Total votes : 42

Re: 2024 Adelaide Footy League - Division 6

by MW » Sun May 05, 2024 9:19 am

morell wrote:
LaughingKookaburra wrote:
jo172 wrote:
morell wrote:Says as much about Fitzroy as it does Elizabeth. Poor form IMO

Agree, far more embarrassing by Fitzroy

Disagree. It’s A grade football. Celebrating and carrying on like taking a picture in front of the scoreboard after the game is a seperate conversation…

It's division 6 non professional "A" grade football

As soon as they got 40ish goals up they needed to practice some circle work and throw the magnets around

Putting up 82 goals is pathetic and demeaning. Only thing they achieved is to humiliate people who are no doubt volunteering their time to keep their club alive. Absolutely no need beyond that.

Not sure what’s more embarrassing… the scoreboard or this take
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2633 times
Been liked: 1862 times

by Footy Chick » Sun May 05, 2024 9:24 am

morell wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:The scores are pretty ridiculous, and no one wants to see any club go through what Elizabeth are experiencing right now - but let's face it, it could happen to any club, at any time. Elizabeth are a proud club and will come back from this.

I invite any of you to go back through the posts of 2014 and see how many people felt bad for Kilburn when it happened to them

or back to 2007 or whenever it was to see if anyone felt sorry for the Kaurna Eagles.

Yeah, I didn't think so.

There's nothing like today's score. The scale is what makes it so repugnant

What 11 goals? The old highest was 71 goals by BOS. Kilburn currently sit on the wrong end of 4 of the top 10 highest scores ever.

They survived.

This isn't U9s.
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1741 times
Been liked: 2148 times

by morell » Sun May 05, 2024 10:10 am

Now it's all over the media - TV and newspaper. And the headlines often leading with Elizabeth. Well done :roll:

And yeah, 11 goals! 11...

And the level is irrelevant FC - sportsmanship is sportsmanship, I've seen AFL clubs put the cue in the rack. I'm a Rugby fan so often see scores at world cups when the smaller countries play bigger one and they absolutely and purposefully start playing in a different way.

Fully aware this is one of those ones that the classic Aussie way of thinking about sport (that I'm often critical of) is bubbling up.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1143 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

by morell » Sun May 05, 2024 10:23 am

MW wrote:
morell wrote:
LaughingKookaburra wrote:
jo172 wrote:
Agree, far more embarrassing by Fitzroy

Disagree. It’s A grade football. Celebrating and carrying on like taking a picture in front of the scoreboard after the game is a seperate conversation…

It's division 6 non professional "A" grade football

As soon as they got 40ish goals up they needed to practice some circle work and throw the magnets around

Putting up 82 goals is pathetic and demeaning. Only thing they achieved is to humiliate people who are no doubt volunteering their time to keep their club alive. Absolutely no need beyond that.

Not sure what’s more embarrassing… the scoreboard or this take
Thanks for the support MW. If I'm out of step with the SA Footy group think it's always a good indication that I'm roughly thinking about things in the right way
morell
Coach

by Footy Chick » Sun May 05, 2024 10:47 am

Morgs, I think this is not so much about Elizabeth copping the beatings, as it is about the clubs involved beating their chests and almost being "bad winners'

But as I keep swapping good cop and bad cop hats, lets remember that Elizabeth still hold the 3rd highest score in the history of the league and to this day have a memory of it hanging in their clubrooms.

Do you think they gave any thought to North Pines when they did it?

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

by whufc » Sun May 05, 2024 11:28 am

Yeah the opposition probably should throw the magents around but let’s not kid ourselves even if they did that it probably goes from 80 something to 65-70 goals which is still a belting.

You can’t expect teams to just hold possession and not try and score either.

Obviously the issue is how it all got to that situation and what the league do now. Obviously it’s very devisive as to how Elizabeth handles the situation and what they were saying to the league

It’s no good for any one though and whilst Fitzroy kicked 80 goals yesterday I’m not sure playing them next time is holding a lot of excitment. As a player I would much rather lose an epic battle by a couple of goals than be a winner in a game like yesterday.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5609 times
Been liked: 2538 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

by morell » Sun May 05, 2024 11:33 am

Yeah that's more than fair FC

I'm not much concerned with Elizabeth - we've been (are?) there. Most clubs have.

The negative media attention, humiliation, criticism online etc etc could have all been avoided if Fitzroy showed a bit more decorum and class. That's all my point really is.

What I did find an odd coincidence when perusing the socials was a status from one of our blokes in 2016 when Fitzroy were really struggling. He kicked his first ever and only goal that day. I recall we were up by 20 goals to 0 at three quarter time at home. I benched my three best players. Played the back 6 in the front 6 and gave some midfield time to some youngsters.

We won 22 goals to nothing. Fitzroy went home obviously disappointed but with their heads held high.

It's not hard to show empathy, respect and a level of thinking more broadly about the health of the sport
morell
Coach

by Fools Gold » Sun May 05, 2024 12:29 pm

Credit where credit’s due. Rosenthal declined the interview with the Footy Show this morning out of respect
Fools Gold

Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 21 times
Grassroots Team: Solomontown

by morell » Sun May 05, 2024 12:53 pm

Fools Gold wrote:Credit where credit’s due. Rosenthal declined the interview with the Footy Show this morning out of respect

Also thought the respect shown by the President in their statement was nicely done

Of course it would have been better to have just not needed to decline interviews and make classy statements in the first place
morell
Coach

by mickey » Sun May 05, 2024 1:55 pm

Why don't we just say no team can win by more than 10 goals. Anything after being 60 points up the scoreboard doesn't keep score. That way, people won't have to tank parts of the game for fear of hurting opposition clubs feelings.

I've been on the end of more 30 goal losses than I've handed out and this talk is just plain BS.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
mickey
Coach

Has liked: 139 times
Been liked: 314 times
Grassroots Team: Seaton Ramblers

by Arch44 » Sun May 05, 2024 4:08 pm

morell wrote:
Fools Gold wrote:Credit where credit’s due. Rosenthal declined the interview with the Footy Show this morning out of respect

Also thought the respect shown by the President in their statement was nicely done

Of course it would have been better to have just not needed to decline interviews and make classy statements in the first place

Seriously. Does anyone do anything right in your world Morrell besides you?
If we’d done what you’d suggested Elizabeth still lose by plenty and probably not much less. Not that it needs to be said, we don’t go there to break records that just unfolded late in seconf half all we did was go there for percentage like everyone else will be doing and as Bedge said the the top 5 will be very tight and percentage sorts that.
Hogg Shield Div IV 2018 Winner
Arch44
League - Top 5

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 275 times

by whufc » Sun May 05, 2024 4:17 pm

Yeah agree 100 goals might not be off the cards as the year goes on.

If they are genuine c and d grade types the bodies are only going to get sorer and sorer as the year goes on, there will be a few casualties who drop off along the way.

Might even have blokes chasing the leading goal kicking title by getting an extra bag against them.

Cop an IF, EP, Fitzroy late in the year chasing percentage and I wouldn’t rule out 100
whufc
Coach

by morell » Sun May 05, 2024 4:21 pm

Arch44 wrote:
morell wrote:

Seriously. Does anyone do anything right in your world Morrell besides you?
If we’d done what you’d suggested Elizabeth still lose by plenty and probably not much less. Not that it needs to be said, we don’t go there to break records that just unfolded late in seconf half all we did was go there for percentage like everyone else will be doing and as Bedge said the the top 5 will be very tight and percentage sorts that.
Reading comprehension at Fitzroy at the same levels as empathy it seems :lol:

You literally quoted me saying it was the right thing to do to refuse the interview and I then complimented the statement you made.

Don't blame me for the uncomfortable nature of accountability.
morell
Coach

by morell » Sun May 05, 2024 4:23 pm

Now reached the lofty heights of national TV on The Project :-BD
morell
Coach

by The Bedge » Sun May 05, 2024 4:40 pm

100 goals is impossible whuffer - would literally need to be kicking a goal like every 45 seconds for 4 quarters.

How Fitzroy got 80+ is still beyond belief. Quarters are 20min (plus time on).. must’ve been some fast clearance + goal work.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3196 times
Been liked: 4035 times

by whufc » Sun May 05, 2024 4:45 pm

The Bedge wrote:100 goals is impossible whuffer - would literally need to be kicking a goal like every 45 seconds for 4 quarters.

How Fitzroy got 80+ is still beyond belief. Quarters are 20min (plus time on).. must’ve been some fast clearance + goal work.

Yeah I didn’t do the math…..

Watched the first five minutes on Dartfish and apart from about 45 seconds of scrappy football it was ruck contest, inside 50, goal. Sometimes the longest gap was the player lining up for a shot on goal
whufc
Coach

by LaughingKookaburra » Sun May 05, 2024 5:17 pm

I get the points that Morrell is making, just don’t agree with them. At the end of the year if you miss out on finals or a top 3 spot by 1-2% just because you beat Elizabeth by 15 less goals than the side above you then you are going to have some pretty pissed off people if you took the foot off the gas and flicked the magnets around. It’s not like you can say that it’s a result over 18 rounds because take that result away then you clearly have played better over the season.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 747 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

by Lightning McQueen » Sun May 05, 2024 5:45 pm

I think everyone should get a participation award and scores not kept.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4348 times
Been liked: 7941 times

by Yank Man » Sun May 05, 2024 5:55 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:I think everyone should get a participation award and scores not kept.

……or, the league could just let them play and have no scores as you say LM. Go back to round 1 and every team they play get a 10 goal to 0 score line. Then there’s no issue with clubs going hard for percentage. Even playing field and everyone at least gets a game. ;)
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 320 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

by Footy Chick » Sun May 05, 2024 6:21 pm

OR (while we're throwing around ridiculous alternatives)

anyone playing Elizabeth in future rounds is to rest their A grade and play a B grade side for the sake of an equal competition and an aggregate win is applied to the 3 teams that have already played them.

This provides a good rest week for the A graders and still gives the lower grade guys an opportunity to have a kick and a catch

Footy Chick

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League