APPS Reduction in points

Adelaide Footy League Talk

APPS Reduction in points

Postby Caramels » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:57 pm

Just heard a whisper that the CFL has or is about to implement, a reduction in the available points for clubs back from 15 to 10 in country football so how long before it happens in SAAFL?

There are some conditions that prevail with this that can be used for special circumstances but my info is this will be the catalyst for a big walkout by several Leagues from under the banner of Community Football.

Stay tuned for more info!
Caramels
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Re: APPS Reduction in points

Postby heater31 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:08 pm

Fantastic! Inflate the cash spent even more on individuals that don't deserve it :roll:
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby X Runna » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:15 pm

Caramels wrote:Just heard a whisper that the CFL has or is about to implement, a reduction in the available points for clubs back from 15 to 10 in country football so how long before it happens in SAAFL?

There are some conditions that prevail with this that can be used for special circumstances but my info is this will be the catalyst for a big walkout by several Leagues from under the banner of Community Football.

Have you thought the idea might be to stop country clubs raping metropolitan clubs? One would think if you've heard the CFL was going to lower points for country footy you would've also heard they were going to lower points in the SAAFL IF that is the intention.

I think it would also reduce the number of overpaid players.
X Runna
Reserves

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 58 times
Grassroots Team: Ingle Farm

Postby daysofourlives » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:28 pm

heater31 wrote:Fantastic! Inflate the cash spent even more on individuals that don't deserve it :roll:

How bout the CFB just F#@! off.

I hope the leagues do disaffiliate from the CFB and by extension the SANFL.
They get little or no benefits anyway. I for one hope the BL&G league go back to their import system which saw 7 of the 9 clubs win flags over a 8 year period.
In the last 7 years we have only had 2 different premiers, yawn!
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby cracka » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:39 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
heater31 wrote:Fantastic! Inflate the cash spent even more on individuals that don't deserve it :roll:

They get little or no benefits anyway. I for one hope the BL&G league go back to their import system which saw 7 of the 9 clubs win flags over a 8 year period.

What was the import system?
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 462 times
Been liked: 567 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby daysofourlives » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:21 pm

cracka wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:

Basically there was a geographical boundary drawn up around the league's area. Anyone outside that was an "Import".
Import allocation was arrived at by population of the town and performance over the previous 3 seasons.
I don't think the Gawler clubs, Tanunda or Nuri ever got an allocation for population. A typical year would see these clubs have between 1 and 3. The other 4 clubs would have say between 3 and 5.
It was strictly adhered to, or it was after South lost all their points one season in the 90's for declaring someone a local who was living outside the boundary.
A player would become a local after 5 years of continuous service.
A key component of the rule was that if a player wanted to go from one club to another within the league, the club was able to reject the clearance application. This stopped the clubs with more money poaching the best locals and imports from other clubs within the league. If you really wanted to change clubs within the league you had to go to another league for 2 years.
They are trying to replicate this with the points system with clubs being allocated either 3,6,9,12 or 15 points dependent on wins in the last 2 seasons. However there is no population levels taken into account and this is where it will never give us a level playing field.

This is my understanding of both systems, maybe others from the BL&G will correct me if i have left anything out or got anything wrong
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby FOURTH ESTATE » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:30 pm

daysofourlives wrote:

For once we agree!!!

The Nob President from the BL&G thought it was a wonderful system. Yeh his club was one of the clubs who won a string of premierships under this system.

Scrap it all together we never had a problem in the SAAFL we might have had a few clubs throw around a bit of money every now and then but they never won a premiership!!!!! If it ain't broke don't try to fix it!!!!!!!
2017, 2019 & 2020 PREMIERS
RICHMOND, RICHMOND, RICHMOND.

Let that be a lesson to you Sturt. You don't beat Glenelg 3 times in a row in Grand Finals and get away with it.
FOURTH ESTATE
Veteran

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 128 times
Grassroots Team: Broadview

Postby Jim05 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:31 pm

Your pretty spot on there Days.
The points system is a farce, I find it laughable that it goes on minor round wins.
Barossa won the flag last year and get an increase in points this year, how is making a premiership side stronger evening out the comp?
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3553 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Caramels » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:29 pm

X Runna wrote:
Caramels wrote:Just heard a whisper that the CFL has or is about to implement, a reduction in the available points for clubs back from 15 to 10 in country football so how long before it happens in SAAFL?

Have you thought the idea might be to stop country clubs raping metropolitan clubs? One would think if you've heard the CFL was going to lower points for country footy you would've also heard they were going to lower points in the SAAFL IF that is the intention.

I think it would also reduce the number of overpaid players.

I have thought many things about the APPS and Community Football, I am yet to find one positive outcome from either part.
All it has done is made the really good players more greedy than they were beforehand. It also sends the ordinary players further out to grab the coin.
I hear Mannum's spend is in excess of $200K, now that's an easy way to buy a premiership and receive a $50 Cup and $10 Pennant for the wall.
Caramels
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby cracka » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:06 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
cracka wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:

Basically there was a geographical boundary drawn up around the league's area. Anyone outside that was an "Import".
Import allocation was arrived at by population of the town and performance over the previous 3 seasons.
I don't think the Gawler clubs, Tanunda or Nuri ever got an allocation for population. A typical year would see these clubs have between 1 and 3. The other 4 clubs would have say between 3 and 5.
It was strictly adhered to, or it was after South lost all their points one season in the 90's for declaring someone a local who was living outside the boundary.
A key component of the rule was that if a player wanted to go from one club to another within the league, the club was able to reject the clearance application. This stopped the clubs with more money poaching the best locals and imports from other clubs within the league. If you really wanted to change clubs within the league you had to go to another league for 2 years.
They are trying to replicate this with the points system with clubs being allocated either 3,6,9,12 or 15 points dependent on wins in the last 2 seasons. However there is no population levels taken into account and this is where it will never give us a level playing field.

This is my understanding of both systems, maybe others from the BL&G will correct me if i have left anything out or got anything wrong

That sounds like a brilliant system. I think it might have been something like that in the HFL in the 90's as I remember Onkas lost some points one year because we played a guy who came from TTG but also played at Kersbrook (2-3 years before that) & we only got the clearance from TTG.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 462 times
Been liked: 567 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby RooShootOhh » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:37 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
cracka wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:

A couple of points, perhaps the boundary should be slightly larger than the comp...
5Years is too long, if a bloke plays 10yrs of senior footy, you ask him to spend half his 'career' there before he is a local, I think 3 years would be sufficient.

Plus nothing to say $$$ clubs can't pay rent in a local area for a new recruit to get around these boarders...

Both systems have some merit, they are just often implemented and enforced poorly
RooShootOhh
Under 16s

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 40 times
Grassroots Team: Waikerie

Postby Look Good In Leather » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:44 pm

My understanding is this change is being pushed by the representatives of the SAAFL to protect the SANFL & Amateur League from poaching by country clubs.

Word is the leagues within the Central Zone and Southern Zone are refusing to adopt it.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby daysofourlives » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:07 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:My understanding is this change is being pushed by the representatives of the SAAFL to protect the SANFL & Amateur League from poaching by country clubs.

Word is the leagues within the Central Zone and Southern Zone are refusing to adopt it.

If this goes ahead it will not be the fringe league and SAAFL players they will lose it will be the very best players.
Any country club having a decent crack at a flag would be up around 100k on players. Given that in general most pay a insignificant amount to locals it would be safe to assume for the sake of this exercise that the 100k is split between say 6 (15points) players at about 16k each. If the points goes to ten, it's only 3 players, thats 33k each to train one night a week and play 16-18 games. What SANFL league players would be on that much? UNless you think you can still get on an AFL list why would you stay at a league club.
This will shoot themselves in the foot, The SANFL are very good at that
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:14 pm

In the last 7 years we have only had 2 different premiers, yawn![/quote]
What was the import system?[/quote]

This is my understanding of both systems, maybe others from the BL&G will correct me if i have left anything out or got anything wrong[/quote]
A couple of points, perhaps the boundary should be slightly larger than the comp...
5Years is too long, if a bloke plays 10yrs of senior footy, you ask him to spend half his 'career' there before he is a local, I think 3 years would be sufficient.

Plus nothing to say $$$ clubs can't pay rent in a local area for a new recruit to get around these boarders...

Both systems have some merit, they are just often implemented and enforced poorly[/quote]

The boundary was bigger than the comp but didnt encompass any neighbouring towns.
The 5 years was the system that was in place, not agreeing or disagreeing with it.
The hardest issue to negotiate is the one you mentioned of clubs moving guys into the area.
Perhaps any new player to the town should be considered an import for one year. If they have too many imports someoine has to play b grade. There has been cases over the years of players playing b grade for 5 years as they were considered imports but not good enough to take an import position
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby countryfootyfan » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:55 pm

The YPFL had a similar system to the BLG - except to be classed as a local,the player had to play 50 games for the same club. 5 years is a bit much, but 50 games when their season is 16 games plus finals does take 3 years..
countryfootyfan
Under 18s

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 1 time

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League