11%
St Peters OC
13%
Tea Tree Gully
9%

Total votes : 54

Re: Adelaide Footy League Division 1 - 2019

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Mon May 13, 2019 4:50 pm

Down the Hill wrote:Is the 2019 HTB interpretation frustrating everyone as much as me? I thought we were going to get a 90 to 180 degree shift from what we were getting in the last couple of years but it seems we have gone a complete 360 degrees and ended up with an interpretation that is even harsher than the AFL.

We've gone from players being given too much prior opportunity to virtually none, and some of the so called "dragging the ball back ins" and "not making enough effort to release the ball" has been too severe on the player who has shown the most intent and courage to take possession of the loose ball in the first place. I will at least admit the umpires are applying things fairly consistently from week to week but it is far too much of a change from one season to the next in my opinion.

I shared your concerns when I watched a trial game, but after watching 5 games I'm happy with how they are interpretting holding the ball.
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 534 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Mon May 13, 2019 9:22 pm

Senor Moto Gadili wrote:
Down the Hill wrote:Is the 2019 HTB interpretation frustrating everyone as much as me? I thought we were going to get a 90 to 180 degree shift from what we were getting in the last couple of years but it seems we have gone a complete 360 degrees and ended up with an interpretation that is even harsher than the AFL.

We've gone from players being given too much prior opportunity to virtually none, and some of the so called "dragging the ball back ins" and "not making enough effort to release the ball" has been too severe on the player who has shown the most intent and courage to take possession of the loose ball in the first place. I will at least admit the umpires are applying things fairly consistently from week to week but it is far too much of a change from one season to the next in my opinion.

I shared your concerns when I watched a trial game, but after watching 5 games I'm happy with how they are interpretting holding the ball.

I'm curious and it's annoyed me for a couple of weeks now, does anyone know if there has been a directive from the league to change the interruptation of holding the ball? (Again)

From my point of view it has changed completely from our trail games and round 1 where the umpires were real hot on holding the ball and penalizing guys almost immediately to now having it almost going back to the way it was last year where guys can safely hold onto it when tackled and not be penalized for HTB.
I've had chats with opposition players in all our games so far about it and they've all agreed that they have seen the change in interruptation from the start of the season.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10402 times
Been liked: 1536 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Eagles2014 » Tue May 14, 2019 11:54 am

Henley under the pump again?? Another red card in A Grade, Harris Jessen?

Looks like a 4 to 6 weeker, does that put them close to losing premiership points?? Be certain relegation next season if so!
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 528 times

Postby jo172 » Tue May 14, 2019 12:02 pm

Didn't Henley have a few nasty incidents last year as well?

Bit of a concerning trend line if the above is true.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1204 times
Been liked: 725 times

Postby oldman » Tue May 14, 2019 1:13 pm

Eagles2014 wrote:Henley under the pump again?? Another red card in A Grade, Harris Jessen?

Looks like a 4 to 6 weeker, does that put them close to losing premiership points?? Be certain relegation next season if so!

You obviously haven't seen the footage. Jessen is clearly pushed by an opposition player which is what causes the contact. Surely a player can't get suspended for that? Plus the player who he makes contact with plays out the rest of the game if you watch the footage.
oldman
Under 16s

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 62 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby Eagles2014 » Tue May 14, 2019 2:10 pm

oldman wrote:
Eagles2014 wrote:Henley under the pump again?? Another red card in A Grade, Harris Jessen?

You obviously haven't seen the footage. Jessen is clearly pushed by an opposition player which is what causes the contact. Surely a player can't get suspended for that? Plus the player who he makes contact with plays out the rest of the game if you watch the footage.

Thought it looked ordinary live, and watching video doesn't change my view. Player went off and did not appear till end of quarter. The only thing maybe bringing it down to a 2 game suspension is the slight push by the Uni player, but he was bumping the guy to the head either way.

We will see what Tribunal decides I suppose, but the Club needs to lift its game as building up a disturbing resume!!
Eagles2014
Veteran

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue May 14, 2019 2:29 pm

Eagles2014 wrote:
oldman wrote:

Thought it looked ordinary live, and watching video doesn't change my view. Player went off and did not appear till end of quarter. The only thing maybe bringing it down to a 2 game suspension is the slight push by the Uni player, but he was bumping the guy to the head either way.

We will see what Tribunal decides I suppose, but the Club needs to lift its game as building up a disturbing resume!!

Do we have a time of occurrence to draw our own conclusions?
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4348 times
Been liked: 7942 times

Postby oldman » Tue May 14, 2019 2:56 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Eagles2014 wrote:
oldman wrote:

Do we have a time of occurrence to draw our own conclusions?

It looks more like the player was going in to try and pick the ball up after the uni player bounced it and it didnt come back to him. Jessen is a big lad but the fact that it looks like he was attempting to pick the ball up and then is pushed what was he supposed to do? The player coming back onto the field in the same quarter would mean the impact was rather insufficient. just watched again 41.25 and again still wouldnt think that is a suspension due to the push which caused him to enter that contest totally of balance
oldman
Under 16s

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue May 14, 2019 3:05 pm

oldman wrote:It looks more like the player was going in to try and pick the ball up after the uni player bounced it and it didnt come back to him. Jessen is a big lad but the fact that it looks like he was attempting to pick the ball up and then is pushed what was he supposed to do? The player coming back onto the field in the same quarter would mean the impact was rather insufficient. just watched again 41.25 and again still wouldnt think that is a suspension due to the push which caused him to enter that contest totally of balance

I agree with you, went for the ball, got bumped which put him off balance and unfortunately bumped the Uni player in the head, if he bounced the ball properly nothing would've happened.

The umpire was close by and the girl close by had zero reaction so it was fair to say it wasn't malicious at all.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Armchair expert » Tue May 14, 2019 3:17 pm

I agree with Eagles, he was going to hit the head regardless of a push from the Henley player.

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (43.98 KiB) Viewed 1931 times
I will be back on September 27
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 1456 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue May 14, 2019 3:20 pm

Armchair expert wrote:I agree with Eagles, he was going to hit the head regardless of a push from the Henley play.

Did anyone ask the Henley player if he was going for the ball or going for the bump?
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Trader » Tue May 14, 2019 3:25 pm

Looks to me like the Henley player is shaping up to bump. Yes, the Uni player nudges him towards the victim, but for mine the Henley player has chosen to bump.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out. Early calls of 4-6 would be overs for mine, especially when you consider what the Broadies cage fighter only got 5. At least this was a football incident. 2-3 weeks for mine.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 61 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby jo172 » Tue May 14, 2019 3:48 pm

Agree with what Trader said. Not thuggery, but suspendable.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1204 times
Been liked: 725 times

Postby Eagles2014 » Tue May 14, 2019 4:27 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Armchair expert wrote:I agree with Eagles, he was going to hit the head regardless of a push from the Henley play.

Did anyone ask the Henley player if he was going for the ball or going for the bump?

That is up to Mr.Roach and his tribunal members to ask!!

The more I watch it I think he will get 2 games now.

The head has to be protected and think he had bit more duty of care than what he showed, conceding the push he got.

Certainly that will be how Henleys advocate challenges it.
Eagles2014
Veteran

Postby oldman » Wed May 15, 2019 10:39 am

Eagles2014 wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

The head has to be protected and think he had bit more duty of care than what he showed, conceding the push he got.

I still disagree in that still frame he actually has one of his arms down towards making a play at the footy which is in dispute and then gets pushed from behind. At know stage did he brace with hip and shoulder. 2 players are allowed to make contact with the ball between them. We can't say for sure that contact to the head would have occurred had the push not taken place. A player can not be held accountable for an opposing players actions. He had no where to go on this instance. The free kick plus a red card is sufficient penalty.
oldman
Under 16s

Postby Eagles2014 » Wed May 15, 2019 11:14 am

oldman wrote:
Eagles2014 wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

I still disagree in that still frame he actually has one of his arms down towards making a play at the footy which is in dispute and then gets pushed from behind. At know stage did he brace with hip and shoulder. 2 players are allowed to make contact with the ball between them. We can't say for sure that contact to the head would have occurred had the push not taken place. A player can not be held accountable for an opposing players actions. He had no where to go on this instance. The free kick plus a red card is sufficient penalty.

You need to be his advocate tonight!!!
Eagles2014
Veteran

Postby oldman » Wed May 15, 2019 11:29 am

Interesting that your "grass roots" team is Henley yet you have been trying to get one of their players rubbed out?
oldman
Under 16s

Postby Eagles2014 » Wed May 15, 2019 11:35 am

oldman wrote:Interesting that your "grass roots" team is Henley yet you have been trying to get one of their players rubbed out?

Not "trying" to get someone rubbed out! Know Harris well, my son is mates with him and played cricket/footy with him. Was at the game with ex Henley players catching up for couple of beers.

Unlike you by the sounds of it, I can look at it from both sides and form an opinion. Don't let bias get in the way. I have explained my opinion, you have yours, that's why footy is such a great game as we can look at the same incident and everyone can have different views.

My guess tonight is he will get two games, which would be a fair outcome, we will now wait to see what happens!
Eagles2014
Veteran

Postby Down the Hill » Wed May 15, 2019 1:25 pm

I totally respect your unbias views on this one Eagles2014 but would those who are regulars on the Grade Cricket forum agree with your following comment "I can look at it from both sides and form an opinion. Don't let bias get in the way". ;)
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 287 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby Eagles2014 » Wed May 15, 2019 1:41 pm

Down the Hill wrote:I totally respect your unbias views on this one Eagles2014 but would those who are regulars on the Grade Cricket forum agree with your following comment "I can look at it from both sides and form an opinion. Don't let bias get in the way". ;)

I think so. Cant argue with the truth!

We all get caught up in our own clubs, and been guilty of that in the past with West Torrens DC, but most times the facts speak for themselves.

I know you are always fair and reasonable at Brighton, but still see thru black/gold goggles at times too!!!
Eagles2014
Veteran

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League