Biggest Finals Upsets

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: Biggest Finals Upsets

Postby morell » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:29 pm

Or a certain coach that doesn't play him in the right way or spot.

and careful you will have the CLG ninny-army calling you a troll soon.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1143 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby Q. » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:43 pm

morell wrote:Or a certain coach that doesn't play him in the right way or spot.

If I had a dollar every time time a forward said that when he couldn't get a kick..,.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby HH3 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:50 pm

Q. wrote:

If I had a dollar every time time a forward said that when he couldn't get a kick..,.

If you kick 100, you're surely playing around about the right spot. Whats he want? To play back pocket?
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby morell » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:02 pm

Q. wrote:

You'd have about 6 bucks mate. :lol:
morell
Coach

Postby morell » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:05 pm

HH3 wrote:If you kick 100, you're surely playing around about the right spot. Whats he want? To play back pocket?
I heard that he wanted to play more midfield as a bit of an injection, especially when they were getting beat in the middle, but was kept cold all day in the goal square.

I kind of agree, you put your best players where the ball is IMO, especially if you need something out of the box and extra especially (?) if they're struggling up forward. If you're getting beat in the guts having Lance Franklin at Full Forward won't win you the game.

This is all hearsay however.
morell
Coach

Postby HH3 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:15 pm

morell wrote:
HH3 wrote:If you kick 100, you're surely playing around about the right spot. Whats he want? To play back pocket?
I heard that he wanted to play more midfield as a bit of an injection, especially when they were getting beat in the middle, but was kept cold all day in the goal square.

I kind of agree, you put your best players where the ball is IMO, especially if you need something out of the box and extra especially (?) if they're struggling up forward. If you're getting beat in the guts having Lance Franklin at Full Forward won't win you the game.

Kept cold in the goal square? When I saw him play, he sat around CHF 90% of the day.

Coach is there to coach, players there to do what the coach tells him to do. If you can't follow instructions, and wanna play your own game, don't play team sports.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby Q. » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:15 pm

"My opponent is beating me, move me into the middle" is basically what you're saying morell ;)
Q.
Coach

Postby morell » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:44 pm

If the ball isnt going down there enough, it's hard to beat your opponent, unless you talking about them having a private game of naughts and crosses in the dirt. Full forwards are fully reliant on their midfield winning the ball.

I think if you're best, star, game turning gun is getting beat by his opponent or struggling to get enough supply. Put him in the guts and see what happens. Especially if you're going to dwindle down and lose anyway.

Just like Coach of the Year John Longmire does with Franklin.
morell
Coach

Postby morell » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:45 pm

HH3 wrote:
morell wrote:

Kept cold in the goal square? When I saw him play, he sat around CHF 90% of the day.

Coach is there to coach, players there to do what the coach tells him to do. If you can't follow instructions, and wanna play your own game, don't play team sports.
Sorry, this story was from the year before in the Granny.

... and coaches should not be dictators to get the best out of a team IMO, they need to be people managers as much as tacticians.
morell
Coach

Postby Q. » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:59 pm

morell wrote:If the ball isnt going down there enough, it's hard to beat your opponent, unless you talking about them having a private game of naughts and crosses in the dirt. Full forwards are fully reliant on their midfield winning the ball.

I think if you're best, star, game turning gun is getting beat by his opponent or struggling to get enough supply. Put him in the guts and see what happens. Especially if you're going to dwindle down and lose anyway.

Lance Franklin is a freak, hardly comparable.

morell wrote:... and coaches should not be dictators to get the best out of a team IMO, they need to be people managers as much as tacticians.

And a team shouldn't revolve around sooky-la-la forwards
Q.
Coach

Postby HH3 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:08 pm

morell wrote:
HH3 wrote:
morell wrote:

Sorry, this story was from the year before in the Granny.

Players shouldn't dictate where they play. No matter how good they are. Once you undermine a coach by letting it happen, its the end of any sort of success you might have. It might also explain a few things if this did happen during finals in the last two seasons.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby jaykay13 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:25 pm

morell wrote:

No where near CLG's best midfielder - can't run due to a chronic injury. 247 goals in two years suggests he is a forward. Your spies talk rubbish Morrell - fair idea where you hear all this rubbish.
jaykay13
Mini-League

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 6 times

Postby morell » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:58 pm

Well it was a from a very astute football person who was at the game, hardly a "spy".

I get Harvey's best spot is at full forward. I also understand he has OP. For **** sake jaykay I've played on the bloke, I know what hes capable of.

I also understand you lost clearance after clearance out of the middle to bigger bodied and more experienced midfielders. To me, it would have been a waste having Harvey in the goal square given this scenario. This was one of the big criticisms of the coach during those games. That he didn't react and change to the game unfolding.

Just my opinion though, football tactics and positioning could be debated ad infinitum.
morell
Coach

Postby morell » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:44 pm

HH3 wrote:Players shouldn't dictate where they play. No matter how good they are. Once you undermine a coach by letting it happen, its the end of any sort of success you might have.
I think this could very well be an addition to morell's football myths!! :D :D
morell
Coach

Postby morell » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:47 pm

Q. wrote:
morell wrote:If the ball isnt going down there enough, it's hard to beat your opponent, unless you talking about them having a private game of naughts and crosses in the dirt. Full forwards are fully reliant on their midfield winning the ball.

Lance Franklin is a freak, hardly comparable.
Within the context of Division 6 football, and Harvey's influence on the game, I think it is.

We've done similar with Luke Mac on occasion.

Q. wrote:
morell wrote:... and coaches should not be dictators to get the best out of a team IMO, they need to be people managers as much as tacticians.

Nor over controlling and manic coaches.
morell
Coach

Postby HH3 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:51 pm

morell wrote:
Nor over controlling and manic coaches.[/quote]

A coaches first responsibility is to take control.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby morell » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:09 pm

Really? I think it should be to win
morell
Coach

Postby jaykay13 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:23 pm

morell wrote:Well it was a from a very astute football person who was at the game, hardly a "spy".

I get Harvey's best spot is at full forward. I also understand he has OP. For **** sake jaykay I've played on the bloke, I know what hes capable of.

I also understand you lost clearance after clearance out of the middle to bigger bodied and more experienced midfielders. To me, it would have been a waste having Harvey in the goal square given this scenario. This was one of the big criticisms of the coach during those games. That he didn't react and change to the game unfolding.

Just my opinion though, football tactics and positioning could be debated ad infinitum.

He couldn't move, hence why he wasn't on for the last quarter, both the number 1 and number 2 ruckmen were out injured and we outscored them in the last quarter. Even Sherwood told us he was worried when we got within a couple of goals in the last. Moves were made - not many teams have bigger bodied midfields in the league and Harvey was held goalless anyway. Your spy obviously wasnt watching.
jaykay13
Mini-League

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 6 times

Postby Q. » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:30 pm

morell wrote:Really? I think it should be to win

A coach's responsibility is to keep the players who don't like him away from the players who haven't made their mind up whether they like him.
Q.
Coach

Postby HH3 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:34 pm

morell wrote:Really? I think it should be to win

oh yeah my bad. coaches dont need to come up with successful structures and make sure they're carried out.

before games coaches just need to walk in and tell the players to win, and watch the magic happen. easy.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League