Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

Postby Psyber » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:01 pm

bennymacca wrote: the debt is still going up under Libs though.
Massive furphy to say they are doing any better with the economy

Good try at shifting the blame by repeating the party line!

However, that debt is still going up because it was an ALP created a juggernaut that has momentum that would keep the debt rising in its tail. It was always going to take time to reach its peak before it began to slow and stop under a more financially responsible government.

The Libs first budget would have slowed it faster than is happening now, but it failed to get accepted. What the Libs are to blame for is a clumsy first budget that was poorly shaped and presented, and so inevitably rejected by the public and the parliament.

That doesn't exonerate the ALP for creating the juggernaut in the first place though ...

I do blame the Libs for not presenting a better and more well thought through first budget, then losing their nerve when the polls went bad as a result, and softening too much the approach to curtailing the debt growth. (Resorting to a traditional ALP public favour buying style.)

As a result, the ALP induced momentum will continue for longer than was ideal, but based on my experience of living through and running a business during the Whitlam and the Keating eras, I sincerely believe the debt would be climbing faster now had the ALP still been in charge.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 395 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Q. » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:23 pm

But the Libs actually increased spending!
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby RustyCage » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:08 pm

Finally, Pyne is finally out of the education portfolio. Hopefully whoever comes in can start repairing some of the damage he has done
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby bennymacca » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:43 pm

Psyber wrote:

However, that debt is still going up because it was an ALP created a juggernaut that has momentum that would keep the debt rising in its tail. It was always going to take time to reach its peak before it began to slow and stop under a more financially responsible government.

The Libs first budget would have slowed it faster than is happening now, but it failed to get accepted. What the Libs are to blame for is a clumsy first budget that was poorly shaped and presented, and so inevitably rejected by the public and the parliament.

That doesn't exonerate the ALP for creating the juggernaut in the first place though ...

I do blame the Libs for not presenting a better and more well thought through first budget, then losing their nerve when the polls went bad as a result, and softening too much the approach to curtailing the debt growth. (Resorting to a traditional ALP public favour buying style.)

As a result, the ALP induced momentum will continue for longer than was ideal, but based on my experience of living through and running a business during the Whitlam and the Keating eras, I sincerely believe the debt would be climbing faster now had the ALP still been in charge.

spending, both under labor and now under liberal is manageable.

but dont try to tell me that it is all because of labor. that is a load of crap
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby shoe boy » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:29 am

bennymacca wrote:
Bully wrote:
Billy boy - "my faith and vote is in the PM" ...when rudd was PM
Billy Boy - "my faith and vote is with the PM " ...when julia was PM"

Cheers....

I wonder what your thoughts about Julie Bishop are then![/quote]

She is a snake!
But what do you expect from this government ?
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:33 pm

Gee Tone wasnt happy and let everyone know that Morrison didnt warn him of a challenge.

however I reckon Morrison told Credlin.....
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11938 times
Been liked: 3639 times

Postby shoe boy » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:44 pm

RustyCage wrote:Same shit, different shovel

You can put lipstick on a pig but it is still a pig !
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby Q. » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:46 am

Meta data retention laws kick in today. Sad day for Australia really.
Q.
Coach

Postby stan » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:22 am

Q. wrote:Meta data retention laws kick in today. Sad day for Australia really.

Well really meta data has always been used in this way, now its when you can be prosecuted really. Although nobody would ever admit to that.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1256 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Psyber » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:37 am

bennymacca wrote:
Psyber wrote:

The lefty "debt doesn't matter " philosophy...
(That is "if someone else is in a bigger mess than us we can claim we are OK" - as if relativity is all that matters.)

Look at the history of government debt and business collapse.

I've been involved in business during three episodes of excessive debt and business collapse due to the uncertainty engendered by it:

1. Under the Whitlam Government when I got lucky and cashed in on the subsequent inflation of house prices.

2. Under Keating, with a little help from John Bannon, when I lost $50K on a small business as the economy folded, but picked up a profit of $26K on selling a second hand Porsche, and managed to pick up the rest by selling the business premises to an economic optimist, who subsequently went broke.

