HFL Division 1 (Central)

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: HFL Division 1 (Central)

Postby youngpace » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:14 am

Afterthesiren wrote:Another predictable season in Div 1. Only 3 clubs were ever in the running for the A grade flag. The other 6 clubs were just playing footy with no realistic chance of success. That has to tear at the heart and soul of any club. Clearly the points system and salary cap aren't working. The money spent by some of these clubs just to be competitive in Div 1 would be doing more harm than good and could possibly end some clubs... and for what!
Some will argue they have a good bunch of kids coming through but it won't be enough because you can guarantee Hahndorf and Blackwood will have that coming through three fold. Most of the Div 1 clubs are struggling to keep their heads above water and will likely never win a premiership with the competition in its current state.

Torrens Valley could well have been a top three side and it is a bit surprising how far Loby fell away.
You are making a whole lot of doom and gloom noise, which will be entirely contradicted if Uris take out the flag this year.
The Dees finished 6th (3rd) from bottom but had some really tight games against Blackwood. Very tight comp, with The Dorf sitting well on top.
Country Div seems to be breathing much needed fresh air as a result of renewed conection with "div 1" clubs.
HFL is the goods!
youngpace
Rookie

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Afterthesiren » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:56 pm

I guess if your club is willing to part with incredible amounts of money on the off chance it might snag a flag against the odds and at the expense of club culture then by all means tear away at the foundations your club was likely built on.
And Uraidla will not win the flag this year. You'd be better off betting on that than gambling sponsorship, fundraiser and membership money on an unrealistic attempt at a Div 1 flag.
Afterthesiren
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time

Postby teamdefense2017 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:03 pm

Thats a pretty defeatist attitude. If you had of said before round 18 who was flag favourite, Uraidla were certainly in the conversation. Not to mention the fact that they have been in the finals for how many years in a row now?? I don't know for a fact but i think they have done that on the back of really smart recruiting and what appears to be a really strong club culture.

I would also remind you that the last team before Hahndorf to win a flag was Echunga,
teamdefense2017

Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Yellow & Black » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:16 pm

Can't see Hahndorf getting stronger next year. Their player point allocation will drop based on 2014 results no longer factored in (Dorf finished bottom). Maggies used 11/11 on Sat and "if" Darcy (0pts) or any other star walks next season, they prob won't have the pts to actively play new recruits. Still the measuring stick but surely that gives rival clubs hope. Blackwood n Uri's will no doubt be challenging again.

If Onkas get a good coach n manage to keep their list together, I'm tipping they'll be big improvers. Also, Lobey played with 0/11pts this season, their allocation will blow out to 13-15pts meaning they could pick up 4 or 5 recruits which should see them be competitive again, that's if they don't get relegated.
Yellow & Black

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Broadview

Postby teamdefense2017 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:56 am

Some good points yandb but some pretty big ifs also.
If onkas get a good coach???
If lobey get 5 players???
If Hourigan leaves Hahndorf???
teamdefense2017

Postby SecretInformant » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:08 pm

teamdefense2017 wrote:Some good points yandb but some pretty big ifs also.
If onkas get a good coach???
If lobey get 5 players???
If Hourigan leaves Hahndorf???

Shannon returning to the SANFL?
SecretInformant

Been liked: 4 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Lofty

Postby youngpace » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:12 pm

Afterthesiren wrote:I guess if your club is willing to part with incredible amounts of money on the off chance it might snag a flag against the odds and at the expense of club culture then by all means tear away at the foundations your club was likely built on.
And Uraidla will not win the flag this year. You'd be better off betting on that than gambling sponsorship, fundraiser and membership money on an unrealistic attempt at a Div 1 flag.

I would hope my club is always chasing the chance to snag a flag, its the ultimate goal in footy. Having a semi professional list does not necessarily mean detriment to club culture. I get your point, you don't like the amount of money in footy at this level.
No one would disagree with Handorf being the best footy side currently but nothing is impossible.

Exactly the footy will undoubtedly be great again in the next few years. The point about Hahndorf perhaps having hit a ceiling is a real good one. And injuries can change thing very quickly! ie. Dorf 2014 and Echunga 2016
youngpace
Rookie

Postby youngpace » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:12 pm

Afterthesiren wrote:I guess if your club is willing to part with incredible amounts of money on the off chance it might snag a flag against the odds and at the expense of club culture then by all means tear away at the foundations your club was likely built on.

I would hope my club is always chasing the chance to snag a flag, its the ultimate goal in footy. Having a semi professional list does not necessarily mean detriment to club culture. I get your point, you don't like the amount of money in footy at this level.
No one would disagree with Handorf being the best footy side currently but nothing is impossible.

Exactly the footy will undoubtedly be great again in the next few years. The point about Hahndorf perhaps having hit a ceiling is a real good one. And injuries can change thing very quickly! ie. Dorf 2014 and Echunga 2016
youngpace
Rookie

Postby teamdefense2017 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:41 pm

But doesn't the salary cap mean that each team can only spend a certain amount each week?
Are you suggesting that some teams aren't following the rules of the cap?
teamdefense2017

Postby youngpace » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:40 pm

I think you have assumed After The Sirens statement of "incredible amounts of money" meant beyond the $3500 the cap allows.

No one had yet suggested over payment. Though such suggestions are sure to follow now you have taken the conversation that way.
youngpace
Rookie

Postby teamdefense2017 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:29 am

Well youngpace I guess i did assume if he is talking about very large sums of money he must mean above the cap.
If everyone has to pay the same amount, and there is a maximum that any one player can get, isn't that then a pretty level playing field?

I guess my next question is would all clubs be paying to the cap?
teamdefense2017

Postby teamdefense2017 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:10 am

So who is the tip for the big Preliminary Final.
Evenly matched i reckon, but maybe Blackwood just for mine.

Can either of them beat Hahndorf the following week?
teamdefense2017

Postby batmanbegins » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:17 pm

teamdefense2017 wrote:Well youngpace I guess i did assume if he is talking about very large sums of money he must mean above the cap.
If everyone has to pay the same amount, and there is a maximum that any one player can get, isn't that then a pretty level playing field?

I guess my next question is would all clubs be paying to the cap?

God no. Hahndorf have Jaensch, hourigan, shannon, wittwer, hankin boys plus all the locals they pay. People can argue that they are under the cap but i find it very hard to believe. There in no way to monitor payments properly its just the way it is. I just used hahndrof as an example but im sure alot of clubs would be finding other means to beat the system.
batmanbegins
Reserves

Been liked: 189 times

Postby BurntToast » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:52 am

teamdefense2017 wrote:So who is the tip for the big Preliminary Final.
Evenly matched i reckon, but maybe Blackwood just for mine.

Can either of them beat Hahndorf the following week?

I think we (Blackwood) can match it with best if we bring and play our best footy on the day. The lads learnt a lot when Hahndorf rolled us a couple of weeks ago, should be a cracker game!
BurntToast

Has liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Blackwood

Postby teamdefense2017 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:53 am

So it all comes down to this.
Tips for the grand final?
teamdefense2017

Postby oldbomber » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:45 pm

Hahndorf will Win.

If its close its because hahndorf allow it to be close. No other team on their best day beats the maggie$ on their worst day with the li$t they have. Other teams just made up the numbers this year. That said its up to other teams to catch up to them over the off season. Dont get bitter. Get better.
oldbomber
Rookie

Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 33 times

Postby cracka » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:10 pm

oldbomber wrote:Hahndorf will Win.

If its close its because hahndorf allow it to be close. No other team on their best day beats the maggie$ on their worst day with the li$t they have. Other teams just made up the numbers this year. That said its up to other teams to catch up to them over the off season. Dont get bitter. Get better.

Onkas did.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 468 times
Been liked: 584 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby oldbomber » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:12 pm

cracka wrote:
oldbomber wrote:Hahndorf will Win.

Onkas did.

True but not in a game that matters or meant anything. Saturday matters!
oldbomber
Rookie

Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 33 times

Postby teamdefense2017 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:31 am

any other tips for tomorrow?

For me Hahndorf to win.
teamdefense2017

Postby SecretInformant » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:39 am

teamdefense2017 wrote:any other tips for tomorrow?

For me Hahndorf to win.

Reckon the wide expanses of Lobethal Oval will help the Woods out. If they can Hourigan quiet I think a boil over could be on the cards. Woods by 11 points.
SecretInformant

Been liked: 4 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Lofty

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy