SAAFL Division 8 2014

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Who will win the Division 8 Grand FInal?

Blackwood
26%
Golden Grove
24%
Hope Valley
9%
North Haven
6%
Old Ignatians
No votes
Prince Alfred OC
12%
Payneham-Norwood Union
12%
Salisbury
3%
Tea Tree Gully
6%
Wingfield Royals
3%

Total votes : 34

Re: SAAFL Division 8 2014

Postby Trader » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:40 am

TEX07 wrote:As I said I feel for your C grade guys because they are the ones doing it tough - I would guess thier coach is doing the ring around each Thursday night to get enough guys to fill that side - do you guys pick your D grade first???

We could go on and on about this but its a decision your club has made and fair play to you - nothing outside the rules at all. I said it in earlier posts it is also a decision that could hurt you, pretty sure (but could definately be wrong) but guys who play B grade will not be allowed to drop back 2 grades in finals to play D grade if they happen to miss out on finals - I notived you had guys double up and play C grade on the weekend so numbers may be an issue at present?? I noticed FC said that she had a lot of injuries in the A and B grade to attend to on the weekend - are any of your D grade guys going to push up and cover these injuries because from what I saw there isnt many in the C grade that would be able to. Having A, B and D grade in the finals will hurt the bottom side and I wouldnt want to go into a finals game against the likes of PAC without a full bench because those guys will run you off your feet.

Don't worry Tex, HV are happy to play with 18 in the D's. Anyone outside their top dozen or so are just space fillers anyway.

With Jones feeding the likes of Schreier, Kuhar, and Fowler in the middle who then deliver to Steele and Aldenhoven, they'll be fine. Throw in Clay, Hellmanns, Robinson and Scott and I'm sure their sandbagging will pay off.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 61 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby jo172 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:44 am

Trader wrote:
TEX07 wrote:As I said I feel for your C grade guys because they are the ones doing it tough - I would guess thier coach is doing the ring around each Thursday night to get enough guys to fill that side - do you guys pick your D grade first???

We could go on and on about this but its a decision your club has made and fair play to you - nothing outside the rules at all. I said it in earlier posts it is also a decision that could hurt you, pretty sure (but could definately be wrong) but guys who play B grade will not be allowed to drop back 2 grades in finals to play D grade if they happen to miss out on finals - I notived you had guys double up and play C grade on the weekend so numbers may be an issue at present?? I noticed FC said that she had a lot of injuries in the A and B grade to attend to on the weekend - are any of your D grade guys going to push up and cover these injuries because from what I saw there isnt many in the C grade that would be able to. Having A, B and D grade in the finals will hurt the bottom side and I wouldnt want to go into a finals game against the likes of PAC without a full bench because those guys will run you off your feet.

Don't worry Tex, HV are happy to play with 18 in the D's. Anyone outside their top dozen or so are just space fillers anyway.

With Jones feeding the likes of Schreier, Kuhar, and Fowler in the middle who then deliver to Steele and Aldenhoven, they'll be fine. Throw in Clay, Hellmanns, Robinson and Scott and I'm sure their sandbagging will pay off.

I think the inevitable Hope Valley v PAC GF should be a cracker (those two are light years ahead of third which is any of the next 5 teams on their day).

Not sure if Hope Valley (or any other D Grade, or for that matter, some A Grades in the SAAFL) have the ability to shut down Dent and Bilyk when they're up and about. And that's assuming Waltham doesn't come up for the 8R finals as well!
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1203 times
Been liked: 725 times

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:45 am

Trader wrote:With Jones feeding the likes of Schreier, Kuhar, and Fowler in the middle who then deliver to Steele and Aldenhoven, they'll be fine. Throw in Clay, Hellmanns, Robinson and Scott and I'm sure their sandbagging will pay off.

Matt Hellmanns? Surely he's not playing D grade?! :shock:
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby S Demon » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:56 am

The only decision our club made was to bring on a 5th side with a whole group of mates wanting to play together. If they won a few games, that would be a bonus. Their results are not from a committee decision to try and have D grade success. What there results would be was unknown in November 2013 when we deicded to run with it the side

The fact is, if we didn't get a D grade up and running, from what you have all said, our C grade would have struggled anyway if they are that bad.

The D grade coach spends thursday night, friday afternoon and saturday morning trying to get players and they've had over 50 different players. The main difference is, Bundy has the ability to pull really good footballers out of nowhere and get them to have a kick. Those blokes he gets aren't going to play C grade because we aren't going to pick someone we've never even seen before

Take Jim Morrisson as an example. He trained twice in 2012 to play A grade and did his knee at the snakepit. Never saw him again.
The D grade coach is good mates with him and has tried all year to get him to play. Eventually he talked him into it. Jim has played the last few games and is a really good player. But other than for 2 hours on a saturday, we dont see him. Should he instead be playing C grade or even B grade for us because he is good enough to? I think you know the answer. There's a lot more with similar J Morrisson stories in the D grade. Not forgetting a third of the side is either in the 37-45 years bracket

The D Grade was not put in to try and win a flag with a stacked side that you all keep alluding to. Their success from a committee point of view is measured differently to ladder position. Our sole focus is to try and win an A grade flag and keep pushing up the divisions. I would hate for Hefty to be annoyed for too much longer. Although I can understand how being the ONLY coach at GG not to beat HV this year out of all 5 grades would be quite annoying for him..
S Demon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 371 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby jo172 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:58 am

Is your response not at least a tad inconsistent with your attitude to Modbury in the past?
Last edited by jo172 on Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby S Demon » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:00 pm

Trader wrote:

You forgot Dunstall and Morrisson, they go alright. But they probably weren't named in the best players where you looked
S Demon
Assistant Coach

Postby Hefty » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:05 pm

jo172 wrote:
Trader wrote:

I think the inevitable Hope Valley v PAC GF should be a cracker (those two are light years ahead of third which is any of the next 5 teams on their day).

Not sure if Hope Valley (or any other D Grade, or for that matter, some A Grades in the SAAFL) have the ability to shut down Dent and Bilyk when they're up and about. And that's assuming Waltham doesn't come up for the 8R finals as well!

Saw they kicked 22 goals between them on Satdee. In saying that, Simmons did kick 20 off his own boot for us :lol:
Hefty
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 110 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby Footy Chick » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:06 pm

The Flexers??? That wasn't last year, that would've been about 4 years ago now? Was that the GF they ended up losing too? to TTG after drawing the week before? *edit- could be (probably am) getting years mixed up*

You'd have to go back and look, the years now escape me...

Seriously though, I really don't see how this back and forth is productive in any way shape or form and quite honestly is getting boring.

GG has crack at HV for sandbagging

HV has crack at GG for choking

GG retaliates with jibe about sandbagging

and the viscious circle starts again....

yada, yada, yada

*yawn*
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1742 times
Been liked: 2153 times

Postby Haynzy » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:06 pm

S Demon wrote:
Trader wrote:

You forgot Dunstall and Morrisson, they go alright. But they probably weren't named in the best players where you looked

I reckon Jimmy would be one of the best players going around in that team, but good luck getting him to play higher. He never really seemed that interest in footy after Juniors. I'd rather have him playing D grade than not at all...

Where did Steele come from? That kid is a gun. Had a run against your boys a couple of weeks ago and he was the difference...
Haynzy
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times
Grassroots Team: Tea Tree Gully

Postby jo172 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:07 pm

Hefty wrote:
jo172 wrote:
Trader wrote:

Saw they kicked 22 goals between them on Satdee. In saying that, Simmons did kick 20 off his own boot for us :lol:

Both are guns. The difference being it's much harder to criticize PAC with the form of their A's, B's and C's!
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby Hefty » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:12 pm

Footy Chick wrote:The Flexers??? That wasn't last year, that would've been about 4 years ago now? Was that the GF they ended up losing too? to TTG after drawing the week before? *edit- could be (probably am) getting years mixed up*

Seriously though, I really don't see how this back and forth is productive in any way shape or form and quite honestly is getting boring.

yada, yada, yada

*yawn*

It is entertaining though for a boring Monday morning at work.....................sandbagger ;)
Hefty
League Bench Warmer

Postby S Demon » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:18 pm

Haynzy wrote:
S Demon wrote:
Trader wrote:

I reckon Jimmy would be one of the best players going around in that team, but good luck getting him to play higher. He never really seemed that interest in footy after Juniors. I'd rather have him playing D grade than not at all...

Where did Steele come from? That kid is a gun. Had a run against your boys a couple of weeks ago and he was the difference...

I agree.
S Demon
Assistant Coach

Postby S Demon » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:21 pm

jo172 wrote:Is your response not at least a tad inconsistent with your attitude to Modbury in the past?

I'm not the president of the Modbury Football Club. What they do is their business and my opinion at the time (whatever that was, although you seem to know) is totally irrelevant.
S Demon
Assistant Coach

Postby Hefty » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:23 pm

S Demon wrote:The only decision our club made was to bring on a 5th side with a whole group of mates wanting to play together. If they won a few games, that would be a bonus. Their results are not from a committee decision to try and have D grade success. What there results would be was unknown in November 2013 when we deicded to run with it the side

The fact is, if we didn't get a D grade up and running, from what you have all said, our C grade would have struggled anyway if they are that bad.

The D grade coach spends thursday night, friday afternoon and saturday morning trying to get players and they've had over 50 different players. The main difference is, Bundy has the ability to pull really good footballers out of nowhere and get them to have a kick. Those blokes he gets aren't going to play C grade because we aren't going to pick someone we've never even seen before

Take Jim Morrisson as an example. He trained twice in 2012 to play A grade and did his knee at the snakepit. Never saw him again.
The D grade coach is good mates with him and has tried all year to get him to play. Eventually he talked him into it. Jim has played the last few games and is a really good player. But other than for 2 hours on a saturday, we dont see him. Should he instead be playing C grade or even B grade for us because he is good enough to? I think you know the answer. There's a lot more with similar J Morrisson stories in the D grade. Not forgetting a third of the side is either in the 37-45 years bracket

The D Grade was not put in to try and win a flag with a stacked side that you all keep alluding to. Their success from a committee point of view is measured differently to ladder position. Our sole focus is to try and win an A grade flag and keep pushing up the divisions. I would hate for Hefty to be annoyed for too much longer. Although I can understand how being the ONLY coach at GG not to beat HV this year out of all 5 grades would be quite annoying for him..

And, I thought reading all those Tommy Haffey books about coaching would hold me in good stead..........I was wrong!!

Anywho, one week left for our D grade then we can do what we do best - sink copious amounts of red cans and tell everyone how good we use to be.

Just a question, but why doesn't HV have a fence running along the side of the oval between the two coaches boxes?? One of our players was pushed over the boundary line and ended up slipping on the bitumen and breaking his wrist. Seems a little dangerous not having something to slow up players if they go over the boundary......
Hefty
League Bench Warmer

Postby jo172 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:29 pm

S Demon wrote:
jo172 wrote:Is your response not at least a tad inconsistent with your attitude to Modbury in the past?

I'm not the president of the Modbury Football Club. What they do is their business and my opinion at the time (whatever that was, although you seem to know) is totally irrelevant.

It's just intriguing how critical you were of what you referred to as, "sandbagging" at the time.
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby Footy Chick » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:30 pm

They used to have seats there, so people would've been there to stop them.

Then they took the seats away because it was a OHS issue?

Go figure, that's the TTG council for ya ;)

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Postby Footy Chick » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:31 pm

Hefty wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:The Flexers??? That wasn't last year, that would've been about 4 years ago now? Was that the GF they ended up losing too? to TTG after drawing the week before? *edit- could be (probably am) getting years mixed up*

yada, yada, yada

*yawn*

It is entertaining though for a boring Monday morning at work.....................sandbagger ;)

Hey! I play A grade :lol:

Footy Chick

Postby wristwatcher » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:32 pm

Will the HopeValley cheer leaders be making a comeback for the D Grade GF ;)
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby Johno6 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:57 pm

I thought this was like 40 year old virgin, and when everyone was talking about sand baggers they were talking about boobs.

I am very disappointed now.
R.I.P Mum 28/02/12

Asterix Users - Squibs
Johno6
Coach

Has liked: 344 times
Been liked: 604 times

Postby Trader » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:27 pm

Phantom Gossiper wrote:
Trader wrote:With Jones feeding the likes of Schreier, Kuhar, and Fowler in the middle who then deliver to Steele and Aldenhoven, they'll be fine. Throw in Clay, Hellmanns, Robinson and Scott and I'm sure their sandbagging will pay off.

Matt Hellmanns? Surely he's not playing D grade?! :shock:

Yeah, that's him. Goes ok to say the least.

S Demon wrote:

Didn't forget them, they are just the other 2 that make up the dozen! haha
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 61 times
Been liked: 794 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League