3. Rudd - fortunately I'm not vulnerable to real losses this time ,but my super fund earnings are just beginning to recover form the slump. I coped with that reduced income by going back to occasional contract work after 3 years of full retirement.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 395 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby tipper » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:16 am

i think this is relevant to that... https://delimiter.com.au/2015/10/12/att ... on-scheme/

edit, i should explain the link a bit shouldnt i?. it is a story talking about how the federal attorney generals dept havent signed off on several isp's data retention plans, despite the isp's submitting the plans on time as requested. they have no idea if their plans will comply witht he new laws as the AG hasnt gotten back to them yet
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby Q. » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:20 am

Australia's super funds took a hit due to global trends. History now shows that Rudd and Swan did a remarkable job of stimulating our economy and maintaining low unemployment when most other developed nations failed to under trying circumstances.
Q.
Coach

Postby stan » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:33 pm

Psyber wrote:
bennymacca wrote:
Psyber wrote:

The lefty "debt doesn't matter " philosophy...
(That is "if someone else is in a bigger mess than us we can claim we are OK" - as if relativity is all that matters.)

Look at the history of government debt and business collapse.

I've been involved in business during three episodes of excessive debt and business collapse due to the uncertainty engendered by it:

1. Under the Whitlam Government when I got lucky and cashed in on the subsequent inflation of house prices.

2. Under Keating, with a little help from John Bannon, when I lost $50K on a small business as the economy folded, but picked up a profit of $26K on selling a second hand Porsche, and managed to pick up the rest by selling the business premises to an economic optimist, who subsequently went broke.

3. Rudd - fortunately I'm not vulnerable to real losses this time ,but my super fund earnings are just beginning to recover form the slump. I coped with that reduced income by going back to occasional contract work after 3 years of full retirement.

I'm not saying these guys did a half decent job or that the debt problem is squarely on there heads, but perhaps your super liberals can stop **** assing around and do what they claimed they would do.

At the moment all they have done is increase spending and add to it, then bitch and moan about the previous government and that the senators made up of small independents and flog parties who they openly originally treated with distain aren't working with them.

Don't get me wrong, the lefties give me the shits just as much as anyone. But come on, all sides have been beyond shit lately.
stan
Coach

Postby stan » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:36 pm

If its that much of an issue look the lesser of the evils:

1. Facebook for direct messaging - Although facebook are hardly clean in this area they are very unlikely to give up there data to Aussie police.
2. Use Gmail or an overseas server type email provider. Same as above
3. TOR
4. If your tech savvie enough set up a VPN
stan
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:43 pm

Vpn ftw. And if you use getflix for your vpn you can also get their DNS redirection service and get the US Netflix
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:50 am

Has this been a ploy by the Libs, keep Turnbull pretty much invisible in his first few weeks?

Seriously, is he the least seen Prime Minister in recent times?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7526 times
Been liked: 10831 times

Postby bennymacca » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:57 am

Booney wrote:Has this been a ploy by the Libs, keep Turnbull pretty much invisible in his first few weeks?

Turnbull invisible?

You must be watching different news to me.

The difference is he isn't putting his foot in his mouth every 4 minutes
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:00 am

bennymacca wrote:
Booney wrote:Has this been a ploy by the Libs, keep Turnbull pretty much invisible in his first few weeks?

Turnbull invisible?

You must be watching different news to me.

The difference is he isn't putting his foot in his mouth every 4 minutes

I do tend to tune out when I hear "...in Canberra today"
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby stan » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:24 am

Boon I think the media has had less to crap on about. Turnbull can talk for a least 5 mims without making 400 gaffs.
stan
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:28 am

stan wrote:Boon I think the media has had less to crap on about. Turnbull can talk for a least 5 mims without making 400 gaffs.

Perhaps that's what is happening, less opportunity for the negative headline than is predecessor(s).
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics