Doom and Gloom. Talk of a Recession.

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Doom and Gloom. Talk of a Recession.

Postby overloaded » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:21 pm

Yes mate, but my point is if there is another recession looming the money isn't there to be spent on an easy stimulus package answer
therealROSSCO wrote:Now listen to this loud and clear.....

I have not been approached to coach at the WFC this year, next year or any year. I have not approached the WFC to coach this year, next year or any year. This is an unconditional statement.
overloaded
2009 Punting Comp Winner

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Re: Doom and Gloom. Talk of a Recession.

Postby GWW » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:59 pm

Relying on Abbott as PM in poor economic times is a scary thought.

He reportedly has very little interest in/knowledge of, financial and economic matters. I think taht claim came from a Liberal Party source? May have been Costello..?

I would feel quite a bit more comfortable with Turnbull as PM, particularly if China falters a little, and our economy (and the global economy) struggles.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby bulldogproud2 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:00 pm

overloaded wrote:The stimulus package created a big hole in what was a healthy surplus. The next government won't have the privilege of spending money on one off donations, library extensions to school and
roof insulation.

That is exactly why a surplus is created though - to have money set aside to cover times like the Global Financial Crisis. Even now, Australia's Debt/GDP ratio is very low. Also, we are planning on moving back into surpluses. There will be money for future crises, just as long as they don't come too soon!! ;)
bulldogproud2
League - Best 21

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby bulldogproud2 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:01 pm

GWW wrote:Relying on Abbott as PM in poor economic times is a scary thought.

He reportedly has very little interest in/knowledge of, financial and economic matters. I think taht claim came from a Liberal Party source? May have been Costello..?

I would feel quite a bit more comfortable with Turnbull as PM, particularly if China falters a little, and our economy (and the global economy) struggles.

Well, after all, Tony Abbott did get an E in Economics at Year 11. Hardly surprising that he has little financial and economic knowledge. ;)
bulldogproud2
League - Best 21

Postby GWW » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:08 pm

..and to think he was a Rhodes Scholar too.

He must have liquid paper-ed out his Economics Grades (although I don't think Tippex was invented back then :) ).

Perhaps Joe Hockey will save us from an economic Depression.

Or Barnaby Joyce :shock:
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby bulldogproud2 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:18 pm

Admittedly, we are hard markers in the Jesuit system, and Tony did improve a lot in Year 12 ;)
bulldogproud2
League - Best 21

Postby gossipgirl » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:00 pm

GWW wrote:Relying on Abbott as PM in poor economic times is a scary thought.

Not a big fan of Abbott although he is pretty funny but just about fall asleep when he talks. He ...... Talks .... with ...... very ......... big .... pauses !!!!! But seriously does the PM need much economic knowledhed considering they have heaps of advisors and ministers etc. He would just be the puppet for the puppet masters
Adelaide Crows World champions 2017 - Crows 4.11 to Lions 4.5
gossipgirl
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1436 times
Been liked: 57 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby Sojourner » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:34 pm

McCracken homes have now fallen over, two more firms may go over with them.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/business/ ... 6585333699
Steamranger, South Australia's best ever Tourist Attraction, Treat Yourself, Let your Money Buy you Happiness!!!
Sojourner
Veteran

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Ovingham

Postby southee » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:46 pm

Sojourner wrote:McCracken homes have now fallen over, two more firms may go over with them.

Correct Ben W . I predicted home builders will collapse in posts last year but was told I was being too pesimistic and negative by a few on here.

Well, Im out of my trade now and gone in a new direction. I know also of others tradies I still see that are not going well at all and are on the verge of closing shop for a career change as the "good time"have gone.

Pretty depressing if you were a young kid looking for a apprenticeship now. 40% youth unemployment in some parts of Adelaide.

It is not pretty. :(
Is out of change.....thanks Cambridge Clarrie!!!
southee
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 861 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby dedja » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:54 pm

not good at all ...
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 220 times
Been liked: 1039 times

Postby Sky Pilot » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:26 am

southee wrote:
Sojourner wrote:McCracken homes have now fallen over, two more firms may go over with them.

Correct Ben W . I predicted home builders will collapse in posts last year but was told I was being too pesimistic and negative by a few on here.

Well, Im out of my trade now and gone in a new direction. I know also of others tradies I still see that are not going well at all and are on the verge of closing shop for a career change as the "good time"have gone.

Pretty depressing if you were a young kid looking for a apprenticeship now. 40% youth unemployment in some parts of Adelaide.

It is not pretty. :(

Yeah State and Federal Labor has certainly done a lot to help youth employment.
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Grassroots Team: BMW

Postby Dog_ger » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:24 pm

A Major Vehicle builder in Australia is about to announce they are going Off Shore. :(
Smile :)

It's only Money $$$ :)

What is happening to our SANFL guys...
Dog_ger
Coach

Been liked: 19 times

Postby Sky Pilot » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:41 pm

Dog_ger wrote:A Major Vehicle builder in Australia is about to announce they are going Off Shore. :(

Could you blame them? The cost of employing people in Australia is outrageous and simply unaffordable to many companies who have the resources to go off shore where there are no penalty rates, no annual leave loading and no interfering union bosses/work cover Gestapo/ sundry state and federal authorities etc telling you what you can and can't do.
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:47 pm

Sky Pilot wrote:
Dog_ger wrote:A Major Vehicle builder in Australia is about to announce they are going Off Shore. :(

Could you blame them? The cost of employing people in Australia is outrageous and simply unaffordable to many companies who have the resources to go off shore where there are no penalty rates, no annual leave loading and no interfering union bosses/work cover Gestapo/ sundry state and federal authorities etc telling you what you can and can't do.

Or is it because they aren't selling enough cars?
Cannabis is safer than alcohol
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 193 times

Postby Sky Pilot » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:19 pm

The Sleeping Giant wrote:
Sky Pilot wrote:

Yeah we'll that could be the case too. But they won't sell any more just because they make them in Indonesia or some other pox-ridden dump. Unless the price comes down dramatically. So equally to blame with the high cost of labour is the ineffective sales and marketing program and the service costs and frequency etc. car dealers want to make huge profits like real estate agents and both are dodgy.
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Postby southee » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:36 pm

The Sleeping Giant wrote:
Sky Pilot wrote:

Who wants to buy a expensive Australian made car when you can get a cheaper one made off shore and çheaper.

Like SP said the unions and government screaming for more wages and entitlements has killed the industry.

Government should also be blamed for letting the cheap cars in to the country too and not helping local companies ... This includes other industries too !!! ( food , construction etc)
Is out of change.....thanks Cambridge Clarrie!!!
southee
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 861 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby Sojourner » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:47 pm

My employer transferred a two month old Falcon from Vic to NSW which then had to have a roadworthy test - and was failed due to oil leaks....
Steamranger, South Australia's best ever Tourist Attraction, Treat Yourself, Let your Money Buy you Happiness!!!
Sojourner
Veteran

Has liked: 7 times
Grassroots Team: Ovingham

Postby Gozu » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:41 pm

southee wrote:Who wants to buy a expensive Australian made car when you can get a cheaper one made off shore and çheaper.

Correct.

Like SP said the unions and government screaming for more wages and entitlements has killed the industry.

A bold faced lie.

Government should also be blamed for letting the cheap cars in to the country too and not helping local companies ... This includes other industries too !!! ( food , construction etc)

The Howard government?
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Been liked: 660 times

Postby Q. » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:40 pm

Real wages have not kept up with productivity growth. This is why your average worker is demanding better pay and conditions.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Jimmy_041 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:05 pm

Gozu wrote:

The Howard government?

FMD - ever heard of the Button car plan?
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 728 times
Been liked: 1086 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics