The Greatest Treasurer

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: The Greatest Treasurer

Postby dedja » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:58 pm

No head?
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 236 times
Been liked: 1055 times

Postby Dirko » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:14 pm

dedja wrote:No head?

Can't afford it.....
The joy of being on the hill drinking beer cannot be understated
Dirko
Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Jimmy_041 » Tue May 01, 2012 5:41 pm

It appears Wayne Swan has been to the Jack Snelling (& redandblack) school of how to sell $hit

NEWS - Politics & IR
Swan says rate cut made possible by Labor policy
Published 3:03 PM, 1 May 2012 Last update 3:50 PM, 1 May 2012

Federal Treasurer Wayne Swan has lauded the Reserve Bank of Australia's decision to cut the official cash rate by 50 basis points, saying it is Labor's fiscal policy that has made it possible.

The Reserve Bank of Australia cut the cash rate to 3.75 per cent.

:lol:

See - we're sending the country into recession so you can save on your mortgage payments
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 729 times
Been liked: 1089 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby gossipgirl » Wed May 02, 2012 2:02 pm

will the big wanks sorry banks pass on the cut in rates otherwise its pretty irrelevant
Adelaide Crows World champions 2017 - Crows 4.11 to Lions 4.5
gossipgirl
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1440 times
Been liked: 57 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby Sojourner » Wed May 02, 2012 2:04 pm

Bank of Queensland who were already lower than the others have gone .35% and seem to be (again) getting plenty of Free Advertising across the ABC and commercial news services.
Steamranger, South Australia's best ever Tourist Attraction, Treat Yourself, Let your Money Buy you Happiness!!!
Sojourner
Veteran

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Ovingham

Postby Sky Pilot » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:55 am

The World's Greatest Treasurer?

QUIZ TIME:

Q. How did Wayne Swan save Australia from the Global Financial Crisis?
A. He used all the money put aside by Peter Costello.

Q. How many surplus budgets has Wayne Swan brought in?
A. None.

Q. How many surplus budgets did Peter Costello bring in?
A. 10 out of 11.

Q. Which Australian Federal Treasurer managed to turn a $80b surplus
into a $153b budget debt in just 3 years?
A. Wayne Swan.

Q. Which Australian Federal Treasurer has to steal money from the
'Futures Fund' to give the false impression that his economic
management has brought the budget back into surplus by 2012-13?
A. Wayne Swan.

Q. What did Wayne Swan do to receive the World's Greatest Treasurer
title?
A. He spent all the money Peter Costello put in the bank.

Q. Where would Wayne Swan be if he didn't have a mining boom and China
to prop him up?
A. Up that creek without a paddle.

Q. How is Wayne Swan planning on getting the budget back into surplus
by 2012-2013 apart from robbing the 'Futures Fund'.
A. He is going to spend the mining boom funds on the NBN and illegal
immigrant welfare and then tax the backside off you via the Carbon Tax,
the Congestion Tax, scrubbing the health rebate for wage earners
over $80K and upping the GST rate and any other tax he can come up
with.
Don't anyone dare mention a fat-tax!

Go Wayne! Anywhere! Just go, and take Gillard with you!
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Grassroots Team: BMW

Postby Gozu » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:31 am

You're so delusional SP I dare say you'd almost believe that rubbish.

At the end of the day the fundamental difference between Labor and the Libs for the most part is that Labor believe the money should be spent on the people where as the Libs prefer to stick it all in a glass case and beat off over it.

How any government of any colour can morally justify having a $20 billion surplus is reprehensible.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby Sky Pilot » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:39 am

Gozu wrote:You're so delusional SP I dare say you'd almost believe that rubbish.

At the end of the day the fundamental difference between Labor and the Libs for the most part is that Labor believe the money should be spent on the people where as the Libs prefer to stick it all in a glass case and beat off over it.

How any government of any colour can morally justify having a $20 billion surplus is reprehensible.

I can't compete with that logic. You win
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Postby Gozu » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:20 am

Sky Pilot wrote:
Gozu wrote:You're so delusional SP I dare say you'd almost believe that rubbish.

Of course you can't by definition a surplus means you're either not spending enough on the people or taking too much tax from them.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Postby Sky Pilot » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:24 pm

Gozu wrote:
Sky Pilot wrote:

Of course you can't by definition a surplus means you're either not spending enough on the people or taking too much tax from them.

Or putting up a bank to negate the effects of a possible GFC. Oh, hang on.....
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Postby gossipgirl » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:49 pm

it cracks me up that some people really think there is a difference between the 2 major parties. it is hysterical how gullible people really are.

Both parties take all the credit when there is an economic boom (even though it is generally controlled by external forces) and then when things go pear shaped its always blamed on externals.

Tippett should be made treasurer as he seems to be able to attract lots of money :D
Adelaide Crows World champions 2017 - Crows 4.11 to Lions 4.5
gossipgirl
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1440 times
Been liked: 57 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby Gozu » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:43 pm

gossipgirl wrote:it cracks me up that some people really think there is a difference between the 2 major parties. it is hysterical how gullible people really are.

Both parties take all the credit when there is an economic boom (even though it is generally controlled by external forces) and then when things go pear shaped its always blamed on externals.

Tippett should be made treasurer as he seems to be able to attract lots of money :D

I'm going to have to assume this post was directed towards SP ;)

I agree there are bugger all differences between the two these days, they're just different sides of the same coin but the economical ideologies still differ somewhat.

There is no way the Libs would've borrowed anywhere near as much as Labor did to protect people's jobs when the GFC struck.
Gozu
Coach

Postby Sojourner » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:27 pm

Gozu wrote:How any government of any colour can morally justify having a $20 billion surplus is reprehensible.

What would have then been the result of not doing so? More borrowed money and more austerity measures to bail the country out to cope with the GFC?

What I would like to know is how any government can morally justify those on low or fixed incomes being made to pay increases on their electricity bills to fund Solar Panels for those wealthy enough to have them installed in their non rented homes?
Steamranger, South Australia's best ever Tourist Attraction, Treat Yourself, Let your Money Buy you Happiness!!!
Sojourner
Veteran

Has liked: 7 times
Grassroots Team: Ovingham

Postby Gozu » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:30 pm

Sojourner wrote:What would have then been the result of not doing so? More borrowed money and more austerity measures to bail the country out to cope with the GFC?

I can't remember the exact figure we borrowed to cope with the GFC (120 billion?), what's the difference between borrowing $120 billion and $140 billion? We're projected to be back in surplus next year too.

What I would like to know is how any government can morally justify those on low or fixed incomes being made to pay increases on their electricity bills to fund Solar Panels for those wealthy enough to have them installed in their non rented homes?

I'm not across the details on this but if as you say then that sounds pretty unfair to me.
Gozu
Coach

Postby scoob » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:49 am

Gozu wrote:
Sojourner wrote:What would have then been the result of not doing so? More borrowed money and more austerity measures to bail the country out to cope with the GFC?

I can't remember the exact figure we borrowed to cope with the GFC (120 billion?), what's the difference between borrowing $120 billion and $140 billion? We're projected to be back in surplus next year too.

I'm not across the details on this but if as you say then that sounds pretty unfair to me.

You could be a Labor MP with that type of attitude... ah - what's $20b dollars - who cares
scoob
Veteran

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 87 times

Postby Gozu » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:44 pm

scoob wrote:You could be a Labor MP with that type of attitude... ah - what's $20b dollars - who cares

What are you a complete idiot?

$20 billion is nothing for our situation, the $140 billion debt or whatever from just a few years ago is almost wiped out now!
Gozu
Coach

Postby scoob » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:07 pm

Gozu wrote:
scoob wrote:You could be a Labor MP with that type of attitude... ah - what's $20b dollars - who cares

What are you a complete idiot?

$20 billion is nothing for our situation, the $140 billion debt or whatever from just a few years ago is almost wiped out now!

It's 4 NRAHs...
scoob
Veteran

Postby Gozu » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:17 pm

Oh wow. We're talking about a Trillion dollar economy here.
Gozu
Coach

Postby scoob » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:32 pm

Gozu wrote:Oh wow. We're talking about a Trillion dollar economy here.

Tell that to SA Health
scoob
Veteran

Postby Q. » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:40 pm

SA is basket case.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times