Representative Football

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: Representative Football

Postby Hills » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:45 pm

[quote="silicone skyline"]Micky, take it from a 19-year-old midfielder who represented both his association at Mortlock Shield and zone in State Country Championships this season just passed.
I love playing rep footy, but it definitely takes a toll on your body.
I developed stress related back problems that affected my adductors, which saw me miss four games of our last eight, and i suffered with severe crippling fatigue despite constant sessions of rehab.
I carried this into our grand final, and after being dominant all year, my side lost.
So the question for me now isn't am i sacrificing pride for money if i don't play, it's asking me if it might just cost me my first ever A grade premiership, i have no doubts that this year it did.[/quote]

6 seconds to go............
Once you go black, your in a wheelchair.
Hills
Reserves

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby steiger » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:46 pm

Grape Ape wrote:SS, I have no doubt that you are vastly more qualified than Micky to judge the relationship between rep footy and premierships but do you really think that a fit SS would have made all the difference? 19 and already using your frail body as an excuse… Maybe if you’d gone fly fishing on those weekends you’d have your medal…

Anyway, Isn’t it the case that in most leagues the week off is for the purpose of rep footy? ie no rep footy = no week off? And if the league doesn’t schedule a week of for rep footy we’d all be playing anyway? In my experience rep footy is faster and of a higher skill level, more free flowing but generally without the physicality of hard tags and negative match ups that the better players in a local league experience each week. The majority of players return to their local clubs better for the experience and definitely fitter than their lazy mates who ‘needed a week off’. So if you really need a week off you’d take it when you need it.

The point I am trying to make is that the old risk of injury excuse just doesn’t stack up. Why are you more likely to get injured in rep footy? If there is no rep footy then you’d be playing anyway. Is there more honour in pulling a string for your local club? That excuse is for player’s who prefer to a big fish in a small pond and are afraid that rep footy will reveal that they really aren’t that good when forced to play on better opposition. Or they are just to lazy to attend the extra training sessions. Rep footy is the closest thing to finals that guys from lower ranked clubs will experience and a fantastic dress rehearsal for the blokes who will be playing finals. BRING BACK THE LOVELOCK SHEILD!!

:supz:
steiger
League - Best 21

Postby BJ Ernest » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:04 pm

SS i think u may find that the week of association footy doesnt hurt ur body anymore than ur regular game. In fact i agree with Grape Ape in saying that its probably easier as there are no tags, the skills are cleaner all over the ground which means less hard contests and the footy not on the ground as often so lessening the amount of packs.

Ive played in the last 4 zone carnivals for Southern Districts and it definitely takes a toll on your body. The format is hard on the body but very rewarding due to the mates u make from ur zone and others! The standard of the footy on those trips is great and the contest brings ur game to a higher level for when u get back to ur club football.

Have a week off after it and let ur body rest as im sure if ur side can make the GF u can afford 1 week off during the season. At 19 u should be able to play footy all year round without feeling sore.
BJ Ernest
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times
Grassroots Team: Willunga

Postby Micky Conlan » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:15 pm

Grape Ape just 1 question....is the MONKEY OFF YA BACK!!!!!
"lifes a game of inches, inch by inch, play by play"
Micky Conlan
Under 16s

Postby Grape Ape » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:18 pm

THE MONKEY'S OFF MY BACK MICKY!!!!!!
"Never let the truth get in the way of a good story"
Grape Ape
Under 18s

Been liked: 1 time

Postby silicone skyline » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:31 am

Grape Ape wrote:SS, I have no doubt that you are vastly more qualified than Micky to judge the relationship between rep footy and premierships but do you really think that a fit SS would have made all the difference? 19 and already using your frail body as an excuse… Maybe if you’d gone fly fishing on those weekends you’d have your medal…

Well mate, yeah i really do think i would have made the difference.
I was making the difference.
I was making a difference all year.
That is why i led the B & F count till rep footy, and didn't poll a vote after that.
Still finished fourth mind you, it's there in the stats.

Grape Ape wrote: The point I am trying to make is that the old risk of injury excuse just doesn’t stack up. Why are you more likely to get injured in rep footy? If there is no rep footy then you’d be playing anyway. Is there more honour in pulling a string for your local club? That excuse is for player’s who prefer to a big fish in a small pond and are afraid that rep footy will reveal that they really aren’t that good when forced to play on better opposition. Or they are just to lazy to attend the extra training sessions. Rep footy is the closest thing to finals that guys from lower ranked clubs will experience and a fantastic dress rehearsal for the blokes who will be playing finals. BRING BACK THE LOVELOCK SHEILD!!

You are more likely to get injured in rep footy than if you're not playing football at all.
I attended the training sessions.
I put in the hard yards.
I played.
I got injured.
I've got the rep guernseys.
I was rested for club games after in rehab.
I'm a payed player on a low income with a mortgage to pay.
I played in a losing grand final we should have won.
What is the overall loss here?
Will i play rep footy again?
Of course.
I just think there is more merit than you think in why players don't play it as much anymore.
It's easy to sit there and judge them all, i think they should all have a right in saying they don't want to play if they don't want to.
Ruthless and Relentless
silicone skyline
Coach

Postby silicone skyline » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:38 am

BJ Ernest wrote:SS i think u may find that the week of association footy doesnt hurt ur body anymore than ur regular game. In fact i agree with Grape Ape in saying that its probably easier as there are no tags, the skills are cleaner all over the ground which means less hard contests and the footy not on the ground as often so lessening the amount of packs.

Ive played in the last 4 zone carnivals for Southern Districts and it definitely takes a toll on your body. The format is hard on the body but very rewarding due to the mates u make from ur zone and others! The standard of the footy on those trips is great and the contest brings ur game to a higher level for when u get back to ur club football.

Have a week off after it and let ur body rest as im sure if ur side can make the GF u can afford 1 week off during the season. At 19 u should be able to play footy all year round without feeling sore.

Mate, i played TWO sets off rep footy, Mortlock and Country Champs.
I played every game.
I've never had to miss more than one game in a season before.
Why assume that I believe rep footy injured me?
I'm saying it did my body more harm than good.
I loved playing both.
But if i hadn't, i really think i would have been better off health wise.
Experience wise, i have no doubts rep footy is brilliant.
Ruthless and Relentless
silicone skyline
Coach

Postby Grape Ape » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:34 pm

silicone skyline wrote:
Well mate, yeah i really do think i would have made the difference.
I was making the difference.
I was making a difference all year.
That is why i led the B & F count till rep footy, and didn't poll a vote after that.
Still finished fourth mind you, it's there in the stats.

I would be interested to know if your team mates share your high opinion of yourself.

And here's a free tip:

You know those old blokes, back at the club on Saturday nights, who come up to you, put their arm around you and tell you how good you are?

They're doing that to everyone.
"Never let the truth get in the way of a good story"
Grape Ape
Under 18s

Been liked: 1 time

Postby silicone skyline » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:38 am

Haha!
Oh yeah, I know.
But they come back twice to me. :lol:
Tell me grape ape, is there anything wrong with knowing that you make a huge difference when you're on the field.
Is there something wrong with realising you're own personal success and actually feeling good about your performance?
It's not why i play, but i know when i've played well and when i've been pretty average.
So please go play hide-and-go-fk-urself.
Thankyou
Ruthless and Relentless
silicone skyline
Coach

Postby Andy #24 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:00 am

silicone skyline wrote:Haha!
Oh yeah, I know.
Tell me grape ape, is there anything wrong with knowing that you make a huge difference when you're on the field.
Is there something wrong with realising you're own personal success and actually feeling good about your performance?
It's not why i play, but i know when i've played well and when i've been pretty average.
Thankyou

Hey SS I'm a gun too! We should start our own team and call in the Gunners. Invite Deuter along, he's pretty good at talking about himself and the good old days in the sixties. Soon will have an arthritic jaw to match his knees.
Andy #24
Under 18s

Postby silicone skyline » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:34 am

Haha.
Classic.
Poor Des.
He's a good bloke tho.
Ruthless and Relentless
silicone skyline
Coach

Postby silicone skyline » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:35 am

And for the record, never said i was a gun, i said i had been playing well.
I was in good form.
Was .... past tense. :lol:
Ruthless and Relentless
silicone skyline
Coach

Postby BJ Ernest » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:56 am

silicone skyline wrote:Haha!
Oh yeah, I know.
Thankyou

SS i think you would enjoy playing with Grape Ape as he might shade you for ability, on and off the field.

Theres nothing wrong with thinking your good, enjoying your own company whilst your in the shower looking in the mirror blowing kisses to yourself but you're never really that good if you need to tell people you are. They will tell you!

Coming on to a forum and openly discussing how good you think you are really doesnt work.

So how bout you tag Grape Ape out of that game and go play it yourself.
BJ Ernest
League - Best 21

Postby silicone skyline » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:05 am

Ok, i never said i thought i was good.
My references were towards my form, and how well i was playing.
I never said i was better than Grape Ape, i never suggested i was better than anyone for that matter.
Read the posts.
In honesty, I don't think i'm very talented at all, i burn the ball as much as anyone.
But, i know i was playing well.
That's all i said.
Why you guys convert that into saying that i think i'm awesome i don't know.
My point from the beginning was i was playing well, locally, i took that form to Rep footy.
Got injured, and was unable to recapture it.
Until you understand that, you will continue to be the apt reflection of a twat who goes about looking to start shit.
Enjoy.
Ruthless and Relentless
silicone skyline
Coach

Postby silicone skyline » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:06 am

BJ Ernest wrote:Ive played in the last 4 zone carnivals for Southern Districts and it definitely takes a toll on your body. The format is hard on the body but very rewarding due to the mates u make from ur zone and others! The standard of the footy on those trips is great and the contest brings ur game to a higher level for when u get back to ur club football.

That's where you did ok, why you had to take anything further is beyond me.
Ruthless and Relentless
silicone skyline
Coach

Postby Andy #24 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:24 am

Humour aside, I like SS giving out his opinions, they are actually well reasoned. Who on here hasn't tried to let slip that they are a gun at footy. The difference is SS is probably decent having played zone footy compared to the other hacks on here who like talking crap.

Des is a good bloke. I wonder about the standard in Whyalla though, he says he still goes well even hobbling around. He is very smart and strong though and will make a great coach when he stops chasing money around the country into dotage. Will probably demand $500 a game in the over 50's comp next year!
Andy #24
Under 18s

Postby silicone skyline » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:30 am

You're right, he is a good bloke and a good teacher.
His Grand Final was a shocker. :lol:
He would know that.
His knees have been giving him trouble for a while.
And can coach, i think he's done it before.
Can still kick bags of eight and nine on no legs, but our team we had really helped him out.
Smart enough to use his body well, but just too slow now.
Still strong as an ox.
He had a brilliant season last year, but this year was tough on him.
Ruthless and Relentless
silicone skyline
Coach

Postby BJ Ernest » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:35 am

Oh if only i could be accepted rather than being a 'twat'.

You get picked to play Rep footy as you are in good form and warrant selection. You play zone because you play well in association. I am always disappointed when guys deny the opportunity to play either of these (assoication or zone) because its some of the best experiences ive personally had as a footballer.

Its in the posts where you say, i was making the difference! Hence where people are going to think 'hes pretty keen on how he goes'. Thats where people jump on and have a go.

Pretty simple solution, Dont play rep footy then theres no excuses. No Fatigue, no rehab just win the GF and be done with it. I congratulate you on your success and see your point of view, but try not to pump the tyres so hard.

Andy im not sure on the footy you play, if you do? But the guys voicing there opinions have also played every standard of footy SS has mentioned and are more than qualified to speak on the matter.
BJ Ernest
League - Best 21

Postby silicone skyline » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:47 am

BJ Ernest wrote:You get picked to play Rep footy as you are in good form and warrant selection. You play zone because you play well in association. I am always disappointed when guys deny the opportunity to play either of these (assoication or zone) because its some of the best experiences ive personally had as a footballer.

As was I, but now I see there is more to it than just personal vendettas against rep footy, there are other partie's interests at hand to take into consideration.

BJ Ernest wrote: Its in the posts where you say, i was making the difference! Hence where people are going to think 'hes pretty keen on how he goes'. Thats where people jump on and have a go.

That was in reference to the grand final, i played most of the first half, and played well.
To this day i don't know why i missed most of the last half.
That wasn't to say i'm awesome, it was saying the team was going better when i was on the field playing well.

BJ Ernest wrote: Pretty simple solution, Dont play rep footy then theres no excuses. No Fatigue, no rehab just win the GF and be done with it. I congratulate you on your success and see your point of view, but try not to pump the tyres so hard.

Try not to jump to conclusions and take things extremely out of context.
I said i enjoy rep footy, and will play again, but i understand why people don't.

BJ Ernest wrote:Andy im not sure on the footy you play, if you do? But the guys voicing there opinions have also played every standard of footy SS has mentioned and are more than qualified to speak on the matter.

And i never discounted ANYONE's credibility or footballing qualifications.
But MY credibility was questioned, and accused of loving myself, just for suggesting that i was making a difference on the field.
Ruthless and Relentless
silicone skyline
Coach

Postby Andy #24 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:03 pm

SS was using his own experience to make his point about rep footy screwing some people over. Yes it did make himself sound arrogant, but it is just a different degree of what everyone does in here to boast about themselves. Yes you can justify saying you've played 4 zone carnivals to qualify yourself to talk on the subject, but don't pretend you don't want everyone to think you're a gun. I like SS talking shit cause its funny and keeps everyone else entertained, but didn't mean my comment to aimed at specific people. However I will say you are crap. I play in the city so have never played zone
Andy #24
Under 18s

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy