Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: Abbott Watch

Postby woodublieve12 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:43 am

Bully wrote:So Julia won't be ?

nope
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3068 times
Been liked: 2437 times

Postby gossipgirl » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:13 pm

bulldogproud2 wrote:Things seem to be going from bad to worse to terrible for this new government already.

We now have the debacle over not wanting to report boat arrivals (knowing that the 'stop the boats policy has no hope of working. Admittedly, I am glad it won't and I want to see far more humane treatment of asylum seekers)

Also, the decision by Joe Hockey not to pursue surplus budgets any more, conceding that the Labor Party's management of the economy was how Australia needed it to be.

Additionally, the mass resignation of the NBN Board due to the incompetence of the new government and the knowledge that their Broadband policy would be a terrible one to pursue, with Australia falling way behind the rest of the world in terms of internet speed.
One can only hope that for Australia's sake that things start to improve.

I am still waiting to find any adults in the new government .... where are they hiding ? :lol:
Adelaide Crows World champions 2017 - Crows 4.11 to Lions 4.5
gossipgirl
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1452 times
Been liked: 57 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby Bully » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:53 pm

bulldogproud2 wrote:Things seem to be going from bad to worse to terrible for this new government already.

We now have the debacle over not wanting to report boat arrivals (knowing that the 'stop the boats policy has no hope of working. Admittedly, I am glad it won't and I want to see far more humane treatment of asylum seekers)

Also, the decision by Joe Hockey not to pursue surplus budgets any more, conceding that the Labor Party's management of the economy was how Australia needed it to be.

Additionally, the mass resignation of the NBN Board due to the incompetence of the new government and the knowledge that their Broadband policy would be a terrible one to pursue, with Australia falling way behind the rest of the world in terms of internet speed.

so how do you stop the boats then?
Not sure if you have posted it already but cant be stuffed flicking through hundreds of posts to find it...
Bully
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 120 times

Postby Bully » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:54 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:
Bully wrote:So Julia won't be ?

nope

no she was the best ;)
Bully
Coach

Postby Psyber » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:10 pm

Gozu wrote:
Psyber wrote:It seems obvious to me that the fibre to the node can be set up more affordably, and more quickly,
I believe Turnbull's line is sooner, cheaper and more affordably!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-6E5yX1E0U
I'm with you whilst people might want faster internet they don't need it, much like people don't need to go faster than speeding limits allow with Porsche's that can do a million km's an hour hey Psyber?
True.
However, if I do want to go faster in the road context I pay any costs incurred not the taxpayer...
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 397 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:13 pm

If I want faster internet, I pay the extra cost also. Taxpayers pay for both infrastructure used.
Cannabis is safer than alcohol
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 193 times

Postby Psyber » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:17 pm

The Sleeping Giant wrote:If I want faster internet, I pay the extra cost also.
True again.
But FTTH requires a much more significant "road upgrade" than FTTN, at the public expense, quite apart from the pricing of the speed categories in the plans on offer on either system.
Psyber
Coach

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:24 pm

It will be cheaper, granted, for now, but in the long run more expensive when the copper does go.

Here is a new road that you can drive fast on, but the people across the road have to drive on the old one with potholes.

P. S. I will be getting the new road anyway, but it would be nice if everyone got the benefit. Having seen first hand what the nbn is capable of, the people and businesses that do have access are going to get a huge advantage.
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Postby Psyber » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:02 pm

The Sleeping Giant wrote:It will be cheaper, granted, for now, but in the long run more expensive when the copper does go.

Here is a new road that you can drive fast on, but the people across the road have to drive on the old one with potholes.

P. S. I will be getting the new road anyway, but it would be nice if everyone got the benefit. Having seen first hand what the nbn is capable of, the people and businesses that do have access are going to get a huge advantage.
In theory my location was due to be hooked up to FTTH during October and if it happens, with the free connection, I'll take it.
However, a 30 GB, 25mbps plan would be all I need, though I may indulge myself with 50mbps for a few dollars more.
But FTTN will deliver that too, and so it doesn't matter much to me personally.

If there is no free connection, I can live with my 10GB plan and the 6.4 mbps speed, which is all I get out of ADSL2+ because of my distance from the exchange.
Psyber
Coach

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:26 pm

I couldn't get by with anything less than 100gb. With Netflix, Spotify, JTV, TwitchTV, Steam and other gaming download sites, unlimited would be more desirable. The next gen gaming consoles will have same day release available for digital download. Next gen games could be upto 40gb a game to download. So as you can see, and I'm not a member of the newer generations, the Nbn isn't designed for people who can get by on 6gb download limits at a snails pace. Then there is the benefit in health and education. When you can sit in a room, and hold meetings, interviews, lessons and medical appointments in real time with a person/persons in different states, the benefits are endless especially for people in regional/remote places. What a wasted opportunity for this country if it gets scaled back too save some money in the short term, which will eventually cost more in the long term and end up being built the same.
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Postby Psyber » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:53 pm

The Sleeping Giant wrote:I couldn't get by with anything less than 100gb. With Netflix, Spotify, JTV, TwitchTV, Steam and other gaming download sites, unlimited would be more desirable. The next gen gaming consoles will have same day release available for digital download. Next gen games could be upto 40gb a game to download. So as you can see, and I'm not a member of the newer generations, the Nbn isn't designed for people who can get by on 6gb download limits at a snails pace. Then there is the benefit in health and education. When you can sit in a room, and hold meetings, interviews, lessons and medical appointments in real time with a person/persons in different states, the benefits are endless especially for people in regional/remote places. What a wasted opportunity for this country if it gets scaled back too save some money in the short term, which will eventually cost more in the long term and end up being built the same.
I've recently done a few medical consultations and treatment team conference meetings by Skype and by other more secure options.
Those done recently from a hospital in northern NSW to more remote regions were done on a 512 kbps plan and those in southern WA over Christmas ran on 1.5mbps.

Admittedly the 1.5mbps set up was better, and it works noticeably better still on my current 6.4mbps.
However, when you get down to transmitting MRI scan files I agree faster would be better...

I wouldn't have time in my life for "Netflix, Spotify, JTV, TwitchTV, Steam and other gaming download sites" so I guess it makes sense that we see things differently there.
I rarely use more than 6GB a month of my 10GB download plan, even with my use of Skype once or twice most days and my VoIP phone system.

I guess it comes down to what most of the population need and which plan will get speeds at or above 1.5mbps to any remote area, where the real need is, within any foreseeable future.
Psyber
Coach

Postby bulldogproud2 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:45 am

Bully wrote:

so how do you stop the boats then?
Not sure if you have posted it already but cant be stuffed flicking through hundreds of posts to find it...

You don't, you can't. Not unless you can stop the wars and persecution that is happening in the world.
I really don't know why some people in Australia see asylum seekers as that much of a problem though. There are 48 countries in the world that receive more asylum seekers than we do. On average, we receive 2,000 asylum seekers a year by boat whilst we have 200,000 a year move here as immigrants. Yes, the numbers are up at the moment but that is due to the tensions that are happening throughout the world. It has had nothing to do with Australia's policies. It will always be a 'push factor' rather than a 'pull factor' that has asylum seekers travelling.
If it is concern for people running the risk of dying whilst travelling on the seas, then what you need to do is take away the need for them to travel by actually going to Indonesia and helping them travel.
Cheers
bulldogproud2
League - Best 21

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby Jase » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:58 pm

We have just built a house in Golden Grove and are moving our cable broadband (Telstra) to the new place. They have advised that we are in an NBN area and they are upping our download limit from 200Gb to 500Gb for the same cost...

Connection happening next Monday... Loving the NBN...

:supz:
Jase
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1528 times
Been liked: 573 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:18 pm

Jase wrote:We have just built a house in Golden Grove and are moving our cable broadband (Telstra) to the new place. They have advised that we are in an NBN area and they are upping our download limit from 200Gb to 500Gb for the same cost...

Connection happening next Monday... Loving the NBN...

:supz:

See, the Coalition Government is achieving already :rock:
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1140 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby shoe boy » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:32 am

Julie Bishop,41% of women in your ministries !! Errrrrrrrr no
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 491 times
Been liked: 208 times

Postby tigerpie » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:04 am

I cant believe people voted for this flog of a party. Hoping its only for 3 years!!!
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 551 times
Been liked: 479 times

Postby Sky Pilot » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:22 am

tigerpie wrote:I cant believe people voted for this flog of a party. Hoping its only for 3 years!!!

So who do hope will be in charge in three years time?
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: BMW

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:24 am

Someone from either party who runs this place with an eye to the long-term, not the short-term political gain that we are seeing now and saw under the Labor terms.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby bulldogproud2 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:29 am

Well, now we have the chance to see if Tony has any integrity at all. After all the rantings and ravings about Craig Thomson's misappropriation of union funds, he has no choice but to sack both George Brandis and Barnaby Joyce from his front bench after their misappropriation of thousands of dollars of taxpayer's money.
Things are just going from bad to worse to outright ugly for this government.
bulldogproud2
League - Best 21

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby Bully » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:56 am

bulldogproud2 wrote:Well, now we have the chance to see if Tony has any integrity at all. After all the rantings and ravings about Craig Thomson's misappropriation of union funds, he has no choice but to sack both George Brandis and Barnaby Joyce from his front bench after their misappropriation of thousands of dollars of taxpayer's money.
Things are just going from bad to worse to outright ugly for this government.

they are? No worries Bill...

I wouldn't think being in government for 2 weeks would be able to change the issues that the former government had caused?
Bully
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics