 1-1 St Etienne
Rosenborg 0-4 Valencia
CSKA Moskva 2-1 Lech
Deportivo 3-0 Feyenoord

Sorry it's not JTC standards, but I gather I'm the only one who cares anyway.

Harry Kewell's new side was beaten at home by Metalist, but should still qualify with a win next match.

Good win for citeh to defeat Schalke away, they are not an easy side to beat in Europe.

Portsmouth must be a sombre place at the moment after having been 2-0 up with 20 mins to play, but Ronaldinho finished off some good work from Pato and a late, late equaliser came from Inzaghi.

Roll on you Spurs! Jamie O'Hara finished a good piece of work by Bentley, Bale and YIDO F.Campbell. These 1-0's will do me just fine!
devilsadvocate
Coach

Postby eyeofthetiger » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:55 pm

devilsadvocate wrote:Sincere apologies RM, Hudd's goal was from a corner:

Great stuff!

Oh and for eyeofthetiger, you can see at about the 12-13 second mark of that vid, there's a bloke in the terraces in a light brown top in the centre of the picture doing the yiddo victory jig - jumping up and down pumping his fists.

Right , got it now DA , would look great if the whole end were at it at the same time.

Is they U Tube clip of the Paxton end ?

[quote="devilsadvocate"]
Sorry it's not JTC standards, but I gather I'm the only one who cares anyway.

quote]

Nope , I care about Spurs march to UEFA Cup glory and perhaps the League Cup AGAIN.
eyeofthetiger
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time

Postby devilsadvocate » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:08 am

eyeofthetiger wrote:
devilsadvocate wrote:Sincere apologies RM, Hudd's goal was from a corner:

Great stuff!

Right , got it now DA , would look great if the whole end were at it at the same time.

Is they U Tube clip of the Paxton end ? It is mate, that's the family stand, so they're a bit reserved in there. The other end (Park Lane) would be going mental.

devilsadvocate wrote:Sorry it's not JTC standards, but I gather I'm the only one who cares anyway.

Nope , I care about Spurs march to UEFA Cup glory and perhaps the League Cup AGAIN.

Good work mate. IMO, we're a good shot at progressing to the last 4 of UEFA, but the Champs League drop outs are still to be confirmed, so we'll see what happens.

League Cup is a far more daunting prospect with Burnley on the march!

FA Cup starts for the big boys in a few weeks time too.
devilsadvocate
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:48 am

We care DA :D
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby devilsadvocate » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:08 am

The UEFA Cup draw also took place today for both the round of 32 and the round of 16:

Villa v CSKA Moscow will be a cracker if both sides put a full strength side out on the park.
Bremen and Milan will be good, but the Italians won't have too many problems progressing.
Bordeaux v Galatasaray - Harry's new club is pretty well matched in this fixture. Hopefully the Turks can knock of the Frenchies.
Finally, Shaktar Dohnesk v Spurs will be a gem. The Ukranian Chelsea's have bought a good side and with Spurs being one of the few clubs that can actually afford to do business in January (Man Citeh :evil: :evil: ) we might have bought a good side by then too!

Onto the round of 16:
Winners of match 6 (Villa v CSKA Moscow) play the winners of match 16 (Shaktar v Spurs). Whatever the combination, this promises to be a great fixture.

Winners of match 3 (NEC v Hamburg) v winners of match 12 (Bordeaux v Galatasaray). If Harry's boys (which include Milan Baros and Hasan Sas) get through, they'll likely face Martin Jol's Hamburg, who have been impressive in the Bundeliga this year and are coming of a thumpings of Villa on Wednesday night.

So, I'm thinking this years winner will come from the first round of 16 match above (COYS!! [-o< :lol: ) or Milan.
Outsiders could be PSG and Ajax, but I think these sides would struggle against Milan or CSKA.
devilsadvocate
Coach

Previous

Board index   Other Sports  Soccer