Who are the really big country clubs

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: Who are the really big country clubs

Postby lincoln magpie » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:21 am

As for clubrooms and facilaties, you cant go past the brand new complex built at Ravendale Pt Lincoln, this is a community building and accomodates footy and cricket seasonally on the west side and Hockey on the East, do meals all weekend and chosen nights throughout the week, also functions for weddings etc etc, this weekend is hosting the Aussie v Japan hockey games and will see droves pass through the gates, recently hosted the u18 Australian championships and has state of the art turf, all netball competition is there with their courts of 15 and have their own seperate clubrooms and committe rooms there, four tennis courts with own club house within the boundry, also the athletics club is located on the grounds, cant say much for the oval or ovals as there is two of them and massive, as they face the wrong way, but the electronic scoreboard and lighting is very impressive.
As for financial standings, having played in seven different leagues, the Naracorte and district clubs throw around huge bills, so would understand they are pretty well off or have the backing of local supporters and sponsors !
Last edited by lincoln magpie on Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lincoln magpie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby silicone skyline » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:07 pm

lincoln magpie wrote: the Naracorte and district clubs throw around huge bills, so would understand they are pretty well off or have the backing of local supporters and sponsors !

Define "huge" magpie
Ruthless and Relentless
silicone skyline
Coach

Postby lincoln magpie » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:14 pm

silicone skyline wrote:
lincoln magpie wrote: the Naracorte and district clubs throw around huge bills, so would understand they are pretty well off or have the backing of local supporters and sponsors !

Define "huge" magpie

Well in my terms of what i saw, i was averaging 450 squid a game, accommodation, hire car every weekend plus cash for best ons and didnt pay for my grog at all, and drank till it soaked out of me !
Other guys that were travelling down from town were getting same but double squid and this is only what i saw within one club, know of big ex SANFL players that were playing in same league and would of have to of been on a fair packet !
lincoln magpie

Postby silicone skyline » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:15 pm

:shock: Yeah, i would consider that huge :lol:
Ruthless and Relentless
silicone skyline
Coach

Postby Shameless » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:55 pm

I Know players that are on $900 plus a game with all expenses
paid but that doeas not mean the club is loaded.

There are a lot of ways to get money to pay players.
Shameless

Postby lincoln magpie » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:41 pm

Totally agree with your comment there Shameless, alot of under the table dealings happen, hence my comment the backing of clubs by supporters and sponsors !
I was involved with it and know exactly how it works, when your on the field playing it was slipped into the footy bag and no other player was the wiser !
lincoln magpie

Postby Scooby » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:56 pm

$450 a game!!! You would have been the highest paid B grade country footballer of all time.. LOL..

So what you are trying to say LM is that you could actually play once upon a time.
Scooby
Under 16s

Postby lincoln magpie » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:02 pm

Never said that i "could" actually play, all under false pretenses Scoob, think my down fall is when i returned home and stood next to you, thats when i realised "yep im crap".
Never played reserves away until i came home with a rooted shoulder.
lincoln magpie

Postby Shameless » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:04 pm

lincoln magpie wrote:Totally agree with your comment there Shameless, alot of under the table dealings happen, hence my comment the backing of clubs by supporters and sponsors !
I was involved with it and know exactly how it works, when your on the field playing it was slipped into the footy bag and no other player was the wiser !

Yep, some of those farmers don't mind slipping the odd greenback
into your pocket at the bar.
Shameless

Postby silicone skyline » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:09 pm

I've mistaken the greenback slipping for just a hand a few times.
Freakin farmers.
Ruthless and Relentless
silicone skyline
Coach

Postby lincoln magpie » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:12 pm

Think they were just doing a moisture test there Silicone :lol:
lincoln magpie

Postby silicone skyline » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:28 pm

(Shudder)
Ruthless and Relentless
silicone skyline
Coach

Postby Dermie » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:57 am

Tumby Bay must be a big club according to any locals they don't
pay anyone so the bank balance must be big.
Dermie
Under 16s

Postby jingles » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:34 pm

Don't some of you country boyz, or maybe city boyz that play in the country, feel a little guilty taking $900 per game. I mean if you were really that good of a player, surely you would be playin' for an SANFL club at the very least!

A few of the best clubs down south are Langhornes Creek, Morphett Vale( 4 flags in a row) & Willunga (also 4 flags in a row). Now these clubs are built on a strong foundation of smart and hard working committees, and players that want to play for the club and the jumper. All 3 clubs have heaps of past league players and guys who gave it a crack but didn't break into league footy but played solid footy in the 2's in town.

All of those guys could of gone and played for big coin and been stars out in the bush, but it means alot more if the club, and the past ledgends of the club respect ya for the sacrifice (in terms of dollars) that you've made to be a part of thier clubs success.

I know alot of guys that couldn't get a kick in a street fight, but yet rip off poor old country clubs for everything they've got.... I reckon it's weak!
jingles

Postby Micky Conlan » Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:43 am

Well jingles youve come out firing there pal,i also know many players that have turned down big bucks for loyality and may i say its worked in there favour inwhich theyve been involved in a premiership or two,but what value do you put on winning a flag with ya mates or pocketing $20,000 playering out the back blokes with Larry,Barry and Garry.I can understand why players do it......but better them then me...nothing like going into a summer with the flag and catching up with the boys over bbq's,watching the local cricket,or having a hit of golf,hold ya heads high to the local loyal premiers!!!
"lifes a game of inches, inch by inch, play by play"
Micky Conlan
Under 16s

Postby Grape Ape » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:57 pm

Long after those blokes have spent their coin, it's ya mates, ya memories and ya medals. And isn't that what it's all about?

Does buying players really work anyway? Can someone give me an example of a club that has really bought a premiership? (apart from Jervois)
"Never let the truth get in the way of a good story"
Grape Ape
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:32 pm

Those aparent clubs down South do pay fair coin for players,compared to some city clubs anyway.No names but I have an ex team mate who plays for one of those clubs and I must say my jaw dropped. Fair good player mind you.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 748 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby BJ Ernest » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:52 pm

Any name of the club there laughing kooka?
Or just gonna drop the other 2 in it cause i have a fair idea of which club it is.
BJ Ernest
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times
Grassroots Team: Willunga

Postby Saint » Mon May 26, 2008 3:21 pm

Grape Ape wrote:Long after those blokes have spent their coin, it's ya mates, ya memories and ya medals. And isn't that what it's all about?

Does buying players really work anyway? Can someone give me an example of a club that has really bought a premiership? (apart from Jervois)

Torrens valley literaly bought two prmierships in 2005 and 07 in 2003 the club was ready to fold they were gettin beaten by 40 goals each week then garry huges took the helm and in the space of two years they went through undefieted and dominated with people huges was payn shit loads for from down town. You cant go from ready to fold to undefieted without ALOT of cash
Saint
Rookie

Postby Baron Greenback » Tue May 27, 2008 12:05 pm

Waikerie in the Riverland Football League has had huge success in the past 20 years.
It is the closest club to Adelaide in the Riverland and it is therefore easier to attract Adelaide players.
Having said that, most who come to the club end up staying there, so they must be doing something right down there.
They haven't missed the finals in the past 20 years or so and have also won a swag of premierships.
Ham and eggs for breakfast, ham and eggs for tea
Baron Greenback
Coach

Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 26 times
Grassroots Team: Paringa

Previous

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy