lower grade association medals

Adelaide Footy League Talk

lower grade association medals

Postby Footy Chick » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:16 pm

Hi gang

For those that were there last night- and have been going to these for a while, will know that the turn out didn't exactly set the world on fire compared to previous years.

Realising you can't speak for your whole club - but how would you like to see this changed, which would bring the punters back in droves, just like back in the day.

Are people not going because it's not worth driving all the way into Thebby for a 5 minute powerpoint presentation and then head home again?

Does it need to go out to the clubs?

Do the divs need to be separated or sorts? We already have D1/2 - do we do 3/4, then a 5/6/7 dinner?

Does each division each need their own count (this would be lovely but possibly a logistic nightmare)

I will actually get TPTB to take everything into consideration, however I'm guessing that the final vote would go to the clubs at a delegates meeting.
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Re: lower grade association medals

Postby The Bedge » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:21 pm

Footy Chick wrote:Are people not going because it's not worth driving all the way into Thebby for a 5 minute powerpoint presentation and then head home again?
Yes
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3193 times
Been liked: 4001 times

Postby The Bedge » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:24 pm

Split Divisions up and do full counts on a night.. make clubs purchase a table of say 10, include a drinks package if possible.

Clubs could fill a table of 10 easy enough - coach, footy director, top vote getters..

Create Powerpoints that go through each round to speed things up a bit, should take around 30-45min per div to knock it off, could get through 2xdivs in an evening..
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Arch44 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:37 pm

Zartan wrote:Split Divisions up and do full counts on a night.. make clubs purchase a table of say 10, include a drinks package if possible.

Clubs could fill a table of 10 easy enough - coach, footy director, top vote getters..

Create Powerpoints that go through each round to speed things up a bit, should take around 30-45min per div to knock it off, could get through 2xdivs in an evening..

Sounds good but I reckon if there was drinks a package that would come at a cost and I'm not convinced people would pay to go.
I would still go though and be a snob.
Hogg Shield Div IV 2018 Winner
Arch44
League - Top 5

Has liked: 717 times
Been liked: 272 times

Postby The Bedge » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:39 pm

Arch44 wrote:Sounds good but I reckon if there was drinks a package that would come at a cost and I'm not convinced people would pay to go.
I would still go though and be a snob.

Obviously would come at a cost - perhaps force clubs to purchase a table of say 10 and then it's up to them to recoup the cost however they choose - whether that be charging attendees or whatever.

I would happily pay to go have a few drinks and watch a couple of counts knowing it wouldn't be over as quick as my bedroom antics
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Mr Beefy » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:01 pm

Not worth going for a 5 minute presso, that's over before you know it.
5 minute presso is degrading to every division bar D1 and D2.
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby jo172 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:01 pm

Zartan wrote:Split Divisions up and do full counts on a night.. make clubs purchase a table of say 10, include a drinks package if possible.

So essentially the Div 1/Div 2 medal count then?

Pay for it in installments as part of your calls throughout the year and boom, there it is.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1199 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby Junior coach » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:08 pm

Footy Chick wrote:Hi gang

For those that were there last night- and have been going to these for a while, will know that the turn out didn't exactly set the world on fire compared to previous years.

Realising you can't speak for your whole club - but how would you like to see this changed, which would bring the punters back in droves, just like back in the day.

Are people not going because it's not worth driving all the way into Thebby for a 5 minute powerpoint presentation and then head home again?

Does it need to go out to the clubs?

Do the divs need to be separated or sorts? We already have D1/2 - do we do 3/4, then a 5/6/7 dinner?

Does each division each need their own count (this would be lovely but possibly a logistic nightmare)

I will actually get TPTB to take everything into consideration, however I'm guessing that the final vote would go to the clubs at a delegates meeting.

Bring it back to the clubs so the clubs can make some money like they do in the juniors it's a win win it helps struggling clubs.
Junior coach
Rookie

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby morell » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:15 pm

Get the voting system right so the award itself is not as meaningless as a participation certificate printed from Microsoft Publisher.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1141 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby Q. » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:24 pm

morell wrote:Get the voting system right so the award itself is not as meaningless as a participation certificate printed from Microsoft Publisher.

Honestly, how many of the A-Grade winners do you think weren't worthy of their medal due to the voting system?

The answer is, none.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby morell » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:28 pm

So only the winners should go then? As FC's question was in regards to getting more numbers to the night.

Make the voting system fairer or more representative, so people feel like their good games are actually going to get recognised, and you might get a few more people.

EDIT - and yeah, I do think there have been winners of the award that haven't been anywhere near the best and fairest in their comp.
Last edited by morell on Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
morell
Coach

Postby human_torpedo » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:31 pm

I like how they released the top 20, or maybe if they were doing the invites maybe the top 3 from each club could be an option.. Needs to be umpires, mistakes are made like always but they are the only 'independent' people who wouldn't compromise votes (you hope)
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 371 times

Postby morell » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:33 pm

Sigh.

We've always done it this way, therefore its the only way.
morell
Coach

Postby human_torpedo » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:35 pm

Coaches pick a 3-2-1? How much bickering would go on, especially in close games.. What other way would you do it? Im sure a Morell theory is just waiting to burst out here, fire away
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

Postby Footy Chick » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:38 pm

Do it in your own thread and leave mine alone!

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Postby morell » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:40 pm

Hahahah, FC this is pertinent to getting more people to the night!!

Already been done and dusted in the D7 thread.

Copy the AFL coaches MVP award. Both coaches give their votes 5-4-3-2-1 for BOTH teams. Votes are then combined.

So its might be

Mitchell Park Coach
5 - Q. (Houghton)
4 - human torpedo (Houghton)
3 - marbles (Mitchell Park)
2 - Zartan (Mitchell Park)
1 - morell (Mitchell Park)

Houghton Coach
5 - human torpedo (Houghton)
4 - marbles (Mitchell Park)
3 - Q. (Houghton)
2 - Zartan (Mitchell Park)
1 - Footy Chick (Houghton)

Total
9 - human torpedo (Houghton)
8 - Q. (Houghton)
7 - marbles (Mitchell Park)
4 - Zartan (Mitchell Park)
1 - morell (Mitchell Park)
1 - Footy Chick (Houghton)

That way, you get people who know what they're talking about AND inherent bias is mitigated by the opposition coaches votes.

Its particularly laughable in the reserves. It is a farce at that level.
Last edited by morell on Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
morell
Coach

Postby human_torpedo » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:45 pm

Accurate summation. Not sure what the Mitchell Park coach was watching but anyway, Houghton are switched on!

Nah don't mind it

And throw it back to the clubs FC, split divs 1/2, 3/4, 5/6/7. Only issue is what you do with div 8 and C divisions, could become a bit of a nightmare trying to fill those nights, ill leave that one up to you
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

Postby Footy Chick » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:47 pm

Morgs....

:lol: :lol:

Footy Chick

Postby morell » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:52 pm

I can personally guarantee you, that there are players at my club (a lower division club), that were extremely miffed at the votes, I can also guarantee you that had the votes been more accurate they would have been invited and would have likely attended.

Just because you lot are all campfire-kumbaya-everyone-deserves-their-kudos-lets-celebrate-by-back-slapping-eachother-and-as-long-as-the-winner-is-right-the-rest-doesn't-matter ..... doesn't mean there aren't others that are highly analytical, thoughtful and precise. And vain. :lol: Kids these days man, they're all about the status.

You asked what was stopping people from attending and I am telling you the voting system is a contributing factor.
Last edited by morell on Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
morell
Coach

Postby Pag » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:53 pm

I think you could do it D3/D3R/D4/D4R all together in one night and not have any issues, from Rd 1-18 with a break between each. Get 20 clubs at the one place (maybe 200 people). Then the same for D5/D5R/D6/D6R etc at another venue.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 499 times

Next

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League