bye bye Mr Rudd

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Postby Rik E Boy » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:33 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:be labelled by many as our greatest PM.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Curtin

Anyone who thinks John Howard is our greatest ever PM should do some reading. John Curtin had the balls to stand up to Winston Churchill and quite rightly recognised that England was not going to be a power after the Second World War and made overtures to the US. Menzies aka 'Pig Iron Bob' was a dud as a war time leader and he would have had our troops defending some North African desert while the Japs were bombing Darwin with war materials that the Menzie regime sold to them.

So while Curtin stood up to Menzies and Churchill, who has John Howard stood up to? He has stood up to those Aboriginals, 'sorry' seems to be the hardest word. He has stood up to those enivronmentalists by not signing the Kyoto agreement (if it doesn't go far enough, why not sign it anyway and send a message to the yanks?) and he has stood up to those terrorists who didn't GAF about Australia until we marched in Vietnam, er Iraq just because George W Bush told everyone that it was Saddam (and not the Saudis who have invested three trillion dollars into the US economy and is the nationality of Osama Bin where is he Laden) who casued 911.

In the meantime we get stuck with a double dipping taxation system that has us as one of the most heavily taxed democracies on Earth, our Health and Welfare systems are being eroded away with the ultimate goal of a user pays system. And who pays? We all pay as the gap between rich and poor gets larger and larger. Workers rights are being systematically dismantled to feed avaricious big business who's sole occupation is to export our jobs to where there is cheaper labour in the name of the great god globalisation. We keep voting these clowns back in because they brag about the low unemployment rate because they can classify someone as employed if they work a day and a half a week and thus can't afford to be burdened by massive mortgages and three times a year rate rises that these lying pricks said would not happen under a Liberal government. If we vote LJH back in we can look forward to more of the same as well as the delightful scenario of turning our nation into a nuclear wasteland..you can bet your bottom dollar (and it's getting closer) that there is no way known a nuclear reactor will be anywhere near where this Golden Pheasant choses to roost.

LJH the greatest PM? Pfft. Laughable. It's time to draw the Curtin on his career.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:47 pm

I never said I agreed with that belief REB. lol

Although Wikipedia's a fairly dubious source, lol ;)
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:48 pm

our_longreach wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:doesn't mean I'm a Labor voter.

LOL

Why the laughter?
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Blue Boy » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:40 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:Now, now lying or expanding the truth doesn't seem to have hurt Mr Howard and his crew has it?

Remember The Peter Reith Affair?
How about The Children Overboard Affair?
Ummm Weapons of Mass Distruction ring a bell?
What about Miss Rau or the lady deported to the Phillipines?
AWB and their kickback to Iraq? Now I know Mr Howard and Mr Downer can't recall what happened there, but...
Oh and the latest backflip on David Hicks?

That's a fair catalogue isn't it?

J Ho's a very good politician, who uses everything to his advantage and is the master at turning things around.
If Mr Rudd can stare down this challenge, we've got an interesting fight on our hands.
If he doesn't fight back - then he's not worth challenging a man who I disdain, but who will be labelled by many as our greatest PM.

After reading the whole thread !!!

Well written DW !!!
It is what it is !!!
Blue Boy
Veteran

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Blue Boy » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:44 pm

IMO

I rekon JH would be the worlds best poker player - bluff = win every time !!!

But hopefully not the next time !!!
It is what it is !!!
Blue Boy
Veteran

Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby am Bays » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:46 pm

Christ three pages already without R&B's and PhilG's tuppence worth yet.....
Last edited by am Bays on Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1812 times

Postby heater31 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:13 pm

1980 Tassie Medalist wrote:Christ three pages already without R&B's and PhilG's tuppance worth yet.....

but I await with excitment as to what Phil's contribution will be :wink:
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby zipzap » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:27 pm

Anyone see the appalling puff-piece about Krudd on Sunday on, erm, Sunday? Hope nobody saw him singing 'Thank God I'm a Country Boy' - Mr Sheen would be returned in a landslide. More cringeworthy than Downer doing karaoke in drag.
"A no vote from any club means there is some sort of risk involved in our entry into the competition not working," Steven Trigg.
zipzap
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 248 times
Been liked: 39 times

Postby Snaggletooth Tiger » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:24 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:if COSTELLO was to get the PM gig, then GOD HELP THE COUNTRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The fact that he's Essendon Footy Clubs #1 ticket holder REALLY turns my stomach! :vom:
GO THE GROWL!!!

"Shut the gate on this one Maxy... It's the Duck's Guts!"
Snaggletooth Tiger
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 0 time

Postby Kahuna » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:29 pm

Heard Paul Keating on the ABC at lunchtime,he described Costello as "all tip and no iceberg."
Kahuna
League - Top 5

Has liked: 503 times
Been liked: 187 times

Postby Snaggletooth Tiger » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:37 pm

Kahuna wrote:Heard Paul Keating on the ABC at lunchtime,he described Costello as "all tip and no iceberg."

...& the former Labor Prime Minister was once Collingwood Footy Club's #1 ticket holder!

(Anything about the Carringbush turns my stomach!) :vom: :lol:

Also the Blues had Sir Robert Menzies & the Demons, Bob Hawke!
A bit of pointless trivia for yuz all! :roll:
GO THE GROWL!!!

"Shut the gate on this one Maxy... It's the Duck's Guts!"
Snaggletooth Tiger
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 0 time

Our Longreach

Postby dash61 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:28 pm

Our Longreach

Could not agree with u more about john howard being our best leader EVER

Did you say best i thought you wrote WORST

Ask the 650 people at GMH, what they think of a PM who has mucked around for years with the Tariffs so our car and many other industries are stuffed
dash61

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:37 pm

Kahuna wrote:Heard Paul Keating on the ABC at lunchtime,he described Costello as "all tip and no iceberg."

I heard that interview too, and I don't care what political pursuasion you are, listening to Paul Keating is always interesting.
I didn't agree with all he had to say - but some of his comments were hilarious. Oratory genius.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Kahuna » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:16 pm

Keating provided many memorable quotes and jibes.A link for the nostalgic---

http://www.webcity.com.au/keating/
Kahuna
League - Top 5

Has liked: 503 times
Been liked: 187 times

Postby McAlmanac » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:37 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:Now, now lying or expanding the truth doesn't seem to have hurt Mr Howard and his crew has it?

Remember The Peter Reith Affair?
How about The Children Overboard Affair?
Ummm Weapons of Mass Distruction ring a bell?
What about Miss Rau or the lady deported to the Phillipines?
AWB and their kickback to Iraq? Now I know Mr Howard and Mr Downer can't recall what happened there, but...
Oh and the latest backflip on David Hicks?

That's a fair catalogue isn't it?

J Ho's a very good politician, who uses everything to his advantage and is the master at turning things around.
If Mr Rudd can stare down this challenge, we've got an interesting fight on our hands.
If he doesn't fight back - then he's not worth challenging a man who I disdain, but who will be labelled by many as our greatest PM.

I too (along with Blue Boy) find this post the most succinct in the thread.

Unfortunately, the average punter doesn't give a hoot about those things. In this "what's in it for me" society, there is this an overwhelming pre-occupation with interest rates. More and more, people vote with their hip pockets, so incumbent governments (who have the added weapon of pork barrelling) have an advantage.

Having said that, there seems to be something different this time. People are starting to see through Howard - the "resignation" of Ian Campbell is one of the most contemptuous things I have ever seen the electorate be asked to swallow. Does anyone seriously believe this would have occurred if the Rudd/Burke meetings hadn't come to light? Sacrificing a Cabinet minister (albeit an average one) to score cheap political points and some perceived moral high ground - is there any depth to which Howard will not stoop?

Howard is simultaneously the most masterful and mean-spirited politician this country has ever seen.
Blighty Teasdale - SuperCoach former World No. 1
McAlmanac
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Postby zipzap » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:49 pm

McAlmanac wrote:
Howard is simultaneously the most masterful and mean-spirited politician this country has ever seen.

=D>
"A no vote from any club means there is some sort of risk involved in our entry into the competition not working," Steven Trigg.
zipzap
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 248 times
Been liked: 39 times

Postby am Bays » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:00 pm

zipzap wrote:
McAlmanac wrote:

=D>

I dunno, this bloke was pretty good when if came to mean spirited.....Mr 17% interests rates, some of us haven't forgotten...

http://www.nicholsoncartoons.com.au/flash/flash.php?id=43
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Postby Psyber » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:25 pm

And then there was Gough.... in the 1970s - the other Mr 17% Paul was trying to outdo. Two Federal Labo(U)r governments - both hit 17%...

On the other head, just to show I am even handed, I sent Tony Abbott an email recently pointing out that I would want to hear another guy's version myself, rather than have the party hacks tell me what to think, were I in Kevin Rudd's place.

I don't think talking to someone over a meal automatically means you are conspiring with them. I have shared a meal with the odd Labor Pollie, and I have had tea and bickies with Alexander Downer. It doesn't put me in anyone's pocket!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 390 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby McAlmanac » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:31 pm

Costello on Lateline is going to extraordinary lengths to destroy Rudd. He has his full smirk and smarminess on display. Tony Jones has his left wing bias right out there on his sleeve. It's quite spirited television.

Politics has suddenly gotten as dirty as it gets - at precisely the time that Howard is under pressure. What a surprise.
Blighty Teasdale - SuperCoach former World No. 1
McAlmanac
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Postby am Bays » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:35 pm

Obviously Costello and Howard were taking notes watching Keating disect a cleanskin leader in John Hewson,
am Bays
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics