Australian Domestic Season 2016/2017

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Australian Domestic Season 2016/2017

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:42 am

I'll refuse to watch it through sheer disappointment, used to love heading to Adelaide Oval to watch the ODD's, got to play cricket up on the hill with the kids and any other random kids that joined in while having a froffie watching some entertaining cricket.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4347 times
Been liked: 7926 times

Postby The Bedge » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:26 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:I'll refuse to watch it through sheer disappointment, used to love heading to Adelaide Oval to watch the ODD's, got to play cricket up on the hill with the kids and any other random kids that joined in while having a froffie watching some entertaining cricket.

I agree, I used to love heading down on a nice Sunday or whatever and watching a game.

The current format just doesn't seem to have the same level of interest or excitement about it - feels similar to the AFL pre-season NAB cup to me.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3193 times
Been liked: 4005 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:40 am

One of the real challenges international players face is having to adapt to different formats. An overseas tour might include tests, one dayers and T20's all within a month. I know the teams change a bit but there are still plenty of players who play two formats or even three.

In the 'olden days' the state players had to mix between one dayers and Shield games all the time. Often an interstate trip would involve a four dayer and a one dayer. The players had to adapt their game.

Now the formats are very separate:
- One day series in the preseason
- A block of Shield games
- The Big Bash
- Another block of Shield games

It makes sense from one perspective but I wonder if it shields our players from developing the skills to adapt quickly to the different formats and requirements of each game?
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby heater31 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:44 am

County Cricket still jump formats to some degree. Often playing a 20/20 on a Friday night then a championship fixture on the following Sunday.

Once the One Day Cup begins Championship matches take a back seat until all minor round matches are complete but the 20/20's are still mixed in.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby The Bedge » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:47 am

Tony Clifton wrote:It makes sense from one perspective but I wonder if it shields our players from developing the skills to adapt quickly to the different formats and requirements of each game?

I agree! Surely part of the challenge should be around adapting to the different formats at short notice.

Also what value is it if a bloke plays a great LO series, earns an Aussie call up on form - but isn't going to be playing 50 over cricket until late Jan? Cant expect them to carry through that form over a number of months.

Go back to the olden days I say. Keep your BBL block over xmas, that's clearly a massive winner for CA, but mix up the SS and ODD formats again.

How good attending a OD final in the warmer month of Feb!
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3193 times
Been liked: 4005 times

Postby bennymacca » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:05 pm

I think the solution is just moving it around to each state. You wouldn't need that many grounds to make it work. (Or is it more because of the better prep time up north because it's warmer?)
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:53 pm

bennymacca wrote:I think the solution is just moving it around to each state. You wouldn't need that many grounds to make it work. (Or is it more because of the better prep time up north because it's warmer?)

Some are in WA this year I think.

I like Zartan's idea.

In the 90's etc. pretty much the majority of the shield team would spend an extra day or two where they are, nowadays the team make up is nearly completely different between formats, I'd sooner see it spread out the season apart form when the BBL is on.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4347 times
Been liked: 7926 times

Postby heater31 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:01 pm

It's the stupid ******* BBL that has stuffed the whole show up. Yes it's a high standard of cricket but it messes with the make up of the domestic season and selection for the national team home summer. Apparently all this doesn't outweigh the almighty dollar.

SA is no chance to host it. We don't have enough suitable grounds available. With all grounds with half a chance of being suitable are SANFL grounds that are occupied by the winter tenant until October 1 each year.
heater31

Postby bennymacca » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:14 pm

heater31 wrote:It's the stupid ******* BBL that has stuffed the whole show up. Yes it's a high standard of cricket but it messes with the make up of the domestic season and selection for the national team home summer. Apparently all this doesn't outweigh the almighty dollar.

SA is no chance to host it. We don't have enough suitable grounds available. With all grounds with half a chance of being suitable are SANFL grounds that are occupied by the winter tenant until October 1 each year.

They would get more crowds to a single big bash game than 3 seasons of one dayers. Not sure you can really say they are just chasing the dollar, it's clearly what the public want.

Maybe they can have the one day season just after the big bash, so that it leads into, or played roughly the same time as the one dayers, and the shield season can start earlier as the lead in to the tests
bennymacca
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:55 pm

I think we just link the One Sayers to the Shield like previously.

Forget the BBL as that's franchise and not a state based comp
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11854 times
Been liked: 3601 times

Postby whufc » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:55 pm

bennymacca wrote:I think the solution is just moving it around to each state. You wouldn't need that many grounds to make it work. (Or is it more because of the better prep time up north because it's warmer?)

Wouldn't help we only have one major ground here which was still being used for Aussie rules until yesterday
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5591 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Gozu » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:00 pm

Does anyone know what is going on with Cosgrove? He doesn't seem to get picked in our Shield or one-day teams anymore is it because he's not performing in grade cricket or have the SACA just ruled a line through him over the weight issues?

I know it doesn't mean much but there was a story in the Messenger a few weeks ago about the upcoming grade season with a photo shoot involving the captains and Cosgrove looked in the best shape I've seen him in a long time I know it's just a photo but still.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby heater31 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:02 pm

Gozu wrote:Does anyone know what is going on with Cosgrove? He doesn't seem to get picked in our Shield or one-day teams anymore is it because he's not performing in grade cricket or have the SACA just ruled a line through him over the weight issues?

I know it doesn't mean much but there was a story in the Messenger a few weeks ago about the upcoming grade season with a photo shoot involving the captains and Cosgrove looked in the best shape I've seen him in a long time I know it's just a photo but still.

They've ruled a line through him because he is classed as an overseas player here. Captains Leicestershire as a local during our winter.
heater31

Postby Gozu » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:28 pm

heater31 wrote:They've ruled a line through him because he is classed as an overseas player here. Captains Leicestershire as a local during our winter.

We used to have overseas players playing for us like Younis Khan & Shahid Afridi why would Cosgrove be different?
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:37 am

1. Weatherald
2. Smith
3. Ferguson
4. Head
5. Cooper
6. Lehmann
7. Carey (wk)
8. Mennie
9. Richardson/Zampa
10. Sayers
11. Worrall

Good to see Smith in there after a double century in 2nd XI.

Apart from Ross who is still injured, this is our strongest line up. I wonder what the wicket will be like? Maybe four quicks. Pink ball game from Perth... should start about 5pm our time? Any live stream?
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby bennymacca » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:32 am

heater31 wrote:They've ruled a line through him because he is classed as an overseas player here. Captains Leicestershire as a local during our winter.

Why was that an issue? It meant we had to get rid of Botha though.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:40 am

Shield using the Duke ball in the second half of the season.

Balls used for England-based Ashes series to be implemented for second half of next summer

Australia's bid for a long-awaited Ashes success in the UK will lead to the use of Dukes cricket balls in the second half of next season's Sheffield Shield. Used for international cricket in the UK, the Dukes ball will feature in all Shield matches from rounds six to 10 as well as the final.

During the first half of the season players will continue using the locally-made Kookaburra as they prepare for Test matches in Australian conditions where it is the ball of choice.
Australia haven't won an away Ashes series since 2001, managing just four victories from 20 Tests during the past four series on foreign soil. "In recent times Australian teams travelling to England haven't adjusted well to local conditions and the swinging Dukes ball," said Pat Howard, Cricket Australia's Executive General Manager of Team Performance. "We have been on record saying that we will look at ways to address this deficiency and believe giving players greater experience with the Dukes ball is one way of doing just that.
"Some people might think changing a brand of cricket ball is a minor consideration, but as we have seen from past Ashes campaigns in England, it can be a significant factor. "During the first half of the Sheffield Shield season we will continue using Kookaburra balls, as they are used for all international cricket here in Australia. Once our home Test matches are finished we will switch to Dukes balls for Sheffield Shield cricket as we begin focusing on winter tours, including the Ashes in 2019.
"We have had agreement from all State Associations about this change which recognises Australian cricket's combined determination to win an away Ashes series." CA has previously used the Dukes ball in the national second XI competition, the Toyota Futures League for two seasons (2012-13 and 2013-14) and in recent National U17 and U19 National Championships. Last August, former Test captain Ricky Ponting called on CA to make the change they have now adopted following Australia's Ashes capitulation at Trent Bridge, where they were bowled out for 60 on day one. "One thing I am going to recommend as soon as I get home is that we actually change the balls we use in Australia," Ponting told ESPN Cricinfo. "I think we should be using Dukes balls in Australia now. "I think it's been highlighted enough times that we struggle when the ball swings and seams. You go back two, three years ago when I was playing Shield cricket, (the) Hobart (pitch) got heavily criticised for doing too much but I batted there, but you could still make runs. "Ed Cowan's making runs almost every time he batted on that wicket. You just have to change your game and work out how you're going to get runs in those conditions."
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:00 am

Old news Booney. The Duke ball usage has already been discussed on the first page of this thread.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10340 times
Been liked: 1520 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Tony Clifton » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:43 am

Still such a weird thing that there are different types of cricket balls used at international level

It's like the old days of the Crows when they would supply a Faulkner for one half of the game and their opponent would supply a Sherrin for the other half.
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby valleys07 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:06 pm

Final line-up announced for the Redbacks:

1. Weatherald
2. Smith
3. Ferguson
4. Cooper
5. Head
6. Lehmann
7. Carey
8. Mennie
9. Richardson
10. Sayers
11. Worrall

I believe the 12th is Zampa.

WA are 0/27 (8) early on.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1169 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket