SUPER LEAGUE?

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

SUPER LEAGUE?

Postby Micky Conlan » Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:41 pm

Given the interest in the battle of the leauges with willuga v morphett vale, is there room for thought of creating a SUPER LEAUGE from the SFL & GSFL.Working along the lines of the English premier league with 2 divisions , so at the moment we have 26 teams, with the premier league having the top 5 from each league & the other 16 teams making up the feeder league.Premier league 18 rounds play each other twice top five finals, bottom 2 get relegated , than the feeder league 15 rounds play each other once top eight finals, top 2 get elevated.
I am aware there would be many hurdles,many traditionalist,and many questions to be answered but if we all are trying to lift the standard of our great game surely this could be the answer.
Also it would be great for South Adelaide as im sure as the standard lifts in the local games more and more players will be representing the Panthers with such strong local competitions .
I believe the SUPER LEAGUE concept should not be taken lightly we could seriously challenge for the best comp outside the pro's
any thoughts? If only Kerry Packer was still alive......
"lifes a game of inches, inch by inch, play by play"
Micky Conlan
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Re: SUPER LEAGUE?

Postby Grape Ape » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:29 pm

I think Micky just learnt how to copy and paste...
"Never let the truth get in the way of a good story"
Grape Ape
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Postby BJ Ernest » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:55 pm

Micky had to type it out each time, whats cut and paste i can hear him saying?
BJ Ernest
League - Best 21

Been liked: 4 times
Grassroots Team: Willunga

Postby Micky Conlan » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:08 pm

What is copy n paste ? sounds like year 3 art work.
"lifes a game of inches, inch by inch, play by play"
Micky Conlan
Under 16s

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:45 pm

Im sure kids from Morphettville Park will enjoy an 9:00am U14's game against the Saints at Goolwa
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 748 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:48 pm

Also SAAFL div 1 will always be the best standard in SA outside the SANFL,there are over 70 clubs in the SAAFL and if div 1 was not the best standard some serious questions would be asked.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 748 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby damian » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:06 pm

It isn't such a bad idea. Having played in both leagues i think it would really benefit a huge amount of teams. Morphetville park can go and join the amatuer league and play div 6 if they didn't want to travel!
"Start by doing what's necessary; then what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible."
damian
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 28 times
Grassroots Team: Goolwa-Port Elliott

Postby BJ Ernest » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:16 pm

THe idea holds merit for sure. AS with everything a first draft always needs to be rejigged but sadly with the state of footy everywhere, no matter what level there are top sides and bottom sides. I think it would definitely find out some sides but would make for stronger competitions.

How far is it from Salisbury to Goodwood? Dont they currently play one another? I would have said that would be close to the same travel time and Morphettville Park to Goolwa!
BJ Ernest
League - Best 21

Been liked: 4 times
Grassroots Team: Willunga

Postby Panther32 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:30 pm

And seriously it's one game a year that you would potentially drive, not like your training twice a week out there. A lot of players would enjoy the "road trip"!
The only time i've ever been wrong...was when I thought I was wrong!!!
Panther32
League - Best 21

Has liked: 104 times
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby damian » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:57 am

Morphettville Park is only an hour and 15 from Goolwa, plenty of other leagues have that as a minimum 'road trip'.

I think it is a great idea and needs to be looked into further.
"Start by doing what's necessary; then what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible."
damian
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 28 times
Grassroots Team: Goolwa-Port Elliott

Postby FootyMad » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:14 pm

At Encounter Bay sometime in March there is a 4 team invitational 20/20 comp featuring at this stage Salisbury. Aldinga, Lonsdale and Enc Bay. Each club has to supply two teams and pays a registration fee, with the winner and the runner up taking home cash prizes. This concept only came up as all four coach's no eachother so it was thrown together.

I mention it as in Feb/March etc this same things in a full game format could be done between the two leagues to start off with, clubs could simply play or not play in it but the carrot to get involved and get serious is winning it and taking the cash. Some clubs are strapped for cash so why not give an opportunity like this to play for it, paid players then have the opportunity also to show there worth and bring some money into the club.
FootyMad
League Bench Warmer

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy