Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2333 times
Been liked: 3567 times

Re: New Clubs for 2017

Postby godra » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:13 pm

marbles wrote:
godra wrote:

The gate collection at Marion Sports and Social Club isn't run by the football club. Other sports are held on the same day (soccer, basketball) in the same precinct and would be unfair on the other teams if the football club was only able to collect the $$$.

In fact, I believe Lions Club collect at the gate. Nothing to do with the footy club at all.

Thankyou for the clarification. It still sounds like the gate fee cannot be dropped the lions club wiuld be in ruins without it

The whole club will therefore hav to suffer for the lions club?

Its only metaphorical but from my window office at the santos building, keeping marion in SFL is kind of like asking the Flinders Uni Crabs to play in div 1 and div 2 every week

Why does anybody even consider volunteering to play in such scenarios theyre all being thrown to the wolves and thats cannot be fun especially after 6 seasons of it.

Unsure how you gather from my comment that the gate fee is still an issue.

However I am not part of the inner sanctum at the club so I'll refrain from making any comment for the club, but I don't believe for a second a gate issue was any reasoning to stay in the SFL. As to why they seem to have made that decision, I am unsure.

My personal thoughts - player numbers. I don't think many current players would stay on if a move to SAAFL went through. My feel is that the travel in the south is much more convenient for players, many who live up the hill but only come down the hill to play footy.

One could raise an argument, wouldn't players be willing to drive another 15-20 minutes for a close game, or even a victory? That's a fair comment, but I'll leave that for the club and players to comment if that is a better fit for them.

It's the million dollar question, but it seems the club has made up its mind and they'd prefer SFL.
godra

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 3 times

Postby Footy Chick » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:13 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Pag wrote:
Dutchy wrote:You can't be serious? Its called the Adelaide Football League, not the Northern Football League. There are at least 2 teams in regional areas already in the comp...Hackham is at least in metro area!!!

Say a really strong club like Reynella wants to come to in with their 18 teams, are you going to knock them back as they are a half hour drive from the city?

In an ideal world, I'd think the league would like to slowly gravitate south, hence MVP and Brighton would be a logical start. Jumping then all the way down to Hackham probably isn't ideal.

Explain TOS to me then please?

This probably all bains back from when the CDFA fell over and the league took on the majority of the Northern Suburbs teams, which have now been a part of the comp for something along the lines of 20 odd years. Given the logistics, it wasn't outrageous to include clubs like Trinity and Angle Vale at the time, as they're only a 10 minute drive from most of the northern clubs.

As Morell pointed out, they have to take into account the travel involved for the division they'll be put in and the likelyhood of forfeits and beltings if players from either club decide it's too hard to travel.

If the SFL as a whole fell over tomorrow, then clearly the league may (or may not) reconsider homing everyone and working out the logistics from there (or maybe re-creating the old north/south divs, who knows) but at this point, they've made the decision that it's not viable.
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1742 times
Been liked: 2153 times

Postby jo172 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:14 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Pag wrote:
Dutchy wrote:You can't be serious? Its called the Adelaide Football League, not the Northern Football League. There are at least 2 teams in regional areas already in the comp...Hackham is at least in metro area!!!

Say a really strong club like Reynella wants to come to in with their 18 teams, are you going to knock them back as they are a half hour drive from the city?

In an ideal world, I'd think the league would like to slowly gravitate south, hence MVP and Brighton would be a logical start. Jumping then all the way down to Hackham probably isn't ideal.

After a couple of times doing that road trip most aren't adverse to the occasional suggestion they'd be more at home in the BLG League :lol:
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1204 times
Been liked: 725 times

Postby Footy Chick » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:16 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Zartan wrote:
Bottom line is - we don't want them (Hackham), you can keep them :lol:

I suspect they won't be anywhere now

and also this, we all appreciate they need to find the right environment to play in, with clubs of similar skill level, however what happens if they disband half way through the season?
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1742 times
Been liked: 2153 times

Postby Dutchy » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:16 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:When it started TOSFC was playing at Blakeview.
Surrounded by Smithfield, Elizabeth, Eastern Park.
Angle Vale entered, 10 minutes down the road from Gawler, so there was no problem with TOS playing at Gawler, five minutes away.
It only looks so bad now, because AVFC have moved to the Plains.

You seem very keen to support Hackham's move, Dutchy.

Confirms my point DW, forgot about Angle Vale....very unusual to allow regional teams in the North but not metro teams in the South.

There are some good people at Hackham who are trying to take the club to a comp that suits their needs/abilities, this decision could make them go one of 2 ways, and I don;t think anyone wants to see a club disappear.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Pag » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:20 pm

Footy Chick wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Pag wrote:

This probably all bains back from when the CDFA fell over and the league took on the majority of the Northern Suburbs teams, which have now been a part of the comp for something along the lines of 20 odd years. Given the logistics, it wasn't outrageous to include clubs like Trinity and Angle Vale at the time, as they're only a 10 minute drive from most of the northern clubs.

As Morell pointed out, they have to take into account the travel involved for the division they'll be put in and the likelyhood of forfeits and beltings if players from either club decide it's too hard to travel.

If the SFL as a whole fell over tomorrow, then clearly the league may (or may not) reconsider homing everyone and working out the logistics from there (or maybe re-creating the old north/south divs, who knows) but at this point, they've made the decision that it's not viable.

This.

TOS is only 10 min to their closest neighbours (Smithfield, Eastern Park, Elizabeth). If Hackham joined as we currently stand, their closest neighbours in the league would be close to double that amount of time. If the SFL disbanded or ceased to exist, I'd have no doubt the league would take all the SFL clubs on and restructure the comp as a whole.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 499 times

Postby Dutchy » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:21 pm

Zartan wrote:
Dutchy wrote:How can you tell what clubs are going to be in what Div in 10 years time?

How can you say Reynella will be a really strong club in 10 years time either?

Just look at their juniors, 18 junior teams...fair indication
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby marbles » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:25 pm

godra wrote:
marbles wrote:
godra wrote:

The gate collection at Marion Sports and Social Club isn't run by the football club. Other sports are held on the same day (soccer, basketball) in the same precinct and would be unfair on the other teams if the football club was only able to collect the $$$.

In fact, I believe Lions Club collect at the gate. Nothing to do with the footy club at all.

Thankyou for the clarification. It still sounds like the gate fee cannot be dropped the lions club wiuld be in ruins without it

The whole club will therefore hav to suffer for the lions club?

Its only metaphorical but from my window office at the santos building, keeping marion in SFL is kind of like asking the Flinders Uni Crabs to play in div 1 and div 2 every week

Why does anybody even consider volunteering to play in such scenarios theyre all being thrown to the wolves and thats cannot be fun especially after 6 seasons of it.

Unsure how you gather from my comment that the gate fee is still an issue.

However I am not part of the inner sanctum at the club so I'll refrain from making any comment for the club, but I don't believe for a second a gate issue was any reasoning to stay in the SFL. As to why they seem to have made that decision, I am unsure.

My personal thoughts - player numbers. I don't think many current players would stay on if a move to SAAFL went through. My feel is that the travel in the south is much more convenient for players, many who live up the hill but only come down the hill to play footy.

One could raise an argument, wouldn't players be willing to drive another 15-20 minutes for a close game, or even a victory? That's a fair comment, but I'll leave that for the club and players to comment if that is a better fit for them.

It's the million dollar question, but it seems the club has made up its mind and they'd prefer SFL.

its pretty much telling us that in order for marion to join the saafl and give their players a fair chance of actually winning a game every week that they will have to inform the Lions Club that gate taking cannot be taken and the lions will also therefore be denied gate takings from the soccer & basketball visitors too?

we're talking at least $500 a day and that over 20 weeks = $10,000 a year taken away from the lions club

im sure marion would love to join saafl but it cant it has its hands tied here, youre all stuck there and i find it seriously hard to fathom how that club keeps its doors open and who the f##k would wanna be in a div 7 team thats being forced to play in div 1 div 2 every week

imagine being the coach of those boys (who just recently got sacked)
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 259 times

Postby human_torpedo » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:31 pm

Aren't Hackham a battling SFL club? Why does the SAAFL have to accept them? If player numbers and performance are a query then why should the SAAFL be obliged to take them in? Why do the SAAFL have to take the SFL's sh!t? Location may have been a factor but im sure their are plenty more reasons behind the decision.

And Jo172, shove your Barossa League link fair and square up ya clacker. Even though im sure its tongue in cheek
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 371 times

Postby The Bedge » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:32 pm

human_torpedo wrote:And Jo172, shove your Barossa League link fair and square up ya clacker. Even though im sure its tongue in cheek

Well you could go Adel Plains if you'd prefer :lol:
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3196 times
Been liked: 4035 times

Postby Executive Member » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:33 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Zartan wrote:
Dutchy wrote:How can you tell what clubs are going to be in what Div in 10 years time?

How can you say Reynella will be a really strong club in 10 years time either?

Just look at their juniors, 18 junior teams...fair indication

except they have not applied to join
Executive Member
Veteran

Been liked: 140 times

Postby human_torpedo » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:34 pm

Much prefer that Zartan - At least we would beat Hamley and AVFC!! I hope
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

Postby Dutchy » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:42 pm

human_torpedo wrote:Aren't Hackham a battling SFL club? Why does the SAAFL have to accept them? If player numbers and performance are a query then why should the SAAFL be obliged to take them in? Why do the SAAFL have to take the SFL's sh!t? Location may have been a factor but im sure their are plenty more reasons behind the decision.

And Jo172, shove your Barossa League link fair and square up ya clacker. Even though im sure its tongue in cheek

Why woudn't you want to go to the BLG?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby human_torpedo » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:47 pm

We are an Old Scholars club - No juniors. No Netball. We operate on $0 playing budget and would be so far from competitive in that league it wouldn't be funny.. Some contributing factors
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

Postby S Demon » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:49 pm

zedman wrote:
Suri wrote:
S Demon wrote:So if Brighton don't get the 75% of votes from their seniors and juniors, hypothetically what would that mean to Ins and Outs in Div 4/5/6?

If Brighton don't get the votes and don't come in then I guess the Div 4 Runners Up would be promoted as per usual. If Morphy Park still come into Div 4 then I would think the effects to the Div 5 and 6 runner ups would have to remain in their divisions.

no..div 4 is 9 teams..if brighton dont come into div 3 then the following would apply:

2 teams up from 4 -3 as usual leaves 7 teams..2 down from 3-4 leaves 9..
2 teams down from 4-5 as usual leaves 7 teams..2 up from 5-4 leaves 9..
add mpfc and you have a 10 team competition..
or have i missed something?

Maybe only one team down if it's already a 9 team comp? If Salisbury chose to go up to Div 3 this year, wouldn't it only have been Seaton down to Div 4 and 8th placed Mitcham stayed in 3?
Last edited by S Demon on Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
S Demon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 312 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby am Bays » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:51 pm

Dutchy wrote:
human_torpedo wrote:Aren't Hackham a battling SFL club? Why does the SAAFL have to accept them? If player numbers and performance are a query then why should the SAAFL be obliged to take them in? Why do the SAAFL have to take the SFL's sh!t? Location may have been a factor but im sure their are plenty more reasons behind the decision.

Why woudn't you want to go to the BLG?

Would the BLGFL want them for the same reasons you (SFL) clubs whinge about playing juniors and seniors on the same day at the same location, given Trinity play in the Independent Schools footy program.

Nothing against TOS here just find it mildly amusing that a SFL person would advocate an old scholars team going into one league for the same reason they complain about other clubs in their comp just so they can get rid of Hackham.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1830 times

Postby human_torpedo » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:53 pm

Its a ridiculous discussion to even have.. SFL bloke just trying to shuffle their sh!t onto another league and kicking up a stink when the league knock them back
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

Postby zedman » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:54 pm

S Demon wrote:
zedman wrote:
Suri wrote:
S Demon wrote:So if Brighton don't get the 75% of votes from their seniors and juniors, hypothetically what would that mean to Ins and Outs in Div 4/5/6?

If Brighton don't get the votes and don't come in then I guess the Div 4 Runners Up would be promoted as per usual. If Morphy Park still come into Div 4 then I would think the effects to the Div 5 and 6 runner ups would have to remain in their divisions.

no..div 4 is 9 teams..if brighton dont come into div 3 then the following would apply:

2 teams up from 4 -3 as usual leaves 7 teams..2 down from 3-4 leaves 9..
2 teams down from 4-5 as usual leaves 7 teams..2 up from 5-4 leaves 9..
add mpfc and you have a 10 team competition..
or have i missed something?

Maybe only one team down if it's already a 9 team comp?

yep..thats another way it could go..
zedman
Coach

Has liked: 1080 times
Been liked: 387 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:56 pm

I've recently heard talk a Gawler club is thinking about joining SAAFL.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League