bye bye Mr Rudd

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Postby Sheik Yerbouti » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:23 pm

lizbeff eaglez wrote:
our_longreach wrote:
lizbeff eaglez wrote:Labor will be in power in a landslide after the next election

WTF?? Very unintelligent and naive comment lizbeff. They will have an uphill battle getting the swings to win the seats that they need to get over the line let alone win in a landslide?

Why is it that Labor (and union) supporters resort to namecalling?
Pull this forum back up after the election and show me to be wrong If i am ill do a nudie run down Rundle Mall. U cant bear to think it but we have got enough over the liberals to take back all the marginals maybe even Bennelong???? And reclaim a few safer Lib seats. I can tell u David
Fawcett will not win back Wakefield after more Holdens workers getting the chop. So theres 1

Stuff nudie runs, be a man of conviction & throw a grand on Labour @ $1.90.
If I had a nag running around with such confidence I'd be down the bank withdrawing the morgage yesterday
Sheik Yerbouti
League - Best 21

Has liked: 201 times
Been liked: 204 times

Postby am Bays » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:15 pm

lizbeff eaglez wrote:Pull this forum back up after the election and show me to be wrong[/b] If i am ill do a nudie run down Rundle Mall. U cant bear to think it but we have got enough over the liberals to take back all the marginals maybe even Bennelong???? And reclaim a few safer Lib seats. I can tell u David
Fawcett will not win back Wakefield after more Holdens workers getting the chop. So theres 1

Hmm the mortgagees in Wakefield that don't work at Holden's might not hold that issue so high compared to the sustained low inflation and interest rates in Australia over the last 10 years....

The 1/3 of Wakefield voters that live in the Blue Ribbon Liberal rural areas (Clare Valley) might not think that way too......

So it might not be one yet LE...
Last edited by am Bays on Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1812 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:48 pm

mick wrote: He can do what Paul Keating did after the 1993 election, just break his promises

Now now Mick, don't isolate Laborites. All politicians break promises. It's the good ones that manage to do us without us knowing.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby BenchedEagle » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:55 pm

Sheik Yerbouti wrote:
lizbeff eaglez wrote:
our_longreach wrote:
lizbeff eaglez wrote:Labor will be in power in a landslide after the next election

WTF?? Very unintelligent and naive comment lizbeff. They will have an uphill battle getting the swings to win the seats that they need to get over the line let alone win in a landslide?

Why is it that Labor (and union) supporters resort to namecalling?
Pull this forum back up after the election and show me to be wrong If i am ill do a nudie run down Rundle Mall. U cant bear to think it but we have got enough over the liberals to take back all the marginals maybe even Bennelong???? And reclaim a few safer Lib seats. I can tell u David

Stuff nudie runs, be a man of conviction & throw a grand on Labour @ $1.90.
If I had a nag running around with such confidence I'd be down the bank withdrawing the morgage yesterday
Im a Uni student and i work in the hospitality industry. Coz of the Howard government i cant afford $1000 to make the bet. :evil:

Would be easy money though!
BenchedEagle
League - Top 5

Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 50 times

Postby BenchedEagle » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:57 pm

1980 Tassie Medalist wrote:
lizbeff eaglez wrote:Pull this forum back up after the election and show me to be wrong[/b] If i am ill do a nudie run down Rundle Mall. U cant bear to think it but we have got enough over the liberals to take back all the marginals maybe even Bennelong???? And reclaim a few safer Lib seats. I can tell u David

Hmm the mortgagees in Wakefield that don't work at Holden's might not hold that issue so high compared to the sustained low inflation and interest rates in Australia over the last 10 years....

The 1/3 of Wakefield voters that live in the Blue Ribbon Liberal rural areas (Clare Valley) might not think that way too......

So it might not be one yet LE...
All we need is anyone besides Martyn Evans to contest the seat and its ours. Evans lost that seat last time Fawcett walked over te line. We will get that one back.
BenchedEagle
League - Top 5

Postby am Bays » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:10 pm

Labor has never held Wakefield, LE, Evans seat got wiped out in the 2002 electoral distribution (seat went to QLD correct me if I'm wrong R&B) and the half of Wakefield and half of Bonython (roughly) went into the redistributed seat of Wakefield that was nominally Labor...

So there is a strong proportion of Wakefield that is blue ribbon Liberal and a strong proportion that is "red" ribbon Labor. I know some people in Wakefield (Gawler and the Barossa) and hell will freeze over before they vote Labor......

How many Holden assembly workers do you reckon voted Liberal last time????

All I'm saying is with all the land development and young aspirational family voters with mortgages in the electorate other issues may influence how they vote...
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Postby Sploosh » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:15 pm

mick wrote:He can do what Paul Keating did after the 1993 election, just break his promises

What if they weren't "core" promises?
Sploosh
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 5 times

Postby BenchedEagle » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:21 pm

1980 Tassie Medalist wrote:Labor has never held Wakefield, LE, Evans seat got wiped out in the 2002 electoral distribution (seat went to QLD correct me if I'm wrong R&B) and the half of Wakefield and half of Bonython (roughly) went into the redistributed seat of Wakefield that was nominally Labor...

So there is a strong proportion of Wakefield that is blue ribbon Liberal and a strong proportion that is "red" ribbon Labor. I know some people in Wakefield (Gawler and the Barossa) and hell will freeze over before they vote Labor......

All I'm saying is with all the land development and young aspirational family voters with mortgages in the electorate other issues may influence how they vote...
As i said previously u dont have the whole keepin interest rates low on your side anymore. Sure they are lowere than 20 years ago but they have gone slowly up and up since last election. The Liberals can try use the whole scare tactic of high interest rates but one lil graph showing the highers costs to the average Australian family with a mortgage since the last election will kill that argument instantly.
Interest Rates won the last election for u. They may(amongst other things) lose it for u this time
Cant u see that u are really in trouble this election?

Anyone notice the government quiet today on the Burke affair since we dug out the QLD printinggate scandal and the dodgy Senator who according to Costello is "Polititically compromised"?
Hmmmm Funny game Politics
BenchedEagle
League - Top 5

Postby Sojourner » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:37 pm

lizbeff eaglez wrote:Your whole intrest rates election winner last time aint gonna wash this time round. U sad bstds keep going on about 17% rates high unemployment, the recession etc etc. Get over it. That was Pushing 2 decades ago the world is a different place now. If the Libs never took office we would be where we are now. In the current(last 10 years) world economic climate your government would have to be completly incompetent not to bring all of these key areas down.

More people are in debt this time around, I suggest you read a book called "Affluenza" by Clive Hamilton if you really want to know what the mood of the community is, while you are at it check out an article online called "South Park Conservatives" which focuses on why younger people, those in the demographic that watch the tv cartoon South Park think it is cool to vote right wing and expousse conservative views, this group is the fastest growing group of voters world wide.

Labor governments are renown for spending money not saving it, their spending pushes up inflation and triggers interest rate rises. That is what will be the issue fought over at the next election.

Just out of interest, I would have thought that Elizabeth was a Labor area, yet in the last election, Family First have their vote up to 6% in that seat, a scenario that is being repeated in many "safe" Labor seats. If Labor are to win, they need Family First preferences, should be fun to watch the battle fought in the Labor party over that one, the same argument helped break up the Democrats, so how Labor handle that issue will be interesting. Labor federal preferences in Victoria got Steve Fielding in who promptly put an end to compulsory student unionism, so I am sure that Labor may not be making that mistake again, yet at the same time if in the Blue Ribbon seats Labor voters are being picked off by Family First, they may well have a hard decision to make. 8)
Sojourner
Veteran

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Ovingham

Postby McAlmanac » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:48 pm

Sojourner wrote:Labor governments are renown for spending money not saving it....

Not State Labor governments at the moment, something which I would think would be replicated at Federal level.
Blighty Teasdale - SuperCoach former World No. 1
McAlmanac
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Postby am Bays » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:54 pm

lizbeff eaglez wrote:As i said previously u dont have the whole keepin interest rates low on your side anymore. Sure they are lowere than 20 years ago but they have gone slowly up and up since last election. The Liberals can try use the whole scare tactic of high interest rates but one lil graph showing the highers costs to the average Australian family with a mortgage since the last election will kill that argument instantly.
Interest Rates won the last election for u. They may(amongst other things) lose it for u this time
Cant u see that u are really in trouble this election?

Anyone notice the government quiet today on the Burke affair since we dug out the QLD printinggate scandal and the dodgy Senator who according to Costello is "Polititically compromised"?
Hmmmm Funny game Politics

The arguement was not that the Liberals would keep them down, but that they will keep them lower than Labor....A lot of people forget that small fact

One little graph to show 1989 17% 1993 10% and 2006 7%, may put a different slant on that arguement LE

A little history lesson for you mate...... historical "home loan" interest rates.

McMahon
Lowest - 7
Highest - 7.25

Whitlam
Lowest - 7
Highest - 10.38

Fraser
Lowest - 9.88
Highest - 13.5

Hawke
Lowest - 11.5
Highest - 17

Keating
Lowest - 8.75
Highest - 12

Howard
Lowest - 6.05
Highest - 10.5 (March 1996 - when he took over as PM)
am Bays
Coach

Postby topsywaldron » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:53 am

1980 Tassie Medalist wrote:Fraser
Lowest - 9.88
Highest - 13.5

Weren't they artifically capped during this time?

Interest rates, in real terms, were as bad if not worse when Howard was Treasurer as any time under Keating. The look on Howard's face when the Labor Party finally remembered this and asked him about it was priceless.
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

Dion Hayman 24th July 2013
topsywaldron
Veteran

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 218 times

Postby Leaping Lindner » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:04 am

topsywaldron wrote:
1980 Tassie Medalist wrote:Fraser
Lowest - 9.88
Highest - 13.5

Weren't they artifically capped during this time?

Interest rates, in real terms, were as bad if not worse when Howard was Treasurer as any time under Keating. The look on Howard's face when the Labor Party finally remembered this and asked him about it was priceless.

I was always under they the impression they were capped until the cap was removed under the Hawke/Keating Government.
Did you know food, petrol etc was cheaper under the Holt Government than it was under the Keating Government?
"They got Burton suits, ha, you think it's funny,turning rebellion into money"
Leaping Lindner
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 47 times

Postby mick » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:18 am

Interest rates were capped at 13.5% during the Hawke government for EXISTING LOANS, at the time we took out a new loan, NO CAP, bore the full force of the 17% of the world's greatest treasurer. Having said that many of the reforms that Keating introduced were long overdue (derugulation of exchange rates, banks etc.) although I hate the arrogant bastard he should be commended for these reforms. Keating should also be commended for reintroducing University fees, too many lefty radicals got a free ride during the Whitlam and Fraser governments.
mick
League - Best 21

Been liked: 0 time

Postby mick » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:36 am

1980 Tassie Medalist wrote:Labor has never held Wakefield, LE, Evans seat got wiped out in the 2002 electoral distribution (seat went to QLD correct me if I'm wrong R&B) and the half of Wakefield and half of Bonython (roughly) went into the redistributed seat of Wakefield that was nominally Labor...

I lived in Kapunda as a teenager, it was in the electorate of Wakefield at the time and was blue ribbon Liberal. Apparently there were some booths out in the middle of no-where where the voters were mainly Lutheran farmers, where no one had cast a vote for Labor in living memory :lol:
mick
League - Best 21

Postby am Bays » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:28 am

mick wrote:
I lived in Kapunda as a teenager, it was in the electorate of Wakefield at the time and was blue ribbon Liberal. Apparently there were some booths out in the middle of no-where where the voters were mainly Lutheran farmers, where no one had cast a vote for Labor in living memory :lol:

A classic example is the '93 state election the Myponga booth, 104 votes cast, 96 for Liberal, 4 informal and 4 Labor, I know people at Myponga who are astill trying track down the bastards who dared to vote Labor..... :wink: :wink:

As a scrutineer for Susan Jeanes in 98, in the Southern Hackham booth, Jeanes got barely 30% of the vote compared to the Labor candidate, a booth we knew we were never going to win but were hoping for 40%...

That is what makes a seat like Wakefield so interesting, some booths will be lucky to record a 10% vote for Labor, where as some booths will be lucky to record a 10% vote for Liberal. It has such strong booths for both parties compared to other seats where the vote across the electorate is more even.

It will be the marginal booths in mortgage belt areas that will decide which way that seat goes
am Bays
Coach

Postby topsywaldron » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:42 am

mick wrote:Interest rates were capped at 13.5% during the Hawke government for EXISTING LOANS

So you're admitting that interest rates under Fraser/Howard could have exceded the 17% if there wasn't a cap in place?
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

Dion Hayman 24th July 2013
topsywaldron
Veteran

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 218 times

Postby am Bays » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:53 am

topsywaldron wrote:
mick wrote:Interest rates were capped at 13.5% during the Hawke government for EXISTING LOANS

So you're admitting that interest rates under Fraser/Howard could have exceded the 17% if there wasn't a cap in place?

there was no cap in place in 1982 as the Governemnt set interest rates and the exchange rate, as part of the move to deregulate the economy the Hawke Keating goverenmet that those who had loans prior to the RBA setting rates that those rates would not change as a result of deregulation.

The same could be said off the Whitlam government if their rates were capped...

One of things Hawke and Keating deserve praose for is that when rates were hitting 17% they come under lots of pressure from the Banks to lift the pre 1984 lan rates but the Government said no....
am Bays
Coach

Postby Coorong » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:54 am

1980 Tassie Medalist wrote:
mick wrote:

As a scrutineer for Susan Jeanes in 98, in the Southern Hackham booth, Jeanes got barely 30% of the vote compared to the Labor candidate, a booth we knew we were never going to win but were hoping for 40%...

I reckon we know each other Tassie, I worked the Pimpala Primary School booth and also scrutineered for the Liberals during that time. Fought hard against Bilney and that state bitch during that time
Coorong
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 8 times

Postby mick » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:56 am

topsywaldron wrote:

No not all, the 13.5% cap I think was a condition in mortgages common to most bank loans possibly from before the Fraser/Howard government. It was a bank policy nothing much to do with government. People on new loans and those with building society loans were faced with uncapped loans from about 1984/5 onwards, this might have had something to do with the deregulation of the banking industry. No one talked about capped loans during the Fraser government because inflation hadn't taken off to the extent it did during the Hawke/keating government. During the early days of the Hawke governmet wages were tied to inflation, all workers got automatic wage rises which were sometimes as much as 10%, how inflationary is that?
mick
League - Best 21

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics