R.I.P. Phillip Hughes

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

R.I.P. Phillip Hughes

Postby Bombers4EVA » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:56 pm

R.I.P. Phillip Hughes. A gentleman of the game has passed away and is now joining all of the past greats in heaven. What a wonderful bloke and a sensational cricketer. Our best wishes to his family and to his friends. Also my thoughts go out to Sean Abbott. Hang in there mate. Get around each other through this very sad time in cricket history.
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Has liked: 326 times
Been liked: 89 times

Re: R.I.P. Phillip Hughes

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:02 pm

SACA press release:

It is with great sadness that the South Australian Cricket Association today confirms the tragic passing of Phillip Hughes.

Phillip, 25, passed away this afternoon as a result of injuries suffered on Tuesday while batting in the Bupa Sheffield Shield match against New South Wales at the Sydney Cricket Ground.

SACA chief executive Keith Bradshaw said today “while everyone at SACA is hurting, the immediate thoughts of all staff and players are for Phillip’s family who were with him at St Vincent’s Hospital in Sydney”.

“He was a very popular member of both the West End Redbacks and Adelaide Strikers cricket teams and a favourite of the SACA members and cricket fans across South Australia and Australia, and we are all struggling to come to terms with the news,” Mr Bradshaw said.

“Loved by everyone, Phillip was a really terrific person and a remarkable talent. He had many friends and team-mates here and interstate that will need support, and it is important we offer them our love and care as we all come to terms with this tragic event.

“The out-pouring of support for Phillip over the past few days has been overwhelming, and a testament to how much of an impact he had on so many people.”

Players and SACA staff, as well as members of his grade cricket club East Torrens, are being offered counselling and ongoing support during this difficult time. SACA’s thoughts are also with Phillip’s Australian and New South Wales friends and team-mates.

Phillip moved to South Australia from New South Wales in 2012 to further his national selection opportunities, cementing his position at the top of the Redbacks’ line-up as well as becoming an outstanding member of the Adelaide Strikers.

He has played 26 Test matches for Australia, averaging 32.65, making three Test centuries. He was the youngest player to score back-to-back centuries in the same match, in only his second Test. In his 114 first class matches, he scored more than 9000 runs, at an average of 46.51.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby whufc » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:07 pm

rip Hughesy

The left handed openers club has lost one of its finest!

Sounds like he lived his life as a true gentlemen of the game which will mean his legacy will live on

Hopefully he keeps crashing them through gully with the other cricket tragicse we have lost through the journey
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Coach Bombay » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:32 pm

Very sad, i am struggling to accept the news to be honest. I convinced myself he would pull through! Although a lot of us don't see eye to eye on this forum, it's times like these that being part of the SA Footy community gives us a place where we can talk about such a tradegy and try and get through. I dunno if that makes any sense but I'm pretty frazzled. Someone lost a son a brother a friend a teammate and all round gentleman today.
The death penalty can never be excused as it allows a state a means by which it can pick and choose who is fit to live and who isnt
Coach Bombay
League - Top 5

Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 142 times

Postby Bombers4EVA » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:37 pm

Coach Bombay wrote:Very sad, i am struggling to accept the news to be honest. I convinced myself he would pull through! Although a lot of us don't see eye to eye on this forum, it's times like these that being part of the SA Footy community gives us a place where we can talk about such a tradegy and try and get through. I dunno if that makes any sense but I'm pretty frazzled. Someone lost a son a brother a friend a teammate and all round gentleman today.

Very true Coach.
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Has liked: 326 times
Been liked: 89 times

Postby Spargo » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:01 pm

Phil Hughes:
26 Tests
26 First Class centuries
26 years on this earth

So very sad.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Jim05 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:24 pm

Pakistan v NZ test has now been abandoned
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Ruben Carter » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:25 pm

Too young, too much a champion, too sad. I feel totally devastated by that news. Sometimes, life really does suck and we get what we don't deserve. :(
If you don’t like my words, don’t listen. If you don’t like my appearance, don’t look. If you don’t like my actions, turn your head; It’s as simple as that.
Ruben Carter
Reserves

Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 75 times
Grassroots Team: Westminster OS

Postby whufc » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:54 pm

Jim05 wrote:Pakistan v NZ test has now been abandoned

Only day 2 has been abandoned they will commence tomorrow
whufc
Coach

Postby mickey » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:20 pm

whufc wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Pakistan v NZ test has now been abandoned

Only day 2 has been abandoned they will commence tomorrow

Made day 2 a rest day, will still be 5 days of cricket
mickey
Coach

Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 312 times
Grassroots Team: Seaton Ramblers

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:07 pm

Terrible day for Australia and world sport. Horrible sickening feeling and I don't know if there has been a worse day in Australian sport.
This will change forever the way we play cricket. I also think in memory of such a tragic event this bloke should never be forgotten @ any stage on the ultimate stage. I would personally like to see the the Baggy Green re-named the Phil Hughes in memory of its importance to Australian Cricket.....
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 738 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby BoundaryRider84 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:15 pm

LaughingKookaburra wrote:Terrible day for Australia and world sport. Horrible sickening feeling and I don't know if there has been a worse day in Australian sport.
This will change forever the way we play cricket. I also think in memory of such a tragic event this bloke should never be forgotten @ any stage on the ultimate stage. I would personally like to see the the Baggy Green re-named the Phil Hughes in memory of its importance to Australian Cricket.....

I don't normally get emotional over celebrities, sports stars or people I don't know personally. But this made my physically sick today, can't believe he has died playing a sport that he and a lot of us love.
WE ARE GEELONG!
BoundaryRider84
League - Best 21

Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 223 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby whufc » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:18 pm

LaughingKookaburra wrote:Terrible day for Australia and world sport. Horrible sickening feeling and I don't know if there has been a worse day in Australian sport.

We were actually talking about that at training tonight

Will this have the impact to change the stereotypical agressive, no holding back, everything is fair game style we have generally been brought up with
whufc
Coach

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:38 pm

Its hard to say whether that will change. It will revolutionalize cricket protection world wide guaranteed. Just makes me sick trying to make any sense of the situation. There is no sense it's cruel... Feel sorry for the family and friends but feel mostly sorry for the man in general who went to work and never came home. Hard to hold back tears....
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:41 pm

In fairness Cricket is Australia's biggest sport and the pride of the country on the world sporting stage. Probably only the Olympics hold greater importance but if that occurred all year round it would hold far less importance than Cricket.
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Postby Big Phil » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:07 pm

Tragic news and so sad to hear of his passing...

Vale Phillip Hughes...

RIP
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 271 times

Postby Special One » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:23 pm

It's soo sad. Seven years on the day he debut but only know that he'll basically end up dying on that special day
Special One
Rookie

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Burr

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:02 pm

If there is one positive its great to see the whole country united again from Cricket. It's truly our national pride and such an unfortunate incident has made come together to support each other. Let's get through this summer and world cup together and its successes will be as good as we have ever remembered and Phil's legacy will live strong.... Go Australia!
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Postby southee » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:30 pm

Shattered and speechless.

Life ain't fair sometimes..

RIP Phillip Hughes.
Is out of change.....thanks Cambridge Clarrie!!!
southee
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 858 times
Been liked: 122 times

Postby Failed Creation » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:49 am

I just got back from visiting the memorial in place at Adelaide Oval.

To say the mood was sombre was an understatement.

Copy of 27Nov2014 (4).jpg
Copy of 27Nov2014 (4).jpg (581.4 KiB) Viewed 9116 times

Copy of 27Nov2014 (3).jpg
Copy of 27Nov2014 (3).jpg (530.8 KiB) Viewed 9116 times
Politicians kissing babies for good luck,
TV preachers sell salvation for a buck.
You don't need no golden cross to tell you wrong from right,
The world's worst murderers were those who saw the light.
Failed Creation
Coach

Has liked: 3307 times
Been liked: 613 times
Grassroots Team: Gawler Central

Next

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket