Aus v Ind Test Series

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Aus v Ind Test Series

Postby Rik E Boy » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:39 pm

whufc wrote:
Q. wrote:Fast bowlers have always been prone to these injuries, particularly stress fractures.

Could it be a case that alot of the older bowlers played through these injuries because they put it down to general soreness as technology may not have picked up a lot of the smaller fractures etc

Where these day technology is so advanced any slight injury can be picked up through X-ray, scans, etc etc

Fast bowlers in the past got hurt and had shorter careers. Bruce Reid a prime example but Thommo had his effectiveness curtailed when he crashed into Alan Turner I think it was against Pakistan. Have a look at Mitch. He's taken a lot of wickets and played a lot of Tests. In the past his foot problem may have finished him. Merv Hughes was destroyed in England in 1993, today he would be managed and might have been another to have a longer Career today.

Bowlers started to get hurt more when they're was first more tours and then more formats. A lot of younger bowlers have a mixed approach to the wicket (i.e not fully side or front on and twisting their bodies at the point of delivery) and this combined with too heavy a load on young players has led to injury. At the junior level there are limits as to how much bowling a kid can do but you try and hold back an 18 or 19 year old that just wants to bowl as fast as they can.

We need more bowlers because there is more cricket. Disagree with the post above ( not yours) that says bowlers are soft. Can't be much fun charging in on Roads against batsmen using tree trunks to drop kick the ball over a shortened boundary.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1699 times
Been liked: 1819 times

Postby whufc » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:13 am

Got on Warner for man on match in this one

Feel like it's gonna really favour the batters with there being a fairly friendly declaration at some point due to the dead rubber nature of the game.

Most crucial blokes this test for us I reckon will be Lyon and Watson, both will be expected to bowl a decent amount of overs and for us to win both will need to bowl well.

Don't think it will happen but would love to see Burns go to 3 and Watson to 6 for this match
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5611 times
Been liked: 2538 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby whufc » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:15 am

Rik E Boy wrote:
whufc wrote:
Q. wrote:Fast bowlers have always been prone to these injuries, particularly stress fractures.

Could it be a case that alot of the older bowlers played through these injuries because they put it down to general soreness as technology may not have picked up a lot of the smaller fractures etc

Where these day technology is so advanced any slight injury can be picked up through X-ray, scans, etc etc

Fast bowlers in the past got hurt and had shorter careers. Bruce Reid a prime example but Thommo had his effectiveness curtailed when he crashed into Alan Turner I think it was against Pakistan. Have a look at Mitch. He's taken a lot of wickets and played a lot of Tests. In the past his foot problem may have finished him. Merv Hughes was destroyed in England in 1993, today he would be managed and might have been another to have a longer Career today.

Bowlers started to get hurt more when they're was first more tours and then more formats. A lot of younger bowlers have a mixed approach to the wicket (i.e not fully side or front on and twisting their bodies at the point of delivery) and this combined with too heavy a load on young players has led to injury. At the junior level there are limits as to how much bowling a kid can do but you try and hold back an 18 or 19 year old that just wants to bowl as fast as they can.

We need more bowlers because there is more cricket. Disagree with the post above ( not yours) that says bowlers are soft. Can't be much fun charging in on Roads against batsmen using tree trunks to drop kick the ball over a shortened boundary.

regards,

REB

Good point as well as much as the game has developed nearly all developments have benefited the batsmen, bigger bats, smaller boundaries, better pitches etc etc
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5611 times
Been liked: 2538 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:23 am

looking forward to the match today.

one interesting stat about starc

he has now played 14 tests, and only the first two of those have been consecutively, so for the better part of three years he has played 1 test then been out again.

this might be the one reason i say we should persist with him, he has hardly been able to have an extended crack at it. it is pretty hard to judge someone on single test matches. especially when the lad probably thinks he has to take a 10fa to get a second game (even then that might not happen)
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby stan » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:42 am

India have made 3 changes. Out goes Dhawan, Pujara and I.Sharma.

Pujara is one of there best bats and works hard at the crease. Interesting one. Also Sharma has been there go to man with the ball when things havent bee happening for them. Interesting.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1255 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Grahaml » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:47 am

bennymacca wrote:looking forward to the match today.

he has now played 14 tests, and only the first two of those have been consecutively, so for the better part of three years he has played 1 test then been out again.

this might be the one reason i say we should persist with him, he has hardly been able to have an extended crack at it. it is pretty hard to judge someone on single test matches. especially when the lad probably thinks he has to take a 10fa to get a second game (even then that might not happen)

At the expense of who though? Can't pick him ahead of Johnson or Harris yet surely and he's definitely not challenging Lyon's position. So Hazlewood? Starc may be deserving of a run as you suggest but I think Hazlewood deserves one more right now. Not to mention the chance that I think both Cummins and Pattinson deserve after their respective performances at the top level. I think it's simply a case of having a lot of very good bowling options at once. But as Stuart MacGill amongst many others will attest, it isn't about being good enough, it's about being the best available.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby RB » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:50 am

I've always thought of Starc as a poor man's Johnson. As soon as the batsman start getting on top of him, he completely losers it and becomes very, very inaccurate and goes for even more runs. I hope for his sake he takes wickets because like many I rate Pattinson, Bird, Cummins, even Faulkner and Siddle as well as other Shield bowlers ahead of him.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 772 times
Been liked: 1082 times

Postby Grahaml » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:25 am

stan wrote:India have made 3 changes. Out goes Dhawan, Pujara and I.Sharma.

Pujara is one of there best bats and works hard at the crease. Interesting one. Also Sharma has been there go to man with the ball when things havent bee happening for them. Interesting.

4. Dhoni out too but then we did know that one. Indian batting looks pretty thin. Kohli obviously the stand out while both Vijay and Rahane have been very good. The rest look shaky at best to me.

When will opposition teams learn that you don't pick bowlers based on their batting? Kumar in is surely because he averages near 25 in tests and near 30 in FC cricket. Surely Shami saved by his 30 in Adelaide because his bowling is clearly behind Ishant's. Just pathetic. If the best 6 bats you have available can't do the job then what good will a bloke who just happens to be less of a bunny be? This could get ugly. Ashwin needs to have a great test here you think because he won't get pressure from the other end as much I fear.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:35 am

Grahaml wrote:

At the expense of who though? Can't pick him ahead of Johnson or Harris yet surely and he's definitely not challenging Lyon's position. So Hazlewood? Starc may be deserving of a run as you suggest but I think Hazlewood deserves one more right now. Not to mention the chance that I think both Cummins and Pattinson deserve after their respective performances at the top level. I think it's simply a case of having a lot of very good bowling options at once. But as Stuart MacGill amongst many others will attest, it isn't about being good enough, it's about being the best available.

im not saying he should be in the team ahead of anyone else, just that some on here were saying it was his last chance today, but my point is even though he has played 14 tests he kind hasn't even had his first chance yet, let alone his last.

the counter argument is that he hasn't done well enough to make the position his own, and thats true, but once again thats hard to do in a single test.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:38 am

These pricks couldnt catch a cold.
Rahul's was a deadset disgrace
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3561 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:38 am

The Indians drop a sitter at second slip which would have seen Rogers on his way

0/50 off 8 overs
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11915 times
Been liked: 3628 times

Aus v Ind Test Series

Postby Jim05 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:29 am

Another 50 to Warner, 0/97 in the 19th
Jim05
Coach

Postby Bombers4EVA » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:40 am

Are we turning the 4th test into a match where they can see who can make the most runs with the least amount of balls faced?? Its almost like watching either a 20/20 or a 50/50 match.
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Has liked: 326 times
Been liked: 89 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:43 am

Bombers4EVA wrote:Are we turning the 4th test into a match where they can see who can make the most runs with the least amount of balls faced?? Its almost like watching either a 20/20 or a 50/50 match.

The pitch is flat as a pancake

India's bowling leaves a lot to be desired at the best of times away from home
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:46 am

looks like Rahul has let another chance go by, as the ball fell inches short of his hands
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:49 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:looks like Rahul has let another chance go by, as the ball fell inches short of his hands

Reckon he gave that one the short arm
Jim05
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:01 pm

0/123 @ lunch
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby Coach Bombay » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:02 pm

5 50's in a row to Rogers. Might be a record, im not sure.
The death penalty can never be excused as it allows a state a means by which it can pick and choose who is fit to live and who isnt
Coach Bombay
League - Top 5

Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 142 times

Postby Bombers4EVA » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:04 pm

Coach Bombay wrote:5 50's in a row to Rogers. Might be a record, im not sure.

The 2014 - 2015 "Haddin". Comparing to Haddin's Ashes campain last year where he made quite a few runs.
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Has liked: 326 times
Been liked: 89 times

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:13 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
Bombers4EVA wrote:Are we turning the 4th test into a match where they can see who can make the most runs with the least amount of balls faced?? Its almost like watching either a 20/20 or a 50/50 match.

The pitch is flat as a pancake

India's bowling leaves a lot to be desired at the best of times away from home

looks like they need to go back to adelaide oval for the hope of a result :D
bennymacca
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket