Winter break

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Winter break

Postby westozfalcon » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:36 pm

Australian federal politicians get a whole month off in January so why do they need to have July off too?
westozfalcon
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 28 times

Re: Winter break

Postby dedja » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:06 am

To enjoy Europe ...
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 236 times
Been liked: 1053 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:13 am

Nearly all pollies I know put in incredible hours during the year.
One question? How many weeks annual leave a year do teachers get?
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 728 times
Been liked: 1089 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Jase » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:58 am

Jimmy_041 wrote:Nearly all pollies I know put in incredible hours during the year.

My wife gets 10 weeks a year, but she also works until at least 10pm four nights a week, marking, preparing and planning for the coming week. There is also all the new work with the Australian Curriculum, out of hours staff meetings, sports team trainings that she takes as well... Plus she works through the holidays, preparing as well, making sure that kids learn and enjoy it while they are doing it.

She doesn't get a Commonwealth funded car, paid lunches, dinners etc, doesn't earn $100K or more, doesn't get interstate/international flights paid for, massive pensions after working for (what is it) 2 terms (6 years)...

Plus she has to put up with kids with learning difficulties, violence issues, being threatened, ignored and abused by students and parents...

Sure there are some dud teachers who don't care, but please the majority of them deserve every little break that comes their way.
Jase
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1509 times
Been liked: 563 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:10 am

Pollies do most of all that (including put up with kids with learning difficulties, violence issues, being threatened, ignored and abused by students and parents...), and if Parliament doesn't sit, many of them still have jobs to do.
You reckon they all sit around doing nothing? (Not aiming that at you Jase)
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:18 am

Jimmy_041 wrote:Pollies do most of all that (including put up with kids with learning difficulties, violence issues, being threatened, ignored and abused by students and parents...), and if Parliament doesn't sit, many of them still have jobs to do.

So...if pollies do all of that, plus have fantastic super and travel benefits (which no one else gets), why do they make snide comments about teachers and their holidays (aimed at engendering public sympathy for their position) when it comes time to negotiate a better pay deal? A bit hypocritical?
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Jase » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:18 am

Jimmy_041 wrote:Pollies do most of all that (including put up with kids with learning difficulties, violence issues, being threatened, ignored and abused by students and parents...), and if Parliament doesn't sit, many of them still have jobs to do.

I totally agree, with your statement, but it really does sh#t me, when people have a crack at teachers for having lots of holidays....

They bloody deserve them... as do pollies, my folks used to live next to David Fawcett, the ex-member for Wakefield and I know him from the church I go to as well. I will never doubt the level of work done by Pollies, after seeing the stuff that David did, while he was the rep for Wakefield... While he was a Lib and I tend to be a bit more Labour leaning, he worked his arse of for the folks of Wakefield and if we had lived in that area at the time I would have voted for him due to this dedication.

I'm ranting now...
Jase
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1509 times
Been liked: 563 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:36 am

Dogwatcher wrote:

So...if pollies do all of that, plus have fantastic super and travel benefits (which no one else gets), why do they make snide comments about teachers and their holidays (aimed at engendering public sympathy for their position) when it comes time to negotiate a better pay deal? A bit hypocritical?

Speaking of fantastic super, you do realise they have to contribute a good proportion of their salary to get it?
It doesn't come for free?
I am happy to make snide remarks about any other public servant that gets more than 4 weeks holidays and life tenure if you could help me out. I'm happy to include them all
My point stands that just because Parliament isn't sitting, doesn't mean they aren't working
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:26 am

Jimmy, I didn't question you making snide remarks about public servants.
I questioned pollies making snide remarks about teachers' holidays (to benefit their debate), when they enjoy the same benefits.

And, if you've been to Canberra during winter, you'd know why they have a winter break! My b-i-l lives there at the moment and he's loving the cold :lol:
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby westozfalcon » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:26 pm

My beef with it is the terminology used. I don't know why, in Australia's relatively mild winter it needs to be called a 'winter break'. Just call it what it is - a holiday!

You could understand a winter break in cities like Ottawa, Warsaw, Budapest or Moscow where travel to the parliament building may be affected by snow. Canberra is cold but it doesn't compare to those places.
westozfalcon
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 28 times

Postby Sky Pilot » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:04 pm

Jase wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:Nearly all pollies I know put in incredible hours during the year.

My wife gets 10 weeks a year, but she also works until at least 10pm four nights a week, marking, preparing and planning for the coming week. There is also all the new work with the Australian Curriculum, out of hours staff meetings, sports team trainings that she takes as well... Plus she works through the holidays, preparing as well, making sure that kids learn and enjoy it while they are doing it.

She doesn't get a Commonwealth funded car, paid lunches, dinners etc, doesn't earn $100K or more, doesn't get interstate/international flights paid for, massive pensions after working for (what is it) 2 terms (6 years)...

Plus she has to put up with kids with learning difficulties, violence issues, being threatened, ignored and abused by students and parents...

Sure there are some dud teachers who don't care, but please the majority of them deserve every little break that comes their way.

Good post
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: BMW

Postby Bully » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:14 pm

i work hard in 2 jobs if not harder then these so called pollies, so why dont i get a full break at christmas like they do and a break now and be fully paid. Im not 100% sure if they get fully paid for these breaks, but yeah what about the hard working aussies out there, that put in 70 plus hours a week and only get 4 weeks holidays??
Bully
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 120 times

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:40 pm

Pollies staff do all the work anyway.
Cannabis is safer than alcohol
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 193 times

Postby GWW » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:53 pm

Barnaby probably wishes there was no break. Wont be able to have any fun for another 6 weeks now..

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-n ... 6413349295
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby dedja » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:56 pm

Wish we could drink on the job as well ... WADH
dedja
Coach

Postby smac » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:10 pm

I wish there was someone at work we could call a flash bit of kit.
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby dedja » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:19 pm

what about at home?
dedja
Coach

Postby smac » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:43 pm

I can drink there.
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Booney » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:01 am

Dont the pollies return to their respective offices during the winter break to work / catch up on affairs there? I dont think it is annual leave / holiday type time, is it?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7536 times
Been liked: 10851 times

Postby wycbloods » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:54 am

Booney wrote:Dont the pollies return to their respective offices during the winter break to work / catch up on affairs there? I dont think it is annual leave / holiday type time, is it?

Spot on. It's time away from Canberra and back to their electorates not annual leave.

For many back benchers this is probably when they do more work not less.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Dr. Rev. Martin Luther King Jnr.

CoverKing said what?

Agree with AF on this one!
wycbloods
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 20 times

Next

Board index   General Talk  Politics