The South Australian Political Landscape

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: The South Australian Political Landscape

Postby Booney » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:33 am

Brodlach wrote:Does David Spiers keep his position if the ALP win?

I so hope Tarzia gets into the job, that'll be hilarious.

Seriously though, anyone wanting to taker over from Spiers is signing a political death sentence on themselves. Even if they somehow manage to stay on board until the next election ( unlikely ) they're a lamb to the slaughter.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

Postby wenchbarwer » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:37 am

Booney wrote:
Brodlach wrote:Does David Spiers keep his position if the ALP win?

I so hope Tarzia gets into the job, that'll be hilarious.

Seriously though, anyone wanting to taker over from Spiers is signing a political death sentence on themselves. Even if they somehow manage to stay on board until the next election ( unlikely ) they're a lamb to the slaughter.

He'd be crazy enough to take the gig, I reckon
wenchbarwer
Under 16s

Has liked: 289 times
Been liked: 82 times

Postby dedja » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:48 am

Booney wrote:
dedja wrote:Has there been a more hopeless political party than the Liberal Party of SA.

Liberals in WA and VIC say "Hello". :lol:

years party in office from 1970

SA - Labor 39, Liberal 15
VIC - Labor 31, Liberal 23
WA - Labor 25, Liberal 29

:YMPEACE:
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 996 times

Postby am Bays » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:51 am

Mali and Tom sending Tamster a nice thank you note given the ALPs primary vote on Saturday?

Taking out the incumbency factor of 3% for Marshall both major parties lost about 3% of their primary vote from the 2022 election.

Both major parties should be concerned

Libs more so if they think moving further to the conservative right is best.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1812 times

Postby dedja » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:55 am

am Bays wrote:Both major parties should be concerned

Not really, rightly or wrongly, with that Greens vote, 2PP protects Labor.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:56 am

True, more so going forward I meant than back but yes.

WA currently
ALP 41
Libs 13
Nat Nutters 5

Vic currently
ALP 56
Libs 28

SA
ALP 29*
Libs 13*

( 28 and 14 currently )

Long, long way back for all of them.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby dedja » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:04 am

Whilst not strictly a Liberal, honourable mention to Campbell Newman, who in 2015 managed to turn a 78-7 seat majority into an election loss in QLD, with Labor still in power to this day (but not for much longer).

That will take some beating.
dedja
Coach

Postby dedja » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:22 am

Dear oh dear … he’s dead meat.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/david-speirs-says-hes-staying-as-sa-liberal-leader-but-wants-to-make-big-change-to-party/news-story/cf56f2f3694c4e18681e113702ca369c

David Speirs says he’s staying as SA Liberal leader but wants to make big change to party

As pressure mounts on David Speirs’ leadership after a lacklustre campaign in the Dunstan by-election, the Liberal leader insists he’s not quitting – but he will take a leaf out of Labor’s book.

As the battle for South Australia’s most marginal of Dunstan lies within Labor’s grasp and with the Liberals in turmoil, David Speirs insists he’s not going anywhere.
Liberal recriminations flew Sunday night as internal anger erupted over a lacklustre campaign, with David Speirs going to ground.

On Monday morning the Liberal leader revealed he had “canvassed” the possibility of his resignation before deciding to stay in order to pursue reforms within the party.

“I’ll be staying in this job,” Mr Speirs told ABC Radio Adelaide

“I’ve canvassed many of my colleagues over the last 48 hours – since what is clearly not a good result in the Dunstan by-election for our party – and my colleagues were firmly in support of me continuing in this role.”

Mr Speirs said he raised this matter with numerous people over the weekend, including members of parliament and those external to the institution and “everyone encouraged” him to stay.

But ultimately, Mr Speirs said he believed he was the best person for the position.

“If I didn’t think I was the best person in the team at the moment to do this job and to lead the party with a level of unity … if I didn’t think I was the right person I would walk away,” he said.

However, since making the decision to stay, Mr Speirs said he thinks this is the perfect opportunity to take a leaf out of Labor’s book and consider a factionalised party.

“I know the Labor Party have a much more structured approach and I think we should look at that … I think formalised factions should be looked at,” he said.

“I’ll probably have the same overall approach in terms of the way I lead the party and bring my colleagues together but I can use this as a reason to take control within the party, drive a different approach to perhaps the party is run.”

No official changes have been made yet.

At the end of counting on Saturday, Greens candidate Katie McCusker had polled 22.4 per cent of first preference votes – a rise of about nine per cent from the party’s Dunstan result at the 2022 state election.

In contrast, the Liberal primary in the seat, which had been held by former premier Steven Marshall, had dropped from 46.7 per cent to 40 per cent.

The Labor vote had dropped about three per cent to 32.3 per cent, but candidate Cressida O’Hanlon had polled 53.8 per cent over the Liberals’ Anna Finizio in the two-party preferred count – a swing of 4.4 per cent.
dedja
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:26 am

:lol:

He's clueless. Poor bastard.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:37 am

He is terrible, his #1 election promise was to get the on/off ramp at Majors Rd/Southern Expressway done and then when Libs didn't get in and Labor took on the project he flipped and ran a campaign against the ramp!
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2326 times
Been liked: 3506 times

Postby dedja » Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:10 pm

Whilst not yet certain, it’s very likely that Finizio è finita.

What is almost a certainty is that Spiers è finito, and will be luckily to still be leader at the end of the week.
dedja
Coach

Postby wenchbarwer » Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:23 pm

Dutchy wrote:He is terrible, his #1 election promise was to get the on/off ramp at Majors Rd/Southern Expressway done and then when Libs didn't get in and Labor took on the project he flipped and ran a campaign against the ramp!

It is a dumb idea, though
wenchbarwer
Under 16s

Postby dedja » Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:25 pm

One-way expressway says hello.
dedja
Coach

Postby am Bays » Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:44 pm

Doesn't he realise that there have been de facto factions in the liberal party since the LM split of the early 70s? it's what ahs crippled it since then

He's a political genius this is exactly what the Sa public want to hear, How you are going to formalise the internal fights within the SA Libs as opposed to how you want to govern the state.

Spanker!
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Postby am Bays » Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:45 pm

dedja wrote:
am Bays wrote:Both major parties should be concerned

Not really, rightly or wrongly, with that Greens vote, 2PP protects Labor.

yeah, true that.
am Bays
Coach

Postby dedja » Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:50 pm

am Bays wrote:Doesn't he realise that there have been de facto factions in the liberal party since the LM split of the early 70s? it's what ahs crippled it since then

He's a political genius this is exactly what the Sa public want to hear, How you are going to formalise the internal fights within the SA Libs as opposed to how you want to govern the state.

Spanker!

Hatfields and McCoys … still strong after 2 generations
dedja
Coach

Postby dedja » Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:40 pm

The Electoral Commission of SA just updated the Dunstan by-election count … the number of votes counted reduced by 13.

So in about 7 hours today you managed to lose 13 ballots, great work.

We should know the result by Christmas.
dedja
Coach

Postby am Bays » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:03 pm

dedja wrote:The Electoral Commission of SA just updated the Dunstan by-election count … the number of votes counted reduced by 13.

So in about 7 hours today you managed to lose 13 ballots, great work.

We should know the result by Christmas.

Get a life....

Leave the poor public servants alone, they're coming off a Saturday shift!

:D
am Bays
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:15 pm

wenchbarwer wrote:
Dutchy wrote:He is terrible, his #1 election promise was to get the on/off ramp at Majors Rd/Southern Expressway done and then when Libs didn't get in and Labor took on the project he flipped and ran a campaign against the ramp!

It's only needed one way - to be able to head South or get off when coming from the South, don't see the need for people to get on/off going to/from the city.

Currently anyone in Sheidow Park. Flaggy, H/Valley, A/Park needs to etiher get on at Lonsdale or go backwards down the hill to get on at Marion Rd.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2326 times
Been liked: 3506 times

Postby wenchbarwer » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:45 pm

Dutchy wrote:
wenchbarwer wrote:

It's only needed one way - to be able to head South or get off when coming from the South, don't see the need for people to get on/off going to/from the city.

Currently anyone in Sheidow Park. Flaggy, H/Valley, A/Park needs to etiher get on at Lonsdale or go backwards down the hill to get on at Marion Rd.

You can get on/off at Old Reynella, which is right next to Sheidow/Happy Valley
wenchbarwer
Under 16s

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics