Brighton to join SAAFL Div 3 2013

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: Brighton to join SAAFL Div 3 2013

Postby Yardy Lard » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:14 pm

marbles wrote:if West Adelaide Bloods said they are sick of playing in SANFL and want to join SAAFL amatuer league should they be made to play in Div 7 lol

Idiotic comment Marbles, as you know that would never happen as does everyone else. Good way of giving yourself some attention though, but hopefully most would just give the comment the contempt it deserves. Your clubs plays in D1 anyway and are currently the best in the business and a great club, but the lower grade team squeals like stuffed pigs every time when they are admitted to D6, so should not be of any great concern.
Yardy Lard
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby FOURTH ESTATE » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:22 pm

Lest start thinking logically about this,

It would be good for the league if it was able to pick up a Brighton, Marion & Morphettville Park. all surrounded by SAAFL clubs and would also bolster the the junior leagues in the area who are struggling for numbers.

You could not let them into D6 or D7. I remember when Tea Tree Gully, Modbury & West Lakes joined the SAAFL in 1988 We had just been promoted from A7 after winning that grade in 1987.
They thumped every side by plenty but our c grade caused a boil over when we beat Modbury on our own deck. Funny thou as a C & D grade teams we got to play West Lakes & Tea Tree Gully once while other A & B Grade sides in the comp only played them once.

If they did join it would have to be in D3 at least or it would be a very lopsided comp and the beltings that you have in the SFL would continue in the SAAFL and I'm sure that no club would want that to happen to them in those grades. I know we didn't enjoy it in 1988 getting the crap kicked out of us by those sides. TTG & Modbury kept going up the grades each year. By 1992 TTG was in A2 and Modbury the year after.
We know the SFL has problems as they are slow to act on a 2 tier comp but it is embarrsing to see those score every week in metro footy. You would expect that in Country footy not in the city.

If a Brighton did come in at least they have decent facilities and set up. It might be a ploy to force the hand of the SFL on the issue but can we ignore the chance to add an established team from the Southern side of the city who in turn might bring others into the fold which is not a bad thing??? I say bring them in. Get one and the rest may follow!!!
2017, 2019 & 2020 PREMIERS
RICHMOND, RICHMOND, RICHMOND.

Let that be a lesson to you Sturt. You don't beat Glenelg 3 times in a row in Grand Finals and get away with it.
FOURTH ESTATE
Veteran

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 128 times
Grassroots Team: Broadview

Postby marbles » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:26 pm

Yardy Lard wrote:
marbles wrote:if West Adelaide Bloods said they are sick of playing in SANFL and want to join SAAFL amatuer league should they be made to play in Div 7 lol

Idiotic comment Marbles, as you know that would never happen as does everyone else. Good way of giving yourself some attention though, but hopefully most would just give the comment the contempt it deserves. Your clubs plays in D1 anyway and are currently the best in the business and a great club, but the lower grade team squeals like stuffed pigs every time when they are admitted to D6, so should not be of any great concern.

err dude u obviously dont have the depth or the humour to recognise the precendence of an established club in a rival competition. My far out comment highlights that a club of high calibre deserves some kind of ranking and if it cant make it in div 3, the results will speak for itself and they will relegate down the div's anyway. More or less what a great achievement it would be for the league to attract such a great club

rather being unable to to comprehend my metaphoric example, youve taken a swipe at my own club which is totally irrelevant in this discussion

talk to the hand buddy, people are currently laughing at your incompetence, not mine
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 259 times

Postby marbles » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:41 pm

A comment in next years Div 7 forum...

Round 8 2013

Brighton 35.17 defeated Tea Tree Gully 3.2

"geeze whyd the SAAFL put em in our div, it was like our C-Grade playing against our A-Grade. Theyre just gonna bring misery & pump everyone until they get reach div 3 or 4 where the saafl should have put them in the first place. All the more misery for us"
marbles
Assistant Coach

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:51 pm

Yardy I'm not saying you are wrong but this is one of South Australia's biggest football club not a pissy little suburban club who fills 2 sides. They would have to lose their best 30 players to come back to standard with the ammos lower leagues.
I reckon this has more merrit that most give credit for. You don't hold meetings such as this then tell people we don't know the scenario if we join the SAAFL. Unlike Edwardstown many of the Brighton faithful would already know what the Amateurs are like.
Do Glenelg and West Adelaide want their fringe players potentially playing against Aldinga, Lonsdale ect who are @ best are lower div 6 standard?

This is the slow death of the SFL.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 747 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Yardy Lard » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:22 pm

LaughingKookaburra wrote:Yardy I'm not saying you are wrong but this is one of South Australia's biggest football club not a pissy little suburban club who fills 2 sides. They would have to lose their best 30 players to come back to standard with the ammos lower leagues.
I reckon this has more merrit that most give credit for. You don't hold meetings such as this then tell people we don't know the scenario if we join the SAAFL. Unlike Edwardstown many of the Brighton faithful would already know what the Amateurs are like.
Do Glenelg and West Adelaide want their fringe players potentially playing against Aldinga, Lonsdale ect who are @ best are lower div 6 standard?

Agreed. I do know of Brighton and have been there. I know a little of their strength in the SFL. I agree entirely that the SFL is a piss ant little league, as opposed to the SAAFL. Much like the Barossa League, they do many things extremely well though, such as run Grand Finals and similar events, I agree entirely that any of the clubs from the SFL or any other league, should be admitted back into the SAAFL if they want, BUT I do worry about a president being set and even in this isolated case, for one club to move back into the D3 competition. There are a host of clubs in D4, D5, D6, D7 who have to earn their way through to higher grades, by hard work and playing in grand finals. Earning the right through to a higher grade as opposed to a FREE meal ticket back to D3 is IMO the only way back. They (admittedly under a different administration) decided to leave the SAAFL before, for greener pastures, so why should the clubs like Golden Grove, Salisbury, Brahma Lodge, Hope Valley, Mawson Lakes etc, etc, etc, etc, all have had to work their collective arses off to move through the grades due to performances. Would feel for those in those clubs who have been doing all the right things over the years in their quest to play in higher grades. Can understand how these clubs and many others would all be highly annoyed at another club from another association shooting past them, because of their strength in another competition or because they simply want to come back to the SAAFL because it now suits them. By all means let the SAAFL meet and greet Brighton, but coming back to D3 IMO is just not on and far too high a grade and clubs below them, who rightly are only interested in their own situation and what happens within their own walls. would be seriously pissed off. That is my opinion and won't be swayed otherwise and would feel for the clubs who are left in the lower grades, if this ever occurred. Clubs have long earned the right of passage through to higher grades. Disregarding if it is Brighton or any other club, they should have earned it, as per every other club in the SAAFL. Clubs like Adelaide University have fallen in D2 from D1 after nearly 100 years of competition, but they have had to earn the rights back to D1 and won't be given a FREE passage back. It is a matter of principal and not the club or clubs, and not how many sides they have or how much money they have.
Yardy Lard
Under 16s

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:50 pm

In my opinion and that only if you admit Brighton then within 5 years half of the SFL will see that option and think why not?
SFL clubs will split 3 ways to Hills, GSFL and SAAFL and because the SFL were in hindsight pig headed in thinking a 15 team 1 division comp would work and the lower clubs will just have to work harder. The AFL couldn't get a comp with 1 more side working without financial bailouts.
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Postby Yardy Lard » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:57 pm

LaughingKookaburra wrote:In my opinion and that only if you admit Brighton then within 5 years half of the SFL will see that option and think why not?
SFL clubs will split 3 ways to Hills, GSFL and SAAFL and because the SFL were in hindsight pig headed in thinking a 15 team 1 division comp would work and the lower clubs will just have to work harder. The AFL couldn't get a comp with 1 more side working without financial bailouts.

So then what? - do you put them all back in D3? - Would set a dangerous principal and then those clubs would also want to come back in a division that suits them. You don't let sides back in just to get the other sides from the SFL back into the SAAFL. It has to be done for the right reasons and this if it is a reason, it certainly is not right and would go against what is right and wrong for admitting clubs back into the SAAFL. My argument is based on principal and nothing else and thats it for me. Had my two bobs worth for the time being, but won't be swayed otherwise.
Yardy Lard
Under 16s

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:01 pm

Yardy Lard wrote:
LaughingKookaburra wrote:Yardy I'm not saying you are wrong but this is one of South Australia's biggest football club not a pissy little suburban club who fills 2 sides. They would have to lose their best 30 players to come back to standard with the ammos lower leagues.

Agreed. I do know of Brighton and have been there. I know a little of their strength in the SFL. I agree entirely that the SFL is a piss ant little league, as opposed to the SAAFL. Much like the Barossa League, they do many things extremely well though, such as run Grand Finals and similar events, I agree entirely that any of the clubs from the SFL or any other league, should be admitted back into the SAAFL if they want, BUT I do worry about a president being set and even in this isolated case, for one club to move back into the D3 competition. There are a host of clubs in D4, D5, D6, D7 who have to earn their way through to higher grades, by hard work and playing in grand finals. Earning the right through to a higher grade as opposed to a FREE meal ticket back to D3 is IMO the only way back. They (admittedly under a different administration) decided to leave the SAAFL before, for greener pastures, so why should the clubs like Golden Grove, Salisbury, Brahma Lodge, Hope Valley, Mawson Lakes etc, etc, etc, etc, all have had to work their collective arses off to move through the grades due to performances. Would feel for those in those clubs who have been doing all the right things over the years in their quest to play in higher grades. Can understand how these clubs and many others would all be highly annoyed at another club from another association shooting past them, because of their strength in another competition or because they simply want to come back to the SAAFL because it now suits them. By all means let the SAAFL meet and greet Brighton, but coming back to D3 IMO is just not on and far too high a grade and clubs below them, who rightly are only interested in their own situation and what happens within their own walls. would be seriously pissed off. That is my opinion and won't be swayed otherwise and would feel for the clubs who are left in the lower grades, if this ever occurred. Clubs have long earned the right of passage through to higher grades. Disregarding if it is Brighton or any other club, they should have earned it, as per every other club in the SAAFL. Clubs like Adelaide University have fallen in D2 from D1 after nearly 100 years of competition, but they have had to earn the rights back to D1 and won't be given a FREE passage back. It is a matter of principal and not the club or clubs, and not how many sides they have or how much money they have.

Maybe ask those clubs mentioned if they'd be happy to have Brighton start in their div? If no then why have them start against far weaker opposition? I think having Brighton in div 3 is the right thing in this scenario. However if it was my choice for the good of the SFL I don't agree with accepting them.
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Postby Footy Chick » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:06 pm

Yardy Lard wrote:
LaughingKookaburra wrote:In my opinion and that only if you admit Brighton then within 5 years half of the SFL will see that option and think why not?

So then what? - do you put them all back in D3? - Would set a dangerous principal and then those clubs would also want to come back in a division that suits them. You don't let sides back in just to get the other sides from the SFL back into the SAAFL. It has to be done for the right reasons and this if it is a reason, it certainly is not right and would go against what is right and wrong for admitting clubs back into the SAAFL. My argument is based on principal and nothing else and thats it for me. Had my two bobs worth for the time being, but won't be swayed otherwise.

No, not if they all came in at the same time... the league would probably consider a P1 grade just like they did when all the SAFA teams came back
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1744 times
Been liked: 2153 times

Postby marbles » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:22 pm

Footy Chick wrote:
Yardy Lard wrote:

No, not if they all came in at the same time... the league would probably consider a P1 grade just like they did when all the SAFA teams came back

Hahar so thats what P1 was about. Could you or someone elaborate how that worked and how it was structured? Was it 1997? Or was it multiple years?

could be helpful for the sake of this discussion... sharks were in it i believe?
marbles
Assistant Coach

Postby Footy Chick » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:00 pm

To be honest all I know about it, is that the league created a Premier League in 1996 and I think it had 3 divisions. P1 consisted of x amount of A1 clubs and Edwardstown ( I think), then P2 had the top x amount of A2 clubs and PNU, Athelstone, Pooraka and a couple of other clubs from SAFA (Plympton may have been in there too) and P3 was made of the best of possibly the A3 clubs and a couple of SAFA teams.

I think it was after that year that the competition was re-graded to the D1,D2 etc... we know of now.

How exactly the divs ended up being spread out after that first initial year though is unknown to me. I actually think I read somewhere that the Premier division was set up as a semi professional setup which is why all of the SAFA teams were in there.

Sorry, that's about all I know off the top of my head. Fourth Estate would be the bloke who can shed more light on it all - and I hope this post hasnt been a case of "fractured fairytales" :lol:

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Postby Executive Member » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:10 pm

Footy Chick wrote:To be honest all I know about it, is that the league created a Premier League in 1996 and I think it had 3 divisions. P1 consisted of x amount of A1 clubs and Edwardstown ( I think), then P2 had the top x amount of A2 clubs and PNU, Athelstone, Pooraka and a couple of other clubs from SAFA (Plympton may have been in there too) and P3 was made of the best of possibly the A3 clubs and a couple of SAFA teams.

I think it was after that year that the competition was re-graded to the D1,D2 etc... we know of now.

How exactly the divs ended up being spread out after that first initial year though is unknown to me. I actually think I read somewhere that the Premier division was set up as a semi professional setup which is why all of the SAFA teams were in there.

Sorry, that's about all I know off the top of my head. Fourth Estate would be the bloke who can shed more light on it all - and I hope this post hasnt been a case of "fractured fairytales" :lol:

More like the brothers Grim
Executive Member
Veteran

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 140 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:23 pm

Here's the history lesson FC: http://www.saafl.asn.au/History_1996
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 726 times
Been liked: 1082 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Footy Chick » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:26 pm

Hey, I was pretty close! :lol:

At least I had a crack at it (and I can tell you I've lost a shiteload of brain cells between then and now) instead of googling and posting a link you lazy bastard :lol:
Footy Chick

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:04 pm

I say if they want in let them and put them in div 3. The benefits are just as great.
People need to stop looking at principals etc and realise that the SAAFL is a business, and must do what is in the best interests of the business.

On top of that, the argument seems to come back to the clubs that have earmt promotion being shafted, what about the teams getting relegated? This is an opportunity to avoid that and have another crack in the div to prove themselves.

Also I don't see how the would affect all divs, surely it would be:
Div 1 - two sides relegated, two promoted
Div 2 - 1 side relegated, 1 promoted
Div 3 - 2 sides relegated, 1 promoted
Div 4/5/6/7/8 - 2 relegated, 2 promoted

Lastly what about sides that DON'T want to move up? I'm obviously referring to lower grades, but several occasions over the past few years have seen clubs exercise the right to turn down promotion.

No one will even care after a couple of seasons especially if they fall down the grades or stall in div 3, but I'm sure if put in a low grade you will hear bitching and complaining every year until they get where they belong
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby Footy Chick » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:08 pm

Cool, where do the div 1 sides get promoted to PG? ;)

Footy Chick

Postby Yank Man » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:17 pm

Footy Chick wrote:Cool, where do the div 1 sides get promoted to PG? ;)

Read into it what you like guys, the fact IMO remains, Brighton are just pushing for SFL to split their comp into Div 1 and Div 2 and they have pushed that barrow for a while now. No other agenda from the Bombers, because the SFL is run by the "OLD" powerhouses and they ain't one of them. All smoke and mirrors . :lol:
Last edited by Yank Man on Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 323 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

Postby marbles » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:18 pm

yep adelaide uni loses grand final and has to stay down another year bahahahahahah
marbles
Assistant Coach

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:18 pm

Footy Chick wrote:Cool, where do the div 1 sides get promoted to PG? ;)

I meant two from div 2 promoted to 1 and two relegated down..

I'm sure you knew what I meant :p
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 285 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League