The South Australian Political Landscape

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: The South Australian Political Landscape

Postby Gozu » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:21 pm

SA Labor MP Ian Hunter reprimanded for going nuts at a female Vic Labor MP in a restaurant here.

A South Australian minister has been reminded to behave appropriately by the Premier, and had his actions condemned by the Deputy Prime Minister after an expletive-laden outburst in relation to the Murray-Darling Basin Plan.

SA Water Minister Ian Hunter reportedly hurled profanities at his Victorian counterpart Lisa Neville and other state and federal politicians during a dinner at Rigoni's restaurant in Adelaide.

The tirade came as he rebuked the efforts of other states to change the current Murray-Darling plan.

"F*** you all," he said.

Mr Hunter repeatedly told fellow Labor Party minister Ms Neville, "f*** you," and called her a "c***" before storming out of the dinner.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-11-19/s ... st/8039798
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby stan » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:38 pm

Thats actually quite funny. Now how he acted was inappropriate of course but still a rather humerious story none the less.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1254 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Gozu » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:55 pm

stan wrote:Thats actually quite funny. Now how he acted was inappropriate of course but still a rather humerious story none the less.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

That's what I thought too it's always humorous when someone loses their shit in public I'm sure most of them there would've been sniggerring rather than pearl clutching. At least he was sticking up for us not great form but at least there's that.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby Booney » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:51 am

And so it goes on.

The gubment are threatening to withhold payments to the SAHP for not completing contracted works, the SAHP is threatening to counter sue for withholding payments when the gubment (in SAHP views) are incorrect and all the while the most expensive hospital in the world is still laying idle.

My information suggests the hospital will not be ready for patients to be moved into until late 2017 at best. Still at least 12 months away.

By the way, if the gubment pull the contract SAHP will be after around $4bn in their counter suit. $.4.Bn.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:53 am

A former colleague of mine has just taken on the senior media advisor role for the NRAH. I wish them well.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Booney » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:01 am

Dogwatcher wrote:A former colleague of mine has just taken on the senior media advisor role for the NRAH. I wish them well.

For them I hope it pays well, really well. Including time to sleep during the day after laying awake all night.....
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:25 am

Dogwatcher wrote:A former colleague of mine has just taken on the senior media advisor role for the NRAH. I wish them well.

For the JV or the Govt assuming they accept it?
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 720 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Magellan » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:32 am

The state Liberals have effectively been handed two further seats that could see them win a thumping majority if they replicate their 2014 statewide vote at the next election, after the commission charged with redrawing the electoral map made significant changes in its final report.

http://indaily.com.au/news/politics/201 ... 2018-poll/

These changes might be the only way the Libs can get back into power. If Muhammad can't come to the mountain, the I guess the mountain has to come to Muhammad.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby stan » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:15 pm

Magellan wrote:The state Liberals have effectively been handed two further seats that could see them win a thumping majority if they replicate their 2014 statewide vote at the next election, after the commission charged with redrawing the electoral map made significant changes in its final report.

These changes might be the only way the Libs can get back into power. If Muhammad can't come to the mountain, the I guess the mountain has to come to Muhammad.

They will still find a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.
stan
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:02 pm

A challenge they are most certainly up for.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:01 pm

Magellan wrote:The state Liberals have effectively been handed two further seats that could see them win a thumping majority if they replicate their 2014 statewide vote at the next election, after the commission charged with redrawing the electoral map made significant changes in its final report.

At the 2 PP of 53% / 47% it should probably be 25 / 22. Poor Labor :(
In 2014, Victoria Labor won the election with a 2 PP of 52% / 48% and seats split of 47 / 38 / 2 which is way out of whack

The overwhelming surprise is the difference between the draft report and the final report
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 720 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby stan » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:34 pm

With the latest unemployment figures it looks like you could draw a line down the slight right of centre Australia with those figures:
Australian unemployment rates:

Australia — 5.7%
NSW — 4.9%
Victoria — 6%
Queensland — 6%
South Australia — 7%
Western Australia — 6.9%
Tasmania — 6.4%
stan
Coach

Postby stan » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:39 pm

At the end of the day, having Northern running to bounce the States load a bit would go along way in securing our power system. SA needs that additional generation source, but as always we are always in out own way...

Plan to reopen Port Augusta’s Northern power station abandoned because of red tape

A PLAN to reopen Port Augusta’s Northern power station in a bid to help safeguard the state against blackouts has been abandoned because of red tape. ElectraNet and the owners of Northern and considered switching the power station back on, but not to produce energy and instead used as a converter to stabilise the grid which has become more volatile due to wind generation.

But the plan was axed when both companies realised a full assessment of the option, which was required under regulations, could not be carried out before the scheduled demolition of the plant.

The revelation comes as the Australian Energy Market Commission released an interim report

into a review of power system security in the national electricity market.

It found that new measures were needed to provide extra stability for the system most likely through machines which could include old coal-fired plants.

This was because historically the national grid had “plentiful” stability provided by conventional

generators such as coal and gas-fired power stations and hydro plant.

The review found newer types of electricity generators including wind and rooftop solar were not as stable and fed into the grid at a different frequency which created further stability issues.

“There are challenges ahead in managing system security. And system security is essential in order to allow reliable electricity supplies to be provided to customers,” AEMC chairman John Pierce said.

On Wednesday, the State and Federal governments again locked horns on energy policy at a meeting of the Council of Australian Governments Energy Council meeting in Melbourne on Wednesday.

Federal Energy Minister Josh Frydenberg likened taking advice for the SA Government on energy policy to “being taught how to speak by Marcel Marceau”.

“It just doesn’t work,” he said on Wednesday.
It follows the SA Government pushing an Emissions Intensity Scheme which creates a baseline for carbon emissions which would result in gas and renewable generators earing credits which coal generators would need to purchase.

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull ruled out such a scheme last week despite a number of independent reports presented to the Government supporting its introduction.

On releasing a report into energy market security this week, Australian Energy Market Operator chair Dr Tony Marxson said “markets could even pay owners of old coal plants to keep their generators spinning and connected” to create more stability in the National Energy Market.

AEMO said that the conversion process was “currently quite rare” but was aware of 12 projects undertaken in the US.

The managing director of the company which owns Northern, Flinders Power told The Advertiser that it had jointly funded a study into keeping the power station open to provide stability with ElectraNet — the company in charge of the state’s transmission system.
“This option was not considered viable in the short period (because) a decision was required to be made to fund the project before the Northern power station demolition commenced,” Michael Riches said.

Mr Riches said the power station would be demolished within one to two months but said it would take a minimum of a year to do a full study and assessment of the proposal which was required under Government regulation.

He said, therefore, the idea was considered unviable because of timing.

State Energy Minister Tom Koutsantonis said running Northern to simply stabilise the grid was “a grossly expensive and highly inefficient option”.

“The Government is working on more cost efficient and effective ways of better integrating renewables into our grid,” he said.
stan
Coach

Postby Psyber » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:40 pm

stan wrote:State Energy Minister Tom Koutsantonis said running Northern to simply stabilise the grid was “a grossly expensive and highly inefficient option”.

“The Government is working on more cost efficient and effective ways of better integrating renewables into our grid,” he said.

There may be hope for reliance on renewable energy sources on the horizon.

I've always worried about the batteries issue because of the problem of disposing of lithium safely when batteries die and molten salt has looked hard to control and maintain, and potentially expensive.

This option is said to be fully recyclable - maybe it is...
Lithium or Vanadium: In Energy Storage, It's No Contest - Renewable ...
http://www.renewableenergyworld.com/art ... ntest.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanadium_redox_battery

However I still wonder whether Thorium fission may be cheaper and more reliable in the long run...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/comm ... orium.html
http://www.ensec.org/index.php?option=c ... Itemid=342
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 390 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby DOC » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:09 pm

Psyber wrote:[

However I still wonder whether [b]Thorium fission may be cheaper and more reliable in the long run...[/b]

I've often wondered that too.

Surely its time for a revamped flux capicitor to be considered.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 732 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Postby tipper » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:40 am

DOC wrote:
Psyber wrote:[

However I still wonder whether [b]Thorium fission may be cheaper and more reliable in the long run...[/b]

I've often wondered that too.

Surely its time for a revamped flux capicitor to be considered.

wouldnt work. the state government is only interested in lowering speed limits. no way they would go 88mph (141 odd km\h).....
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:43 am

You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Booney » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:51 am

Dogwatcher wrote:http://indaily.com.au/news/local/2016/12/20/breaking-labor-launches-unprecedented-court-action-in-electoral-boundaries-battle/

So they'll be in court for the nRAH and Electoral Boundaries in the lead up to the election.

Libs could still lose though. :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Magellan » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:03 am

Dogwatcher wrote:http://indaily.com.au/news/local/2016/12/20/breaking-labor-launches-unprecedented-court-action-in-electoral-boundaries-battle/

Very interesting. Not sure Labor's on a winner here, though.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby stan » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:10 pm

Booney wrote:

So they'll be in court for the nRAH and Electoral Boundaries in the lead up to the election.

Libs could still lose though. [emoji38]

Thats because Marshall is like that key defender that is so useless your key forward kicks 10 on him and you list that bloke in your own best players.
stan
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics