The best Aussie captain of the modern era?

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Who has been the best test captain?

Ian Chappell
14%
Kim Hughes
No votes
Greg Chappell
No votes
Allan Border
14%
Mark Taylor
32%
Steve Waugh
29%
Ricky Ponting
7%
Michael Clarke
4%

Total votes : 28

Re: The best Aussie captain of the modern era?

Postby Gozu » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:33 pm

Warner's put his hand up for VC I'd imagine he would get it.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:34 pm

bennymacca wrote:
FlyingHigh wrote:Chappell also believed that about 5 years was right for a captain, and somehow it seems to work out about right - our last four captains have been there for roughly that long.
Puts into context how great an effort Border's was.

Assuming smith plays into his mid 30s he may well buck that trend though, but i guess thats more a reflection of the fact that we dont have a seasoned 30 year old ready to step up like you otherwise would

True, he might be skipper for 7-8 years.
Ideally I feel it is still a touch early, if Clarke had been able to play to the end of this summer, that would have been just right.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:54 am

whufc wrote:
Q. wrote:I like Lyon as VC.

Agree he is the best man for the position at the moment.

The only argument though is should your VC be seen as your next captain, the successor if you like, if that's the case Lyon probably will never be the next captain.

I look at it the other way, I don't feel a need for a VC although if there is one it is only to make the calls on field if the captain is absent.

I used to try and give vice captaincy to young lads who I could see leading the team in years to come but it usually resulted in form drops initially, most of them turned out to good captains several years down the track.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4347 times
Been liked: 7926 times

Postby whufc » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:32 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
whufc wrote:
Q. wrote:I like Lyon as VC.

Agree he is the best man for the position at the moment.

The only argument though is should your VC be seen as your next captain, the successor if you like, if that's the case Lyon probably will never be the next captain.

I look at it the other way, I don't feel a need for a VC although if there is one it is only to make the calls on field if the captain is absent.

I used to try and give vice captaincy to young lads who I could see leading the team in years to come but it usually resulted in form drops initially, most of them turned out to good captains several years down the track.

I agree having a young lad who can learn from the current skipper is the best way to go
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:02 am

whufc wrote:
I agree having a young lad who can learn from the current skipper is the best way to go

I( gave Steve F the VC role at an early age and he started spilling catches that he'd usually swallow, he's leggies became all over the shop and he struggled with the bat for a fair whack of the season, I tried making sure he was involved in all the on field decisions and it was probably a little overwhelming, I think it did him good in the long run, he just struggled to be able to concentrate on the tasks hand.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4347 times
Been liked: 7926 times

Previous

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket