Navy intercepts seventh boat of asylum-seekers in two months

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: Navy intercepts seventh boat of asylum-seekers in two mo

Postby Jimmy_041 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:13 pm

bulldogproud2 wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:
So many holes in that article you could drive a truck through them

National pride might be chastened to realise how few of those who find themselves approaching Christmas Island actually set out with a specific vision of Australia as their promised land.

So where the dickens were they going? Antarctica? Have you ever looked at a map of where Christmas Island is???

Give me a break: what a crock of $hit

They are just happy to get anywhere. The point trying to be made is that rather going 'towards' somewhere, they are getting 'away' from somewhere - persecution, threats to their life etc.
Cheers

So, they had no idea Christmas Island is Australian territory? Oh, that's right, they're illiterate - they just set their sail for due South hoping to hit some sandy beach somewhere, and if they didn't, then it didn't matter because they had given up on life altogether. You are kidding, aren't you? If you're not: end of discussion. I wont waste any more time on this subject.

Savitri Taylor must be so biased she can't even recognise the absurdity of her writings. Never set out to get to Australia: what a load of bull$hit. There is nothing else out there. Here, this expanded map might help you and her out:

Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 720 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Jimmy_041 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:21 pm

bulldogproud2 wrote:
bennymacca wrote:Pretty much agree with all of that

Yes, it does get pretty worrying when even Chinese officials, with a valid reason, condemn Australia's human rights policies.

and I'm really going to listen to them about human rights :roll: Ever heard of Tibet?
This really is getting ridiculous when you have people listening to the Iranians and Chinese criticising us about human rights.
I wonder what the Khmer Rouge have to say about it.
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 720 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby bennymacca » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:46 pm

Notwithstanding, are we then allowed to do anything we want so long as it is not as bad as somewhere else in the world?
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby bulldogproud2 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:57 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:
bulldogproud2 wrote:
bennymacca wrote:Pretty much agree with all of that

Yes, it does get pretty worrying when even Chinese officials, with a valid reason, condemn Australia's human rights policies.

and I'm really going to listen to them about human rights :roll: Ever heard of Tibet?
This really is getting ridiculous when you have people listening to the Iranians and Chinese criticising us about human rights.
I wonder what the Khmer Rouge have to say about it.

Jimmy, you are right. Australia's treatment of asylum seekers IS ridiculous.
Australia is the only country that has stated it will never allow asylum seekers travelling by boat to step foot on its land.
Australia is the only country that has gone into another country's sovereign waters to turn back boats of asylum seekers.
Australia is the only country that has set up detention centres in other countries to accept asylum seekers travelling to it.

Yes, it is ridiculous that China accepts a lot more asylum seekers than Australia does.

Chinese officials have no leg to stand on when it comes to its human rights record overall. However, it is a very sad indictment and really a crying shame when they actually do have a reason for criticising one of our international policies.
bulldogproud2
League - Best 21

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby bulldogproud2 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:12 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:
bulldogproud2 wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:
So many holes in that article you could drive a truck through them

National pride might be chastened to realise how few of those who find themselves approaching Christmas Island actually set out with a specific vision of Australia as their promised land.

So where the dickens were they going? Antarctica? Have you ever looked at a map of where Christmas Island is???

Give me a break: what a crock of $hit

They are just happy to get anywhere. The point trying to be made is that rather going 'towards' somewhere, they are getting 'away' from somewhere - persecution, threats to their life etc.
Cheers

So, they had no idea Christmas Island is Australian territory? Oh, that's right, they're illiterate - they just set their sail for due South hoping to hit some sandy beach somewhere, and if they didn't, then it didn't matter because they had given up on life altogether. You are kidding, aren't you? If you're not: end of discussion. I wont waste any more time on this subject.

Savitri Taylor must be so biased she can't even recognise the absurdity of her writings. Never set out to get to Australia: what a load of bull$hit. There is nothing else out there. Here, this expanded map might help you and her out:

Jimmy, for starters have you never heard of New Zealand?? I guess not. I am confident that these asylum seekers would prefer to head there than Australia if they had a choice.
Yes, your general geography is good but do not forget that people from Afghanistan, Iran and Iraq may never have ever had a geography lesson in their life. It IS quite likely that they did not know that they were heading to Australia, believe it or not. Heck, when I travelled through Europe, a lot of people there had no clue where Australia is. This is people from countries that do have an education.

However, this is not the point that is being made in the article. Knowing that you are a man of intelligence, i truly thought you would be able to see that. You seem to be convinced of the fact that the main reasons asylum seekers travel is to head TO somewhere. The main reason is not heading to but heading AWAY. They are heading away from persecution, the risk of being killed etc. Their final destination is not important, as long as they arrive in a land where they may not have to fear that their lives are in danger.

Heck, have a look at the list of countries that asylum seekers go to to gain refugee status. if it was with the aim of going TO a country with wonderful living standards, why then are these countries at the top of the list:
Pakistan (number 1)
Iran (number 2)
Syria (number 3)
Kenya (number 5)
Jordan (number 6)
Chad (number 7)
China (number 8 )
Ethiopia (number 9)
Bangladesh (number 11)

This is the list that you provided earlier, your own list. The one that Australia is number 47 on.

Will it ever sink into you that asyum seekers travel FROM, not travel TO?

Cheers
bulldogproud2
League - Best 21

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:33 pm

bennymacca wrote:That's what processing centres are for. 100% agree with them. What I don't agree with is Australians forcibly turning board back, sending those people to PNG and then settling them in PNG, never to set foot in Australia. I think that is incredibly inhumane

Maybe they have been processed and found to not be genuine refugees.
Cannabis is safer than alcohol
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 193 times

Postby bennymacca » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:53 pm

Nope, every boat arrival has no prospect of setting foot in Australia at the moment, even if the have been deemed to be genuine. That is the reason that the UN aren't too happy with us at the moment
bennymacca
Coach

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:04 pm

Don't we have the right to see if they are genuine first?
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Postby Q. » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:16 pm

The Sleeping Giant wrote:Don't we have the right to see if they are genuine first?

Yep, process them onshore like they do with asylum seekers arriving by plane.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby bulldogproud2 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:20 pm

The Sleeping Giant wrote:Don't we have the right to see if they are genuine first?

We sure should. No one at all is arguing that. As benny said, the current policy is that even the genuine (which based on latest figures turns out to be between 90-95% or asylum seekers arriving by boat) asylum seekers will NEVER set foot in Australia.

Also, as Q says, what is wrong with processing them onshore rather than washing our hands of the problem and saying that it is the rest of the world's and not ours? Processing, in almost all cases, should take less than six months. Then, yes, send those back who are found not to be genuine. None of us have any problem with that at all.
I would love to see them processed in Indonesia to be honest, though, as they would not have to even embark on a journey by sea.

Cheers
bulldogproud2
League - Best 21

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:50 pm

I don't think we are washing our hands with processing off shore. Very expensive hand wash.

Isn't it a good idea to discourage illegal immigrants from being preyed upon by the Indonesian crooks who supply the boats? Also discouraging illegals risking their lives on the open seas?
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:33 pm

The Sleeping Giant wrote:I don't think we are washing our hands with processing off shore. Very expensive hand wash.

Isn't it a good idea to discourage illegal immigrants from being preyed upon by the Indonesian crooks who supply the boats? Also discouraging illegals risking their lives on the open seas?

we are washing our hands of them because we arent letting ANY of them settle here, and effectively offloading them onto PNG
bennymacca
Coach

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:35 pm

Must not be genuine refugees then.
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:23 pm

The Sleeping Giant wrote:Must not be genuine refugees then.

NO!! Please go inform yourself if you don't know this otherwise you shouldn't really be posting in this throws.

Part of the new strategy is to not let anyone in that comes by boat. Even when 90+% of them are genuine. It breaks the UN convention for refugees in the process.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:45 pm

bennymacca wrote:
The Sleeping Giant wrote:Must not be genuine refugees then.

NO!! Please go inform yourself if you don't know this otherwise you shouldn't really be posting in this throws.

Part of the new strategy is to not let anyone in that comes by boat. Even when 90+% of them are genuine. It breaks the UN convention for refugees in the process.

How do you know they are genuine refugees? Are you on Manus? Are you processing the people?
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:49 pm

FFS I AM TALKING ABOUT THE GENUINE REFUGEES.

abc.net.au/news/2013-07-19/manus-island-detention-centre-to-be-expanded-under-rudd27s-asy/4830778
bennymacca
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:50 pm

please go and inform yourself before you keep posting stupid comments.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:00 pm

Why aren't you over there screening these illegal immigrants? You can obviously save the government a heap of money, seeing as though you can tell they are genuine from your lounge room.

You don't really seem to have any answers though. You just seem to be getting angry and repeating yourself.

P. S. I hope they keep coming. I wouldn't have the job I currently do if the illegals just stopped. Great job with nice pay too. Getting plenty of experience in new roles. Always like to put a positive spin on things.
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:12 am

Are you properly retarded?
bennymacca
Coach

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:24 am

LOL. There is that anger again.

Once you accept the fact not everyone is going to agree with your opinions, you will find life much more enjoyable.
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics