bye bye Mr Rudd

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:27 pm

Yes....cos it's the Opposition's fault that the Government has chosen to make those decisions.....
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby power01 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Pie with Sauce and a Bucket of Chips?
power01
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby JK » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:07 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:Yes....cos it's the Opposition's fault that the Government has chosen to make those decisions.....

Not for the making of the decisions, but the inability to prevent them!

So many people get heated up on the issue of politics for whatever reason, legitimate beef, their current position in life, how they were influenced by their parents etc ... At the end of the day there aint too many pollies you couldn't slag off at!
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Sojourner » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:18 pm

lizbeff eaglez wrote:I think u will be left dissapointed after the election mate. Howard doesnt have his intrest rates record to stand on anymore, so how can he say the average Oz family will be better of after the election?

I am currently paying an interest rate at 6.99%. When Labor were last in power interest rates were 17%. The record of the current government on interest rates is in a good postition, even if interest rates went up another 1% it still would be good in comparison.

There are an awful lot of voters who were pushed to the wall with the loss of jobs, homes and cars in Keating's "Recession". Clive Hamilton an old school Democrat wrote a book called "Affluenza" which states that more people than ever before have loans and credit maxed out and as a result interest rates dominated the last election.

The upcomming election campaign will focus heavilly on Rudd being in the federal government when that blow out to 17% happened and will attempt to undermine his credibility by linking him directly to that happening.

it was also reported on the news that in the last poll taken, Rudd's approval rating had dropped 4% which is not alot, yet they were recording growth which was expected to happen with a new leader. The whole Burke affair was to stop that growth and send it backwards which it clearly has done, the job of tarnishing his credibilty has begun and will snowball in comming months to bring that figure down.
Sojourner
Veteran

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Ovingham

Postby McAlmanac » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:12 pm

Sojourner wrote:The upcomming election campaign will focus heavilly on Rudd being in the federal government when that blow out to 17% happened and will attempt to undermine his credibility by linking him directly to that happening.

Kevin Rudd was first elected to Parliament in 1998 - two years after Howard came to power. Before that he worked for KPMG, the Queensland Government, was chief of staff for Wayne Goss and was a diplomat in the Department of Foreign Affairs. If he had his hand on the interest rate lever, he is more clever than we thought.
Blighty Teasdale - SuperCoach former World No. 1
McAlmanac
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Postby Coorong » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:23 pm

McAlmanac wrote:
Sojourner wrote:The upcomming election campaign will focus heavilly on Rudd being in the federal government when that blow out to 17% happened and will attempt to undermine his credibility by linking him directly to that happening.

Kevin Rudd was first elected to Parliament in 1998 - two years after Howard came to power. Before that he worked for KPMG, the Queensland Government, was chief of staff for Wayne Goss and was a diplomat in the Department of Foreign Affairs. If he had his hand on the interest rate lever, he is more clever than we thought.

You are quite right, but I dont see him as PM material nor do I see the Labor party as a viable alternative. I am right wing all the way, however I will listen (and debate) reasonable argument. Infact I quite enjoy it. However the Rudd lovers are yet to offer any credibility to the man, his party or how he will improve our economy or society.....perhaps it's the perenial lib bashing, as usual without any thought, merit or intelligence.
Coorong
League - Best 21

Been liked: 8 times

Postby McAlmanac » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:33 pm

Education and industrial affairs (ask Nick Minchin) are two areas where Labor can resonate with the electorate. I also think that Howard is starting to acquire Keating's "on the nose" factor. Rudd has a better temperament than his predecessors and is certainly not lacking in intellect.

A combination of factors will keep the pressure on the Liberals, but there is obviously a long way to go. The "Burke scandal" is like the David Hicks issue - something the broader electorate doesn't really care about.
Blighty Teasdale - SuperCoach former World No. 1
McAlmanac
League - Best 21

Been liked: 2 times

Postby Coorong » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:38 pm

Rdd?
Last edited by Coorong on Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coorong
League - Best 21

Postby Coorong » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:49 pm

McAlmanac wrote: Rudd has a better temperament than his predecessors and is certainly not lacking in intellect.

But like his predecessors he will faulter at the barrier for several reasons

(a) no sound policies
(b) union support which the average Aussie detests
(c) lack of political backup or (spin doctoring)
And
(d) he just dont have it

How would he fair against polictal animals like Keating, Gough or Hawke. He could not even hope to stand in their shadow or for that matter carry thier lunchbag.
Coorong
League - Best 21

Postby Snaggletooth Tiger » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:00 am

Coorong wrote:
McAlmanac wrote:(b) union support which the average Aussie detests

Speak for yourself! :x

'PROUD TO BE UNION'

It's the cornerstone of what this Great Nation of ours democracy was built on!

I may be a Shop Steward in the AMWU, but Gawd help me, I ain't no whinging Lefty!
However only narrow minded Right-Wing peanuts write off Trade Unions as a bunch of Pinko Commies
through sheer ignorance & pig-headed arrogance!
Since WHEN are worker's rights considered a bad thing?

Still what can I expect? (re. John Wayne avatar)
The 'Duke' was foremost & outspoken in support of Wisconsin Senator Joseph McCarthy's
paranoid 'Reds under the Bed' witch hunts back in the 1950's!
GO THE GROWL!!!

"Shut the gate on this one Maxy... It's the Duck's Guts!"
Snaggletooth Tiger
League Bench Warmer

Postby our_longreach » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:11 am

Despite what most of you may believe, I do not consider myself to be either Right or Left. I even used to be a union member.

I now detest the union movement and this is purely because of the way they conduct themselves. For example the "John Hitler" banner that was displayed at the IR Rally in November - what a disgrace, and the way the movement continually uses derogatory and abusive language in reference to our nations leaders, now matter how good or bad they are. This is not what this country was built on. Show some respect FFS and you may be taken a bit more seriously.

In this day and age we are becomming more and more regulated and there is no place for anarchistic organsiations like this anymore. It is no wonder unions are becomming a thing of the past. The last time I paid my fees I got NOTHING in return - just a monthly lunchtime bullshit spiel by some wanker pretending to give a shit and justify why we should pay union fees.

The worker should learn to stand on his own two feet and not rely on unions. If you are being hard done by in your job - leave it and get another one. These are the days of skills and employee shoratges and there are plenty of other great jobs out there.

Totally agree with you Coorong, if Rudd strengthens his ties with the union it will be to the Labor parties detriment.
our_longreach
Under 18s

Postby power01 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:47 am

Snaggletooth Tiger wrote:
Coorong wrote:

'PROUD TO BE UNION'

I may be a Shop Steward in the AMWU, but Gawd help me, I ain't no whinging Lefty!
However only narrow minded Right-Wing peanuts write off Trade Unions as a bunch of Pinko Commies

The 'Duke' was foremost & outspoken in support of Wisconsin Senator Joseph McCarthy's

That is exactly the sort of retoric that got many Unionist a very bad name........maybe they should consider this
as it doesnt exactly entice new members.............. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Pie with Sauce and a Bucket of Chips?
power01
Under 16s

Postby scoob » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:50 am

power01 wrote:
Snaggletooth Tiger wrote:
Coorong wrote:

'PROUD TO BE UNION'

That is exactly the sort of retoric that got many Unionist a very bad name........maybe they should consider this
as it doesnt exactly entice new members.............. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

They are a great bunch power, just look at the vision of the rallies they have! Something all aussies can be proud of!
scoob
Veteran

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 87 times

Postby BenchedEagle » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:55 am

Sojourner wrote:
lizbeff eaglez wrote:I think u will be left dissapointed after the election mate. Howard doesnt have his intrest rates record to stand on anymore, so how can he say the average Oz family will be better of after the election?

I am currently paying an interest rate at 6.99%. When Labor were last in power interest rates were 17%. The record of the current government on interest rates is in a good postition, even if interest rates went up another 1% it still would be good in comparison.

There are an awful lot of voters who were pushed to the wall with the loss of jobs, homes and cars in Keating's "Recession". Clive Hamilton an old school Democrat wrote a book called "Affluenza" which states that more people than ever before have loans and credit maxed out and as a result interest rates dominated the last election.

The upcomming election campaign will focus heavilly on Rudd being in the federal government when that blow out to 17% happened and will attempt to undermine his credibility by linking him directly to that happening.

it was also reported on the news that in the last poll taken, Rudd's approval rating had dropped 4% which is not alot, yet they were recording growth which was expected to happen with a new leader. The whole Burke affair was to stop that growth and send it backwards which it clearly has done, the job of tarnishing his credibilty has begun and will snowball in comming months to bring that figure down.

Your whole intrest rates election winner last time aint gonna wash this time round. U sad bstds keep going on about 17% rates high unemployment, the recession etc etc. Get over it. That was Pushing 2 decades ago the world is a different place now. If the Libs never took office we would be where we are now. In the current(last 10 years) world economic climate your government would have to be completly incompetent not to bring all of these key areas down.

Howard's dirty smear tactics will not work this time around Besides the Burke crap which 95% of Aussies dont really even understand what the whold debacle is about. I mean the jist of it is Rudd may have used Burke in a factional move to see if he would be able to overthrow Beazley who had to go. What does it have to do with the Liberal Party??? What does it have to do with the Australian people??? Nothing. Howard is desperate, no doubt about it. Watch him in interviews, he's haggered, he's lost his bite and the bark aint so good anymore.
As much as the dirty Libs will try ,they have nothing on Rudd or Gillard.
Mark my words
Labor will be in power in a landslide after the next election
BenchedEagle
League - Top 5

Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 50 times

Postby Magpiespower » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:03 am

Coorong wrote:I am right wing all the way...

And Labor isn't?

:shock:
Magpiespower
Coach

Been liked: 125 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby our_longreach » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:14 am

lizbeff eaglez wrote:Labor will be in power in a landslide after the next election

WTF?? Very unintelligent and naive comment lizbeff. They will have an uphill battle getting the swings to win the seats that they need to get over the line let alone win in a landslide?

Why is it that Labor (and union) supporters resort to namecalling?
our_longreach
Under 18s

Postby BenchedEagle » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:37 pm

-Double post sorry
Last edited by BenchedEagle on Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BenchedEagle
League - Top 5

Postby BenchedEagle » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:37 pm

our_longreach wrote:
lizbeff eaglez wrote:Labor will be in power in a landslide after the next election

WTF?? Very unintelligent and naive comment lizbeff. They will have an uphill battle getting the swings to win the seats that they need to get over the line let alone win in a landslide?

Why is it that Labor (and union) supporters resort to namecalling?
Pull this forum back up after the election and show me to be wrong If i am ill do a nudie run down Rundle Mall. U cant bear to think it but we have got enough over the liberals to take back all the marginals maybe even Bennelong???? And reclaim a few safer Lib seats. I can tell u David
Fawcett will not win back Wakefield after more Holdens workers getting the chop. So theres 1
BenchedEagle
League - Top 5

Postby Sploosh » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:02 pm

Lizbeff Eaglez, I admire the strength of your convictions, but perhaps there's no need to make rash promises/crazy statements about what you'll do if the Givt retain power. If the Libs lose, then that should be enough to satisfy you. If they (please, no!) manage to hang on, why make your sorrows worse by having to fulfill various rash statements?
Sploosh
Under 18s

Been liked: 5 times

Postby mick » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:10 pm

Sploosh wrote:Lizbeff Eaglez, I admire the strength of your convictions, but perhaps there's no need to make rash promises/crazy statements about what you'll do if the Givt retain power. If the Libs lose, then that should be enough to satisfy you. If they (please, no!) manage to hang on, why make your sorrows worse by having to fulfill various rash statements?

He can do what Paul Keating did after the 1993 election, just break his promises
mick
League - Best 21

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics