Mass debate with Morell

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: Morells Soapbox/ Morells Myths

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:04 pm

jo172 wrote:Shame, I'd like to hear @morell's thoughts on the Adam Goodes situation.

Do you have some kind of newsletter I could subscribe to?

Hey Digby, jo wants your phone number!!!1
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4348 times
Been liked: 7942 times

Re: Mass debate with Morell

Postby Q. » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:08 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:I'm about to go mental with my ban stick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Careful mate, imaginary weapons are quite a threat to peoples' safety these days...
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Arch44 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:22 pm

Footy Chick wrote:He can go to the AFL thread and fight with Wedgie if he wants to do that.

It has nothing to do with SAAFL football so it stays out of here.

End of subject.

I really want to BOOOOOO this.
Hogg Shield Div IV 2018 Winner
Arch44
League - Top 5

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 275 times

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 5 - 2015

Postby Jetters » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:06 pm

morell wrote:
Q. wrote:Your points are valid to the population as a whole (in both my claims I fully expected to be shafted btw), but for footballers who are at higher risk of injury and lost income, the ledger may be a little more squarer.
Yeah it can work at that level I think, like the US System, where it's a bit like a super payment, the employer organises it at their expense and it's considered a benefit of working for (or playing for) that organisation.

Hence my comment about insurance being the new competitive paradigm for amatuer football clubs.

As an aside, Insurance can work, but IMO the profit being generated should be solely generated from the investment stream, not the premium. The premium should only ever be equal to the incurred loss - otherwise it's an inherently unfair and unbalanced business model.

Profit (P) = earned premium (ep) + investment income (ii) – incurred loss (il) – underwriting expenses (ue)

P = (ep + ii) - (il + ue)

ep = il (or at least it should be, all things being fair)

Therefore

P = ii - ue

Or, in simple terms, the profit an insurance company should be able to make, should only be equal to the money they can generate by investing the premiums of the members. Like any trust fund really.

$1 doesn't always = $1, your arguments treat humans like robots.
Jetters
Reserves

Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 119 times
Grassroots Team: Unley

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 5 - 2015

Postby Look Good In Leather » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:08 pm

morell wrote:I love people with that attitude: "but insurance is great, I don't pay a cent for my <insert medical service>". Yes. You do. You pay a monthly fee. A monthly fee which would be contractually obligated to add up to MORE than the cost of the services you used.

Take all your insurance costs, put them into an untouchable bank account for a couple of years, apply interest. Profit.

But, if a club can incur those insurance costs on your behalf*, then yeah, I think that's an attractive proposition for players.

* or maybe if the club was smart, put those insurance costs into an interest bearing account and us that instead.

Very basic understanding of insurance.
Insurance in it's simplest form is just paying someone to take on your risk, it is the level of risk that makes it more complex.

What you are saying about a club acting as an insurer would be foolish, they would be taking the gamble that they did not encounter a large number of injuries and having to pay out more than they have in their fund. This is why insurers take out re-insurance (ie they take out insurance at differing bands at a wholesale rate). There is a lot of risks involved in insurance which is why actuaries exist, I doubt a local football club would be able to build enough reserves at a rate that is cost effective.

I have a rule that I only insure my own risks, football clubs should apply the same rule. Public Liability is a club's risk, players' incomes are not.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby morell » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:28 pm

I meant the club would take out a policy and pay the premiums, not actually underwrite it.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1143 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby morell » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:29 pm

@jo172 I've posted in the Goodes thread! :lol:

It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be actually. Lots of quality posts and posters in there.
morell
Coach

Postby Look Good In Leather » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:01 am

morell wrote:I meant the club would take out a policy and pay the premiums, not actually underwrite it.

You were talking about placing the amount that would have been paid in premiums into an account and making money off the interest.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby morell » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:53 am

It’s the same principle, just a higher risk and therefore a requirement for a larger amount of capital. At a practical level, I agree, it would be hard to implement for anyone but the biggest clubs.

But it would still be an exceedingly interesting exercise* to add up the premiums a club would pay to insurance companies and analyse the savings it makes when they claim.

Over time, and granted, that might be a long-ish time, I maintain the overall point that financially, that club would be better off investing that money instead.

*If we worked it through with the Mitchell Park Sporting Club - from memory our annual insurance bills are about $16k a year. That’s NOT PL or PI, that’s simple stuff I think, like building and contents etc. We have made a couple of claims for broken windows and the like, but nothing major to the best of my knowledge.

Over 4 years we might have “saved” $5k a year by having an insurance policy - this is a gut feel. Over 4 years, with a stock standard 6.25% term deposit from Bank SA, starting with the $16k worth of premiums we would earn $4.5k in interest if we didn’t touch it for a total of $21.5k, take out the $5k worth of things we would normally claim for and that’s still $11k and $3k interest for a total of $14k at the end of the year…

So with insurance, we’ve spent $16k to save $5k for a total of minus $11k. Without insurance (but with the capital) we’ve spent a total of $5k but ended up with a positive $14k balance at the end of the year.

How many years would it take until the “risk” the insurance companies are supposedly covering is completely mitigated? If we roll that $14k each year and reinvested the $16k worth of premiums again, it starts to add up very, very quickly - and this is without being too clever with other investment options - it’s just a bank account.

The problem is if you get a major disaster before your capital is mature - but my argument against that is:

This
This
This

Or, in other words, when a major disaster occurs, insurance companies don’t really want to pay for it either and will do mostly anything to get out of it, so your risk isn’t covered anyway! And therein lies the problem, any insurance business model isn't mutually beneficial. Someone is losing and when the pockets of the insurance company are naturally much deeper, they're not often on the losing side.

Might as well look after yourself IMO.
morell
Coach

Postby Q. » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:30 pm

6.25% cash rate?

It's not 2005 buddy.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby morell » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:54 pm

I used the standard Bank SA Fixed Term Deposit calculator...

https://www.banksa.com.au/personal/bank ... rm-deposit

... but it's kind of a moot point - unless the rate is negative, you're still better off even if its 1%. With a lower rate it might take 10 years instead of 8 before the tipping point is reached and your risk is mitigated.
morell
Coach

Postby Look Good In Leather » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:13 pm

morell wrote:The problem is if you get a major disaster before your capital is mature

How much would it cost you to rebuild the clubrooms/changerooms in the case of a fire?
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby morell » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:36 pm

Owned by council. So it would be their problem I'd suggest. We're only responsible for the maintenance I think...

Even then, add up the Council's premiums, and the exact same argument could be made.

It's just math, man. The scale is the thing that changes. The fundamental business model behind insurance is inherently unfair.
morell
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:41 pm

morell wrote:Owned by council. So it would be their problem I'd suggest. We're only responsible for the maintenance I think...

Even then, add up the Council's premiums, and the exact same argument could be made.

It's just math, man. The scale is the thing that changes. The fundamental business model behind insurance is inherently unfair.

American?
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby morell » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:51 pm

Math is American?? We had better tell the Arabs
morell
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:53 pm

morell wrote:Math is American?? We had better tell the Arabs

It was always pluralized during my schooling.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Look Good In Leather » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:41 pm

morell wrote:Owned by council. So it would be their problem I'd suggest. We're only responsible for the maintenance I think...

Why would you be paying Building & Contents then, surely just contents
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby morell » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:59 pm

Sorry, I think it's just contents, yeah. I'd have to double check....
morell
Coach

Postby Look Good In Leather » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:52 pm

morell wrote:Sorry, I think it's just contents, yeah. I'd have to double check....

In that case you might have a point
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby Jimmy_041 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:33 pm

The current AFL insurance scheme for community football is self insured through a Managed Investment Scheme as a discretionary trust to do exactly as you suggest Morrell. You are obviously a pioneering man both way ahead of most, but way behind others

https://afl.jltsport.com.au/products_pi.aspx
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 726 times
Been liked: 1080 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League