New Clubs for 2017

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: New Clubs for 2017

Postby knowitall » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:38 pm

oyster wrote:
tigerpie wrote:The top 4 sfl clubs would be comfortable in div 2 and one of them would possibly win the flag.
Unless you've been to an sfl grand final you can't judge the standard.
Pretty sure southern districts has won the country championship recently which is a combination of great southern and southern players.

Just saying.

We've now established that the top 4 in the SFL are somewhere between the middle of Div 2 and the middle of Div 3, depending on how people see the games. Now we have established that, we have to work out how these clubs are going to enter the SAAFL? There would have to be a vacancy for Brighton or any SFL club to come into division 3. The league themselves might welcome Brighton with open arms, but the clubs ultimately are in charge of the league and they won't give up a spot in a higher grade if they think they've earn't it.

There is no way, that Brighton will walk into D2 or D3. The only vacant space is in D4 and that might change if both clubs in D5 decide they don't want to come up. They cant have a 12 team competition or there would be 22 games in the season. The SAAFL clubs won't just allow these SFL clubs to walk into the competition and play in the grade they want, at their clubs expense. Especially when Brighton have come and gone from the SAAFL before. There will be an enormous amount of disharmony amongst SAAFL clubs if Brighton are allowed back into D3
mate what are you on about ? The clubs told hq at the start of the year when this was raised that if new clubs come in it'll be left up to them to sort out as long as the premier get promoted. That was the only.condition put on it.
knowitall

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time

Postby Footy Chick » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:48 pm

i wonder if they didnt think we'd get 4 clubs at once though. Would be interested to see the result if they took the vote again.
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1742 times
Been liked: 2153 times

Postby knowitall » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:19 pm

Footy Chick wrote:i wonder if they didnt think we'd get 4 clubs at once though. Would be interested to see the result if they took the vote again.

are all 4 going into A3 and 4 ?
knowitall

Postby FOURTH ESTATE » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:23 pm

hollywood7477 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
godra wrote:If the talk is true, my thoughts on where clubs could fall in. This is based on seeing various SFL and SAAFL games this season.

Brighton - Div 2. Far too strong for Div 3. Premiership contender in the SFL who have beaten Flaggies this year and come close to Reynella (who did win the Country Club Championship earlier this year as another poster correctly pointed out) earlier this year, with another blockbuster rematch later this month. I could see Brighton vs SHOC/Gaza being very close games. That is on the proviso Brighton keeps their players if a change in league happens.

Morphie Parks - Personally I liken them to the strength of Edwardstown when they were in the SFL, hence would suggest Div 4. I would imagine they would win more than they lose in Div 4. But I could see others arguing for Div 5 which wouldn't be a wrong answer either. Morphie Parks have been pushed by lesser teams this year but seem to come up with a win at the end of the day.

Hackham/Marion - I feel these teams are at the same level and I would happily suggest Div 6 is appropriate for both of these teams. But if required, I don't think any team could argue acceptance into Div 7 to kick things off. Hackham face the problem of a more than long drive to many grounds which would seriously jeopardise numbers willing to play and travel that far.

I am not proclaiming to be a suburban football expert, this is just my opinion on the state of affairs based on what I have seen different sides offer at various levels of football this year. The SFL would miss Brighton if they do depart, one of the strongest clubs in the league. I can't see the SFL missing Morphie Parks, Hackham or Marion too much if they do leave however.

Pretty accurate I reckon, I know it was only a trial game but it was the last trial of the pre-season and both teams were full strength when Flaggies belted Plympton this year by 20 goals and Plympton are mid table in Div 3. Brighton should be straight to Div 2, especially as they get some Glenelg overflow.

Reynella played Broadies in a trial match. what was the result in that game????

I think we won not 100% sure I wasn't at the game this year but has always been a good hit out.

To put it in perspective twice I have had sides from outside the league join in the grade in which I was playing for Broadies at the time and it was not fun.

1988 we were promoted to A6 after winning the A7 Flag in 87.
In to A6 in 1988 from SAFA came Tea Tree Gully, Modbury. West Lakes started in A7 but were promoted to A6 after Port Adelaide United folded 3 games into the season. At the time all new clubs had to start in A6 and work their way up.

We lost to
Tea Tree Gully by 76 pts
West Lakes 1pt & 105 pts
Defeated Modbury by 5pts

Our D Grade knocked Modbury's B Grade out of in the 1st Semi Final and lost to West Lakes in the Prelim by 11pts

But back then we had a really strong dose of Ex A & B graders playing in our C & D Grade sides.

All three sides finished in the top 3 spots in both grades
TTG kicked over 30 goals a games on 5 occasions. with an average score of 158pts per game and only 41 against per game
West Lakes and Modbury were not far behind.

In 1995 we were promoted to A5 North after losing the A6 Grand Final the year before this time we were joined by Smithfield, Elizabeth & Eastern Park from the recently folded Northern Metropolitian League (CDFA)

Once again it was a scoring frenzy by the 3 A Grade sides over the rest of the competition with Smithfield averaging 159 pts per game and Elizabeth & Eastern Park scoring similar.

Smithfield scored 3 times over 30 goals a game and on another two occasions scored over 50 goals.

Just by saying these sides should start in the lowest division is not good for the other clubs around them and can be quite a negative impact on the rest of the competition. One needs to not only think what is good for their own club but what is best for the competition.

At the end of 1995 we finally saw the demise of SAFA after almost 20 years in existence. The following year we had P1, P2, P3 then A1, A2, & A3.
Imagine if Edwardstown had been put into A6 like every other club had been it would have been truly ugly. They went straight into P1 and played off in the GF that year and most of the other SAFA sides were graded according to their ability and best fit for the league.

1997 would see the league re-align itself a into D1 down as we know it today.

If anything we should learn from history and not make the mistakes of previous winter past!!!
2017, 2019 & 2020 PREMIERS
RICHMOND, RICHMOND, RICHMOND.

Let that be a lesson to you Sturt. You don't beat Glenelg 3 times in a row in Grand Finals and get away with it.
FOURTH ESTATE
Veteran

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 128 times
Grassroots Team: Broadview

Postby Dutchy » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:01 pm

Is that fair to the Div 4 teams though?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2333 times
Been liked: 3566 times

Postby oyster » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:07 pm

knowitall wrote:
oyster wrote:
tigerpie wrote:The top 4 sfl clubs would be comfortable in div 2 and one of them would possibly win the flag.
Unless you've been to an sfl grand final you can't judge the standard.
Pretty sure southern districts has won the country championship recently which is a combination of great southern and southern players.

Just saying.

We've now established that the top 4 in the SFL are somewhere between the middle of Div 2 and the middle of Div 3, depending on how people see the games. Now we have established that, we have to work out how these clubs are going to enter the SAAFL? There would have to be a vacancy for Brighton or any SFL club to come into division 3. The league themselves might welcome Brighton with open arms, but the clubs ultimately are in charge of the league and they won't give up a spot in a higher grade if they think they've earn't it.

There is no way, that Brighton will walk into D2 or D3. The only vacant space is in D4 and that might change if both clubs in D5 decide they don't want to come up. They cant have a 12 team competition or there would be 22 games in the season. The SAAFL clubs won't just allow these SFL clubs to walk into the competition and play in the grade they want, at their clubs expense. Especially when Brighton have come and gone from the SAAFL before. There will be an enormous amount of disharmony amongst SAAFL clubs if Brighton are allowed back into D3
mate what are you on about ? The clubs told hq at the start of the year when this was raised that if new clubs come in it'll be left up to them to sort out as long as the premier get promoted. That was the only.condition put on it.

I'd dare those in the ivory tower to try and put 4 new sides into D3 or D4 and not promote one of the two clubs who HAD earn't promotion, from the grade below. Won't happen as they don't have the ticker and I don't believe even they are that stupid. Thats what I'm talking about champ
oyster
Rookie

Been liked: 20 times

Postby knowitall » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:57 pm

oyster wrote:I'd dare those in the ivory tower to try and put 4 new sides into D3 or D4 and not promote one of the two clubs who HAD earn't promotion, from the grade below. Won't happen as they don't have the ticker and I don't believe even they are that stupid. Thats what I'm talking about champ
I'm missing something. Who are the 4 teams going into division 3 or 4 ?
knowitall

Postby marbles » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:00 am

How many clubs came in after SAFA collapsed in 90s

Could something radical be done create a div 2 of 2 sectors and in 2018 the top 4 from both divs form a permant div 2 along with the 2 div 1 teams relegated

Or some shit like that
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 259 times

Postby oyster » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:13 am

knowitall wrote:
oyster wrote:I'd dare those in the ivory tower to try and put 4 new sides into D3 or D4 and not promote one of the two clubs who HAD earn't promotion, from the grade below. Won't happen as they don't have the ticker and I don't believe even they are that stupid. Thats what I'm talking about champ

Doesn't really mater champ. If it's 1 team, 2 teams or 4 teams the same processes should be in place. Those who have been playing in the SAAFL as loyal clubs for years and years, should not be overlooked for sides coming from outside of the league unless one of the those clubs "entirely of their choice elect not to come up". Brighton have been in the SAAFL and elected to leave before, so they should be given no free ride back at the expense of a loyal club who has elected to remain a part of the SAAFL over the years. That means the top two clubs are promoted (grand finalists) and the bottom two clubs are relegated, as per the rules. A vacancy should only happen if one club elects to not come up or a team such as Para Hills folds (as per this years vacancy). You can't penalise a club who comes second in D3 or D4, and not promote them in place of Brighton, or any other SFL club. WRONG THING TO DO and sending the wrong message to loyal clubs, that you can leave and come back whenever you feel like it, and just drop into whatever grade you wish.
oyster
Rookie

Postby knowitall » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:33 am

oyster wrote:
knowitall wrote:

Doesn't really mater champ. If it's 1 team, 2 teams or 4 teams the same processes should be in place. Those who have been playing in the SAAFL as loyal clubs for years and years, should not be overlooked for sides coming from outside of the league unless one of the those clubs "entirely of their choice elect not to come up". Brighton have been in the SAAFL and elected to leave before, so they should be given no free ride back at the expense of a loyal club who has elected to remain a part of the SAAFL over the years. That means the top two clubs are promoted (grand finalists) and the bottom two clubs are relegated, as per the rules. A vacancy should only happen if one club elects to not come up or a team such as Para Hills folds (as per this years vacancy). You can't penalise a club who comes second in D3 or D4, and not promote them in place of Brighton, or any other SFL club. WRONG THING TO DO and sending the wrong message to loyal clubs, that you can leave and come back whenever you feel like it, and just drop into whatever grade you wish.

Hey champ. Which bit dont you understand about we (the clubs) told them (the ivory tower) at the start of the year that they could bring teams in as long as at least the premier gets promoted.
knowitall

Postby oyster » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:50 am

[vine]@
[flash=][url][img][*][list=]
    Code: Select all
    [quote][u][i][b][/b][/i][/u][/quote]
[/list][/img][/url][/flash]
[/vine]
knowitall wrote:
oyster wrote:
knowitall wrote:

Hey champ. Which bit dont you understand about we (the clubs) told them (the ivory tower) at the start of the year that they could bring teams in as long as at least the premier gets promoted.

Why did you float the story here in the first place then legend? If you already knew the answer legend, then why the need to tell us before you implemented your plan? Normally you float a story to read what people say, but you seemingly don't want differing answers to what you want in the first place. Seems pointless to have used this forum for your charade. Next time why go through the charade of floating your ideas, if you really don't want to hear answers you don't like, ol' legend in your own lunch hour :D :D
Last edited by oyster on Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:42 am, edited 4 times in total.
oyster
Rookie

Postby marbles » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:53 am

Merge div 3 and div 4 + brighton = 20 clubs

Have 2 sectors s1 and s2

S1 has all the odds 1st 3rd 5th 7th 9th (from div 3) + 1st 3rd 5th 7th 9th (from div 4)

S2 is all the evens + brighton

S1 & S2 premier goes up to div 2 in 2018

2018 div 3 is then made up of remaining top 4 from both S1 & S2 + The bottom 2 clubs relegated from div 2 in 2017

The rest of the clubs who didnt make finals in Sector 1 & sector 2 in 2017 then go on to form div 4 in 2018 lol

But god knows what the 2017 div 5 grand finalists do. Maybe sector 1 & 2 wooden spooners go to div 5 in 2018
marbles
Assistant Coach

Postby FOURTH ESTATE » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:29 am

oyster wrote:
knowitall wrote:

Okay Oyster, what grade would you put the new clubs into???????
2017, 2019 & 2020 PREMIERS
RICHMOND, RICHMOND, RICHMOND.

Let that be a lesson to you Sturt. You don't beat Glenelg 3 times in a row in Grand Finals and get away with it.
FOURTH ESTATE
Veteran

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 128 times
Grassroots Team: Broadview

Postby Fricky » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:43 am

marbles wrote:How many clubs came in after SAFA collapsed in 90s

Could something radical be done create a div 2 of 2 sectors and in 2018 the top 4 from both divs form a permant div 2 along with the 2 div 1 teams relegated

Or some shit like that

We came back to SAAFL in 1990 after 10 years in the SAFA. Started in Div 6 and went up 4 grades in 4 years.
Fricky
League - Best 21

Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 120 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

Postby The Bedge » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:13 am

marbles wrote:Merge div 3 and div 4 + brighton = 20 clubs

Have 2 sectors s1 and s2

S1 has all the odds 1st 3rd 5th 7th 9th (from div 3) + 1st 3rd 5th 7th 9th (from div 4)

2018 div 3 is then made up of remaining top 4 from both S1 & S2 + The bottom 2 clubs relegated from div 2 in 2017

The rest of the clubs who didnt make finals in Sector 1 & sector 2 in 2017 then go on to form div 4 in 2018 lol

But god knows what the 2017 div 5 grand finalists do. Maybe sector 1 & 2 wooden spooners go to div 5 in 2018

In a weird way, this could work..
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3196 times
Been liked: 4035 times

Postby Minion Master » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:15 am

will be hard what ever the decision but why should they come in at a lower grade and potentially dominate winning easy flags going up the ranks, an assessment should be done as far as reasonably practicable now while their playing to see what grade they realistically should slot in and then maybe they go a grade higher, if they struggle they get relegated if not then they are in the correct grade.
May give loyal saafl sides that are continually struggling finishing 8th a chance to go down a grade, regroup and then come back up with momentum.
Div 4 seems to be the guinea pig grade being middle of the road why should existing sides be disadvantaged by potentially better sides being placed there dominating for the season. As every knows premiership windows are often very small and existing sides that have worked hard to get there may miss their opportunity for glory because of it.
Minion Master
Rookie

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 24 times
Grassroots Team: Broughton-Mundoora

Postby marbles » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:20 am

Zartan wrote:
marbles wrote:Merge div 3 and div 4 + brighton = 20 clubs

Have 2 sectors s1 and s2

In a weird way, this could work..

All 20 clubs would be given a chance to jump into div 2 in 2018 they just have to win the flag in S1 or S2

That would include lockleys and hectorville if they make the div 5 granny this year, theyll even go up to hav a crack at possibly being in div 2 by 2018 lol

If u make the finals in S1 S2 2017 your a div 3 club in 2018
marbles
Assistant Coach

Postby morell » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:45 am

You're going to disappoint some people, no matter what, but I'd say most footballers would prefer to miss out on promotion after finishing second than miss out on winning a flag because a team was graded incorrectly.

Lesser of two evils, so to speak.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1143 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby Fricky » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:07 am

Minion Master wrote:will be hard what ever the decision but why should they come in at a lower grade and potentially dominate winning easy flags going up the ranks, an assessment should be done as far as reasonably practicable now while their playing to see what grade they realistically should slot in and then maybe they go a grade higher, if they struggle they get relegated if not then they are in the correct grade.
May give loyal saafl sides that are continually struggling finishing 8th a chance to go down a grade, regroup and then come back up with momentum.
Div 4 seems to be the guinea pig grade being middle of the road why should existing sides be disadvantaged by potentially better sides being placed there dominating for the season. As every knows premiership windows are often very small and existing sides that have worked hard to get there may miss their opportunity for glory because of it.

SAAFL HQ will look at where Edwardstown finish this year and where the SFL teams finish in their league to gain some kind of idea about the where to put any other SFL teams coming in. Brighton are a far better side than Towns and it would be stupid to put them in Div 4 or lower. The other clubs (whispers being Marion, Morphy Park or Hackham) might be at a standard where they can slot into a lower div. Here's the current SFL ladder
1 Flagstaff Hill 20
2 Brighton Bombers 20
3 Morphett Vale 20
4 Reynella 18
5 Noarlunga 17
6 Port Noarlunga 17
7 Morphettville Park 14
8 Christies Beach 10
9 Cove 10
10 Happy Valley 10
11 Aldinga 6
12 OSB/Lonsdale 4
13 Hackham 2
14 Marion 0
Towns finished 8th last season
Fricky
League - Best 21

Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 120 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

Postby Pag » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:40 am

Suri wrote:
Minion Master wrote:will be hard what ever the decision but why should they come in at a lower grade and potentially dominate winning easy flags going up the ranks, an assessment should be done as far as reasonably practicable now while their playing to see what grade they realistically should slot in and then maybe they go a grade higher, if they struggle they get relegated if not then they are in the correct grade.

SAAFL HQ will look at where Edwardstown finish this year and where the SFL teams finish in their league to gain some kind of idea about the where to put any other SFL teams coming in. Brighton are a far better side than Towns and it would be stupid to put them in Div 4 or lower. The other clubs (whispers being Marion, Morphy Park or Hackham) might be at a standard where they can slot into a lower div. Here's the current SFL ladder
1 Flagstaff Hill 20
2 Brighton Bombers 20
3 Morphett Vale 20
4 Reynella 18
5 Noarlunga 17
6 Port Noarlunga 17
7 Morphettville Park 14
8 Christies Beach 10
9 Cove 10
10 Happy Valley 10
11 Aldinga 6
12 OSB/Lonsdale 4
13 Hackham 2
14 Marion 0
Towns finished 8th last season

Says D2, or D3 at the lowest to me. The league have contacts all over the place, from what I was made aware Towns asked for D3 last year, the league then talked to some people with some knowledge down south and chose to grade them in D4. Accurate call I reckon.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 499 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League