Corey Bernardi bites the dust.

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Corey Bernardi bites the dust.

Postby Magellan » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:18 am

Corey's retiring from politics. Fair enough, his political judgment that another brand of breakaway silent majority right-wing God-fearing-and-loving-conservatives was what Australians wanted was proven to be rubbish.

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/right-wing-warrior-cory-bernardi-calls-time-on-his-political-career-20191119-p53c5l.html
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Re: Corey Bernardi bites the dust.

Postby Psyber » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:16 pm

Magellan wrote:Corey's retiring from politics. Fair enough, his political judgment that another brand of breakaway silent majority right-wing God-fearing-and-loving-conservatives was what Australians wanted was proven to be rubbish.

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/right-wing-warrior-cory-bernardi-calls-time-on-his-political-career-20191119-p53c5l.html

I knew Corey fairly well and several times chatted over issues with him over a beer or two at functions.
I liked him as a person even though we didn't agree on much.
He was always friendly, civil, and polite, and open to discussing issues.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Gozu » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:23 pm

Magellan wrote:Corey's retiring from politics. Fair enough, his political judgment that another brand of breakaway silent majority right-wing God-fearing-and-loving-conservatives was what Australians wanted was proven to be rubbish.

The sheer arrogance too voted in as a Liberal the only reason he ever got in and then turns on the party and quits to start up his own party which predictably went nowhere. I'm sure the Libs are glad to see the back of him and likely get the seat back.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 659 times

Postby Psyber » Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:03 pm

Gozu wrote:

The sheer arrogance too voted in as a Liberal the only reason he ever got in and then turns on the party and quits to start up his own party which predictably went nowhere. I'm sure the Libs are glad to see the back of him and likely get the seat back.

I think he genuinely believed the centrists were holding back the party and that the majority of LNP and National Party members would flock to his Conseravtive movement once it was formed. As I said, nice guy, but really didn't get the idea that there where a lot of moderate voters in the middle between the conservatives and the extreme lefties. Then the ALP and the Greens struggle with that too...
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Magellan » Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:12 pm

Psyber wrote:
Gozu wrote:

I think he genuinely believed the centrists were holding back the party and that the majority of LNP and National Party members would flock to his Conservative movement once it was formed. As I said, nice guy, but really didn't get the idea that there where a lot of moderate voters in the middle between the conservatives and the extreme lefties. Then the ALP and the Greens struggle with that too...

Say no more. Politics is always about grabbing the attention of the centre. Talk about cognitive dissonance - I think his time spent in the US just after Trump came to power gave him a false impression of where Australia's political sensibilities lie.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Board index   General Talk  Politics