Country Footy News

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Country Footy News

Postby Brad » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:20 pm

Former Fitzroy player at South

The South Clare Sports Club has announced its new senior club football coach for the 2007 season – former Fitzroy and North Adelaide player Bill Lokan.

Mr Lokan brings his past experience in the AFL, SANFL and Barossa and Light Football League to the club, playing for Fitzroy in the 1983, '84 and '86 finals series.

"I have been very lucky to have played under some great coaches such as Barry Robran, who really inspired me to play footy, as well as Mick Noonan, Robert Walls and David Parkin," Mr Lokan said.

"They had enormous influence on my football development and the development of my character."

Mr Lokan said, in all the clubs he had played at they all had a common thread – the inclusion and great emphasis on the family side of club.

"Which is something I want to continue on with at South Clare," he said.

"I see that football, netball and sport in general are so important to local communities and am really looking forward to developing this aspect in the local community."

Mr Lokan sees his role as coach as providing an environment where all players, both senior and junior, are given every chance to develop as footballers and people, and if they are prepared to work hard there would be plenty of exciting opportunities at South Clare.

"A personal mantra of mine is developing the junior side of things at the club which will complement the senior aspect while giving us a long term future."

Although he and his family have lived in the district for 15 years, and he is currently a local teacher, Mr Lokan has preferred to take a low key involvement in football since his retirement as a player.

"But a little flame has always been there – and it's been gently fanned in the past few weeks," he said.

"I coached in the Barossa and Light Association in 1995 and have spent time observing. I have been involved in the Clare community in the teaching aspect and I feel it is an opportunity to give something back to the town.

"I hope to change a lot of the culture of the club from top to bottom."

South Clare football director Peter Vandeleur said the club was pleased to welcome Mr Lokan, as they had been keen to attract a club coach who would focus on the long term development of the sport.

"The whole club needs to be taken to the next level," Mr Vandeleur said.

"Bill is a great fit for our club – and he brings a wealth of experience with him."
Brad
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: Crystal Brook

Postby wal65 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:44 pm

I've been lurking here for a little while now but at last, there is some North Eastern footy to talk about.

Good appointment for South BUT!!!!!

This club have some serious issues both on and off field and I think he would have his work cut out to keep all the massive egos there in check. It really showed on Grand Final day when things went bad.

BLYTH/SNOWTOWN NEFL PREMIERS 2006, 2007?
wal65
Rookie

Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Blyth-Snowtown

Postby Brad » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:22 pm

Yep South Clare have some very big heads in that side remember playing them in trial matches in the mid 90's.

What happened to the South Clare coach from this year?

Blyth/Snowtown, any news on player losses/gains for next year? Id Ryan Darling training at Sturt?

Any other NEFL news?
Brad
League - Best 21

Postby dinglinga » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:29 pm

how did ricky o'loughlin go this year ???
dinglinga
League - Best 21

Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby The Gimp » Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:58 am

Birdwood FC, playing in Hills Central Division (Div. 1), are looking for an A grade playing assistant coach and/or ruckmen for season 2007.

PM for more info.

Pre-season starts Wed 15 Nov at 6.45pm at the Birdwood oval for any interested.
The Gimp
Reserves

Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: Birdwood

Postby The Indian » Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:28 pm

Who Coached South clare this year fellas?? If it was Dave Evans he was recently appointed coach of Reynella Football club in the southern league. What sort of a coach would he be and would he take players with him??
The Indian
Under 16s

Been liked: 6 times
Grassroots Team: Meadows

North Eastern Footy

Postby wal65 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:11 pm

News of what I've heard so far:

BSR: Nothing. Most of them are more worried about cricket

BBH: Also nothing but when something does happen it will be on the front page of the Northern Argus. The football writer lives in Burra.

RSMU: Very quiet (a bit of a worry). Dont think Brian Leys is coaching them but I've heard they are getting some players back from the Eagles (except Zac Heir) and they are cashed up with cheque books open

Min/Man: Also very quiet. Usually don't here much from them until after vintage. Sam Schmidt has left to go to Sydney with his brother who plays at the Swans. Tim Goodwin (Simon's brother) still coaching them at the moment

Eudunda: Pretty much the same as last year. Stephen Carter and Brayden Lyle are supposed to be coming back. Trying to get Callum Rhode back from Tanunda.

North Clare: I think Eddie Hocking still coaching them. I'd doubt that Ricky O'Loughlin would be back. He seemed to lose interest as the season went on. All happened about the same time they started losing and everyone found out how much he was getting paid :wink:

South Clare: Where do I start!!! There is a saying in sport "Winning hides a lot of problem" and THIS club is a perfect example. 3 of the the 4 Nordhausen boys have left. Brad Nordhausen gone to Darwin and will probably play in Victoria next year. Michael Liebelt trying out at Centrals. Mansfield brothers back in Whyalla. Several players walking out of the club vowing never to return. I would doubt if any players would follow David Evans to Reynella (if that's the same guy). Most of the players hated his guts by the end of the year and he pretty much got ran out of Clare. THIS TEAM HAS MASSIVE EGO PROBLEMS!!!!! Bill Lokan has a lot of bridges to mend but they will probably be around the place again because North Clare aren't that good. I love it when this mob is tearing itself apart :D :D :D :D :D :D

Blyth/Snowtown: Ryan Darling trying out at Sturt. Promised him a job in Adelaide but the Eagles are refusing to clear him. What they are asking Sturt for an untried country footballer is obscene. No wonder some SANFL club go for interstate recruits rather than go for local talent outside their zone. Jarrad Gillings invited to Sturt also but will be back. Brad Bell trying out at Glenelg and is undecided at the moment. Definitely lost Daniel Stringer who is going to Port Adelaide. 19 year old ruckman, 6ft8 and still growing!!!!! Rest of the team will be back and the others have said if they dont make the league teams in Adelaide, they will be back too. They arent staying down their to play Reserves footy. We'll wait and see

BLYTH/SNOWTOWN NEFL PREMIERS 2006, 2007?
wal65
Rookie

Grassroots Team: Blyth-Snowtown

Postby Brad » Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:07 am

Interesting news on South Clare, you can only go on so long paying huge $$$ eventually something gives!

I read BBH have a new coach, not sure of the name though.
Brad
League - Best 21

Postby carey » Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:43 am

hocking wont be back at south's his coaching salisbury in div. 3 (saafl) cant see any of his ' followers ' staying there .
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2804 times
Been liked: 2994 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby Brad » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:02 pm

Josh 'Tacker' Gale has signed with Sollies in Pirie crossing from Crystal Brook.
Brad
League - Best 21

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:58 pm

Cameron McCallum would almost certainly, unless something dramatic happens, return to the Mid North.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Brad » Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:15 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:Cameron McCallum would almost certainly, unless something dramatic happens, return to the Mid North.

What is he leaving the riverland?
Brad
League - Best 21

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:45 pm

I'm 95 per cent certain that unless something drastic happens he will only be a one year player with the Tigers. Returning home.
He and his family were always going to return after one year here.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby carey » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:47 pm

anyone know any info on the footy club called peake ? thanks
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2804 times
Been liked: 2994 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:45 am

The Peake Lions play in the Mallee Football League.
They've struggled over the past eight or so years - and took great glee in winning an abbreviated carnival match at Wunkar several years ago - I think it was theirt first win in a long time, and turned out to be their only win in a long time.
This year they struggled again and finished in the bottom two - with Murrayville (2005) premiers.
They struggle to recruit players and struggle to win games and have been bottom for a long time.

Gonna play there Carey?
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Redandblack00 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:33 am

im pretty sure Corey Smelt is heading to Peake this year and taking players with him.
Redandblack00
Rookie

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:43 am

Where's Corey Smelt coming from?

From what I can gauge from the results of the past year - Peake probly need at least 10 new players to be competitive, let alone a threat next season.

They didn't just lose, but got belted most weeks.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby 200 Killer Wasps » Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:02 pm

Corey Smelt ex Tailem Bend and Marion I think.

Will be the most exiting thing to happen to Peake since 1993 apart from winning the Wunkar Carnival.
200 Killer Wasps
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Wunkar

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:35 pm

Supa = wealth/information
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby mazdabaiter » Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:42 pm

corey smelt is ex glenelg league player recruited to tailem bend by a unknown gary peach, corey was last seen riding a bike down the main street at tailem bend NAKED!!
mazdabaiter

Next

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy