Aus. v NZ - Test Series / Shaun Marsh Appreciation Thread

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Australia v NZ - Test Series

Postby am Bays » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:48 am

Booney wrote:He would barely be given a pass mark, IMO.

Big test for him and the rest of the team in this period of renewal.

I reckon he's better than a pass mark B+

especially when compared agaisnt the likes of Arthurs and Nielsen eras when the last time NZ were here we drew 1-1.

We are still work in progress.

I got told by a coach in 2004 at the national junior level that we are in for a world of pain as there are no good batsmen coming throiugh. This when we were discussing Australia getting turfed in the group stage at the U19s World Cup in Bangladesh.

Hence why we were picking 35 year olds in the last two years as there are no good batsmen in the country in the age bracket 25-35 apart from Smith and Warner.

Blokes were picked early on potential like Khawaja, Hughes, Warner, Smith and thrust into key batting roles before they were ready. They didn't have the luxury of the likes of Ponting, M Waugh, Lehamn, Langer, Martyn Hayden of a truckload of shield runs before they became permanet members of teh test side (granted some made their debuts early (Ponting and Langer))

Finally the work on Warner, Smith and Khawaja (based on teh last two tests) is finally paying off but they struggled early.

have we got a long way to go still yep but I reckon Lehamn is doing a good job with what he has got to work with.

With the likes of Maddison, Lynn, Doran, Bancroft etc waiting in the wings hopefully we are going to ahve a better batting spine in teh next few years
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 1919 times

Postby mal » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:02 am

Gozu wrote:Since Boof took over:

Lost to England 3-0 (2 draws) in England
Def England 5-0 at home
Def South Africa 2-1 in South Africa
Lost to Pakistan 2-0 in UAE
Def India 2-0 (2 draws) at home
Def West Indies 2-0 in West Indies
Lost to England 3-2 in England

Have to agree with Ambays
B+ for Boof
He didnt have the luxury of a dominating Michael Clarke after the South African tour
Overall he has done a good job
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1330 times
Been liked: 1163 times

Postby Fricky » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:34 am

Johnson just announced he's retiring at the end of this test http://www.cricket.com.au/news/mitchell ... ign=ausvnz
Fricky
League - Best 21

Has liked: 95 times
Been liked: 120 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

Postby Gozu » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:55 am

Suri wrote:Johnson just announced he's retiring at the end of this test http://www.cricket.com.au/news/mitchell ... ign=ausvnz

I never like guys retiring in the middle of a series, surely he could've played one more and just retired after the 3rd Test here?

Just hung around long enough to pass Brett Lee it would seem too.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 663 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:14 pm

Gozu wrote:
Suri wrote:Johnson just announced he's retiring at the end of this test http://www.cricket.com.au/news/mitchell ... ign=ausvnz

I never like guys retiring in the middle of a series, surely he could've played one more and just retired after the 3rd Test here?

I'd rather that than a farewell game where sentiments take over from the game itself.

There's probably only two farewell games that really stick in my mind still, the Steve Waugh match where he made about 80 and was dismissed late on day 5 trying to save an outright loss but still trying to score a ton, I think I shed a tear that day.
The day we farewelled Greg Chappell, DK & Rod Marsh will always be remembered like it was yesterday, cricket didn't seem the same for quite a while after that.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4365 times
Been liked: 8074 times

Postby wristwatcher » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:20 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Gozu wrote:

I'd rather that than a farewell game where sentiments take over from the game itself.

There's probably only two farewell games that really stick in my mind still, the Steve Waugh match where he made about 80 and was dismissed late on day 5 trying to save an outright loss but still trying to score a ton, I think I shed a tear that day.
The day we farewelled Greg Chappell, DK & Rod Marsh will always be remembered like it was yesterday, cricket didn't seem the same for quite a while after that.

I was only 9 years old I think at the time from memory but I simply couldn't fathom how a man could make 182 and not play for Australia any more. The tragedy when Madussar Nassar skidded one through to get the great man LBW was nothing short of devastating. I was filthy on GC when the Windies rolled us for 74ish the following Summer in the first test. He averaged 53.87 FFS. Couldn't agree more, these men where legends to a wide eyed cricket fan. I was tickled pink when I met the 3 of them at different times in my teenage years.
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 861 times

Postby heater31 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:32 pm

Gozu wrote:

Sometimes you just get out of bed as a professional sportsman and go I don't want to do this anymore.....

Clearly with recent comments this has been in his thoughts for a while so why go through the motions for another 5 days? Retire on you adopted home ground the Test Match after your first home ground good way to go I think.
heater31

Has liked: 526 times
Been liked: 1273 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:34 pm

wristwatcher wrote:
I was only 9 years old I think at the time from memory but I simply couldn't fathom how a man could make 182 and not play for Australia any more. The tragedy when Madussar Nassar skidded one through to get the great man LBW was nothing short of devastating. I was filthy on GC when the Windies rolled us for 74ish the following Summer in the first test. He averaged 53.87 FFS. Couldn't agree more, these men where legends to a wide eyed cricket fan. I was tickled pink when I met the 3 of them at different times in my teenage years.

For memory he had a pretty lean run beforehand but it's still good when someone finishes a stellar career with a stylish knock like that, it was when cricket had pizazz and characters, not the cyborg's that the media and society have turned them into nowadays.
I too was privileged enough to meet all three of them, spoke briefly with Greg, had Rod take some training sessions that I was invited out to attend and one day when I was waiting to bat at Parkinson Oval, DK was going for a jog around the area, I asked if he could send a few down to me in the nets and he was happy to oblige, I was only about 17 then so it was such a thrill for me, he was a real blokes bloke.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby wristwatcher » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:40 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
wristwatcher wrote:

For memory he had a pretty lean run beforehand but it's still good when someone finishes a stellar career with a stylish knock like that, it was when cricket had pizazz and characters, not the cyborg's that the media and society have turned them into nowadays.
I too was privileged enough to meet all three of them, spoke briefly with Greg, had Rod take some training sessions that I was invited out to attend and one day when I was waiting to bat at Parkinson Oval, DK was going for a jog around the area, I asked if he could send a few down to me in the nets and he was happy to oblige, I was only about 17 then so it was such a thrill for me, he was a real blokes bloke.

DK was amazing. Met him in Rios as an 18 year old and said "May I please buy you a beer Mr. Lillee" He said he was happy to have a chat to me but I didn't need to buy him a beer. No doubt he had met thousands of drunk yobos who bought him a beer and thought they were instantly best mates. I had a brief polite conversation with him and he seemed like a great bloke to me.
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby wristwatcher » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:41 pm

Mitch Marsh gone. His brother wouldn't have been given out, no doubt he would have edged it onto the pad ;)
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:00 pm

Time to close this one out to a tame draw.

Make it 1-0 going into the third Test and keep the trophy here in Oz.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7634 times
Been liked: 11101 times

Postby wristwatcher » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:04 pm

Booney wrote:Time to close this one out to a tame draw.

Yep agree. With the unknown of pink bits in Adelaide and 2 new players coming in a NZ upset isn't beyond the realms in the decider particularly if they win the toss and get the best of conditions.

Would be nice if Jono could slap a 50 and maybe we set them 400 in the final session :)
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:21 pm

Booney wrote:Time to close this one out to a tame draw.

Pretty un-Australian display today.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:39 pm

Firstly, make sure you can't lose. Then do your best to win.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:58 pm

Booney wrote:Firstly, make sure you can't lose. Then do your best to win.

Bullshit, go out for the win, if it looks too improbable, shut up shop.

Ponting or Steve Waugh would've given Voges the giddy up, we led by 193 runs at the start of the day with 8 wickets in hand, could've gone the swipe, got 350 up with two sessions to defend them. Piss poor.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:07 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:

Ponting or Steve Waugh would've given Voges the giddy up, we led by 193 runs at the start of the day with 8 wickets in hand, could've gone the swipe, got 350 up with two sessions to defend them. Piss poor.

You think they'd have done that in a 3 Test series, leading 1-0, with one Test to go, playing with a pink ball under lights? Er...no.

If this was the first of 4, 5, second of 5, either way, they might have pushed the game forward. In this instance, no, they wouldn't have.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:12 pm

Booney wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

You think they'd have done that in a 3 Test series, leading 1-0, with one Test to go, playing with a pink ball under lights? Er...no.

If this was the first of 4, 5, second of 5, either way, they might have pushed the game forward. In this instance, no, they wouldn't have.

Even more reason to be aggresive in forcing a result, get 2-0 up and take the pink factor out of the equation.
The shaggers would've had a crack at 6 an over for 60 overs, once we break their backs they don't have the tail end to stave off the outright.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby stan » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:13 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Booney wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

Even more reason to be aggresive in forcing a result, get 2-0 up and take the pink factor out of the equation.
The shaggers would've had a crack at 6 an over for 60 overs, once we break their backs they don't have the tail end to stave off the outright.

No tail?

The number 10 hit 21 and there number 11 hit 22.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1271 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:21 pm

stan wrote:No tail?

The number 10 hit 21 and there number 11 hit 22.

After we'd spent 140 overs in the field, you get lucky when you have a dip when there's zero pressure on.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:29 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Booney wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

1 - 1-1 series draw is enough to keep the trophy. Why risk losing today for the sake of making a match of it?
2 - We can't get Williamson out, full stop. He'd hold up one end with a Taylor or the tail ( who isn't actually as poor as you seem to think )
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket