Australian International Summer 2020/21

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Australian International Summer 2020/21

Postby tigerpie » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:06 am

Dutchy wrote:Just watched the highlights again, kudos to Wade for fielding that close when Pant was teeing off, geebuz! :shock:

No doubting his courage. Not pleasant fielding there.
Although I had a mate that loved fielding in close.
He could fart at will and his timing was impeccable.
Had us in stitches and more often than not a wicket would fall soon after.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 501 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby Booney » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:27 am

Q. wrote:Paine has been a tremendous leader since taking over after sandpapergate, but geez, today's drop catches and the gall to sledge after costing us the game really tarnished his image.

Absolutely.

I'm on the record ( more than once ) for my thoughts on the spoilt, entitled brats the Australian cricket team had become under Smith and Lehmann with Warner the "bulldog" and the side slipping into the dangerous space of losing respect and, more worryingly, not offering their opponents respect. That lack of respect was what caused sandpapergate, they thought they were above everyone and could do anything.

Paine changed that, so too Langer ( I have my reservations about him ) and they deserve the accolades that come with it but yesterday was a step backwards to those darker days and Paine, to his credit, acknowledged he needed to be better both in his personal performance and the way he leads the team. So, while he was in the heat of battle he crumbled, it shows character to admit the situation got the better of you and you need to be better.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

Postby Corona Man » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:01 am

Booney wrote:
Q. wrote:Paine has been a tremendous leader since taking over after sandpapergate, but geez, today's drop catches and the gall to sledge after costing us the game really tarnished his image.

Absolutely.

I'm on the record ( more than once ) for my thoughts on the spoilt, entitled brats the Australian cricket team had become under Smith and Lehmann with Warner the "bulldog" and the side slipping into the dangerous space of losing respect and, more worryingly, not offering their opponents respect. That lack of respect was what caused sandpapergate, they thought they were above everyone and could do anything.

Paine changed that, so too Langer ( I have my reservations about him ) and they deserve the accolades that come with it but yesterday was a step backwards to those darker days and Paine, to his credit, acknowledged he needed to be better both in his personal performance and the way he leads the team. So, while he was in the heat of battle he crumbled, it shows character to admit the situation got the better of you and you need to be better.

Yes Paine took over the team in difficult circumstances, and in the early days of his tenour, was following the CA script.

As time has past, Paine's performance as the leader of our national side has come under more scrutiny, no doubt, and its a bloody tough gig.

Paine's demeanour at times in the last 2 test, has been noticeably poor. Rather than lead, and pick the other 10 blokes up and take him with them, he has sooked, dropped F bombs, sledged poorly, and let his own performance slip. We all drop catches, and they were not straight forward chances either. But at this level at least 1, if not 2 of them should have been held.

I'd be very surprised if there are not conversations happening about who the next captain is, and when that transition begins.

Do we go back to Smith...... I don't know to be honest. Not sure who else there is really, Cummins has enough to do thanks!
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1279 times
Been liked: 3488 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Booney » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:07 am

We discussed it here last week, Head was probably touted at one stage, now he's not even in the side.

Does Carey have the skills? Yes, but at 29 does he have time to get in and establish himself before he becomes the captain? Not likely, unless Paine is moved aside after this series and Cummins is the stop gap for a while.

I don't think they go back to Smith, myself.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:12 am

Corona Man wrote:I'd be very surprised if there are not conversations happening about who the next captain is, and when that transition begins.

Do we go back to Smith...... I don't know to be honest. Not sure who else there is really, Cummins has enough to do thanks!

What if Smith doesn't want the captaincy back? Paine might stay just because they haven't got a suitable replacement.. the guy they touted as the next captain (Head) isn't even in the side at the moment, and you cant burden Cummins with the added responsibility.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3193 times
Been liked: 4005 times

Postby shoe boy » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:57 am

Booney wrote:We discussed it here last week, Head was probably touted at one stage, now he's not even in the side.

Does Carey have the skills? Yes, but at 29 does he have time to get in and establish himself before he becomes the captain? Not likely, unless Paine is moved aside after this series and Cummins is the stop gap for a while.

Agree Smith cant be considered captain.
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby Dutchy » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:19 am

Why does Lyon not get mentioned as a potential Captain?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2326 times
Been liked: 3507 times

Postby Corona Man » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:21 am

shoe boy wrote:
Booney wrote:We discussed it here last week, Head was probably touted at one stage, now he's not even in the side.

Agree Smith cant be considered captain.

I think he has to be in the mix, given the lack of other suitable candidates. We need a captain who's place in the team is solid, and who can lead by example. Now we can argue Smith didn't do that in South Africa, and it's true, he didn't. Has he learnt a few life lessons since then, well you'd bloody hope so.

Bedge made a good point, does he want to do it again, I reckon he would.

I was all for Head (who isn't) but he can't seem to nail down his spot in the team. Still averaging 40 at test level though (I believe) and plenty of others notables, averaged less through the early part of their career's, so don't write him off just yet. Unfortunately Head plays state cricket with a red cap, not a light blue one, so he is always at a disadvantage.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:22 am

Dutchy wrote:Why does Lyon not get mentioned as a potential Captain?

Not the worst call Dutchy.
Corona Man
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:33 am

After dropping three catches, Paine said he let himself down in every department, particularly with his leadership of the team.

“I want to apologise for the way I went about things yesterday. I’m someone who prides themselves on the way I lead this team and yesterday was a poor reflection of the team,” said Paine.

“I let the pressure of the game get to me. It affected my mood and my performance. Initially I reflected purely on my wicketkeeping. Last night I reflected on the whole game.

“I’ve had a really poor game as a leader. I’m a captain who enjoys the game, and wants to play… yesterday I fell short of my expectations and our team’s standards. I’m human. I want to apologise for the mistakes I made yesterday.

“It’s certainly not a reflection of the way I want to lead this team. We’ve set high standards over the last few months and … I’m bitterly disappointed.

“My mood throughout the whole Test match was a bit off. The way I spoke to the umpires was unacceptable.

“I’ve got to cop that on the chin. It’s certainly not a reflection of how I want to do it going forward.

“I fell short of my own standards and expectations. I’m bitterly disappointed with that.”
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Corona Man » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:37 am

Dutchy wrote:After dropping three catches, Paine said he let himself down in every department, particularly with his leadership of the team.

“I want to apologise for the way I went about things yesterday. I’m someone who prides themselves on the way I lead this team and yesterday was a poor reflection of the team,” said Paine.

“I let the pressure of the game get to me. It affected my mood and my performance. Initially I reflected purely on my wicketkeeping. Last night I reflected on the whole game.

“I’ve had a really poor game as a leader. I’m a captain who enjoys the game, and wants to play… yesterday I fell short of my expectations and our team’s standards. I’m human. I want to apologise for the mistakes I made yesterday.

“It’s certainly not a reflection of the way I want to lead this team. We’ve set high standards over the last few months and … I’m bitterly disappointed.

“My mood throughout the whole Test match was a bit off. The way I spoke to the umpires was unacceptable.

“I’ve got to cop that on the chin. It’s certainly not a reflection of how I want to do it going forward.

“I fell short of my own standards and expectations. I’m bitterly disappointed with that.”

That's a good start, but he actually led poorly in Melbourne too, particularly when things went pear shaped, and the team needed leadership....
Corona Man
Coach

Postby whufc » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:51 am

Just throwing it out there.

Paines' leadership has gone to shite since Smith and Warner have come back into the team. Also interesting to see Smith testing the waters and being a cheeky boy scratching up the pitch whilst fielding on the last day.

Is this all coincidence, or in the heat of the moment do players slip back into old attitudes.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5591 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Dutchy » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:12 am

whufc wrote:Just throwing it out there.

Paines' leadership has gone to shite since Smith and Warner have come back into the team. Also interesting to see Smith testing the waters and being a cheeky boy scratching up the pitch whilst fielding on the last day.

Is this all coincidence, or in the heat of the moment do players slip back into old attitudes.

Was thinking exactly the same thing, at the same time they have returned Wade seems to have turned heel and Marnus has gone to new levels to strange.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby whufc » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:16 am

Dutchy wrote:
whufc wrote:Just throwing it out there.

Was thinking exactly the same thing, at the same time they have returned Wade seems to have turned heel and Marnus has gone to new levels to strange.

I don't know if other countries are the same but it seems to be culturally engrained into the way Australians play cricket that are first reaction when under pressure or threatened with defeat is to go down the direct and ultra aggressive path towards the opposition. In my time in local cricket this also seemed to be the 'go to' strategy especially in para districts.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5591 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby tigerpie » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:56 am

I don't know why everyone is so savage on Paine.
Yep he grassed a few, and yes he resorted to verbal, but other than Taylor I think all Australian captains have cracked at some point.
Apart from Mark Taylor, he was always pretty composed.

As far as captain for the future its simple.
There isn't one and that's a worry.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Postby shoe boy » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:02 pm

tigerpie wrote:I don't know why everyone is so savage on Paine.
Yep he grassed a few, and yes he resorted to verbal, but other than Taylor I think all Australian captains have cracked at some point.

Pat Cummins
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby RB » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:10 pm

Costing Australia test series will have that effect.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1075 times

Postby tigerpie » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:15 pm

shoe boy wrote:

Pat Cummins

Nope, he's a bowler just let him bowl.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Postby Jim05 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:31 pm

Bumrah out of the final test.
Can they even field a side :)
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3553 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Booney » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:44 pm

Jim05 wrote:Bumrah out of the final test.
Can they even field a side :)

And Jadeja out as well as Vihari in doubt.

So India are missing : Kohli, Shami, Yadav, Sharma, Kumar, Rahul and now Bumrah, Jadeja and Vihari.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket