New Footy Season Format Options for 2020

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: New Footy Season Format Options for 2020

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:20 am

locky801 wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:E

the restrictions should be lifted state by state, not on a national scale.

Better ring Steven then and tell him ;)

I'll give him a holler.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4347 times
Been liked: 7939 times

Postby whufc » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:51 pm

The Bedge wrote:
jo172 wrote:It won't be completely normal, but if there's <10 active cases in the state I suspect they'll have a hard time justifying continuing restrictions to the present extent.

At some point we will need to bite the bullet and lift some restrictions - if we continue with <10 cases per day, that could continue for god knows how long.. we cant live forever waiting for that number to become zero.

Aren't the temporary/backup hospitals online now? We must surely be almost at a point where we can somewhat cop with a bit more activity?

Best comment on here yet!

Restrictions should be internally loosened state by state pending their individual circumstances especially if the borders remain closed. I know Steve Marshall has said they are taking a national view on this but personally i think that his himself buying time and taking somewhat pressure of him to loosen any restrictions. If in 3 weeks time he came out and said ok, we are going really well we are going to allow certain things back his not going to have many detractors at all.

I think the national view comment was a win/win statement to make.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5604 times
Been liked: 2537 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Bluedemon » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:28 pm

locky801 wrote:Interesting that a draw of some description is out, i will be watching with baited breath on how this will work with the current restrictions, especially on the licensing front which is being touted as being lifted in the 1st week of september.

The Premier was quote forthright on talk media this morning that we will not be rushing anything and will be totally guided by the medical experts.

Hopefully there will be some footy however my lads been told not to get his hopes up

looks like it has been removed from the website
SAFooty.net, where you hear the community football news first
Bluedemon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 97 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby football tragic » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:30 am

I think the season will be started June playing 12 games + finals.
Season will end on the 29th of August with finals being played until the end of September
football tragic
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Barossa District

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:13 am

football tragic wrote:I think the season will be started June playing 12 games + finals.
Season will end on the 29th of August with finals being played until the end of September

There wont be 12 rounds, clubs will go boonta with an uneven draw.

As much as I like to think that you're right, I'd be banking more on a July start if any.

I do wonder what line the Health Authorities will draw to allow footy to get underway, will they expect us to have completely gotten rid of the virus, 95% recovery rate or any other form of measurement?
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:41 am

The Big Shrek wrote:Got a phone call from John Kernahan the other day who was ringing around to see how people and clubs were travelling.

I thought it was really nice that he was taking the time to speak to people even though football is not on, and worthy of a mention on here. It must be tough for those at league HQ given they have had to let employees go and a facing real uncertainty as to their own future there.

As much as I like to join in a good internet whinge, what we usually complain about here is pretty minor. We forget how lucky we are to play in such a good competition.

At the age of 36 I'll be as excited as I've ever been when footy gets back up and running!

Did anyone hear the great man's interview yesterday on SEN?

https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=632465
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:45 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
football tragic wrote:I think the season will be started June playing 12 games + finals.

For one year in extraordinary times I don't think the clubs would, more games = more chance for the footy clubs to cover costs and recover the sense of community.

Make the double up games against teams next to each other on 2019 ladder to make it as fair as possible.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2331 times
Been liked: 3555 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:49 am

Dutchy wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

For one year in extraordinary times I don't think the clubs would, more games = more chance for the footy clubs to cover costs and recover the sense of community.

Make the double up games against teams next to each other on 2019 ladder to make it as fair as possible.

You'd like to think so, I'd say JK and the gang will come up with the best possible scenario to appease all.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby football tragic » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:04 pm

Perhaps in the Amateur SAAFL league clubs would go bunter about the uneven draw.
However in country comps the draw usually is set out where some teams you play twice and others once depending where you finished last season so this draw could work for those.
I believe a July start would be too late to salvage a season and they will be trying to get training underway very late may for a June 20 start,
Just my thoughts
football tragic
Rookie

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:11 pm

football tragic wrote:Perhaps in the Amateur SAAFL league clubs would go bunter about the uneven draw.
However in country comps the draw usually is set out where some teams you play twice and others once depending where you finished last season so this draw could work for those.
I believe a July start would be too late to salvage a season and they will be trying to get training underway very late may for a June 20 start,
Just my thoughts

It's about when the APFL starts up anyway most years :lol:

Believe me, I hope you are right, I'm struggling to find the motivation to go for a run after work now that daylight savings has ended and the guts is feeling it, I can't wait to get back out there and amongst it.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby locky801 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:25 pm

Will all depend on when social distancing and numbers are relaxed hopefully something may come out of the cabinet meeting today
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3733 times
Been liked: 1176 times

Postby Bluedemon » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:11 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
The Big Shrek wrote:Got a phone call from John Kernahan the other day who was ringing around to see how people and clubs were travelling.

I thought it was really nice that he was taking the time to speak to people even though football is not on, and worthy of a mention on here. It must be tough for those at league HQ given they have had to let employees go and a facing real uncertainty as to their own future there.

As much as I like to join in a good internet whinge, what we usually complain about here is pretty minor. We forget how lucky we are to play in such a good competition.

At the age of 36 I'll be as excited as I've ever been when footy gets back up and running!

Did anyone hear the great man's interview yesterday on SEN?

https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=632465

yes I did
SAFooty.net, where you hear the community football news first
Bluedemon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 97 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby football tragic » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:53 pm

Just received the survey from the league about starting date 13th June
Anyone else receive the email yet.
Thoughts?
football tragic
Rookie

Postby gadj1976 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:48 pm

football tragic wrote:Just received the survey from the league about starting date 13th June
Anyone else receive the email yet.
Thoughts?

A survey, asking about a start date??

How odd.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby football tragic » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:03 pm

They actually called it a questionnaire, probably more searching for clubs feedback about a possible start date in June.
Im sure you will all hear more about it from your clubs over the next 24hrs as they are wanting the form filled out and sent back by the 28th of April.
football tragic
Rookie

Postby davideyy71 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:26 pm

Good to see league is seeking clubs feedback.

If the government allows community sport training in a couple weeks, and games are allowed in June, it would be frustrating from a players perspective to be training from mid may all the way through to july/august without games on weekends. Clubs will probably just end up playing internal trials in that period, or players may go to other leagues starting earlier. It would be harder to motivate social players to come out for a handful of games in the middle of winter too.

If there's no relegation and promotion in 2020, i think it would make sense to just get the games going as soon as the government / health authorities say it's safe to do so. With less than a handful of new COVID19 cases this week in SA, and only 5 instances of community spread since February I'd hope SA is in a good position to bring back footy pretty soon.

Hopefully clubs can get through the financial difficulty of not being able to run a bar / canteen etc, but if they can't get up in 2020, they could always choose to sit out 2020 and build for 2021.

I don't think anyone expected Aus / SA to be in this good a position as we are now when the league announced the mid June start date.
davideyy71
Mini-League

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 6 times
Grassroots Team: Unley

Postby locky801 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:59 pm

Professional cleaning businesses about to get a huge boost in work if this is the case
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3733 times
Been liked: 1176 times

Postby Pag » Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:52 am

At a guess, and without speaking for my club, but I would reckon we wouldn’t get through unless we could operate the bar etc like usual.
Last edited by Pag on Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 499 times

Postby daysofourlives » Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:57 am

Pag wrote:At a guess, and without speaking for my club, but I will would reckon we wouldn’t get through unless we could operate the bar etc like usual.

Either that or all players will need to play for free
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2424 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Gilligan » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:35 am

Pag wrote:At a guess, and without speaking for my club, but I will would reckon we wouldn’t get through unless we could operate the bar etc like usual.

Have heard that they are keen to get community sport back on the go as soon as they can , but cannot see how it will work as I believe they are going to still enforce social distancing regulations ie people at grounds to be 1.5 metres apart and also only 100 people at any outdoor venue at the one time . So that would mean playing in front of no spectators , no income to clubs but outgoing expenses like training supplies ( tape etc ) player payments clubs would go broke.
Also when you add up numbers just for footy without considering netball with 2 junior sides and 2 senior sides you have 84 players at the ground so only leaves 16 extras to cover umpires coaches , trainers so can't see how it's going to work for country clubs may work at some suburban clubs with only a couple of sides but still not going to make a lot of money over bar or canteen with only 100 people at venue
Sometimes the old guys do know whats best
Gilligan
Rookie

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 14 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League