Soccer Movies

The World Game

Soccer Movies

Postby JK » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:37 pm

Apologies if a topic already exists for this one (think we discussed it once upon a time), but I couldn't find it.

Watched a movie the other night called "The Damned United" which I thought was very enjoyable .. Was the story of Brian Clough in his time with both Derby and Leeds and how Leeds pretty much became the bane of his existence.

I was (and mostly still am) unfamiliar with the history around this time, and whilst the movie was no doubt over-dramatised at times, Im guessing it contained a lot of truth given the real life characters appeared at the film's conclusion.

So, according to this flick, Brian Clough was a very driven man that couldn't tolerate playing second fiddle to the money men at Derby .. He certainly wasn't shy and was wuite outspoken in his views and attitudes, accurate?

Were Leeds as butcherous in the late 60's early 70's as this film depicted? There was on onfield blue shown between Leeds Captain Billy Bremner and Liverpools Kevin Keegan which included some legitimate footage, where the Leeds lads of that era as thuggish as they were made out to be?

Whilst it wasnt touched upon in the movie, what went wrong at Nottingham after they'd taken all before them to fall away so dramatically (as equally as they had risen I guess?)?

Was Peter Taylor the real brains of the outfit behind Clough?

Why did Clough never manage England?

Was Revie as hard as made out to be, and even a divisive influence on his players when Clough took over the reigns?

Would be interested to hear from anyone familiar with the history of this particular era.

Cheers,
CP
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4470 times
Been liked: 3012 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Re: Soccer Movies

Postby Dirko » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:46 pm

Where did you get the movie from CP? I want to watch it, as being a Derby follower.

McAlmanac would I dare say know a fair bit about Cloughy. Me. I know nothing :lol:
The joy of being on the hill drinking beer cannot be understated
Dirko
Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Postby JK » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:22 pm

Was on Foxtel the other night mate (might have even been last night, they all seem to be blending together at the moment) .. I was thinking at the time how much you would have gotten into it.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Bully » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:19 pm

Football Factory. Best movie i have seen but its no where to be found in any DVD/Movie shops or video stores.

ABout chelsea vs millwall fans beating the crap out of each other. Funny as F**k ;)
Bully
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 120 times

Postby mickey » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:33 pm

Bulldog wrote:Football Factory. Best movie i have seen but its no where to be found in any DVD/Movie shops or video stores.

ABout chelsea vs millwall fans beating the crap out of each other. Funny as F**k ;)

https://www.jbhifionline.com.au/dvd/dvd ... the/366599

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_ ... ll+factory

have it on dvd, is a great movie :)
mickey
Coach

Has liked: 142 times
Been liked: 314 times
Grassroots Team: Seaton Ramblers

Postby Jim05 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:46 pm

Both great movies. Although damned united has been dramatized there is still alot of fact aboul it. Brian clough did a wonderful job turning a non fashionable bottom of div 2 team into a div 1 champion side. The story is based around his departure and arrival at leeds for a 44 day spell. Yes ive seen a fair bit of actual footage from those years and the leeds side were nothing short of thugs. Billy bremner goes down as leeds greatest ever player but he was a hot headed dirty scumbag. He would be in jail if he trief 1/10 of that crap thesedays. Don revie encouraged this brutality and while loved by leeds supporters he was despised by 90% of england. If youve seen the movie that punch on keegan was only a glimpse of what these bastards played like
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1128 times
Been liked: 3651 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Brodlach » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:45 am

SJABC wrote:Where did you get the movie from CP? I want to watch it, as being a Derby follower.

McAlmanac would I dare say know a fair bit about Cloughy. Me. I know nothing :lol:

Most good Video Stores have The Damned to rent, especially Video Ezy stores ;)
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4301 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby johntheclaret » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:35 pm

Pretty true representation connie
Cloughie was doomed the moment he signed as Leeds manager, mostly for all the criticism he laid on Revie and Leeds players. Sadly most of what he said was true. BURNLEY "enjoyed" many battles with Leeds as the great Willie Irvines book stand testament.

Clough was known as the manager never to manage England. His frankness just didn't fit in at Lancaster Gate.

Leeds thuggery made them the top team in the country for nearly a decade and they were never the same when Revie left. Revie became England manager and flopped before doing a runner to Dubai or somewhere like that and was never seen again
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby JK » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:29 pm

Cheers for that Johnnyboy, I guess thats got to make it a decent flick .. Fascinating period of history in the game (Im sure there's many others in a place/sport with such a long history)
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby brent » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:28 pm

the damned united was great, i also saw a movie earlier this year called 'looking for eric' and it has eric cantona in it (playing himself). light hearted/entertaining in the same vein as fever pitch, which is recommended too if you haven't seen it
brent
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby johntheclaret » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:09 pm

Lookingfor Eric, great film. The Postmen in Eric masks at the baddies house scene is gold :lol:
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Board index   Other Sports  Soccer