Footy Tax?? (Pokies reform)

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Footy Tax?? (Pokies reform)

Postby Bully » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:41 pm

On this topic about Andrew Wilkie on his pokie reforms?

The PM has a very long week coming up.....what does she do, go with this independent and have the AFL and NRL on her like a tone of bricks, and have those footy codes lose all this money and destroy their codes as they say, or go with what the AFL and NRL are saying... and Andrew drops his support for the government??

Maybe its or might be a good idea that Julia maybe behind the scenes is wanting Kevin Rudd to take over again as its not a very good time for her over this now and the asylum seekers ? Wouldnt she be better wanting Rudd to take over so these issues are not her problem anymore that she cant resolve?? :roll:

tough week for PM coming up
Bully
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 120 times

Re: Footy Tax?? (Pokies reform)

Postby Psyber » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:41 pm

I must admit some sympathy with Wilkie on this one.
I've seen so many people who were injured and depressed get compo payments and then be supplied with free booze and pointed at he Pokies till it is all gone.
I even sent several of them to Nick Xenophon before he decided to stand for Parliament on an anti-pokies agenda.

Perhaps the problem is hotels having them and in big numbers.
If each sporting club had a few low level ones for members use only less family hardship may result - though it would need policing.
I also note Woolworth are now big in Pokies through subsidiaries, and I'm not happy with that as a Woolworths shareholder..
(Note to self - must go to next AGM.)
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 395 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Dirko » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:55 pm

The thing is you take away pokies, and they'll just find something else to blow the money....
The joy of being on the hill drinking beer cannot be understated
Dirko
Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Gozu » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:19 pm

Yawn another scare campaign, WA seems to get by without them and it's not about getting rid of pokies but curbing the losses of the problem gamblers. My brother is centre-right on most things, loves playing his pokies and despite working in the industry even says this is a good policy.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby Bully » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:33 pm

it is sad that the major footy codes are relying on pokies to make money tho.
Bully
Coach

Postby Sojourner » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:08 pm

Bully wrote:it is sad that the major footy codes are relying on pokies to make money tho.

Think that is the problem right there, our State Government is likewise addicted to the revnue from it as well.

Of all the ALP affiliated independants Wilkie is someone I have plenty of time for, he was honest and open about who he would back from day one and his Poker Machine reforms are needed in our nation. What people dont spend on Pokies they will soon put back into retail which is where a large portion of the funds came from in the first place.

I have a gut feeling that Wilkie is pushing so hard on this issue because he believes this government wont go the full three years, yet unlike the other independants, I think he will be voted back in fairly easilly on the strength of what he has already done for his local constituants, I for one would not mind the Feds picking up the tab to rebuild the RAH or a new one!
Steamranger, South Australia's best ever Tourist Attraction, Treat Yourself, Let your Money Buy you Happiness!!!
Sojourner
Veteran

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Ovingham

Postby Bully » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:32 pm

Sojourner wrote:
Bully wrote:it is sad that the major footy codes are relying on pokies to make money tho.

Think that is the problem right there, our State Government is likewise addicted to the revnue from it as well.

Of all the ALP affiliated independants Wilkie is someone I have plenty of time for, he was honest and open about who he would back from day one and his Poker Machine reforms are needed in our nation. What people dont spend on Pokies they will soon put back into retail which is where a large portion of the funds came from in the first place.

I have a gut feeling that Wilkie is pushing so hard on this issue because he believes this government wont go the full three years, yet unlike the other independants, I think he will be voted back in fairly easilly on the strength of what he has already done for his local constituants, I for one would not mind the Feds picking up the tab to rebuild the RAH or a new one!

agreed.
Bully
Coach

Postby Sky Pilot » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:40 pm

My annual poker machine budget is $5. I have $4 carried over from last year so am looking forward to blowing the full nine bucks at the very next opportunity. If someone else wants to invest $1000 per week that is their business until such time as it inpinges on their ability to sustain a proper life and support for their family. Then I think the government should step in.
The argument being put up by the AFL and the NRL that this is a tax on footy is plainly stupid and is being aimed at stupid people. All power to Julia in this instance I reckon.
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Grassroots Team: BMW

Postby mick » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:40 am

I despise pokies, boring mindless crap. It is a tragedy so many of (all) our SANFL clubs depend on these evil things for survival, but I agree with the reforms, even if this becomes law, subsequent governments will be under enormous pressure to repeal the reforms.
mick
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Psyber » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:57 am

Pokies apply all the conditioning principles of Skinner's experiments and are designed to train people to keep pulling the levers or pushing the buttons.
They reinforce any reward seeking behaviour.

When you add free booze used to keep those blowing their money, big time, dis-inhibited you have cold blooded exploitation, not fun.
I recall one man who lost his entire $200K WorkCover payout in 6 months due to that - and he hadn't been a gambler or heavy drinker before his injury and depression.
(His wife saved the house by threatening to divorce him and sue for it if he didn't sign it over to her so he couldn't lose it.)
Psyber
Coach

Postby Sojourner » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:17 am

What does concern me is the sheer number of Pokies venues owned by Coles and Woolworths, they hardly need any help to make record profits to their shareholders, groups like them should not get to own Poker machine venues over community clubs IMO.
Steamranger, South Australia's best ever Tourist Attraction, Treat Yourself, Let your Money Buy you Happiness!!!
Sojourner
Veteran

Postby Psyber » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:39 am

Sojourner wrote:What does concern me is the sheer number of Pokies venues owned by Coles and Woolworths, they hardly need any help to make record profits to their shareholders, groups like them should not get to own Poker machine venues over community clubs IMO.
Unfortunately, as a shareholder in both, I don't get much of it - which I guess makes it less of an ethical dilemma.
The profits nearly all seem to go to executives, and cash in the bank is paying me a better rate than most of my shares.

Otherwise I agree with you.
Psyber
Coach

Postby Bully » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:11 pm

considering i work for one of the supermarket chians that you mentioned i also believe they/them have their finger in the pie for to many things.

One chain has been doing car insurance for a while now, not sure on the other, next it will be car yards .

but on the topic, i dont play pokies myself as you are pooring your moeny down the drain , i only buy lotto tickets and scratchies to try and win.
Bully
Coach

Postby redden whites » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:19 am

"Footy tax"........ :roll: :roll: give me a break
redden whites
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 8 times
Grassroots Team: Jamestown-Peterborough

Postby Bully » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:31 pm

thats what its being called, a footy tax as the footy codes are complaining about losing all this money if these reforms come in for the pokies
Bully
Coach

Postby Sojourner » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:17 pm

How are they actually losing money? People will still be playing the pokies and losing there money in the just the same irrespective of what "limits" they set?
Sojourner
Veteran

Postby Bully » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:10 am

Sojourner wrote:How are they actually losing money? People will still be playing the pokies and losing there money in the just the same irrespective of what "limits" they set?

think its they will reduce the amount you can play like take away the dollar machines and have 5 cent machines, where you play the same time and not lose the same amount. maybe reduce the amount of time on each machine, the machine spits out a certain amount at a certain time to prevent you losing more money if on a loss.

open at certain times and close at certain times. you only put money on a pokie card maybe and this has a limit of 200 dollars a day maybe etc etc...i dont know
Bully
Coach

Postby Bully » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:41 pm

hmmmm....julia strikes again. Gets safety in the house, and then doesnt go through with another promise when she was elected.

now only a matter of time before the election is called and the end of her lies and broken promises
Bully
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:31 pm

But all politicians lie so that makes is OK :roll:
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2337 times
Been liked: 3603 times

Postby Bully » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:45 pm

someone who says - i would be the full forward for the western bulldogs before i became prime minister and was given support by an independant who then allowed labor to form government, then she is doing it more so then most
Bully
Coach

Next

Board index   General Talk  Politics