Gavin WANGANEEN

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: Gavin WANGANEEN

Postby westcoastpanther » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:45 pm

Not blaming Longies at all, questioning the man himself. Why come out with 4 games to go? He must have felt rather sheepish, surely?????
Hi, My name is Ron 'Bluey' Dunn. Did you know I played in the 61 & 62 Tasman Premiership sides....
westcoastpanther
Coach

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 150 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby GWW » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:53 pm

westcoastpanther wrote:Not blaming Longies at all, questioning the man himself. Why come out with 4 games to go? He must have felt rather sheepish, surely?????

I dont see a big deal at all here, the end decision on whether or not he played would be with the club. I'm sure Gavin wouldn't have been desperate to play, but no doubt would have been pestered to play until he gave in.

I'm 100% certain that playing alongside Wanganeen would have been a career highlight for all his teammates. Would be huge infact. Would be a huge deal for the club and the league as well, particularly as this is a small community that can no doubt do with all the positves that it can get.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby torp » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:51 pm

8 goals - when did he play last? not a bad effort! to good to be in that comp :lol:
torp

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby tigertalk » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:25 am

Gavin has actually been out to quite a few longies games this year and has showed alot of interest. The obvious reason playing along side Cocky again and the fact he has a few mates out there. Is that not why most blokes play......... to play with their mates???? :roll: Of course it is, Gavin has nothing to prove or gain from it. The club certainly didnt pester him either and was only excited by the fact that he was keen to play. Im sure for the teammates he played with and even the guys he played against on the day, playing with or against Gav will be a highlight of their careers.
tigertalk
Mini-League

Postby silicone skyline » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:48 am

westcoastpanther wrote:What a hero!! Comes in a month out from finals when the worst of the weather is over and the hard work has been done. Will just qualify and oust some young lad who's done the yards on those cold winters nights. WAP!!!!!

Yepper, WCP, agree with you.
If any other clubs out there are like mine, our senior training started January 10!!
Running down the beach with sandbags, triathlons, the works.
I think clubs have to look at a long term view with that.
Win the premiership one year, lose a good player for the next ten years to help with more success.
Do Longies really need him?
Gun tho.
Ruthless and Relentless
silicone skyline
Coach

Postby leftriteout » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:57 am

silicone skyline wrote:
westcoastpanther wrote:What a hero!! Comes in a month out from finals when the worst of the weather is over and the hard work has been done. Will just qualify and oust some young lad who's done the yards on those cold winters nights. WAP!!!!!

If any other clubs out there are like mine, our senior training started January 10!!
Win the premiership one year, lose a good player for the next ten years to help with more success.
Gun tho.

valid points there SS.
however, what is the difference between him any any other "import"
you hope these blokes hang around for ever, but not all of them do.
if you have a club that is using all import spots every week, only an import can miss out.

but i dont see him playing again, think it was one match to keep his mates happy.
only time will tell....
leftriteout

Postby tigertalk » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:55 pm

silicone skyline wrote:

Gun tho.

You blokes are unreal. :roll:
The bloke would have been through more tougher pre seasons than any of you would have done between you all.
Noones missing out cause Gavins playing, an import got badly injured against Virginia which left a spot.
From what i can see no longies dont need him, but hey, the club will take him because they can. :D
tigertalk
Mini-League

Postby silicone skyline » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:57 pm

It's well and good he's playing, he has a right to.
I hated him as a player coz he wasn't on my team by he's a brownlow medallist FFS, lol, you wouldn't leave him out.
At the end of the day, you can't satisfy everyone, just being careful with who you upset is the key, surely the supporters would want him in ...
Ruthless and Relentless
silicone skyline
Coach

Postby tigertalk » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:09 pm

At the end of the day its great for grass roots footy. For footy lovers to go to a local game and being able to watch a superstar whether it be Wanganeen, Modra or any player who has played AFL playing for their club where you can get up close to them (not just restricted as far as the fence) is great for footy. The blokes sign autographs for the kids, have photos and talk to supporters which is great. All i can say is hey if it puts smiles on peoples faces its worth the while. Thats everyone involved, any team.
tigertalk
Mini-League

Postby torp » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:54 pm

and next year ? up close and personal in the barossa league maybe,$$$$$$$$$$$$$ salary cap here .don't u have one? :shock: . 4 lease ex afl players just bring your cheque book, :wink:
torp

Postby FootyMad » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:33 pm

tigertalk wrote:Gavin has actually been out to quite a few longies games this year and has showed alot of interest. The obvious reason playing along side Cocky again and the fact he has a few mates out there. Is that not why most blokes play......... to play with their mates???? :roll: Of course it is, Gavin has nothing to prove or gain from it. The club certainly didnt pester him either and was only excited by the fact that he was keen to play. Im sure for the teammates he played with and even the guys he played against on the day, playing with or against Gav will be a highlight of their careers.

TT mate your right on the money, Gav is still undecided on playing out the year and wants to see how the body pulls up before committing week in week out. Other than that he couldnt afford to play many any earlier as he had some big committments. Love the situation or not he isnt in it to for sheep stations nor personal glory - for god sake the bloke pushed back hi entrance into the hall of fame by playing! It can also be noted while he was paid well for the game its not about the money either as he does alright.
Boys I reckon its great for country footy to have these blokes having a kick!
FootyMad
League Bench Warmer

Postby wedge tail » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:21 pm

Maybe this week he can donate his services to a div 7 club who prides itself on sticking with each other but gets smashed by 40 goals each week. :wink:
wedge tail

Postby ORDoubleBlues » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:22 pm

FootyMad wrote:Boys I reckon its great for country footy to have these blokes having a kick!

It's certainly been good for the Hills country comp to have the likes of Brett and Roger James, Michael Raidis and Troy Bond play in it this year.

Did see Shane Bond and Gavin Wanganeen in the Macclesfield hotel earlier in the year and they seemed to be in a reasonably serious discussion at the time with the people that they were with. Not sure why they were there, probably just on the way back from somewhere else.
R.I.P. Patrice Lumumba 1925 - 1961
ORDoubleBlues
League - Top 5

Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Macclesfield

Postby FootyMad » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:17 pm

They were'nt there for maccy, they would've been in the hills watching cally I'd reckon, they still have ties there as the Bond boys close mate coaches cally.
FootyMad
League Bench Warmer

Postby malleebull » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:55 pm

maybe hughes constructions can buy gav for next year at torrens valley. he is can afford anything
A HAND IN THE DARK HAS NO GENDER
malleebull
Under 18s

Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Callington

Postby tigertalk » Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:20 am

No Wanganeen for United this week in the line ups. Probably disappointing for all of us fans. :(
It was still great to see him out there in the black and gold last week and see the great one in action. Hopefully he returns back next week. :)
tigertalk
Mini-League

Postby ORDoubleBlues » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:14 pm

malleebull wrote:maybe hughes constructions can buy gav for next year at torrens valley. he is can afford anything

Or perhaps for Lobethal?
R.I.P. Patrice Lumumba 1925 - 1961
ORDoubleBlues
League - Top 5

Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Macclesfield

Postby FootyMad » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:17 pm

It can be safely said that Gavin will not be playing football in South Australia next season.
FootyMad
League Bench Warmer

Postby eagles23 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:52 pm

FootyMad wrote:It can be safely said that Gavin will not be playing football in South Australia next season.

Correct he is moving to Victoria in a couple of months or so.
eagles23

Grassroots Team: McLaren

Postby GWW » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:55 pm

Can anyone elaborate on this? Is it to take up an assistant coaching position with Essendon?
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy