Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: Abbott Watch

Postby fish » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:13 pm

straight talker wrote:...is there any chance you could get hold of the temperature of the world for the last 50 years and the sea level??
Here's the temperature record for the last 130 or so years, showing a definite increasing trend:
Fig_A2.gif
Fig_A2.gif (30.71 KiB) Viewed 4418 times

And here is the sea level over the same period:
Recent_Sea_Level_Rise.png
Recent_Sea_Level_Rise.png (46.62 KiB) Viewed 4416 times
fish
Coach

Has liked: 185 times
Been liked: 48 times

Postby straight talker » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:21 pm

wow cant see too many dramas there?! cant see our country being under water by 2100 thats for sure just looks like all natural increase to me. I was under the impression that we are in diabolical trouble. Disasters happening the end of the world!!!
straight talker

Postby fish » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:25 pm

Here is the atmospheric carbon dioxide record that shows a significant increase over the last 130 years.
Carbon_Dioxide_400kyr.png
Carbon_Dioxide_400kyr.png (26.17 KiB) Viewed 4407 times
fish
Coach

Postby redandblack » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:28 pm

Can't see any dramas there, mate. ;)

"Interest rates will always be higher under Labor" John Howard. ;)
redandblack

Postby straight talker » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:30 pm

wow dont trees need co2 to survive? what about Australias pollution do you really think we made a significant contribution to these levels compared to Russia,India,China,Brazil,USA etc:??
straight talker

Postby straight talker » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:35 pm

id like to put money on interest rates being the highest in our history shortly without a dought.Everything Labor has touched has turned to rubbish and our bad times have only just begun especially if they keep borrowing hundreds of millions of dollars a day! oh well the Liberal party will get our debt payed AGAIN.
straight talker

Postby GWW » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:41 pm

I doubt interest rates under Gillard will get anywhere near those under previous Treasurers Howard and Keating.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby wycbloods » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:43 pm

straight talker wrote:id like to put money on interest rates being the highest in our history shortly without a dought.Everything Labor has touched has turned to rubbish and our bad times have only just begun especially if they keep borrowing hundreds of millions of dollars a day! oh well the Liberal party will get our debt payed AGAIN.

:roll: :roll:
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Dr. Rev. Martin Luther King Jnr.

CoverKing said what?

Agree with AF on this one!
wycbloods
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby dedja » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:44 pm

Maybe the science about anthropogenic climate change isn't settled, maybe it is ...

What if the probability that it's real and that a catastrophe is imminent if no effective action is taken soon is say, 60%, or maybe 30%, or even just 5% or 1% ... should we start doing something about it?

Or another way of looking at it.

What if the chance of you being killed crossing the road at anytime is 60% ... would you cross?

If it was 30%, would your answer be the same?

What if it was just 1% ... that is a 1% chance that if you crossed a given road you would be killed? ... would you be game?

Are you familiar with risk management principles?

You know ... likelihood & consequence determines the risk rating.

So if the likelihood of anthropogenic climate change is extremely low, but the consequence is extreme, the risk rating will normally still be high (maybe not extreme).

Is it worth the risk?

You be the judge ...
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 222 times
Been liked: 1043 times

Postby fish » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:46 pm

straight talker wrote:...just looks like all natural increase to me.
This is what the latest science says:

It is beyond reasonable doubt that human activities – the burning of fossil fuels and deforestation – are triggering the changes we are witnessing in the global climate. A very large body of observations, experiments, analyses, and physical theory points to increasing greenhouse gases in the atmosphere – with carbon dioxide being the most important – as the primary cause of the observed warming. Increasing carbon dioxide emissions are primarily produced by the burning of fossil fuels, such as coal and oil, as well as deforestation. Natural factors, like changes in the Earth’s orbit or solar activity, cannot explain the world-wide warming trend.
fish
Coach

Postby straight talker » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:47 pm

only time will tell and i dont think it will be long. One things for sure swan wouldnt deserve to do up costellos bootlaces. As im sure you would appreciate the splendid job Howard and Costello done in fixing up Labors mess concerning the terrible debt they racked up whilst in power and what do you know its on the cards AGAIN.
straight talker

Postby redandblack » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:22 pm

st, please provide a comparison of economic indicators to back up your argument.

Particularly referring to unemployment, interest rates, growth, average wages real growth and other usual indicators.

You will find that rather than 'ruining the country', all those indicators show a strong economy envied by the rest of the world.

Oh, I don't count evidence such as "everyone nows", or "Andrew Bolt said".
redandblack

Postby straight talker » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:29 pm

i am no good at going back to remarks and bringing them back to a blog and then posting i have no idea how to do that. How can we be going good when we are borrowing hundreds of millions of dollars a day? How much debt did we have when Labor exited office before howard and costello took over? How much debt did we have when howard and costello left office and poor old kevin07 took over? how much debt do we have now???
straight talker

Postby dedja » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:36 pm

straight talker wrote:only time will tell and i dont think it will be long. One things for sure swan wouldnt deserve to do up costellos bootlaces. As im sure you would appreciate the splendid job Howard and Costello done in fixing up Labors mess concerning the terrible debt they racked up whilst in power and what do you know its on the cards AGAIN.

Just like Hawke and Keating did after Fraser and Howard ... and without the reforms of Hawke/Keating era, then Howard/Costello wouldn't have reaped as many benefits as they did, something that Howard and Costello have both acknowledged.

Whitlam was a basketcase financially, I'll give you that ... :lol:
dedja
Coach

Postby straight talker » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:41 pm

no remarks on my previous questions on debt? well have a look what the Labor party inherited how have they stuffed the whole show up?
straight talker

Postby dedja » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:43 pm

A global recession doesn't get factored into it? ... or the fact that Howard/Costello managed the balance sheet mainly by selling assets, namely Telstra?
dedja
Coach

Postby straight talker » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:46 pm

ah :lol: i thought that would be the reason, no incompetence involved? why are we now borrowing hundreds of million dollars a day if we have been and still are in the middle of a massive mining boom? and the government says this.
straight talker

Postby dedja » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:53 pm

no offence intended, but you do have an understanding of how an economy works? ... monetary policy? ... exchange rates? ... GDP? ... government deficits?

Just curious ...
dedja
Coach

Postby redandblack » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:54 pm

Australia has no debt problem, it's debt is amongst the lowest in the world.

I understand about you not posting comments on here, st, so I'm happy for you to just discuss the economic indicators I mentioned.

For example, unemployment is much lower now than under John Howard in 2007, as are interest rates, which haven't increased now for 10 months.

Real wages have grown.

So where is the country being 'ruined' economically? It's just not happening, except on anti-Government media.
redandblack

Postby straight talker » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:56 pm

Australia has no debt problem? i will get back to you with the results and will write them up.
straight talker

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics