Brighton to join SAAFL Div 3 2013

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: Brighton to join SAAFL Div 3 2013

Postby BFG » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:30 pm

LaughingKookaburra wrote:
TIRED TIGER wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:I agree to a point but on the other hand, why potentially hand them 4 premierships on the way back up?

It might not affect every grade as badly as everyone thinks, especially if they slipped into the grade of a club whose registration wasn't accepted for 2013?

Just sayin'....

Not quite true tho FC cos a lot of players would walk/ stay in SFL,or be poached so they may be strong in say div 6/7 but need to be made pay for jumping when things got too hard for them a few years ago imo

Their B grade would still smack div 6/7 sides. Their depth is ridiculous.

agreed, their full back from their B grade side is playing for Plympton in div 4 and has been in the best quite a bit ive noticed. their side runs very very deep
BFG
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 25 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Jimmy_041 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:32 pm

LaughingKookaburra wrote:
TIRED TIGER wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:I agree to a point but on the other hand, why potentially hand them 4 premierships on the way back up?

It might not affect every grade as badly as everyone thinks, especially if they slipped into the grade of a club whose registration wasn't accepted for 2013?

Just sayin'....

Not quite true tho FC cos a lot of players would walk/ stay in SFL,or be poached so they may be strong in say div 6/7 but need to be made pay for jumping when things got too hard for them a few years ago imo

Their B grade would still smack div 6/7 sides. Their depth is ridiculous.

Could their B Grade knock off a Div 1R side?
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 726 times
Been liked: 1080 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby The Big Shrek » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:35 pm

Watch me get permanently banned for this.

If Salisbury West go up a division the legue is considering deregistering them. This will fit in with making a statement about on field violence in wake of the 2nd banning of one of their players.
The Big Shrek
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 367 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:41 pm

or a current Div 3 club might fold because they cant pay their players
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby The Big Shrek » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:48 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:or a current Div 3 club might fold because they cant pay their players

Not one player being paid at Kilburn and we win 10 in a row.

PAOC paying a pretty penny and sitting 8th.

Had to laugh at supporters from your other team(Pembroke) telling us about our envelopes after the game.

Just goes to show that money means everything to college poofs.

At Kilburn we play for our mates!
The Big Shrek
Assistant Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:51 pm

So, they told you no-one else was being paid when you agreed to play for nothing? =))
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby The Big Shrek » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:52 pm

No one is getting paid.
The Big Shrek
Assistant Coach

Postby The Big Shrek » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:58 pm

Very clever Jimmy to try to change the topic.

Real issue is the league kicking out a club.
The Big Shrek
Assistant Coach

Postby Yank Man » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:04 pm

Settle lads, you have gone off track. :lol:
To be honest I would be surprised if the Brighton members vote for it. I was heavily involved at Edwardstown when the vote was put to join the SFL. It split the club apart and got over the line by a small majority. Personally I could see both sides of the argument but wasn't altogether in favour of it. Committees come and go and most of the people who drove it are no longer in a position of authority there now. But one thing was very very clear, if the decision was a poor one and the club eat humble pie and wanted to go back to SAAFL, the league had made it clear that it would at Div 6 at best. Interestingly a high percentage of the canvassing that was done back then was through Brighton members, and their input was strong to join SFL. How things have changed.
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 322 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

Postby marbles » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:29 pm

what would be causing the discussion to jump

theyre not exactly top and in a league of their own sitting 3rd
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 259 times

Postby The Big Shrek » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:31 pm

marbles wrote:what would be causing the discussion to jump

Stupid league where every second week you pump a team by at least 20 goals.
The Big Shrek
Assistant Coach

Postby marbles » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:33 pm

The Big Shrek wrote:

and theres 15 teams in the one league baha
http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?client=1-6133-0-0-0
marbles
Assistant Coach

Postby marbles » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:42 pm

The Big Shrek wrote:

Maybe the SFL might have to be forced to split into 2 divisions of 8 teams and invite Flinders Uni or Mitchell Park to make up the the 16th team heha
marbles
Assistant Coach

Postby Yank Man » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:46 pm

marbles wrote:
The Big Shrek wrote:

Maybe the SFL might have to be forced to split into 2 divisions of 8 teams and invite Flinders Uni or Mitchell Park to make up the the 16th team heha

No, the Lions have been there done that. Know your just takin' the pee, but your C's would be very competitive. :lol:
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 322 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

Postby Jimmy_041 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:07 pm

Bombers consider SAAFL move
Gordon Armstrong and Matt Turner

THE Southern Football League's reigning premier is considering returning to amateur football ranks because it says lopsided results are crippling the competition.
Brighton Football Club is expected to decide by the end of August whether to return to the South Australian Amateur Football League, possibly as early as next year, in the wake of a string of thrashings it has handed out in recent seasons.
The Bombers have called on the SFL to become a two-division competition to address what it calls a long-standing gulf between the top and bottom clubs.
The league has established a working party, comprising SFL club representatives, to look at the competition make-up but has previously indicated it likely would not go to two tiers until at least 2014.
Brighton football director John Schneebichler said his club was concerned about one-sided games and wanted an even competition.
"We want two divisions, it's screaming out for two divisions, but we're not sure what the league will do," he said.
"We still have a lot of work to do here and to talk to our people, the players and to make sure we have enough volunteers to carry out the move (to the SAAFL)."
Blow-outs have been commonplace since the SFL merged its division one and division two leagues a decade ago.
This season 34 games have been decided by more than 100 points, including six games by at least 200 points (33 goals) and one in excess of 300 points (50 goals).
"It's not fair on the clubs who are getting belted. We want to be playing good footy each week, that's the bottom line," Schneebichler said.
Brighton joined the SFL from the SAAFL in the late 1990s.
If it returned to the amateurs it would likely be admitted into division three.
A spokesperson for the working party said discussions on the two-tier proposal were in its early stages and that no decision was likely soon.

This could just be a ploy to force the two tier system into the SFL
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Yardy Lard » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:27 pm

TIRED TIGER wrote:
WHEELS&DEALS wrote:Brighton have meeting next thursday for there members to vote on joining the SAAFL in Div 3 in 2013 or stay in the SFL. As this may effect your club, it would be interesting to see who has been told or if you got to vote on this. They want to field A's, B's, C's and D's as well as there junior teams in the Metro south/west comp. What are peoples thoughts?

Unless they are merging with some one in Div 3 or a club is folding I would be extremely disappointed if SAAFL let this competition hopping club start that high.Start in Div 6 and battle like the rest of us to get up the grades. They were in Div 1/2 and bailed so tough luck is what I think :shock:

Could not agree more TT. Think it would be appalling for the other clubs who have battled so hard, for many years and then to let a club in who have turned their back on the SAAFL before and went to various other leagues over many years. They have been in and out of the SAAFL many times, and deserve nothing. There are clubs in D4, D5, D6 and D7 who deserve far more, for their loyalty to the competition and think the SAAFL, would alienate these clubs if Brighton came into D3, without having earn't their stripes other than in a little piss ant league.
Yardy Lard
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Yardy Lard » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:39 pm

For those worried about handing Brighton Premierships in lower grades because of their strength, it should not even be a consideration and WOULD NOT HAPPEN.

If Brighton were told they were to start in D6 or D7 or wherever, their players WOULD NOT stay around. The locals and die-hards would, but the rest of the players would look elsewhere and would not stay. Pretty simple really, so should not be a reason or discussion point.

Personally I could not see the SAAFL letting them in D3. Think it might be Brighton driving this and could not in a million years think the SAAFL would allow this. Might be Brighton asking their members to vote first about joining the league, but can't see the SAAFL being serious about it.
Yardy Lard
Under 16s

Postby woodublieve12 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:45 pm

Yardy Lard wrote:
TIRED TIGER wrote:
WHEELS&DEALS wrote:Brighton have meeting next thursday for there members to vote on joining the SAAFL in Div 3 in 2013 or stay in the SFL. As this may effect your club, it would be interesting to see who has been told or if you got to vote on this. They want to field A's, B's, C's and D's as well as there junior teams in the Metro south/west comp. What are peoples thoughts?

Unless they are merging with some one in Div 3 or a club is folding I would be extremely disappointed if SAAFL let this competition hopping club start that high.Start in Div 6 and battle like the rest of us to get up the grades. They were in Div 1/2 and bailed so tough luck is what I think :shock:

Could not agree more TT. Think it would be appalling for the other clubs who have battled so hard, for many years and then to let a club in who have turned their back on the SAAFL before and went to various other leagues over many years. They have been in and out of the SAAFL many times, and deserve nothing. There are clubs in D4, D5, D6 and D7 who deserve far more, for their loyalty to the competition and think the SAAFL, would alienate these clubs if Brighton came into D3, without having earn't their stripes other than in a little piss ant league.

i do agree they have to earn there stripes BUT, what will happen if they go full strength into d7... No disrespect to the current top side but they'd smash them by plenty and smash the top d6 side aswell.... no one wants to see that...
But i also think if Brighton started in d7 heap of blokes would jump ship imo... i personally believe the league isn't that stupid to put them in d7... Adding a very strong club to the SAAFL is only good for business. If brighton come into the saafl it will bring $$$ and add to an already strong comp...
finally i reckon this won't go ahead, because the sfl surely wont let it and bring in 2 divs... I reckon if the sfl let brighton go, there comp is shot because if they go i reckon more will jump ship...
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3032 times
Been liked: 2406 times

Postby Yardy Lard » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:56 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:
Yardy Lard wrote:
TIRED TIGER wrote:

i do agree they have to earn there stripes BUT, what will happen if they go full strength into d7... No disrespect to the current top side but they'd smash them by plenty and smash the top d6 side aswell.... no one wants to see that...
But i also think if Brighton started in d7 heap of blokes would jump ship imo... i personally believe the league isn't that stupid to put them in d7... Adding a very strong club to the SAAFL is only good for business. If brighton come into the saafl it will bring $$$ and add to an already strong comp...
finally i reckon this won't go ahead, because the sfl surely wont let it and bring in 2 divs... I reckon if the sfl let brighton go, there comp is shot because if they go i reckon more will jump ship...

Yes good for business - agree, Can not argue with that point at all. That would be a bonus to the SAAFL, but the alienation of the clubs from D3 to D7 would be a major reason why I just could not ever think this happening. The Brighton Football Club would never go full strength into D7, as half the players or even more, would play for other SFL clubs, country or other amateur league clubs south of the city. They would not stay around to play D7. WOULD NEVER HAPPEN. Not even a discussion point and ridiculous to think their players would stay. Would be a disgrace and disrespectful to all the great clubs in D3 through to D7, who work so hard over the many years to EARN the right to be promoted and not be given a FREE passage through the grades. Surely integrity of the competition and the great clubs in those grades should be the major consideration.
Yardy Lard
Under 16s

Postby marbles » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:04 pm

if West Adelaide Bloods said they are sick of playing in SANFL and want to join SAAFL amatuer league should they be made to play in Div 7 lol
marbles
Assistant Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League