Wingnuts and Loonies

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: Wingnuts and Loonies

Postby Q. » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:54 pm

Whatever was agreed upon during post-election negotations would technically be a mandate, wouldn't it?
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Psyber » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:19 pm

Quichey wrote:Whatever was agreed upon during post-election negotations would technically be a mandate, wouldn't it?
I tend to think mandates only come from the majority of the voters electing a government, after they put their proposals to the people during the election process.
Gaining power in other ways is another issue.

In this context I'd apply this definition from: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/mandate
a command or authorization to act in a particular way on a public issue given by the electorate to its representative: The president had a clear mandate to end the war.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 395 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Bat Pad » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:28 pm

Quichey wrote:Whatever was agreed upon during post-election negotations would technically be a mandate, wouldn't it?

No
Bat Pad
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time

Postby Q. » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:54 pm

Bat Pad wrote:

No

Are you sure? Any political scientists in the room?

As I understand it, none of the ALP's promises were mandated as they were not elected into Government. So what validity do the agreements made post-election have?
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Bat Pad » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:20 pm

Quichey wrote:
Bat Pad wrote:

No

Are you sure? Any political scientists in the room?

As I understand it, none of the ALP's promises were mandated as they were not elected into Government. So what validity do the agreements made post-election have?

I terms of them being mandated, none. A mandate can only come from the electorate.
Bat Pad
League Bench Warmer

Postby redandblack » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:28 pm

A mandate in Australian political terms means nothing except as a word used by either party to support their argument for or against a particular policy.

A political party is voted in on a number of policies, some of which are put into effect and some which aren't.

For example, did John Howard have a mandate to bring in WorkChoices? It wasn't part of his policy at the election. Doesn't matter, he had the numbers in Parliament and it happened regardless.

In the current situation, I think both sides of the argument are correct. There is no mandate to bring in a carbon tax, but that's irrelevant, as I said. The fact that it's a minority government obviously changes things greatly. For example again, if the Independents had sided with Tony Abbott, he would have had to (and was prepared to) change his policies as necessary.

The mandate question is irrelevant. Whether Julia Gillard breaking an election promise costs her is a separate question that will be answered in due course.
redandblack

Postby mick » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:44 pm

I actually agree with all of that :?
mick
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Gozu » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:27 pm

redandblack wrote:A mandate in Australian political terms means nothing except as a word used by either party to support their argument for or against a particular policy.

A political party is voted in on a number of policies, some of which are put into effect and some which aren't.

For example, did John Howard have a mandate to bring in WorkChoices? It wasn't part of his policy at the election. Doesn't matter, he had the numbers in Parliament and it happened regardless.

In the current situation, I think both sides of the argument are correct. There is no mandate to bring in a carbon tax, but that's irrelevant, as I said. The fact that it's a minority government obviously changes things greatly. For example again, if the Independents had sided with Tony Abbott, he would have had to (and was prepared to) change his policies as necessary.

The mandate question is irrelevant. Whether Julia Gillard breaking an election promise costs her is a separate question that will be answered in due course.

Agreed it doesn't mean anything and means whatever the govt of the day wants it to mean.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Been liked: 660 times

Postby scoob » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:52 pm

Gozu wrote:
redandblack wrote:A mandate in Australian political terms means nothing except as a word used by either party to support their argument for or against a particular policy.

Agreed it doesn't mean anything and means whatever the govt of the day wants it to mean.

I actually disagree with that - a mandate does mean something, if the public vote in a government knowing what the policies will be they have a mandate for it. The govt of the day don't change the meaning of that - as R&B has said they don't have a mandate and don't need one to bring in legislation as it their right as a govt. - whether the public lets them get away with it or not will be decided. With the length of time between elections and the changing circumstances within that time frame it would be impossible for a govt to have a mandate on all proposed legislation
scoob
Veteran

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 87 times

Postby Psyber » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:35 pm

mick wrote:I actually agree with all of that :?
I agree with what R&B said, but not Gozu's extrapolation.
The term "mandate" does have a meaning relating to policy presented to the public and supported by the vote the follows.
Politicians on both sides have tended to destroy its meaning by claiming they have one for everything they decide to do.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 395 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Sky Pilot » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:49 pm

We get the government we vote for. Except perhaps when (for example) in the seat of Example-Squared 30% of people vote for candidtate xyz, 30% vote for candidate abc and 40% vote for candidate 'are you being served' who gets in despite 60% of the people not wanting that outcome. Oh hang on...I forgot about the preference system. Talk about wing nuts and loonies? If we jacked the Westminister System and went first past the post the looney green/labour simpletons would romp it in I think. So lets just hope that we get the government that can end up doing the least amount of damage before they get chucked out. Liberal or Green/Labor - there's no Brownlow Medallists or rocket scientists here.
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: BMW

Postby redandblack » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:54 pm

I agree with your 30/30/40 analysis, SP.

You state that 60% of the voters didn't vote for Candidate 3, who wins with 40%.

First past the post would give you the same result and might even elect one of the 30% candidates!

I've long thought the only ideal system was one where everybody's preferences were counted.

This would be administratively difficult, though, but only counting defeated candidates preferences effectively gives them 2 votes.

If I get time, I'll put up an example to show what I mean
redandblack

Postby Bat Pad » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:15 pm

If we had a first past the post system the coalition would have won the last election.
Bat Pad
League Bench Warmer

Postby redandblack » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:35 pm

And Labor would have won most of the elections from WW2 until recently.
redandblack

Previous

Board index   General Talk  Politics