Junior Football

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: Junior Football

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:56 am

What are your club's junior registration & playing fees?
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4347 times
Been liked: 7926 times

Postby Yank Man » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:35 am

cracka wrote:
Yank Man wrote:FWIW my view is that anyone who has the desire to coach should at least get level 1 accreditation. It's more about the great people you meet and the friendships you build from there. Whether it's mods or upwards it is of little consequence, it's nice to have and a base to build on. All coaches should have some form of accreditation, I think anyway. ;)

I agree if someone has a desire to coach, but Dads doing it for the development of their kids, not to be serious coaches shouldn't have to go through a level 1 course.
Not sure that doing the course aids in meeting people & developing friendships, that happens more just from coaching.
Surely an U8 modis coach doesn't need to design training drills, teach the kids about team structures & switching the play etc. which is what the level 1 course I did was focused on. Then the booklet that you have to fill out & get a mentor to witness you coaching & write comments on. Its meant to be a fun age for kids & their dads.

Fair call cracka. Wow level one has changed a bit since my time, sounds more like my level two was. I like the idea of level O but. Is it just in the hills or do other leagues have it as well?
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 317 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:44 am

cracka wrote:
Yank Man wrote:FWIW my view is that anyone who has the desire to coach should at least get level 1 accreditation. It's more about the great people you meet and the friendships you build from there. Whether it's mods or upwards it is of little consequence, it's nice to have and a base to build on. All coaches should have some form of accreditation, I think anyway. ;)

I agree if someone has a desire to coach, but Dads doing it for the development of their kids, not to be serious coaches shouldn't have to go through a level 1 course.
Not sure that doing the course aids in meeting people & developing friendships, that happens more just from coaching.
Surely an U8 modis coach doesn't need to design training drills, teach the kids about team structures & switching the play etc. which is what the level 1 course I did was focused on. Then the booklet that you have to fill out & get a mentor to witness you coaching & write comments on. Its meant to be a fun age for kids & their dads.

Disagree, I think all coaches should at least do the introductory to coach course. Not so much about designing the drills and teaching team structures, but may open the coaches eyes to other areas that require attention that they may have previously had an unconcious bias towards.
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:55 am

Phantom Gossiper wrote:
cracka wrote:

Disagree, I think all coaches should at least do the introductory to coach course. Not so much about designing the drills and teaching team structures, but may open the coaches eyes to other areas that require attention that they may have previously had an unconcious bias towards.

agree PG... Level 1 is pretty much based around under age football... Not alot to do with seniors... It's very basic and i think its worth doing it...
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3026 times
Been liked: 2401 times

Postby cracka » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:51 am

Phantom Gossiper wrote:
cracka wrote:

I think you're actually agreeing with me as the introductory course is the level 0 that the HFL do (not sure of other leagues). The level 1 I did 5 years ago had David Oatey as the speaker & the videos that were shown were of Norwoods U16 development squads drills which is a fair way from how to train modis. Then there is the booklet that needs to be completed by the coach & his or her mentor, a bit over the top for a dad just helping out IMO.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 462 times
Been liked: 567 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:59 am

cracka wrote:I think you're actually agreeing with me as the introductory course is the level 0 that the HFL do (not sure of other leagues). The level 1 I did 5 years ago had David Oatey as the speaker & the videos that were shown were of Norwoods U16 development squads drills which is a fair way from how to train modis. Then there is the booklet that needs to be completed by the coach & his or her mentor, a bit over the top for a dad just helping out IMO.

Ok i'm with you now, the level 1 still have merit though, but yes probably more suited to the person who wants to take their coaching a bit more seriously.

Really when you look at junior football, until you begin recording results and having a premiership ladder, the coach on game day is just a glorified team manager who is there to make sure the kids get maximum participation and enjoyment.
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:12 pm

Phantom Gossiper wrote:
cracka wrote:I think you're actually agreeing with me as the introductory course is the level 0 that the HFL do (not sure of other leagues). The level 1 I did 5 years ago had David Oatey as the speaker & the videos that were shown were of Norwoods U16 development squads drills which is a fair way from how to train modis. Then there is the booklet that needs to be completed by the coach & his or her mentor, a bit over the top for a dad just helping out IMO.

Ok i'm with you now, the level 1 still have merit though, but yes probably more suited to the person who wants to take their coaching a bit more seriously.

Really when you look at junior football, until you begin recording results and having a premiership ladder, the coach on game day is just a glorified team manager who is there to make sure the kids get maximum participation and enjoyment.

Not the case PG, these are the most important developing years, the coach's role in the younger age groups is to narrow the difference between their best player and their least skilled player.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby cracka » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:16 pm

Phantom Gossiper wrote:

Correct.
cracka
Veteran

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:18 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:Not the case PG, these are the most important developing years, the coach's role in the younger age groups is to narrow the difference between their best player and their least skilled player.

That's what training is for..
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:26 pm

Phantom Gossiper wrote:That's what training is for..

You haven't coached little tackers then mate. It's pretty hard to keep 20 eight year olds focussed on training drills at the same time, on game days you have to set goals for the little fella's to try and achieve and to try and reward your better players to include the lesser players in their plays.
My lad's team has about 6 or 7 outstanding players and they could just keep the ball amongst themselves and score plenty of times. it's trying to make sure they get the other kids into the game that is the key.
It's like anything really, match day practice, getting the kids to have the confidence in themselves to go and get the ball in a match opposed to training.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:27 pm

cracka wrote:
Phantom Gossiper wrote:

Correct.

I don't think so.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby cracka » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:01 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:

You haven't coached little tackers then mate. It's pretty hard to keep 20 eight year olds focussed on training drills at the same time, on game days you have to set goals for the little fella's to try and achieve and to try and reward your better players to include the lesser players in their plays.
My lad's team has about 6 or 7 outstanding players and they could just keep the ball amongst themselves and score plenty of times. it's trying to make sure they get the other kids into the game that is the key.
It's like anything really, match day practice, getting the kids to have the confidence in themselves to go and get the ball in a match opposed to training.

The level 1 coaching course has nothing to do with what you have just said. It's aimed at U13's up.
An U8 coach should focus on it being fun before setting goals for the kids to achieve.
cracka
Veteran

Postby Look Good In Leather » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:04 pm

cracka wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

The level 1 coaching course has nothing to do with what you have just said. It's aimed at U13's up.
An U8 coach should focus on it being fun before setting goals for the kids to achieve.

No, an U/8 coach should focus on teaching the basic skills.
Fun can be had in a playground, but it is unlikely that they will learn how to kick in the process.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:10 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:

Coached plenty of young kids, i'm not saying there isnt a focus on game day for development but i've never seen it as a priority similarly to winning.
Game day in my opinion is about allowing these lesser players the opportunity to play the game and get a decent run instead of sitting them on the pine all day, and that opportunity isnt about sticking them on the field in a position where you can hide them or likely not to have massive involvement.
Build confidence in the player.

As for training, of course it can be difficult to keep 20 eight yr old kids interested, but that's a challenge of coaching and there are ways around it - smaller groups, shorter exercises, more enjoyable drills etc. Get parents involved to help.. look at AUSKICK, prime example of how you can manage large number of kids and make sure they get benefit from it.

30-30 your serve :lol:
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:12 pm

kids are very simple... make sure they enjoy it and that they are learning... nothing to complicated... the biggest issue you face coaching kids is there parents :lol:
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3026 times
Been liked: 2401 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:47 pm

cracka wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

I never once mentioned level 1 coaching course, correct, it's aimed at setting up training drills and keeping records of improvements.

As for the rest, I'll agree to disagree, too many times little Johnny only plays because mum and dad want him to play, these kids slow the progression of the rest of the group.
I've coached from under 6's to seniors over the past 15 years and it's each to their own, I make it fun for the kids and they learn along the way.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:49 pm

Phantom Gossiper wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

Coached plenty of young kids, i'm not saying there isnt a focus on game day for development but i've never seen it as a priority similarly to winning.
Game day in my opinion is about allowing these lesser players the opportunity to play the game and get a decent run instead of sitting them on the pine all day, and that opportunity isnt about sticking them on the field in a position where you can hide them or likely not to have massive involvement.
Build confidence in the player.

As for training, of course it can be difficult to keep 20 eight yr old kids interested, but that's a challenge of coaching and there are ways around it - smaller groups, shorter exercises, more enjoyable drills etc. Get parents involved to help.. look at AUSKICK, prime example of how you can manage large number of kids and make sure they get benefit from it.

30-30 your serve :lol:

You've coached young kids for full seasons?
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:08 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:You've coached young kids for full seasons?

Yes. Granted not aussie rules, it was rugby league but yes.
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby locky801 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:13 pm

LM is on the ball here, yes for young kids it is about them having fun and basically just picking up a footy and having a kick

Unfortunately as we have seen and heard about it is more to the parents who want young Johnny to be a star at 7 years of age.

No doubt this is why we are seeing changes.

Let the young kids get out and have fun and then slowly bring them into the basic sphere of the game each year they get older.

One would hope coaches follow this however as has been pointed out coaching courses tend to buck this trend.

Obviously a new programme for coaches from say Auskick to Under 8's maybe required.

From Under 9's up level 1 accredittation should be needed as you are starting to move the kids upwards in their development further

Just my thoughts
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3710 times
Been liked: 1170 times

Postby cracka » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:18 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:
cracka wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

No, an U/8 coach should focus on teaching the basic skills.
Fun can be had in a playground, but it is unlikely that they will learn how to kick in the process.

I said fun before setting goals not fun before teaching basic skills. Teaching the basic skills I regard as a given but maybe should have said it as well. If a modis coach cant make it fun while doing that then they are the wrong person for the job IMO.
cracka
Veteran

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League