Finger Injuries

Adelaide Footy League, Southern, Country Footy, VFL, WAFL, NTFL, etc.

Finger Injuries

Postby Number 36 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:24 pm

To all the budding sports meds out there - I have a serious case of 'Daniel Chick-itis' in that most weeks I seem to dislocate the ring finger on either my right or left hand, regardless of strapping. I normally strap them myself and wrap tape around the individual finger so I'm sure there's room for improvement.

Does anybody have any tips or hints on how to avoid and/or treat these injuries? I'm able to play out the games no worries but it gets bloody painful when it happens repeatedly.

Cutting it off is not an option either. Mrs would kill me!
Rugby: Picking the fat kids first since 1823
Number 36
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Re: Finger Injuries

Postby MW » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:36 pm

I used to strap my ring finger to the middle finger...if strapped properly it should be impossible to dislocate...unless you are talking about the knuckle nearest to the palm?
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2640 times
Been liked: 1868 times

Postby Number 36 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:58 pm

Cheers MW - that's what I've had to do in the games I've played so far once it's gone but I feel like that impedes a bit on my grip so I try to do that as emergency only.

The ones in question are definitely the middle knuckle. My technique since starting senior footy has been to simply use the stretchy finger tape to circle around the finger from bottom to top, with a bit thicker around the knuckle. It worked for a while but I think over time being a ruckman/forward and getting fingers punched every week has taken its toll.
Rugby: Picking the fat kids first since 1823
Number 36
Mini-League

Postby Bum Crack » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:02 pm

Maybe a finger plate that sits over the top of the finger, with a lined padding. Tape up from top to bottom of plate and see how that goes.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 321 times
Been liked: 896 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby Swamp Donkey » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:17 pm

Watch the ball........ if the balls hitting the top of your fingers each week then something must be amis with your technique Id imagine!
Swamp Donkey
League - Top 5

Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 129 times
Grassroots Team: Wunkar

Postby Q. » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:26 pm

Swamp Donkey wrote:Watch the ball........ if the balls hitting the top of your fingers each week then something must be amis with your technique Id imagine!

I was just talking about this last night with my coach, his theory being that the reason he has never dislocated his fingers is because he has the perfect marking technique.

I quashed his theory when I said that with that logic I would dislocate my fingers every time I touched a football :lol:
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby TEX07 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:18 pm

I strap my little finger and the one next to that kind of like you would strap a knee, works really well for me. What i have been told is that once you dislocate a finger it becomes easier and easier to dislocate the more it happens, the tendons streach apparantly???

I keep doing mine because i normally wear glasses but cant wear contacts so sometimes i dont see the ball as well as i should and my judgement is out. I have done mine about 5 or 6 times each but never with the tape done like they would strap a knee joint.
hola acabo de hacer que el yo se resuelve lo que este los medios en español
TEX07
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 140 times
Been liked: 49 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby Scouser » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:01 pm

Quichey wrote:
Swamp Donkey wrote:Watch the ball........ if the balls hitting the top of your fingers each week then something must be amis with your technique Id imagine!

I was just talking about this last night with my coach, his theory being that the reason he has never dislocated his fingers is because he has the perfect marking technique.

I quashed his theory when I said that with that logic I would dislocate my fingers every time I touched a football :lol:

have you seen Ian Healy's fingers? That guy has had them seriously f*d up over his career.

By your coach's logic, Healy mustn't have been a good glovesman...
Scouser

Been liked: 1 time

Postby Q. » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:07 pm

Scouser wrote:
Quichey wrote:

have you seen Ian Healy's fingers? That guy has had them seriously f*d up over his career.

So are you saying I should wear wicket keeping gloves when I play footy or to just stick to cricket :-k
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Scouser » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:02 am

Quichey wrote:
Scouser wrote:
Quichey wrote:

So are you saying I should wear wicket keeping gloves when I play footy or to just stick to cricket :-k

Definitely wear the wicket keeping gloves in matches, if you can get away with it!
Scouser

Postby piccachu » Wed May 05, 2010 11:22 am

the joys of being a wicket keeper, i have had a compound fracture on my llil finger of left hand broken my pointing finger also on left hand 5screw and a plate still in there and have lost count how many times i have dislocated the thumb on my left hand, its a pretty ordinary hand but doesnt compare to neil curleys they are the worst hands i have ever seen make ian healeys look straight
Were has Marbles gone and who is Satchel
piccachu
League - Top 5

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Portland

Postby Baron Greenback » Wed May 05, 2010 12:54 pm

I used to constantly injure my fingers playing football until my marking technique was corrected.
My fingers are now all bent out of shape, but have hardly injured them in the past 6-7 years.
I'd get someone to have a look at how you're marking the ball and see if there's anything that can be fixed.
Ham and eggs for breakfast, ham and eggs for tea
Baron Greenback
Coach

Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 26 times
Grassroots Team: Paringa

Postby Strawb » Tue May 25, 2010 9:16 pm

I used to be a book binder and fingers are needed in that job. I ended up with very bad tendentious of my right hand middle finger. I had the tendon sheath removed because it was better than constant injections.
I am the Voice Left From Drinking
Strawb
Coach

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 12 times
Grassroots Team: Wingfield Royals

Postby fabio » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:29 pm

You can buy this plastic stuff that molds around your finger when put under hot water.
i had a compound dislocation in my pinky and used this plastic mold each game with tape.
works a treat.
fabio
Rookie

Grassroots Team: Tanunda

Postby Footy Chick » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:12 pm

fabio wrote:You can buy this plastic stuff that molds around your finger when put under hot water.
i had a compound dislocation in my pinky and used this plastic mold each game with tape.
works a treat.

It certainly does work a treat. I highly endorse it :D
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1745 times
Been liked: 2155 times

Postby BIG SEXY » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:35 pm

fabio wrote:You can buy this plastic stuff that molds around your finger when put under hot water.
works a treat.

what is a compound dislocation?
compound fracture is where the bone protrudes through the skin right? is that the same thing with a compound dislocation?!
car 777 2010 class 7 state champions!
BIG SEXY
League - Best 21

Been liked: 3 times

Postby RedMagpie » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:59 am

BIG SEXY wrote:
works a treat.

what is a compound dislocation?
compound fracture is where the bone protrudes through the skin right? is that the same thing with a compound dislocation?!

I assume so, a lad on the weekend dislocated his fingure and it came through the skin but did not break!
RedMagpie
Under 16s

Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Footy Chick » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:04 am

yeah, it's a very uncommon injury...
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1745 times
Been liked: 2155 times

Postby BIG SEXY » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:50 pm

Footy Chick wrote:yeah, it's a very uncommon injury...

i bet its uncommon. been around footy alot and also injuries through MVAs and never seen it!
car 777 2010 class 7 state champions!
BIG SEXY
League - Best 21

Been liked: 3 times

Postby Swamp Donkey » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:54 pm

Scouser wrote:
Quichey wrote:

Id say if you asked him about the times in which he broke his finger, Im guessing he'd say he wasnt watching the ball or his technique lapsed!
Swamp Donkey
League - Top 5

Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 129 times
Grassroots Team: Wunkar

Next

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues