Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: Abbott Watch

Postby gossipgirl » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:55 pm

Sky Pilot wrote:If Costello had have replaced Howard a year or two before the election and took the Coalition into the 2007 ballot he would have stitched Rudd up and made him look the fraud that he really is and won the bloody thing. Think of the billions we could saved. Makes me very angry.

What Costello would have stopped the GFC or perhaps created another tax that everyone has to pay!!!

I do believe Costello would have made the result closer but still think he wouldnt have won.
Adelaide Crows World champions 2017 - Crows 4.11 to Lions 4.5
gossipgirl
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1452 times
Been liked: 57 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:27 pm

Leaping Lindner wrote: Spineless.....

I rest my case
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 758 times
Been liked: 1140 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby bulldogproud2 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:36 pm

Sky Pilot wrote:If Costello had have replaced Howard a year or two before the election and took the Coalition into the 2007 ballot he would have stitched Rudd up and made him look the fraud that he really is and won the bloody thing. Think of the billions we could saved. Makes me very angry.

... and he would have therefore sent us into a recession we would still be trying to recover from. At the time of the GFC, Abbott stated that there is no way Australia would avoid double-digit unemployment and it would last a long time!!
The stimulus stopped this from happening. Btw, I think you will find at least 95% of schools happy with the money that was spent on them during this time. Also, haven't heard of too many voters handing back the money they were given at the time. ;)
Cheers
bulldogproud2
League - Best 21

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby bulldogproud2 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:45 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:I have to admit, I am disappointed at not having a named Minister for about 100 of my special interests
OMFG, are they ignoring them and the 100 people who actually care about each issue and require a special mention?
Welcome to the government of what actually matters...............

So, Aged Care, Disability Services and Science don't matter??????
But ANZAC Day Cookies do???
Give it a rest ;)

Could a government have made a worse start??
Firstly, political interference resulting in Abbott's Chief of Staff getting off a DUI despite pleading guilty.
Secondly, the appalling situation re only one woman in Cabinet.
Thirdly, missing out on key portfolios when assigning roles.
Fourthly, creating problems with Indonesia over foreign policy.
Fifthly, sacking heads of important departments, without any warning, simply because they have different political views to Abbott.

Oh, and how long has this government been in for... officially one day!!
Great start ;)
Last edited by bulldogproud2 on Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bulldogproud2
League - Best 21

Postby Psyber » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:45 pm

bulldogproud2 wrote:
... and he would have therefore sent us into a recession we would still be trying to recover from. At the time of the GFC, Abbott stated that there is no way Australia would avoid double-digit unemployment and it would last a long time!!
The stimulus stopped this from happening. Btw, I think you will find at least 95% of schools happy with the money that was spent on them during this time. Also, haven't heard of too many voters handing back the money they were given at the time. ;)
Cheers

I'm not convinced the stimulus did anything but help provide the spin to make Rudd and the ALP look good to their believers.
I'm also not convinced, based on his approach to the crisis in 1987-88, that ALP hero Paul Keating would have thought it necessary or likely to do anything real.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 397 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Psyber » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:53 pm

bulldogproud2 wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:I have to admit, I am disappointed at not having a named Minister for about 100 of my special interests
OMFG, are they ignoring them and the 100 people who actually care about each issue and require a special mention?
So, Aged Care, Health and Science don't matter??????
Give it a rest ;)

Firstly, political interference resulting in Abbott's Chief of Staff getting off a DUI despite pleading guilty.

Great start ;)

It doesn't matter what you call the Ministries, it is what they do that matters.
The grandiose, and long, politically correct names given to them by the ALP were just symbolism, and primarily fodder for their spin doctors to work with.

I can understand disappointed lefties looking for something to wail about, but, realistically, we need to wait and see what happens.
Starting a premature propaganda war is a little pointless.
Psyber
Coach

Postby bulldogproud2 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:00 pm

Psyber wrote:
bulldogproud2 wrote:
Give it a rest ;)

Great start ;)

It doesn't matter what you call the Ministries, it is what they do that matters.
The grandiose, and long, politically correct names given to them by the ALP were just symbolism, and primarily fodder for their spin doctors to work with.

I can understand disappointed lefties looking for something to wail about, but, realistically, we need to wait and see what happens.

No, they were not just symbolism. We all know that most Liberals (apart from Malcolm Turnbull) are definitely not advocates for scientific viewpoints so, I guess, are not surprised that there is no Minister of Science any more.
Also, Abbott has never really worried about people outside of business so it doesn't surprise that people on Aged Care or with Disabilities are of lesser concern. His concern, as with most Liberals, is on those who are productive within the Australian economy. Those who face difficulties in doing that will be pretty much overlooked by this government, definitely not just a symbolism factor.

Then again, is anything a surprise when the LNP said all along that 'they want to be in government', rather than 'they want to govern'. Status has always been Abbott's interest, not carrying out what the status actually involves.
This even goes back to his days as a student at Riverview, a sister school of the one I teach at!
Cheers
bulldogproud2
League - Best 21

Postby Psyber » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:25 pm

bulldogproud2 wrote: No, they were not just symbolism. We all know that most Liberals (apart from Malcolm Turnbull) are definitely not advocates for scientific viewpoints so, I guess, are not surprised that there is no Minister of Science any more.
Also, Abbott has never really worried about people outside of business so it doesn't surprise that people on Aged Care or with Disabilities are of lesser concern. His concern, as with most Liberals, is on those who are productive within the Australian economy. Those who face difficulties in doing that will be pretty much overlooked by this government, definitely not just a symbolism factor.

Then again, is anything a surprise when the LNP said all along that 'they want to be in government', rather than 'they want to govern'. Status has always been Abbott's interest, not carrying out what the status actually involves.
This even goes back to his days as a student at Riverview, a sister school of the one I teach at!
Cheers
Your generalisations as highlighted are an indication of where you are coming from - blind bias.
What you say about Tony Abbott himself may or may not have some truth to it - I'm prepared to keep an open mind on that until I see what happens.

However, Tony Abbott is just one of the cabinet - the Liberal leader is not an absolute presidential leader backed by an outside Caucus.
He has to keep the trust and belief of his colleagues.

Malcolm Turnbull is not the only Liberal MP to have shown positive interest in issues of science and health in my exchanges with them.
Greg Hunt was actively interested, even responding personally to issues I raised by email about climate change, in a positive manner, on a Sunday afternoon within a few hours of my sending it.
I've never had an ALP federal pollie respond same day or personally to any issue I've raised with them.
(Although Julia Gillard displayed a sense of humour when I emailed her saying I'd take some of those mouse mats she "couldn't give away" by sending me some.)

If your generalisation to "most Liberals" is not just restricted to elected members you are even insulting a substantial part the national population without basis.
That is rather irrational.
Psyber
Coach

Postby bulldogproud2 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:37 pm

True, I should refine my comment to: 'There are a higher proportion of people who vote for conservative parties who are quick to dismiss scientific findings such as climate change' This is a factual statement. It still does not change the fact that the LNP decided to not appoint a Science Minister. If, as some poster stated above, they appointed Ministers for areas that are of concern for the community, then it would follow that the LNP is not concerned re scientific study.
Does not change the context of my point at all ;)
Happy??

Cheers
bulldogproud2
League - Best 21

Postby bulldogproud2 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:41 pm

Psyber wrote:
bulldogproud2 wrote:
Give it a rest ;)

Great start ;)

Talking of blind political bias.. the point highlighted above is certainly one. Pot calling kettle black perhaps??? ;)
bulldogproud2
League - Best 21

Postby Psyber » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:50 pm

bulldogproud2 wrote: Talking of blind political bias.. the point highlighted above is certainly one. Pot calling kettle black perhaps??? ;)
Possibly! :lol:
But can you find an example where any other government created so many ministries with very long names, or such PC titles?
Psyber
Coach

Postby bulldogproud2 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:55 pm

Psyber wrote:
bulldogproud2 wrote: Talking of blind political bias.. the point highlighted above is certainly one. Pot calling kettle black perhaps??? ;)
But can you find an example where any other government created so many ministries with very long names, or such PC titles?

Well, at least you knew which Minister to approach. Their porfolios were very clearly spelt out ;)
Very hard now for someone with an Aged Care concern or a Disability concern or a Scientific concern to know who to turn to :D
For instance, Science concerns a lot more than just Industry. To Abbott, it would appear that he is only interesed in scientific concerns from a business perspective.
I definitely respect your opinions very much btw, Pysber, even if we are at opposite ends politically.

Cheers
bulldogproud2
League - Best 21

Postby Psyber » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:17 pm

bulldogproud2 wrote:
Psyber wrote:
Well, at least you knew which Minister to approach. Their porfolios were very clearly spelt out ;)
Very hard now for someone with an Aged Care concern or a Disability concern or a Scientific concern to know who to turn to :D
For instance, Science concerns a lot more than just Industry. To Abbott, it would appear that he is only interesed in scientific concerns from a business perspective.
I definitely respect your opinions very much btw, Pysber, even if we are at opposite ends politically.

Cheers
In general I'd expect Aged Care and Disability to come under Health, and Science to come under both Education and Industry portfolios - teaching and application respectively.
If I couldn't work out from the web site which was the place to start I'd contact my local MP who would point me in the right direction - that is part of their job.

Frankly, the way to get any attention in the cabinet room is to get enough of your like-minded group to pester their local MPs.
It is local members, worried by the approaches or letters they get, who get the attention of the Minister.
Petitions are easily dismissed on the grounds that they are often signed by people without much thought because they are put in front of them.
Actively approaching MPs by mail or in person reflects greater commitment and motivation.

Ditto re the respect in our debates.
Psyber
Coach

Postby bulldogproud2 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:32 pm

Psyber, definitely agree with you re the work of local members (as long as they can work out which Minister to approach ;) ) and the futility of petitions.
Re aged care and disability, I sort of agree with you but see these groups as being faced with much more issues than just health matters. There are many concerns that they have in many areas of life: accommodation, transport etc. With so many people in society being elderly now and/or having disabilities and impairments, I would have thought they did deserve separate ministries.
Re Science, it would make more sense to just have one portfolio for it rather than two. As such, rather than have it under both Education and Industry (or Innovation), there was definitely merit in having a separate portfolio for it.

I honestly am a bit concerned that the choice of portfolios does say a bit about the priorities of the new government, and that the elderly and people with disabilities are going to be nearly forgotten about, whilst Science is put on the backburner.

Cheers
bulldogproud2
League - Best 21

Postby shoe boy » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:27 pm

Tony last night being interviewed "the people have spoken and they trust me"(not as fluent as that obviously) Now tony f--k off I don't trust you or remotely like you! :D
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 491 times
Been liked: 208 times

Postby Gozu » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:11 pm

shoe boy wrote:Tony last night being interviewed "the people have spoken and they trust me"(not as fluent as that obviously) Now tony f--k off I don't trust you or remotely like you! :D

Was it written down? ;)
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 663 times

Postby mick » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:40 pm

Psyber wrote:
bulldogproud2 wrote:
Give it a rest ;)

Great start ;)

=D>
mick
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby bulldogproud2 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:05 pm

Gozu wrote:
shoe boy wrote:Tony last night being interviewed "the people have spoken and they trust me"(not as fluent as that obviously) Now tony f--k off I don't trust you or remotely like you! :D

Was it written down? ;)

As we all know that Tony has publicly stated that the only time he can be known as telling the truth is when he is reading a pre-prepared speech. Still cannot believe why he said that!!!
bulldogproud2
League - Best 21

Postby Psyber » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:11 am

It is all in your perspective.
I had the same problem with Kevin Rudd, Julia Gillard, and Paul Keating, but had a grudging respect for Bob Hawke, and some real trust in Kim Beasley.

I'm not sure I do entirely trust Tony Abbott's judgement on some issues, but, being financially cautious/conservative by nature, I have to lean towards the Liberal party.
My hope is that other cabinet members will impose a certain limiting restraint, which the ALP didn't seem to be united enough to do with their leaders.
Psyber
Coach

Postby Gozu » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:58 pm

Boats? What boats?

Labor's immigration spokesman Tony Burke has attacked the Federal Government's changes to announcements about asylum seeker boat arrivals, warning of a "culture of secrecy".

The previous government issued media alerts every time a boat arrived, but no new alerts have been issued since the new Government was sworn in.

The ABC asked both Customs and the Immigration Department whether any boats have arrived in recent days, but the questions were referred back to the Minister's office.

A spokesman for the Immigration Minister Scott Morrison would not say if any boats had arrived, and said further details about the Government's Operation Sovereign Borders policy would be provided soon.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2013-09-2 ... ls/4972760
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 663 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics