1500 digital TVs for South Australia's prisoners

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: 1500 digital TVs for South Australia's prisoners

Postby Psyber » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:47 am

I've been in Yatala but only to interview the occasional prisoner - it is a bit chilling.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 395 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby White Line Fever » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:48 am

Psyber wrote:I've been in Yatala but only to interview the occasional prisoner - it is a bit chilling.

Why?
Does anyone else have first hand prison stories??
White Line Fever
League - Top 5

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 16 times

Postby Psyber » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:19 am

White Line Fever wrote:
Psyber wrote:I've been in Yatala but only to interview the occasional prisoner - it is a bit chilling.
Why?
Does anyone else have first hand prison stories??
What I found chilling was the thick walls and the sense of being locked in, even though I knew they would let me out..
I am just a touch claustrophobic which was possibly a factor.

I also interviewed and assessed the occasional person in the unit for the "Criminally Insane" that used to be attached to Yatala.
I remember in particular a woman who had killed about 6 people over 2 years in the Norwood area in the 1970s.
[ I interviewed her with a guard standing in a corner of the office.]
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 395 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby fish » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:24 am

If you'll pardon the pun - it seems that some people are failing to see the big picture here.
fish
Coach

Has liked: 185 times
Been liked: 48 times

Postby redandblack » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:37 am

The case of Pauline Hanson might be relevant here.

Before she went to prison, she held the strong view that prison life was holiday and punishment should be toughened.

On her release, she was asked if she still held that view.

She replied 'no'.

I always wonder why this wasn't followed up with her at the time, but I think it indicates that it certainly isn't a holiday. Psyber's experience underlines that also.
redandblack

Postby mick » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:59 am

To a person who is not an habitual criminal prison is a nightmare, even in the "soft" institutions like Cadell, I have known two inmates at Cadell, one was convicted of a white collar crime, the other an habitual drink driver. Apart from these crimes they were "decent" people. It certainly wasn't a holiday for them, its a scary place lots of standover and intimidation from the "pros". I also know a number of prison officers, all have a hard line attitude to prisoners, one complaint is that prisoners can smoke in prison, the guards can't, prisoners get ciggies and tobacco without GST, the guards don't. However I was told these concessions are designed to make the inmates more manageable. I suspect the TVs are a similar strategy.
mick
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Gozu » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:20 pm

"If the figures don’t say what we want them to say, they must be wrong":

Ever noticed how, if you rely on the tabloid media, you’re always being told that crime is getting worse? That it’s just one slow, devastating slide into anarchy and chaos, it never gets any better – no matter how many “tough on crime” policies our politicians implement (thereby apparently proving that we need to get tougher until it eventually works)… That there’s never any improvement, no matter what we try.

When crime figures are released that actually show crime rates dropping, we don’t see the reverse of the headlines we get when they increase. Quite the contrary – we get attacks on the figures themselves. How dare they contradict our narrative! We’ve told you [our version of] what’s going on, and we’ll only accept the figures that back us up. Anything else must be a lie.

And their readers lap it up uncritically.

http://blogs.crikey.com.au/purepoison/2 ... -be-wrong/

Just remember: your parents thought the world was descending into anarchy when you were a teenager. So did theirs thirty years earlier. And those before them. Try to remember how out of touch you knew they were then.

And remember that the tabloids are selling you something. You don’t have to buy it.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby Ronnie » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:49 pm

Gozu wrote:"If the figures don’t say what we want them to say, they must be wrong":

Ever noticed how, if you rely on the tabloid media, you’re always being told that crime is getting worse? That it’s just one slow, devastating slide into anarchy and chaos, it never gets any better – no matter how many “tough on crime” policies our politicians implement (thereby apparently proving that we need to get tougher until it eventually works)… That there’s never any improvement, no matter what we try.

When crime figures are released that actually show crime rates dropping, we don’t see the reverse of the headlines we get when they increase. Quite the contrary – we get attacks on the figures themselves. How dare they contradict our narrative! We’ve told you [our version of] what’s going on, and we’ll only accept the figures that back us up. Anything else must be a lie.

And their readers lap it up uncritically.

http://blogs.crikey.com.au/purepoison/2 ... -be-wrong/

Just remember: your parents thought the world was descending into anarchy when you were a teenager. So did theirs thirty years earlier. And those before them. Try to remember how out of touch you knew they were then.

And remember that the tabloids are selling you something. You don’t have to buy it.

He's a little arrogant in his thinking about parents. The one's i have know more and more the older i get....
Ronnie
Reserves

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 84 times

Postby redden whites » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:34 pm

Leon Byner to thread......Leon Byner to thread....... :roll: :roll:
redden whites
League - Best 21

Been liked: 8 times
Grassroots Team: Jamestown-Peterborough

Postby redden whites » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:41 pm

Hondo wrote:A $600 TV doesn't magically offset not having your freedom. In fact, they have TVs now anyway that have become redundant since analog was switched off. So you either pay for set top boxes and someone to come in and install them all or you buy new ones. If TVs in prison cells are a huge issue why weren't we onto it in such an emotional way before with the TVs they had then.

I have never been in prison. I am sure a lot of a reactionaries to this story have never been in prison either. I am also sure prison, even with a flat screen TV, would rate 0.1 of one star on the accomodation rating scheme with the added bonus that you can't go anywhere outside the prison. I have no problem if it is only 0.1 of one star as they are there as punishment. If you live in a tin shed and have a TV you still live in a tin shed.

^:)^ End of thread; sanity pevails.
redden whites
League - Best 21

Been liked: 8 times
Grassroots Team: Jamestown-Peterborough

Postby Media Park » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:57 am

Hondo wrote:A $600 TV doesn't magically offset not having your freedom. In fact, they have TVs now anyway that have become redundant since analog was switched off. So you either pay for set top boxes and someone to come in and install them all or you buy new ones. If TVs in prison cells are a huge issue why weren't we onto it in such an emotional way before with the TVs they had then.

I have never been in prison. I am sure a lot of a reactionaries to this story have never been in prison either. I am also sure prison, even with a flat screen TV, would rate 0.1 of one star on the accomodation rating scheme with the added bonus that you can't go anywhere outside the prison. I have no problem if it is only 0.1 of one star as they are there as punishment. If you live in a tin shed and have a TV you still live in a tin shed.

And I assume the cabling between the tv and box would be a security/safety issue also, so they wouldn't have had a lot of choice in the matter.
Direct quote:
Wedgie wrote:I wear skin tight arseless leather pants, wtf do you wear?
Media Park
Coach

Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby Hondo » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:31 pm

I heard a theory that the flat screens prevent things being hidden inside which must have been a problem with the old ones?
In between signatures .....
Hondo
Coach

Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 32 times

Previous

Board index   General Talk  Politics